• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Of course they are. They instituted the 100k limit.

Then again everyone else is piggy backing off of Twitter's own work.

Though thats hypocritical in the extreme. Twitter was built on getting devs to make apps/clients. Then once it got popular they pulled the rug out from everyone and started to try and force people to no longer make clients. It seems devs as masochistic enough to keep working with them though, like beaten spouses.

What features do I need besides tweet, instant notifications, and be able to read tweets? I like ads and the UI is great (although a 5.0 material design wouldn't be bad).

Basics like showing photos from all sources (like Instagram) and not just links to photo. And prominence of lists. Plus the iOS like swiping in Fenix is great.

co1onel

Why can't I get rid of the voicemail notification? Its really annoying and I hate having to open up the app and actually listen to it just to get rid of the notification.

Sch1sm

Why can't I get rid of the voicemail notification? Its really annoying and I hate having to open up the app and actually listen to it just to get rid of the notification.

If it wasn't persistent you'd forget that one was left and never listen to your voicemail.

Wreav

Banned
That's not with the new version of touchwiz they are supposedly building from the ground up. Or am I wrong on this?

Do you have a link for that? Haven't heard anything about that one.

Seems like Sammy would be going all in on Tizen instead of wasting their time shining the turd that is Touchwiz.

using the official Twitter client is an act of cowardice. i will never use the official app simply because of how Twitter did all the devs that helped make them big dirty.

Wreav

Banned
I think it's this one
Galaxy Note 3 Android 5.0 Leak Analysis - http://www.xda-developers.com/analysis-of-the-galaxy-note-3-android-5-0-leak/

The Redditor that has the Note 3 with early 5.0 build said it's basically the same touchwiz we've been seeing in the videos. Yes, it's much more lightweight, but it's the same shit aesthetically. Lazy fucks didn't even make a flashlight toggle for the quicksettings, and you know their 1x1 widget is still frankenstein'd.

using the official Twitter client is an act of cowardice. i will never use the official app simply because of how Twitter did all the devs that helped make them big dirty.

If there was a client that has all the nav buttons on the bottom instead of the top iOS style, I'd probably use it.

Hasney

Honestly never realised that visual voicemail was a big deal. Used to forget I had it and just dialled the number when I had an iPhone.

andthebeatgoeson

Android's lack of inbuilt visual voicemail is one of the main reasons I switched back to iOS :|
So Verizon just caught up with Google? Never used that. I thought visual meant video voice mails. Which one costs money?

I use Google voice and some times, the call forwarding doesn't work as intended. I get a regular voice mail on the carrier system. And the *82 code sends me to my Google voice account. So I have to stop the call forwarding, check the voice mail, them put it back on. Just a pain to Google that info once every year because I forgot. Last time, I bookmarked the page and now they updated so I can check it through an app. Welcome to 5 years ago.

Android OS does have visual voicemail built in, but it requires a third party app to hook into it. For instance, I use Google Voice (I guess technically making it first party) for my visual voicemail. No Voice number required either. I use my at&t number. There's also an option in the settings to have the voicemail show up in your phone's dialer application.

JIyK5VT.jpg

Blackhead

Redarse
Android OS does have visual voicemail built in, but it requires a third party app to hook into it. For instance, I use Google Voice (I guess technically making it first party) for my visual voicemail.
lol wut, too many contradictions in these two sentences.

Anyway Google Voice is USA only. I don't want to use a third-party service to be honest, I don't trust these companies. Even if I did consider third-party apps though, my carrier doesn't support it. My carrier doesn't even offer its own Android visual voicemail app and basically required me to call in and use the keypad navigation like it's still fucking '05. I would have dumped this carrier already but the my plan is almost too good to give up.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I started using the Verizon Visual Voicemail on my new Droid Turbo. I just use the basic free version. I don't know how it compares to iPhone's visual voicemail but it's so much better than having to go through each message one at a time.

The hell is a visual voice mail and who the hell still used voice mail
What kind of question is this? People who... receive voiemails? I've gotten three in the past week and I'm not even that popular.

lol wut, too many contradictions in these two sentences.

Anyway Google Voice is USA only. I don't want to use a third-party service to be honest, I don't trust these companies. Even if I did consider third-party apps though, my carrier doesn't support it. My carrier doesn't even offer its own Android visual voicemail app and basically required me to call in and use the keypad navigation like it's still fucking '05. I would have dumped this carrier already but the my plan is almost too good to give up.
What I'm saying is Android natively supports visual voicemail. The APIs and code or whatever is there, but for whatever reason, Google doesn't show or allow those settings in the dialer app. Could be because of patents, could be something else, I don't know. What I do know, is that Google mentioned Android having visual voicemail back with the launch of either ICS orJB, and there was/is a section about it somewhere on the official Android site.

And I forgot Voice wasn't available outside the US. Google needs to rectify that.

Wreav

Banned
I'm glad that the Verge was able to settle the camera discussion once and for all.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/13/7537011/iphone-6-camera-editorial

I like how Vlad Nobody is encouraging the OEMs to focus on the camera in the 2015 dev cycle, a cycle they are already 75% of the way through.

But he's not wrong. Android will probably never reach the image processing heights of Apple unless all OEMs settle on a single lens and sensor, which won't ever happen.

edit: the comments are worse than this thread, it's delicious.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I use Google Voice for VMs. But I also don't really get VMs. I don't work at a dying company that relies on such outdated practices.

someone copy/paste, i don't want to give them the click and ad view.

Here's the the most hilarious part, imo.

Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook... the apps you use most all need a good camera

and here's a part of the rambling.

The effortlessness of taking good pictures with the iPhone is probably that phone’s most underrated quality. And yet, its importance grows with every passing day. Consider how vital the camera in any modern smartphone is. Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook, WhatsApp, and Twitter are the most popular communication platforms, and they’re all either image-centric or moving toward a greater reliance on visuals. To get the most out of Pinterest, Tumblr, Foursquare check-ins, or Yelp restaurant reviews, you’ll want to be able to take quick and easy mobile pictures. The standard that must be reached isn’t so much about image quality as it is about quickness, predictability, and reliability — and nobody does those things better than Apple.
htc

In all the years of Android’s existence, in spite of huge investments of time and money, there’s never been a standout Android cameraphone. Some have cameras that are better in low light than the iPhone’s, many have higher resolution, and a number claim to be faster at focusing — but none pull it all together into the same comprehensive package that the iPhone can offer. Samsung and LG give you a pared-down "just shoot" experience, but they lack software polish and speed; Motorola’s camera launches and shoots quickly, but the quality is mediocre; and Sony manages to combine an excellent image sensor with terrible autofocus. Microsoft’s PureView cameras fare better, but the Windows Phone camera app is comparatively slow and unintuitive, and there’s a reason why former Lumia chief Ari Partinen is now tagging his photos with #iPhone6Plus instead of #Lumia1520.

He's not completely wrong, of course. The time it takes on an iPhone to take a relatively good picture is absolutely impressive. It's really fast. But you really don't need a good camera for things like Instagram(!), Facebook or Snapchat. I'm all for better cameras in smartphones that aren't the iPhone (like I said in the WP thread, I'm impressed that LG and Google managed to slim a potato down to a camera sensor size for the N5), but at least make a good argument for it.

It's shit like this that needs to stop.

wfzd6Hr.jpg

Microsoft’s PureView cameras fare better, but the Windows Phone camera app is comparatively slow and unintuitive, and there’s a reason why former Lumia chief Ari Partinen is now tagging his photos with #iPhone6Plus instead of #Lumia1520.
okay. hold the fuck up.

someone please remind me... what company currently employs this dude?

and why do some people take that site seriously?

at least Ari is on the payroll...

I'm not gonna lie, after going from S3 to Nexus 4 to Nexus 5, I was happy to finally have a good camera after switching to an iPhone 5S. Most of my Android pictures are unusable and I still remember the photos from my Nexus 4... Pure trash.

Wreav

Banned
But you really don't need a good camera for things like Instagram(!), Facebook or Snapchat.

Until Instagram uploads higher res photos, I would agree, but I hate sitting down at a 1440p monitor and browsing Facebook only to see the potatocam pictures people are uploading from their 2 year old phones.

Also, Snapchat, king of sexting, needs the best camera it can get. I wanna see those pores, girl.

okay. hold the fuck up.

Yeah, that's the other funny part. I can't imagine that Apple would let an employee of his status openly tweet from a different phone.

Until Instagram uploads higher res photos, I would agree, but I hate sitting down at a 1440p monitor and browsing Facebook only to see the potatocam pictures people are uploading from their 2 year old phones.

Also, Snapchat, king of sexting, needs the best camera it can get. I wanna see those pores, girl.

You're right about Facebook, although I'd argue that it doesn't matter for most users, as they're browsing their stream from their phone or tablet. At least I remember that most users are accessing FB from those devices.

Blackhead

Redarse
What I'm saying is Android natively supports visual voicemail. The APIs and code or whatever is there, but for whatever reason, Google doesn't show or allow those settings in the dialer app. Could be because of patents, could be something else, I don't know. What I do know, is that Google mentioned Android having visual voicemail back with the launch of either ICS orJB, and there was/is a section about it somewhere on the official Android site.

And I forgot Voice wasn't available outside the US. Google needs to rectify that.
What are you going to do when GV is discontinued for Hangouts lol

I use Google Voice for VMs. But I also don't really get VMs. I don't work at a dying company that relies on such outdated practices.

I take transit so often have no service. My VMs are mostly from my friends and (large) extended family. The holidays pushed me over the edge.

VMs are the first reason and the second reason for my switch is the lack of a centralized notifications/location services/privacy management on Android.

The grass isn't much greener on the other side though:
iOS8 is buggy and a jailbreak just makes it more unstable.
iOS thirdparty keyboards are worse than their Android counterparts (the only good thing is that there is still lots of experimentation going on here while most android developers have given up — when was the last time you installed a thirdparty android keyboard that wasn't swype or swiftkey?)
iOS notifications are still much less rich and informative than Android's (although more reliable)
iOS sound/silent/vibrate notifications+media combined volume is kinda silly (but Google fucked up their advantage with the lollipop changes)

iOS thirdparty keyboards are worse than their Android counterparts (the only good thing is that there is still lots of experimentation going on here while most android developers have given up — when was the last time you installed a thirdparty android keyboard that wasn't swype or swiftkey?)

Minuum? Fleksy?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Both have been around for quite some time now; they are old keyboards not new experiments

(do you use either of them as your main keyboard?)
Fleksy, yes. It's great.

Husker86

okay. hold the fuck up.

Dieter, Chris, Nilay all make perfectly fine points in most of their discussions. I don't like many of the other editors on The Verge, but Dieter/Chris/Vlad diss Android a lot less than most people in this thread; though Vlad annoys me sometimes. I stick to the podcast rather than the articles, though.

I miss the Mobile Show...

That editorial wasn't wrong, either. The camera is probably the least consistent spec for Android devices. Samsung is usually pretty good as far as quality goes, but their UI for the camera is not very user-friendly...but that's kinda how things go when you want to give your apps a lot of options/settings, so it's both good and bad.

grmlin

I can't live without my trained Swiftkey anymore! This thing is so good, I'm smashing buttons and get perfect sentences in return. Well, most of the time, of course ;)

Today I decided it's worth the risk and gave Lollipop a try with my "old" S4. Never touched the phone with root or custom roms before, and the process of getting it on the S4 was much easier than that what I remember, flashing phones 2-3 years ago.

Lollipop is beautiful and runs great on the S4. Anyone who's interested: this is the rom I installed: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2557353

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom