• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
iOS8 is buggy and a jailbreak just makes it more unstable.

At least on my 6, the words "buggy" have never entered my mind for how to describe iOS 8. I have had the least amount of weird, niggling issues on this phone ever.

iOS thirdparty keyboards are worse than their Android counterparts

Yep, Apple dropped the ball on their keyboard API, it's pretty bad.

iOS notifications are still much less rich and informative than Android's (although more reliable)

I laughed really hard. I can glance down and read an entire 140 character tweet someone has mentioned me in without ever touching my phone. Good luck doing that on Android, even with Lollipop. I was shocked to see just how truncated lock screen notifications are in 5.0.

I will cede that Android beats the pants off iOS in terms of actionability of notifications, but in terms of "informative"...no.

My nexus 5 is driving me fucking bonkers. The home screen constantly has to refresh when I go back to it and chrome seems to cause my podcasts to stop playing for some reason.

Anyone else experiencing this stuff? Any fixes at all?

Blackhead

Redarse
I laughed really hard. I can glance down and read an entire 140 character tweet someone has mentioned me in without ever touching my phone. Good luck doing that on Android, even with Lollipop. I was shocked to see just how truncated lock screen notifications are in 5.0.

I will cede that Android beats the pants off iOS in terms of actionability of notifications, but in terms of "informative"...no.

lol wut? iOS truncates lengthy notifications, you're likely never getting full 140 characters. Android allows twitter to include the profile pic in notifications, a much better presentation. You can configure different notification sounds/alerts for separate twitter accounts via the Android app but with the iOS app it's all combined together. If you want to glance at a tweet notification without touching anything then an AndroidWear Watch is better than looking around for your phone lol.

Twitter notifications is one main reason that kept me on Android for so long and will probably be the reason I switch back...

Wreav

Banned
*shrug* if you don't like the Android lockscreen you can always change it to an iOS experience...

I do enjoy that patented Android jank when using a replacement lock screen where you see your stock lockscreen for a split second before the replacement rushes in to cover up the mess.

Blackhead

Redarse
At least on my 6, the words "buggy" have never entered my mind for how to describe iOS 8. I have had the least amount of weird, niggling issues on this phone ever.

I do enjoy that patented Android jank when using a replacement lock screen where you see your stock lockscreen for a split second before the replacement rushes in to cover up the mess.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lol wut? iOS truncates lengthy notifications, you're likely never getting full 140 characters. Android allows twitter to include the profile pic in notifications, a much better presentation. You can configure different notification sounds/alerts for separate twitter accounts via the Android app but with the iOS app it's all combined together. If you want to glance at a tweet notification without touching anything then an AndroidWear Watch is better than looking around for your phone lol.

Twitter notifications is one main reason that kept me on Android for so long and will probably be the reason I switch back...

I just tested this for the hell of it. Sent myself a tweet with exactly 140 characters and the notification from Tweetbot displayed all 140 characters plus some other info in the notification.

Saiyan-Rox

Was deciding if I should get Google Glass today (Could get it and frames for £550) or a nexus 6. Ended up getting the nexus 6 got it home and then realized my sim isn't nano...

ugh now to wait daaaays for a replacement sim woo!

Wreav

Banned
Was deciding if I should get Google Glass today (Could get it and frames for £550) or a nexus 6. Ended up getting the nexus 6 got it home and then realized my sim isn't nano...

ugh now to wait daaaays for a replacement sim woo!

Just cut it down.

I have this stupid phone call bug on my M7 where I can't hear the person on the other end and they can't hear me when I make a call.

I've learned that google play services being disabled cures this, but obviously creates other issues.

Anyone know if there's a fix for this? I'm rooted on a Maximus HD sense rom.

Husker86

I have this stupid phone call bug on my M7 where I can't hear the person on the other end and they can't hear me when I make a call.

I've learned that google play services being disabled cures this, but obviously creates other issues.

Anyone know if there's a fix for this? I'm rooted on a Maximus HD sense rom.

Does it happen on OEM software?

I had to get out of the ROM game a couple years ago due to all these little things (not that this issue is little) that you might not notice for a while.

Is there not an OT thread for the Note 4? That's super weird.

Anyway I need a case recommendation , it has to be thin as possible and not Scratch the Phone like the Ringke Slim .

Also | want to get the stocks google keyboard but the Plc In play storelooks different than What I had with Kit Kat . Is it lollipops newone or ?

JonnyBrad

My nexus 5 is driving me fucking bonkers. The home screen constantly has to refresh when I go back to it and chrome seems to cause my podcasts to stop playing for some reason.

Anyone else experiencing this stuff? Any fixes at all?

Yes its a sysgem memory leak. Basically everytime you lock the phone the fade animation isn't unloaded from memory. So eventually you run out of memory. Quick solution. Restart your phone every morning and your unlikely to hit the memory limit.

They have marked it as fixed in the bug tracker. So I'll probably be fixed in next OTA.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79729

Husker86

that, the Note 10.1 2014, the Nexus 9 if it's big enough, or the Tab Pro 10.1 if you want to save and don't mind less RAM.
The Nexus 9? You saying that makes me do a double take on my hesitant stance.

I want one, I need to replace my 2013 N7 with something bigger and a keyboard case. I replaced my Macbook Air with a 15" Pro so I need something more portable.

The problem is, I have read and watched so many reviews for the Nexus 9 and can't find one that recommends it outright. It has me really hesitant to buy.

I have a substantial amount of Amazon credit to burn and I can't decide what to buy...

ukas

I want one, I need to replace my 2013 N7 with something bigger and a keyboard case. I replaced my Macbook Air with a 15" Pro so I need something more portable.

The problem is, I have read and watched so many reviews for the Nexus 9 and can't find one that recommends it outright. It has me really hesitant to buy.

I have a substantial amount of Amazon credit to burn and I can't decide what to buy...

I love mine.

I own the nexus 9. It has performance hiccups here and there but the more I use it I really think that lollipop is the bigger culprit here and not the tablet. I have owned touch wiz tablets before and not only is the performance usually terrible, you will be lucky to see more than one update... If at all..... When lollipop gets a major maintenance release my tablet will be the first in line to get it.

Nexus is where its at.

I own the nexus 9. It has performance hiccups here and there but the more I am learning I really think that lollipop is the bigger culprit here and not the tablet. I have owned touch wiz tablets before and not only is the performance usually terrible, you will be lucky to see more than one update... If at all. When lollipop gets a major maintenance release my tablet will be the first in line to get it.

Nexus is where its at.
The hiccups are definitely lollipop/encryption/other software issue related. Despite all of it I'm also glad I went nexus. Can't go wrong with stock, yo. Plus you gain the satisfaction of fighting the good fight against skins :p

Yes its a sysgem memory leak. Basically everytime you lock the phone the fade animation isn't unloaded from memory. So eventually you run out of memory. Quick solution. Restart your phone every morning and your unlikely to hit the memory limit.

They have marked it as fixed in the bug tracker. So I'll probably be fixed in next OTA.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79729

Thank you very much.

Restarting all the time is a pain in the ass though, so hopefully they fix it soon.

Blackhead

Redarse
I just tested this for the hell of it. Sent myself a tweet with exactly 140 characters and the notification from Tweetbot displayed all 140 characters plus some other info in the notification.

Thanks, I crosschecked and the notification length has indeed been increased in iOS 8 ��

May you never doubt my prowess again.

Just tested on a 5S and not all 140 characters were displayed (notification from Twitter app)

Helped two people that were switching platforms today. My mom from iOS to Android, and a friend from Android to iOS. I have to call BS on anyone saying Android is harder to switch to. My friend was just as lost as my mom. I think it just boils down to getting to grips with things you're not used to yet. Despite what some say, there are still some pretty big differences between both platforms in terms of UI and UX.

Toki767

Helped two people that were switching platforms today. My mom from iOS to Android, and a friend from Android to iOS. I have to call BS on anyone saying Android is harder to switch to. My friend was just as lost as my mom. I think it just boils down to getting to grips with things you're not used to yet. Despite what some say, there are still some pretty big differences between both platforms in terms of UI and UX.

My 70 year old mom figured out how to use Android. I gave her an iPhone and even though she knows how to answer/make phone calls, reply to texts, and take pictures, she doesn't know how to do anything else with it. She gets lost at random screens because there's no universal back button like on Android.

My 70 year old mom figured out how to use Android. I gave her an iPhone and even though she knows how to answer/make phone calls, reply to texts, and take pictures, she doesn't know how to do anything else with it. She gets lost at random screens because there's no universal back button like on Android.
The back button is one of the things my mom already really likes about Android.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

Pretty much. I probably have a total of 30 minutes experience with Macs, and every time I try to use one I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, and Mac OSes are supposed to be simpler than Windows. It's just a matter of learning how to use a new OS after being acquainted with a different one.

Drifters

Honestly with the problems stock Android is having with battery drain, (I'm having issues post fresh install) I'm happy to let HTC finesse the kernel update and software. I never thought I would say that but.... Yeah.

Groof

One thing to keep in mind is that old devices usually don't get the full visual overhaul when they're updated. Only bits and pieces. The full overhaul usually comes with the new flagships.
There are exceptions to the rule, but Sammy usually don't gaf about their old devices in that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom