• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I assumed it was because Exynos wasn't made with CDMA remotely in mind.

VOLTE should solve that Verizon problem, and they are the only CDMA carrier to have to deal with honestly that really matters. Everyone else in the West be on that GSM.

Hasney

Any reason if Qualcomm is fucked that Samsung wouldn't/shouldn't use their own chipset world wide this time?

Why wait if you have your own chipset that works? I've always wondered why they went with the Snap anyways.

According to this: http://www.androidpit.com/difference-between-exynos-and-snapdragon-processors

Qualcomm apparently have the license on 3G on various markets, Exynos can't do 4k video and doesn't have LTE built in, so needs to be a seperate chip.

Vanillalite

According to this: http://www.androidpit.com/difference-between-exynos-and-snapdragon-processors

Qualcomm apparently have the license on 3G on various markets, Exynos can't do 4k video and doesn't have LTE built in, so needs to be a seperate chip.

That's the old chipset though.

The new chip supposedly finally has LTE built in. Despite the shitty number being similar the 5433 is a whole new chip design compared to the 5430. Whey the fuck they couldn't create a bigger name differentiator IDK.

Other than Verizon being shitty CDMA (whic is semi rectified with VOLTE) I see no reason this couldn't work in the west.

Vanillalite

Also if anyone wants to join the Android GAF hangout shoot me a PM.

Beware tho Android news is slow so we be OT as fuck. LoL

wilflare

I wonder if we'll ever get a Google Cast compatible Steam steaming (or nVidia GameStream) app - so that PC games can be played on the big screen

#dreams2015

EDIT:
why is it that I have no Chromecast plugged to my Smart TV
but my Android YouTube and Netflix can still cast to the TV (as if it were a Chromecast)

Toki767

I wonder if we'll ever get a Google Cast compatible Steam steaming (or nVidia GameStream) app - so that PC games can be played on the big screen

#dreams2015

EDIT:
why is it that I have no Chromecast plugged to my Smart TV
but my Android YouTube and Netflix can still cast to the TV (as if it were a Chromecast)

Samsung TVs have had casting functionality built in since last year.

Quick

Banned
Is this the thread to ask about unlocking Android phones? I'm looking to unlock an Xperia Z2. How do I go about this? All the results I've gotten (quick searched, to be honest) involve paying for a code.

#dreams2015

If Valve cared just a little bit, then they'd make it happen with the Steam app. The Android version is so damn terrible, it's shocking. The last time it was updated was in 2012, I think. It looks awful, it can be unreasonably slow, Steam features beyond "BUY BUY BUY" are non-existent. You can't even manage your damn Wishlist or inventory. None of the new Store features are available either. I don't think it knows what cards are, either. Does it even have a tablet layout on Android?

At least the iOS version doesn't look as bad.

TL;DR: Valve sucks, where's HL3?

Chipotle

Is it ok to ask for phone recommendations here?

I'm looking to buy a phone outright and don't want to spend more than £250 for one. Amazon have the 2014 5 inch Moto G for £144 and that looks a good option so might just go with that but wondering if I can get a lot more for my budget. My last phone was a HTC One S from a couple of years ago so I'm sure whatever I get will be a big jump from that - battery life is probably more important than flashy features for me, though I wouldn't mind the flashy features either.

Toki767

How's the software that LG put on? One of the attractions of the Moto G was it just running plain Android.

It's not Samsung levels of horrible. It's basically acceptable. The rumor is that LG are going to put out the G3 skin of Lollipop on the G2 whenever they get that update.

If you want a phone with great battery life and some flashy features (knock on/off is the most useful addition I've ever seen on a phone), the G2 is the phone to get.

NotBacon

How's the software that LG put on? One of the attractions of the Moto G was it just running plain Android.

The G2 will have some pretty good hardware, whereas the Moto G will have slightly underpowered hardware (not bad by any means).

The Moto G will have pure Lollipop (I think they might have paused the rollout though), whereas the G2 will be LG-fied.

Take your pick :p

Quasar

They're getting there, but the fact they're using x86 is still an issue with the app store. If they can keep making strides in making binary translation faster and/or getting more devs to support it (which the Nexus Player will help with), then it will be much more viable and be huge competition for Qualcom in a few years.

Obviously if they fuck up more like the 810 so far, then it'll be easier for them.

I've wondered about that. I mean I've toyed around with android studio, but not tries to compile anything for Android x86. Just what are the issues there given its basically Java.

bms2993

Banned
I've been really impressed with the battery life on my Galaxy S5. Seriously. Wow. And just to clarify, this is just light usage. Google Maps navigation, browsing GAF, tweeting... yeah basic things like that.

10447106_1585164398380670_1166752089358797704_n.jpg

Wreav

Banned
I've been really impressed with the battery life on my Galaxy S5. Seriously. Wow. And just to clarify, this is just light usage. Google Maps navigation, browsing GAF, tweeting... yeah basic things like that.

10447106_1585164398380670_1166752089358797704_n.jpg

Battery stats without SoT are useless.

bms2993

Banned
Led me to think... what if someone made an android phone using a display entirely out of e-ink? Yes, it would lead to a horrible user experience... but the battery would be great.

Edit: Looked it up and wow, now I want me a Nexus 6. Ha ha. Just wish my regional carrier supported it. C Spire only offers a few select flagship android phones... and Nexus just isn't one of them. Sigh... I can dream...

Battery stats without SoT are useless.

Err... about two hours. Guess it isn't remarkable, but better than what I was getting before.

Some ex-google developers started Jide and basically ripped of the Surface haha. It runs a forked versyon Android.

http://www.jide.com/en/desktop/ultra_tablet.html

This makes me hate internet "journalism". Like it matters that they worked for Google at some point in their life. It's like all these video game kickstarter projects that get announced with "various veterans from your favorite studio!". Most of them were just a cog in the wheel and didn't matter as much as we're supposed to believe. But "Former Google employees rip off Surface" makes for a better headline. Sure. Whatever.

I've been using Aviate and a couple other of these "smart" launchers for a couple weeks now, and I gotta say, they really suck. It's much quicker actually getting things done just using a traditional launcher like Nova, Apex, etc. I don't know why companies continue wasting there time and money developing these things, especially when they usually just end up adding user requested features that make them more like traditional launchers anyway.

Also, speaking of Aviate, I saw this terrible ad while on The Verge.

bms2993

Banned
I've been using Aviate and a couple other of these "smart" launchers for a couple weeks now, and I gotta say, they really suck. It's much quicker actually getting things done just using a traditional launcher like Nova, Apex, etc. I don't know why companies continue wasting there time and money developing these things, especially when they usually just end up adding user requested features that make them more like traditional launchers anyway.

Also, speaking of Aviate, I saw this terrible ad while on The Verge.

Slowly roasting the gingerbread in a boiling cup of joe. How horrific. Also, I find TouchWiz to be OKAY when I put a custom launcher like NOVA on there with a theme pack. Also heavily debloated the phone a ton. :p

daoster

My Nexus 6 comes in today.

Goodbye G2

Hellllllo N6. Was on the fence, mainly because initial impressions on sites weren't THAT great, till I played around with my friend's version, and asked him more about it.

Come to papa.

Slowly roasting the gingerbread in a boiling cup of joe. How horrific. Also, I find TouchWiz to be OKAY when I put a custom launcher like NOVA on there with a theme pack. Also heavily debloated the phone a ton. :p
Seriously, poor thing. I bet if you picked him up out of the cup, half his body would be dissolved and gone. The smile is only there because he knows he's moving on to a better place.

----

Hopefully the optimizing and footprint shrinking of TouchWiz that Samsung has done with its lollipop update will translate to older devices like my GS4.

gcubed

I expected Qualcomm to struggle. Sammy was terrible when they switched to big little as well. It took them a while to figure it out

NotBacon

Hello friend, I'm NotBacon. Do you have a minute to talk about our lord and savior the Nexus 6?

Should just get the Moto X pro, it'll be better in every single way.

EVERY. SINGLE. WAY.

My Nexus 6 comes in today.

Goodbye G2

Hellllllo N6. Was on the fence, mainly because initial impressions on sites weren't THAT great, till I played around with my friend's version, and asked him more about it.

Come to papa.

The escalator to euphoria is right this way

Hey GAF, I'm in the market for a Tablet that I will be using primarily for Gaming/Movies and of course browsing/reading.(Some Emulation as well, however not that important if a tablet cant do that)

I was looking into the Nvidia Shield Tablet,unfortunately it can not be purchased in Australia, however I can import it from Amazon UK for £212GBP delivered($411AUD).

Does the Shield support MKV? or will I have to resort to a converter? Also I can use the full extensive Android store on the Shield Tablet besides the Nvidia one, correct?

Is there a better Tablet I can get that can meet my goals for around $450AUD,£220GBP or $350USD?

Thanks.(Honestly I want to enjoy the full Android store pretty much, until Samsung releases their new Phone like Galaxy S6)

wilflare

I'm in the market for a tablet too but sigh the nVidia Shield Tablet isn't available in Singapore.

wondering what my next phone should be (Note3 contract ends later this year). was thinking between the Note4 and Nexus 6 lol

Hi all. I got my GF an HTC One for her bday, she had an iPhone 4 previously. HTC's sync manager managed to get most of the content from het iPhone to the One, but I'm missing notes. I don't understand the Online tutorials, can anyone help me getting notes from iOS onto Android?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hi all. I got my GF an HTC One for her bday, she had an iPhone 4 previously. HTC's sync manager managed to get most of the content from het iPhone to the One, but I'm missing notes. I don't understand the Online tutorials, can anyone help me getting notes from iOS onto Android?
Copy and paste them from I cloud onto Google keep website

Hey GAF, I'm in the market for a Tablet that I will be using primarily for Gaming/Movies and of course browsing/reading.(Some Emulation as well, however not that important if a tablet cant do that)

I was looking into the Nvidia Shield Tablet,unfortunately it can not be purchased in Australia, however I can import it from Amazon UK for £212GBP delivered($411AUD).

Does the Shield support MKV? or will I have to resort to a converter? Also I can use the full extensive Android store on the Shield Tablet besides the Nvidia one, correct?

Is there a better Tablet I can get that can meet my goals for around $450AUD,£220GBP or $350USD?

Thanks.(Honestly I want to enjoy the full Android store pretty much, until Samsung releases their new Phone like Galaxy S6)

yes, you can use the Google Play Store and just download a video player that supports MKV if the Shield doesn't. there's also the Nexus 9, Tab Pro 8.4, Tab S 8.4 and Nexus 7 (2013) to consider.

Husker86

is it very limited though?
it doesn't seem to work with Google Play Music, Play Movies on my Android

on my PC - it doesn't even work with Netflix - what's up

It only works for apps that the TV itself has (and even then, probably not every app). It's not that same thing as Google Cast, where any app can send the resources it needs, just similar.

Is this the thread to ask about unlocking Android phones? I'm looking to unlock an Xperia Z2. How do I go about this? All the results I've gotten (quick searched, to be honest) involve paying for a code.

Yep, you have to pay. It used to be cheap, like $2 off eBay, but now that carriers are in the business, its going to cost you about $10-$30. Oh, if you get an Xperia phone next time, you should get it from the Sony store. They always sell it unlocked.

Every time I think about getting a Note 4 and I go to the store to play with it, I immediately change my mind. It's fucking ridiculous how bloated the notification panel is. Half the screen is filled with garbage... You have a gigantic screen and the toggles take up more than 50% of the screen? Who the fuck uses this S Finder and Quick Connect shit? I can see like maybe FOUR actual notifications in the notification panel, SMH.

I'm exaggerating with the 50% of the screen stuff but you get my drift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom