• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I think about getting a Note 4 and I go to the store to play with it, I immediately change my mind. It's fucking ridiculous how bloated the notification panel is. Half the screen is filled with garbage... You have a gigantic screen and the toggles take up more than 50% of the screen? Who the fuck uses this S Finder and Quick Connect shit? I can see like maybe FOUR actual notifications in the notification panel, SMH.

Um you can actually customize the order and what icon you see in the notification that you see....

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
You can't remove S Finder, Quick Connect, nor the brightness slider.

I mean it sounds like you want a big phone without the Touchwiz which is basically the N6 or the G3 for a biggerish screen that's a middle ground between Wiz and Stock. Unless it's really only about the stylus.

I mean it sounds like you want a big phone without the Touchwiz which is basically the N6 or the G3 for a biggerish screen that's a middle ground between Wiz and Stock. Unless it's really only about the stylus.

I love Nexus phones but for a phablet I want the multi window and one handed functionality that Samsung builds in. Unfortunately, I really want nothing to do with any of their horrible services and UI design and that's what kills it for me.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I love Nexus phones but for a phablet I want the multi window and one handed functionality that Samsung builds in. Unfortunately, I really want nothing to do with any of their horrible services and UI design and that's what kills it for me.

Root it and change the dpi. Makes the ui much more manageable and the big screen useful.

Vanillalite

My LG G3 has both of those built in.

I have multiwindow and one handed mode. Not that I use either, and I think multiwindow is overrated on phones aka only really usable on tablets.

Noema

I've quite enjoyed the GPE 5.0.1 ROM on my Moto G. The lack of hooks to the camera's HDR or panorama features is quite bothersome though. The camera on this phone is pretty bad and HDR is pretty much a necessity otherwise photos look either overbaked or underexposed.

I might flash the official Moto ROM when it becomes available. Or CM12 as soon as the M builds start rolling out. I need my HDR.

Hey Android Gaf. Been considering selling my GS3 in place of a Moto G Gen 2 recently, because I'm pretty tired of how sluggish and unresponsive it has become, despite resetting to factory state. I have nine months left on my phone contract with O2, so this would be a sideways replacement which would cost £20 at most.

However I have considered learning how to root my phone and try out a new ROM. The key thing is how long would it take to get to speed with the process, and is there a extremely stable ROM out there to fit the bill. I looked at Cyanogenmod, but reponses seemed mixed?

What would be the process of putting touchwiz back on and restoring to its factory condition when I come to sell it at the end of my contract?

I manually copy pasted it from iCloud to Evernote :) Kinda sucks there is no native way to transfer.

IMO keep is more user friendly and better for easy note taking on the go. The widgets are fantastic. There is also a 3rd party version of keep on ios.

I like evernote more for business use though.

I just got an S5 a few weeks ago, and there's one thing that's really bothering me. If I'm in the play store, how can I get back to the play store homescreen fast? I keep just hitting back which is a dumb solution. Is there a home button I'm missing?

catmincer

I just got an S5 a few weeks ago, and there's one thing that's really bothering me. If I'm in the play store, how can I get back to the play store homescreen fast? I keep just hitting back which is a dumb solution. Is there a home button I'm missing?
Swipe right from the left of the screen then hit home.

Volotaire

Untitled.jpg
So cute!

PensOwl

Banned
You can't remove S Finder, Quick Connect, nor the brightness slider.

My girlfriends Note 4 doesn't have S Finder or Quick Connect in the panel. I don't know if she changed it to be that way or not. Hers is the AT&T version. Also I have an S5, and there's a checkbox in the notification settings for brightness adjustment, so I assume you can turn that off too.

Vanillalite

So new material designed Falcon Pro is out except it's a new app again so you have to rebuy Falcon Pro all over again.

Then to top it all off the release is half baked. Missing a ton of features like DMs and reply all.

Why the fuck does this shit always happen with 3rd party twitter clients?!?!?!!!

vdlow

So new material designed Falcon Pro is out except it's a new app again so you have to rebuy Falcon Pro all over again.

Then to top it all off the release is half baked. Missing a ton of features like DMs and reply all.

Why the fuck does this shit always happen with 3rd party twitter clients?!?!?!!!
Well, the old version had reached the 100k tokens limit, so to enter the Play Store again he needed to release it as a new app. But damn, DMs and reply all are basic features, it's ridiculous that it's not included, even in a first release. Hard to see Falcon competing with Fenix and Talon this way.

Vanillalite

Fuck it's not even for the app.

You have to fucking pay per account. So it's $4 then $2 extra for each additional. Basically paying for tokens.

It's the same bullshit Talon pulled when they tried to resell me their shit I already bought. At some point I'm just gonna go back to the official app.

Vanillalite

I'm so glad I don't have a Twitter account.

It wouldn't be so bad if they actively worked on the old app, and then had a smoother transition to the new one even if you had to pay every so often.

They tend to bail hard on the old versions tho, go dark for a year with no updates, and then come out and be like surprise here is the new version with the new design language that isn't really done yet but I need you to rebuy anyways.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't have an issue with paid upgrades and I don't think you do, either. What stinks about this one is that this dev abandons apps. The old Falcon Pro runs like crap today. "Updates" are more like the dev building the app on the fly and not a real update. The new Falcon doesn't have basic features.

He also abandoned Flyne. Fuck this guy.

wilflare

Fuck it's not even for the app.

You have to fucking pay per account. So it's $4 then $2 extra for each additional. Basically paying for tokens.

It's the same bullshit Talon pulled when they tried to resell me their shit I already bought. At some point I'm just gonna go back to the official app.

I'm already back to the Official Client
just really annoyed with the ads... and the lack of Dark/Black themes

PriitV

I on the other hand am really enjoying the new Falcon app. Having replaced rss feeds with twitter, this app is exactly what I was in the market for.

Vanillalite

I on the other hand am really enjoying the new Falcon app. Having replaced rss feeds with twitter, this app is exactly what I was in the market for.

What's your Twitter handle? We need to follow each other so I can DM you something important.... oh wait....

Even beyond the fact that I hate paying again for this shit after he bailed on the last app this version is half baked. Buying shit like this just encourages more devs to follow suit and release paid apps in beta then fix as they go.

Mindwipe

I'm honestly okay with a new version of something costing money at that sort of level. Devs got to eat.

But it shouldn't have shipped this half finished. And like everyone else, I'm slightly worried he'll just abandon this like Flyne (and I paid for Flyne, which never got beyond half baked mess).

I'm in two minds about it, given what a trainwreck Talon Plus is, and the dev's apparent disinterest in any fixes on Twitter.

The stock Twitter app is perfectly serviceable.

It's really not.

Vanillalite

I'm honestly okay with a new version of something costing money at that sort of level. Devs got to eat.

But it shouldn't have shipped this half finished. And like everyone else, I'm slightly worried he'll just abandon this like Flyne (and I paid for Flyne, which never got beyond half baked mess).

I'm in two minds about it, given what a trainwreck Talon Plus is, and the dev's apparent disinterest in any fixes on Twitter.

It's really not.

I think it's the fact that I got burned on Talon and now I'm burned on this that I'm just so fucking salty over it all.

Like AJ said above. If they were constantly working on the old app and keeping it up to snuff then doing a better transition to a new app that feel finished I'd be less angry about it all.

Also the official app at least lets you do everything Twitter lets you do. Can't say the same for Falcon. The ads are annoying as fuck though.

Mindwipe

Can you tweet? Yes.
Can you get notified when someone tweets you/favs/retweets? Yes.
Can you DM? Yes.
Can you search tweets? Yes.
Can you follow/unfollow people? Yes.
Can you manage multiple accounts? Yes.

Stop being obstinate.

I would say "intermittently" for several of those (edit: And flat out no for search...)

Plus some pretty awful privacy snafus.

Plus not being able to view tweets in chronological order, which is a dealbreaker.

wilflare

I like Talon :/ but it keeps crashing on me these days
back to the official client... hope it gets a more... material design soonish

Vanillalite

The problem is they only want to put the app on the play store while they have tokens available so they can sell it.

As soon as the token's dry up though it relieves all incentive to update it because they can't make money on it.

What hurts though is so many people are releasing apps that are essentially beta phase. So they are using what little time they feel they have to update while they can still reasonably sell the app (aka before they hit the token limit), but that's just to get the app up to what it should have been at launch to begin with.

wilflare

The problem is they only want to put the app on the play store while they have tokens available so they can sell it.

As soon as the token's dry up though it relieves all incentive to update it because they can't make money on it.

What hurts though is so many people are releasing apps that are essentially beta phase. So they are using what little time they feel they have to update while they can still reasonably sell the app (aka before they hit the token limit), but that's just to get the app up to what it should have been at launch to begin with.

I do feel that Twitter is somehow to blame for this Token limit nonsense :/

grmlin

Making Twitter Apps is pure pain. I tried once but gave up instantly when I learned about their limits (both for the one who creates the app and their users)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Talon users, use Fenix. It runs so much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom