• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatalah

I've had just enough waiting for Pandora to meet UI standards set in 2013. How the heck is it so difficult to add proper playback controls? The ads are a mess too. The only reason I still use Pandora over Spotify is because Pandora uses less bandwidth.

linkboy

Just my two cents: don't be so sure about the G2 being basically a Nexus 5, the form factor is similar but the UI is really, really bad.

I'm not really concerned about the UI, I need a phone. The LTE band support is more important than that.

And the G2 and the Nexus 5 are essentially the same phone, as the G2 was the phone the Nexus 5 was based on.

Reckoner

I just embraced the community side of the Nexus 6, even if I hated for a day after the first time I started flashing custom roms and kernels - like "this is going to be a pain in the ass everytime an update comes." Look at me now... it takes no longer than ten minutes to download and update everything, and all the improvements really make it standout. I can't go back. Pure Shamu and Franco.Kernel running here and coudn't be happier with my phone.

I've had just enough waiting for Pandora to meet UI standards set in 2013. How the heck is it so difficult to add proper playback controls? The ads are a mess too. The only reason I still use Pandora over Spotify is because Pandora uses less bandwidth.

The radio feature in Spotify is pretty bad, too.

Wreav

Banned
So having the same RAM and GPU are all that you need to make phones "nearly identical"? Good to know about the Z3 and the G3.

linkboy

So having the same RAM and GPU are all that you need to make phones "nearly identical"? Good to know about the Z3 and the G3.

Are you going to actually help with my question, or just continue to be an ass?

I've had a really, really bad week, came to ask a question only to deal with people like you.

I'm stuck in Korea without a cell phone and my only means of communication is on my tablet via WiFi.

I'm trying to figure out which phone will work best both here and in the states.

Groof

Are you going to actually help with my question, or just continue to be an ass?

I've had a really, really bad week, came to ask a question only to deal with people like you.

I'm stuck in Korea without a cell phone and my only means of communication is on my tablet via WiFi.

I'm trying to figure out which phone will work best both here and in the states.

Mate don't listen to him. He's been shitting up the thread for weeks now.

Anyway, I'm not from America so I can't be 100 on this, but a quick Google search tells me that the AT&T version will probably be best. This is what I found on their forums:
AT&T 4G HSPA and HSPA+ use 850Mhz(Band 5) and 1900Mhz(Band 2) bands but it all depends on area if they own a license. LTE uses Band 17(700Mhz), Band 5(850Mhz), Band 2(1900Mhz), Band 4(1700/2100Mhz) currently.

linkboy

These are the three Korean providers

SK Telcom uses 850/1800mhz
LG U+ uses 850/2100mhz
KT Olleh uses 900/1800mhz

With my nexus 5, I could get hspa+ on LG U+ and KT Olleh.

Honestly, I'm leaning towards just getting another nexus 5, I know what I have with it.

Groof

These are the three Korean providers

SK Telcom uses 850/1800mhz
LG U+ uses 850/1800mhz
KT Olleh uses 900/1800mhz

With my nexus 5, I could get hspa+ on LG U+ and KT Olleh.

Ah damn I read those as 1900. Yeah neither AT&T nor T-Mobile seem to support 850 and 1800. Maybe you'll have to make do with HSPA+?

Groof

LG U+ actually uses 850, 2100 and 2600, not 1800.

HSPA+ is something I can live with

Correction, I meant to say both 850 and 1800 at the same time. Both AT&T and T-Mobile support 850 though. You'd probably be fine but you might experience a bit unstabler connections.

Sch1sm

LG U+ actually uses 850, 2100 and 2600, not 1800.

HSPA+ is something I can live with

Both Tmo and ATT have 2100. Band 4. ATT is the only one with 850, though.

Correction, I meant to say both 850 and 1800 at the same time. Both AT&T and T-Mobile support 850 though. You'd probably be fine but you might experience a bit unstabler connections.

When did they start supporting 850? This is news to me. Then again, I don't pay nearly enough attention to US providers.

* whoop, never mind. I googled. I see.

Hey guys, so my Nexus 5 had something of a shit-attack and i had to send it in for repairs (sent it through o2 repair in UK as LG didnt respond)

Problem is it came back with 4.4.2 on it, so 4.4.4 came through and i updated to that but i'm not getting a prompt for 5.0.2 etc - how long should it take for this to come about?

Sch1sm

Hey guys, so my Nexus 5 had something of a shit-attack and i had to send it in for repairs (sent it through o2 repair in UK as LG didnt respond)

Problem is it came back with 4.4.2 on it, so 4.4.4 came through and i updated to that but i'm not getting a prompt for 5.0.2 etc - how long should it take for this to come about?

Do yourself a favour and just flash it. Some people have only just gotten 5 on Nexus devices. It'll show up when it wants to even though it's available. Ridiculous.

this is google. They haven't figured out updates yet for nexus. You'll get it when you get it lol. My brother is still waiting for lollipop on his nexus tablet. I think some people here mentioned the same.

inB4 flash it

linkboy

Decided just to go with another Nexus 5, as much as I like the G2, I don't want to play the Lollipop waiting game with LG.

Plus, I know what I have with the Nexus 5.

Thanks for all the help.

Google really needs to get a maintenance release out asap for 5.0.

Its getting pretty ridiculous. I've never seen them botch an android release this bad.

The rollout for nexus devices has definitely been abysmal but I'm going to assume they pulled it after all the reported issues? That has to be the reason some are still waiting. Apple wants update...apple pushes update. Everyone gets it.

Google pls. That's partly why we get NEXI. Is that the plural?

reKon

Banned
Is Volta battery life a reality yet? Just checking. Also, why is the performance of my Nexus 7 (2013) worse on Lollipop? (Specifically after using it after it's in deep sleep)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The way I see it, if you care enough to have the latest OS right away, flash it. The roll out takes a bit but we don't know whether it takes awhile is so they can and do catch bugs. Maybe they found something and are now holding it back. Totally possible.

I wish Android had a real cloud backup method. That would be awesome. The way it is, personal data isn't backed up.

Google Glass moves to Nest.

Glass is moving from the Google X research lab to be a stand-alone unit led by Ivy Ross. Ms. Ross and her team will report to Tony Fadell, a former Apple executive who heads Nest Labs, the smart-home device company Google acquired for $3.2 billion in February 2014. Mr. Fadell will still run Nest, but he also will oversee Glass and provide strategic guidance to Ms. Ross.

Google will stop selling the initial version of Glass to individuals through its Explorer program after Jan. 19. Google will still sell Glass to companies and developers for work applications.

Google plans to release a new version of Glass in 2015, but it hasn't been more specific about timing.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-makes-changes-to-its-glass-project-1421343901

Maybe they can make it useful.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The G4 has (kinda) leaked:

LG has struck paydirt with its flagship smartphones. The LG G2 and LG G3 have both been well received and the latter was included in our list of the three best smartphones for last year. But that was 2014. The question is, what will LG be bringing to the table with the LG G4 for 2015? According to a story out of Greece, LG's flagship Android phone will be carrying some big guns.

According to a source, the Snapdragon 810 will be driving the LG G4. As we recently noted, overheating issues with the chip are leading smartphone manufacturers to consider other options. Samsung is reportedly going to stuff up to 90% of its initial production of the Samsung Galaxy S6 with its own Exynos chipset. LG does have its NUCLUN octa-core processor, but it apparently is not up to snuff. As a result, Qualcomm's chip is still expected inside the LG G4.

Besides carrying 3GB of RAM, a dump of Android 5.0 has brought forth evidence of 5312 × 2988 resolution pictures that will be available from the LG G4. That leads to speculation that the device will feature a 16MP wide rear camera, which would be a nice bump from the 13MP rear camera on the LG G3.

We could see the LG G4 unwrapped in March at MWC in Barcelona.

clicky

SimleuqiR

Google Glass moves to Nest.

Glass is moving from the Google X research lab to be a stand-alone unit led by Ivy Ross. Ms. Ross and her team will report to Tony Fadell, a former Apple executive who heads Nest Labs, the smart-home device company Google acquired for $3.2 billion in February 2014. Mr. Fadell will still run Nest, but he also will oversee Glass and provide strategic guidance to Ms. Ross.

Google will stop selling the initial version of Glass to individuals through its Explorer program after Jan. 19. Google will still sell Glass to companies and developers for work applications.

Google plans to release a new version of Glass in 2015, but it hasn't been more specific about timing.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-makes-changes-to-its-glass-project-1421343901

Maybe they can make it useful.

Until they can somehow fit all the electronics in the frames, and the display is actually built into the actual glass, it will not catch on.

I commend them for their continue efforts, but the tech might not be available to make the above happen yet.

manfestival

It's nice, but my Moto X stutters alot. I get alot of lag especially transitioning from one app to another or to the home page. Not the smooth experience I expected.

I mean I expected it from 5.0 on the moto g considering it is just 1 gig of ram but 5.02 really smoothed things out. I am back to enjoying the phone the way I did from when I first opened the box

NotBacon

Spec talk on new flagships has gotten pretty boring. We're now at THREE gb of ram, camera is getting a CRAZY 16mp, etc.

Can't wait for the next revolution. Hopefully new battery tech soon what with all of these crazy university experiments going on recently.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Spec talk on new flagships has gotten pretty boring. We're now at THREE gb of ram, camera is getting a CRAZY 16mp, etc.

Can't wait for the next revolution. Hopefully new battery tech soon what with all of these crazy university experiments going on recently.

Now, I only have a lowly Moto G and 2012 N7. I'm seriously interested in getting an N9 in a few months though. Anyways, I think this new "Fast Charging" stuff that all the major hardware is coming out with is pretty damned impressive! Getting to 60% in like an hour or whatever is pretty great.

Hell, it takes my Nexus 7 like 10-12 hours to go from dead to 100%.

NotBacon

Now, I only have a lowly Moto G and 2012 N7. I'm seriously interested in getting an N9 in a few months though. Anyways, I think this new "Fast Charging" stuff that all the major hardware is coming out with is pretty damned impressive! Getting to 60% in like an hour or whatever is pretty great.

Hell, it takes my Nexus 7 like 10-12 hours to go from dead to 100%.

It's pretty awesome but I've only needed to use it once :p

I think wireless charging was bigger, I rarely even plug my phone in anymore at night because I just let it sit on my charging pad next to me while I write code during the day.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Boy am I glad I went for my N6. The 810 is jacked up!

In 5.0, what's it missing besides SMS?

Data for the apps. I know, there's supposedly an API for devs to upload app data for a restore. But whatever it is, and as for as many apps as I've tried, I haven't seen that even ONCE. I hate going to a new phone or ROMing a phone and having to set all my settings for my apps all over again. Or redo games. This stuff should be automatic.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is there truth in this "90% of the S6 run will use Exynos"?

Not as if they haven't released that Exynos model in EU before. Literally the only major hurdle for them is NA and really even then the only major hurdle would be Verizon specifically because they are stuck on CDMA.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
It's pretty awesome but I've only needed to use it once :p

I think wireless charging was bigger, I rarely even plug my phone in anymore at night because I just let it sit on my charging pad next to me while I write code during the day.
I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet, but I'm definitely going to when I do buy an N9! I don't believe that the moto G supports wireless charging, though there may be some third party back that makes it possible or something. I should look into that. Charging cables are jerks :-[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom