• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I dislike the more expensive One Plus Two, but I'm fine with it provided they keep the old model around as a cheaper option.

Mindwipe

The Xperia Z4 Ultra and Z4 Compact will use the same chipset, but they will have screen sizes that are polar opposites – 6.44" and 4.7".

FFS Sony.

The point of a "compact" is to be small. Stop making the screen size bigger. Ideally make it smaller.

Hasney

The thought of a Sony with a 6.44'' screen is amazing. Once you add their Apple-esque bezels, you've got yourself an N7.

I wouldn't be shocked if it was just 6.44" in total considering that's the same as the original Ultra.

FFS Sony.

The point of a "compact" is to be small. Stop making the screen size bigger. Ideally make it smaller.

Eh, they probably need the extra room for some better thermal management. Basically you'd have to compromise on going lower spec or going bigger and they did the latter.

Just be happy the screen increased instead of just the bezel or stick with the Z3C.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
FFS Sony.

It's literally .1 bigger. That's hardly a massive diff from the last model. It is still under 5" and as already said if you want something super small you'll have to compromise om components and cause of size and tmp.

Hmmm I'm not sure I 100% buy that oneplus 2 rumour only because the 5.5 inch screen size. I remember the CEO not too long ago saying that they played around with multiple screen sizes and have finally selected one and it will "surprise people" or something.

Could have been referring to 2 models but his wording didn't seem like it.

Wreav

Banned
It's literally .1 bigger. That's hardly a massive diff from the last model. It is still under 5" and as already said if you want something super small you'll have to compromise om components and cause of size and tmp.

Plus 4.7'' is the best size for ease of one hand use and readability.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If only my N6 had the 810 and new RAM, I'd be so happy. I don't think I regret it, though. Software is king.

Mindwipe

I dumped iOS after having had an iPhone since the release day of the first model because it had a 4.7 inch screen - it is unusably large and gives me significant cramps when I try and type one handed with it. Every mm smaller than that is important. The screen is already too big on the Z3C, and is bigger than that on the Z1C. By the Z5C we'll be at 5 inches.

Hasney

I dumped iOS after having had an iPhone since the release day of the first model because it had a 4.7 inch screen - it is unusably large and gives me significant cramps when I try and type one handed with it. Every mm smaller than that is important. The screen is already too big on the Z3C, and is bigger than that on the Z1C. By the Z5C we'll be at 5 inches.

Unfortunately for you, unless something happens with CPU/GPU tech (another nm process lower might help, but it doesn't even seem feasible right now), manufacturers are going to go bigger as they can get better specs in that frame. I think you are going to have to make a choice about top of the line and one handed usage at some point I'm afraid.

Who knows, with that margin of error, someone might have even measured wrong and it's the same as the Z3C.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You're out of luck, like the people who didn't want to leave hardware keyboards. Sorry.

jesalr

OK, so HTC and Sony both launching at MWC, suppose it's a straight out arms race for my heart/wallet then.
Sony has the edge in battery and waterproofiness. HTC in design, probably screen. Let's see if either can make JesalR truly happy.

Doubt One Plus Two will be more expensive than $349-$399. They have a loss leader business plan set up for 2 years. This year's model will continue that. One Plus Two is definitely mine as soon as it releases though as long as they don't screw up the specs.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
OK, so HTC and Sony both launching at MWC, suppose it's a straight out arms race for my heart/wallet then.
Sony has the edge in battery and waterproofiness. HTC in design, probably screen. Let's see if either can make JesalR truly happy.

I feel so disappointed in the M8. The lack of software updates stinks, I thought they had vowed to change that, but I've had no updates since I bought the phone and the bugs are starting to add up. The screen sometimes doesn't immediately turn on, the battery drain is baffling, and my once zippy phone is starting to lag like crazy. Plus it looks like they dropped the ball on lollipop by not overhauling the UI even when/I'd I do get that update. So even though there is a lot to love about this phone, I don't think I'd buy the new one.

Sch1sm

You should get a Nexus 6 and none of those other phones. I'd get a Moto X before I got an N5.

But why? Not like it's significantly better in any aspect even with the Moto X 2014. Camera is better, sure. Processor isn't large enough a jump 800 v 801, really? Both are sitting at a sad 2300 mAh battery. So you'd spend like $150 more for a .2 GHz jump and the camera? lol. Or is it the AMOLED screen that you're pining over here?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
But why? Not like it's significantly better in any aspect even with the Moto X 2014. Camera is better, sure. Processor isn't large enough a jump 800 v 801, really? Both are sitting at a sad 2300 mAh battery. So you'd spend like $150 more for a .2 GHz jump and the camera? lol. Or is it the AMOLED screen that you're pining over here?

Ability to Customize and Moto Actions make me think the Moto X is a better choice too. But that's just my own opinion.

jesalr

I feel so disappointed in the M8. The lack of software updates stinks, I thought they had vowed to change that, but I've had no updates since I bought the phone and the bugs are starting to add up. The screen sometimes doesn't immediately turn on, the battery drain is baffling, and my once zippy phone is starting to lag like crazy. Plus it looks like they dropped the ball on lollipop by not overhauling the UI even when/I'd I do get that update. So even though there is a lot to love about this phone, I don't think I'd buy the new one.

Cheers!

It's weird, the last HTC phone I had was the Desire, which I loved, but since then I jsut never managed to go back.

Wreav

Banned
Swiping was pretty stupid though. If Samsung was smart they'd just put the fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone where your index finger could easily reach it rather than making the home button even bigger.

That would be innovating, though, and that's not Sammy's game.

reKon

Banned
That Z4 compact rumor is perfect. It's, allegedly, 4.7 inches at 1080p with 3,000 mah battery. The 64 bit soc and 3 GB of RAM alone should improve battery life. Sony is going all in this year and doing it early which helps them later with sales, in my opinion.

Shit you're right. This is nearly the perfect phone. There was some rumor earlier that I read which was basically saying the improved the waterproofing to the point where the phone doesn't even need flaps? Not really sure how that would work.

I have an Z3 Compact and the phone has been perfect for me so seeing this makes me happy in case I want to try to upgrade for some dumb reason. It's excellent for one handed use, but I wouldn't mind it going to 4.8 - 5.0 and growing a tiny bit in size. Also would love if they ditched the glass back (mine got scratched up before I put a case on it).

Battery life is still amazing. Space is not as issue because my photos, video, and google music is saved on to my SD card. The phone never lags. I'm running on the Nova launcher. Rarely ever get any forced closes. Everything just works. My only complaint is that auto-rotate sometimes is not very responsive. I don't know if there's just an issue with my sensor.

The Z4 and Z4Ultra sound dope. I'd definitely be interested in getting one of them (dat Ultra) since Sony phones have good community support these days.

Just buy a bunch of Z3Cs and 5Ss and just swap a fresh one in when the old one dies.

Hasney

Physical home button is the last thing I'll get on Samsungs back for. I've got a tablet with only software buttons and I'd much prefer a real home button.

Mindwipe

Unfortunately for you, unless something happens with CPU/GPU tech (another nm process lower might help, but it doesn't even seem feasible right now), manufacturers are going to go bigger as they can get better specs in that frame. I think you are going to have to make a choice about top of the line and one handed usage at some point I'm afraid.

Who knows, with that margin of error, someone might have even measured wrong and it's the same as the Z3C.

Top of line isn't an issue. Premium handset that gets software support is.

Hasney

Top of line isn't an issue. Premium handset that gets software support is.

Ah, good point. I think the only thing that comes close to a ZC is the Galaxy Alpha which is also apparently going to get the (of course TouchWizzed) Lollipop, but that does compromise in battery life. Honestly looks like no-ones bothering.

Wreav

Banned
After using TouchID, I don't want a soft home button. I like having a physical button that can save me time for a multitude of tasks.

NotBacon

tumblr_n7dqujgOJv1ta8urjo6_500.gif

#softbutt

Bet that Sony Z4/C Android skin will still look like something from the Gingerbread era.

Not even joking when I say Touchwiz looks more modern.

Doubt One Plus Two will be more expensive than $349-$399. They have a loss leader business plan set up for 2 years. This year's model will continue that. One Plus Two is definitely mine as soon as it releases though as long as they don't screw up the specs.

Meh I believe the price increase. Xiaomi did the same thing. And the CEO of oneplus basically admitted it. He said they have a second model of the phone which won't be all about top specs and might be differently designed. I'm thinking they have one slightly more expensive phone with really high specs like the xiaomi mi note pro. And then a normal one maybe smaller with still top specs but not BEAST like 4gb ram. Maybe just 3 and other normal high specs for the regular same price.

Who really knows though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom