• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

Boy am I glad I went for my N6. The 810 is jacked up!

Data for the apps. I know, there's supposedly an API for devs to upload app data for a restore. But whatever it is, and as for as many apps as I've tried, I haven't seen that even ONCE. I hate going to a new phone or ROMing a phone and having to set all my settings for my apps all over again. Or redo games. This stuff should be automatic.

Whenever I restore a backup from iCloud on my iPhone I have to set up apps from the start all the time.

iTunes local restore is different.

As backwards as it is, I wish Google would have a local backup option in addition to the cloud. That way, storing potentially sensitive information isn't as "risky". I can only assume that's the reason iTunes/iCloud backups are different.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Whenever I restore a backup from iCloud on my iPhone I have to set up apps from the start all the time.

iTunes local restore is different.

As backwards as it is, I wish Google would have a local backup option in addition to the cloud. That way, storing potentially sensitive information isn't as "risky". I can only assume that's the reason iTunes/iCloud backups are different.
Yeah, that's what I mean. Would be awesome.

Also GUYS I found something that fixes Lollipops horrible volume controls https://plus.google.com/+ThomasBarrasso/posts/jKNZv8zGNFQ

The way I see it, if you care enough to have the latest OS right away, flash it. The roll out takes a bit but we don't know whether it takes awhile is so they can and do catch bugs. Maybe they found something and are now holding it back. Totally possible.

I wish Android had a real cloud backup method. That would be awesome. The way it is, personal data isn't backed up.

and people religiously using backup apps wonder why people get a non-stock device and just sign into a 3rd party manufacturer's account in addition to their Google account and automatically get their call log, SMS and MMS backed up and restored. that should be Google's job, but they don't want it.

this_guy

and people religiously using backup apps wonder why people get a non-stock device and just sign into a 3rd party manufacturer's account in addition to their Google account and automatically get their call log, SMS and MMS backed up and restored. that should be Google's job, but they don't want it.

Because that's bloat
then once Google does it it's no longer bloat

Sora_N

So I got a Galaxy S4 the year it came out.

I'm kind of sick of Touch wiz now. I really want to root it and put stock android (google play edition ROM hopefully) on it. Not sure if Lollipop is available for that yet.

I previously acquired a S3 and bricked it while fucking around and trying to root it. It wasnt mine and my friend said I could do whatever with it.

Any easy tips or a site I could check out so I don't mess up my S4? I stipidly upgraded my S4 to 4.4 and I'm not sure if Knox affects it.

Much appreciated. Thanks!

Furyous

The G4 has (kinda) leaked:

clicky

Can someone explain to me what resolution 5312 × 2988 is and why it's important? If the G3 is any indication then this device has to decrease in size due to the weakness of the 810, right???

This is such a strange year to be in the market for a smartphone. S810 isn't ready so there's a chance 2K phones have overheating issues. If the LG G3 Cat 6 didn't overheat then maybe LG goes with the 805 instead of the 810.

All I want is a GPE non-Samsung smartphone from either Sony, LG, or Motorola.

Can someone explain to me what resolution 5312 × 2988 is and why it's important? If the G3 is any indication then this device has to decrease in size due to the weakness of the 810, right???

This is such a strange year to be in the market for a smartphone. S810 isn't ready so there's a chance 2K phones have overheating issues. If the LG G3 Cat 6 didn't overheat then maybe LG goes with the 805 instead of the 810.

All I want is a GPE non-Samsung smartphone from either Sony, LG, or Motorola.

Reading is good.

5312 × 2988 resolution PICTURES that will be available from the LG G4

wilflare

I really want a Google backup solution but oh well
I have never used Samsung's though maybe it's time to try

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
sooooooooooo

my sister just called me all excited because her Nexus 7 (2012) finally got the Lollipop update.

Seems like a real crap shoot. Sometimes mine runs pretty darned well, sometimes it grinds to a halt for a bit. I did a full reset, too. Good luck to her.

This some real Russian roulette shit.

NotBacon

Based based.

I'm perfectly fine with the current backup solution, especially after Lollipop. The only thing I would really want is data backup for games. But a lot of the time the dev incorporates it anyways.

Been playing around with my mom's Moto X and didn't realize how much I missed the look, feel and whatnot of stock Android. Sure, it has its quirks and is not for everyone, but the same can be said about every flavor of Android, for the most part.

My next phone will definitely be a Nexus if the battery is good and if they continue to exist, or a moto flagship, if the battery is good. I just need Google to finish up their version of multi window with the quickness. It's my favorite Samsung feature and something I'd miss greatly. Would also like to see a pen included, but that's minor and I can live without.

Androiders stop not paying for good games:

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This is the same developer that released firgures earlier that were total bullshit. Why am I suddenly gonna take them at face value now?

Guys I have a feeling this is going to be a great year for Android hardware.

I just wanted to say something positive.

also we can quote this for lulz at the end of the year.

NotBacon

Not a bad list.

Also nexus is always first just for being stock. High hopes for this years one plus and or nexus.

Yeah if One Plus ditches CM for their next phone and/or we get a smaller Nexus to appease the masses, it'll be a great year.
Even better if elGoog can nail a simultaneous release on all US carriers with an actual marketing campaign
LOL

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I never bought monument valley after I heard how short and easy the game was. They have released DLC though that does extend the game so it may be better now.

The other DLC Ida’s (RED) Dream is not getting ported to android either.

Hasney

There's a possibility that the Curve benchmarks for the 810 are thrown off a bit by the weird form factor not being good from a hest management point of view, but at this point, there's too much smoke for there not to be a fire. Possibly a literal one in this case.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So did Android go from laggy jank to smoother with Project Butter and now back to laggy jank?

Nope, smooth as hell here. I have started getting the memory bug lately, but that just manifests itself as the home screen being redrawn. Annoying, sure, but no disaster. And once that's happened everything goes right back to smooth town. There's no "jank" at all on my phone.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Z4

While CES has been the traditional scene for new Xperia Z announcements, this year the company seems to be keeping its ace for the Mobile World Congress. Meanwhile, the Xperia Z4 has been certified in its home country in three versions – NTT DoCoMo, KDDI and SoftBank.
All three support LTE, including VoLTE, which is the new generation in voice call technology and is slowly gaining support from carriers. The phones also support Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac.

The new flagship is expected to keep the defining features of the Xperia Z3 – a 5.2" Triluminos display, water resistance and the traditional Xperia design language. The new flagship will most likely be powered by a Snapdragon 810 chipset, which will bring Cat. 9 LTE connectivity, that's 450Mbps.
The Xperia Z4 Ultra and Z4 Compact will use the same chipset, but they will have screen sizes that are polar opposites – 6.44" and 4.7". The Xperia Z4 Compact will have the usual 20.7MP camera, a 5MP selfie camera, and a whopping 3,000mAh battery. The bigger Xperia Z4 Ultra will have a 16MP camera, 3,500mAh or 4,000mAh battery.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
OnePlus Two

Unnamed sources claim the OnePlus Two, as it will likely be named, will retain the same 5.5-inch display size, but with resolution increased to QHD, as probably any respectable flagship this year. The high-end Snapdragon 810 will provide computing power and system memory is reported to be 4GB as the just-unveiled Xiaomi Mi Note Pro, which is shaping to be a chief rival.
Battery capacity is quoted at 3,300mAh, a slight bump over the predecessor's 3,100mAh unit. The phone will run on Android 5.0 with the company's proprietary simplistic overlay.
The OnePlus Two will carry a higher price tag at RMB2,699 yuan ($435) following a trend of emerging Chinese manufacturers to bump prices once the brand is established. A smaller OnePlus device might also be in development, for those who want flagship hardware, but can't bear the heft of a phablet.

both seem likely, imo

Wreav

Banned
The thought of a Sony with a 6.44'' screen is amazing. Once you add their Apple-esque bezels, you've got yourself an N7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom