• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noema

Airdroid was finally updated today to support AirMirror in Lollipop.

anchorman.jpg

No more having to reach out to grab my phone to reply to Whatsapp messages when I'm sitting by an actual computer.

Wreav

Banned
Some incredible trolling going on right now on Droid Life by Durden, their resident jackass. I lost it at the last post.

aRSBHVY.png

vi4AQ88.png

I'm against all physical and capacitive buttons. FOOK that. And sealed battery is good because who is walking around with an extra battery and how often are you running out of battery completely that you need this.

fookisays

The Xperia Z4C would be really tempting, if it comes with a 1080p screen. It's going to be interesting to see if they're going to overhaul the UI at all. And then there's also the rumor from Reuters about Sony selling the Xperia line, which doesn't really inspire confidence. Buying a $500 phone that's going to be EOL'd six or nine months later would suck.

I feel like buying a Sony phone is a death knell. How long until they drop their mobile phone division and you stop getting support for it? The rumours get stronger every month of this happening.

It might be worth for the meltdowns. The amount of Sony love on this forum can be a bit perplexing. I still can't believe people here (not in this thread, but forum) thought the Xperia Play was a good idea and then bought one.

I think sony makes good hardware but I can't take them seriously with their software that looks straight from 2010 and their inability to release and their taking long to update etc...

reKon

Banned
I feel like buying a Sony phone is a death knell. How long until they drop their mobile phone division and you stop getting support for it? The rumours get stronger every month of this happening.

6 months since buying and I'm still safe baby!

Remember when people over a year ago was saying that HTC won't be around in the next year. Well, we got the M8 and the M9 is coming.

Remember when people over a year ago was saying that HTC won't be around in the next year. Well, we got the M8 and the M9 is coming.
HTC had a better quarter recently so that's nice for them but imo sony is worse off than htc was at the time. And I mean getting a future sony phone, you get yours a lil while ago.

To be fair, that was mostly that one Sony investor. Somethingsomethingbbq. HTC is dead, they can't get the latest parts anymore (Qualcomm SoCs, I think), doom and gloom everywhere.

I think like 5 people use ISIS?

insert low terrorism joke about exploding popularity

But seriously, it's a carrier thing and Google probably hopes that they can buy their way into carrier relations with that move. They probably hate how Apple can just announce their thing and have it supported and well-received, while they're like "but we had this years ago!".

Everyone should just get a Xiaomi as their next phone.

If the Chinese OEMs wouldn't cheap out on Qi charging, I'd consider a Xiaomi or OnePlus. But then I'd also have to use their skins and not get any meaningful updates. Ugh.

insert low terrorism joke about exploding popularity

But seriously, it's a carrier thing and Google probably hopes that they can buy their way into carrier relations with that move. They probably hate how Apple can just announce their thing and have it supported and well-received, while they're like "but we had this years ago!".

If the Chinese OEMs wouldn't cheap out on Qi charging, I'd consider a Xiaomi or OnePlus. But then I'd also have to use their skins and not get any meaningful updates. Ugh.

Qi is so 2014. Its all about the quick charging in 2015.

Google acquiring Softcard is hilarious. The carriers spent a bunch of money on it in order to fuck over Google Wallet and I guess other mobile payment options at the time. Now Google is rumored to be buying the carriers' mobile payments baby for significantly less money than the carriers poured into it.

And it's crazy how much power Apple has. It's absurd. No company ever tries to fuck with Apple. At this point, I think Apple could probably enter into any product or service category and succeed even if its product was inferior to the competition.

I don't get the Xperia appeal outside of the great battery.
Xperia phone looks quite nice man. And the UI is decent looking.
There's a natural bias here. This is a gaming forum and Sony had the largest worldwide marketshare in that sector.
Come on let's not bring that nonsense thinking here. I'd like to see a statistic to prove this.
Sony isn't making money off the phones and Reuters is reporting that they intend to sell the phone division. Either way, Xperia is screwed.
Wasn't it Reuters who leaked the Minecraft acquisition by Microsoft?

Sony does a horrible job actually getting it's phones into the hands of consumers. There is no marketing and they always arrive in the US months after they are announced if at all. By that time a better phone is out by someone else.

Wasn't it Reuters who leaked the Minecraft acquisition by Microsoft?
well this isn't JUST a rumour. There are public numbers to back it up. Their TV and Mobile divisions are doing badly. Kaz hirai said nothing is off the table. If they're losing money like mad why continue it.

Sony UI is horrid. Their aesthetics is meh. Not a fan of the glass considering a lot of reports of cracked glass.
I still would have loved a z3c nexus. It's a damn shame they never went for one.

Sch1sm

Airdroid was finally updated today to support AirMirror in Lollipop.

No more having to reach out to grab my phone to reply to Whatsapp messages when I'm sitting by an actual computer.

Have you been using it yet? I started a few hours ago and found it a tad sluggish. Going to unroot, factory reset (I didn't this time with NRT), and root again to see if that makes any difference. Connection drops happened a few times, as well. I'm on Mac in this case and that might all be the difference here, too, but eh. It's great, easy to use. Can only imagine where they'll go with it in the future.

Not the sales Sony has in the gaming sector. I meant the natural bias here on GAF. I don't see what PlayStation has to do with the Xperia line on Gaf. If they correlated with each other, wouldn't the Xperia have better sales? Or more people singing praises for it? If anything, many have an Apple bias for phones.

There is a huge population of passionate PlayStation owners on this forum. They want Sony to do well which means they also want there mobile division to do well. Have you never heard of a fanboy?

I am just talking about the GAF community obviously as this does not apply to the general population where the ps4 does well. Sony markets the fuck out of the ps4 and not the Expedia line. I have no idea why you would mention that as a possible correlation.

The general population in the us has no clue Sony even makes phones. You come on here (a gaming forum in an industry Sony dominates) and people don't shut up about them.

Drifters

Sony makes phones for only a small percentage of people care about. No difference in software or specs would matter if there is no push at the carrier level since their phones off-contract aren't worth the entry fee.

Sony has F'ed the Z line up until the Z3 line but unless they go balls out on the Z4 line and have T-mobiel, ATT, Sprint and Verizon onboard, Sony might as well fold up shop in the mobile division.

The z3 was one of the best phone last year. I preferred it over the G3 lte-a that I had.

Awesome baterry life that last longer than the note 4.

Great screen, sound, camera and performance..etc..pretty much a complete package.

Only con was I had to import the unlock version, not too great fit and finish, and no custom delopment support.

The note 4 and the z3 is my favorite phone from last year.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google acquiring Softcard is hilarious. The carriers spent a bunch of money on it in order to fuck over Google Wallet and I guess other mobile payment options at the time. Now Google is rumored to be buying the carriers' mobile payments baby for significantly less money than the carriers poured into it.

And it's crazy how much power Apple has. It's absurd. No company ever tries to fuck with Apple. At this point, I think Apple could probably enter into any product or service category and succeed even if its product was inferior to the competition.
Google might buy Softcard just to end it. Seems like a fine idea.

As for Apple's power, yup. They will destroy anyone in their path and it is amazing. Best company except for them screwing over their employees with wage fixing. That's so scummy. Otherwise, I love em.

longdi

Banned
I don't get the Xperia appeal outside of the great battery.

Solid block of classy design.
Clean UI.
Waterproofing metal frame with stereo front speakers and micro-sd slot.
Addresses complaints with continual improvement to their designs. Z3 improves on the weight and handling.

What not to like about Xperia (Z2 onwards)?

Which phone you prefer dudz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom