• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

this_guy

The Snapdragon 810 will be Qualcomm's first generation 64 bit processor, and in doing so the cpu cores are standard ARM Cortex A57 (high performance) and and Cortex A53 (better battery life). If Samsung uses their own 64 bit processor, the cpu cores will be the exact same CortexA57 and Cortex A53, but just a different gpu.

Past Snapdragon 32bit processors (805, 801, 800, etc) used Qualcomm's own custom designed Krait cpu core which were better in real world use than the standard Cortex A15 (high performance) and Cortex A7 (better battery life). That's why Snapdragon processors were better on the cpu side than those 8 core Exynos and whatever Nvidia had with their 8 core design, as those 8 core processors were constantly trying to adjust load with battery life with the different cpus cores. Until we see modified 64 bit cpu cores from Qualcomm and not the standard ARM cpu cores I would expect cpu performance to be roughly the same with Exynos, but there will be differences in gpu.

The Exynos used in the Note 4 in some international markets were still 32 bit versions, but if Samsung uses their own Exynos in this year's flagships expect the 64 bit versions.

N6 Battery over

Statistic Type: Unplugged to Current
Since 1 d 19 h 25 m 6 s
============
Battery Info
============
Level lost [%]: Bat.: -97% (100% to 3%) [2.2%/h]
Voltage lost [mV]: (4341-3345) [22.9%/h]
===========
Other Usage
===========
Screen On (): 2 h 41 m 58 s (9718 s) Ratio: 6.2%
Deep Sleep (): 1 d 10 h 4 m 57 s (122697 s) Ratio: 78.5%
Awake (): 9 h 20 m 9 s (33609 s) Ratio: 21.5%

Minimal actual screen usage from my side.

N6 Battery over

Statistic Type: Unplugged to Current
Since 1 d 19 h 25 m 6 s
============
Battery Info
============
Level lost [%]: Bat.: -97% (100% to 3%) [2.2%/h]
Voltage lost [mV]: (4341-3345) [22.9%/h]
===========
Other Usage
===========
Screen On (): 2 h 41 m 58 s (9718 s) Ratio: 6.2%
Deep Sleep (): 1 d 10 h 4 m 57 s (122697 s) Ratio: 78.5%
Awake (): 9 h 20 m 9 s (33609 s) Ratio: 21.5%

Minimal actual screen usage from my side.
Bacon bits is not pleased with these results.

Mindwipe

Doesn't that require root now?

Anyway 2% per hour drain is not too bad

You can run BetterBatteryStats on Windows and use ADB to send the stats there without root while connected via USB.

But it's daft that it's the only option, while finding out what the problem is is so bad given the system provided info.

(Not that it has helped me figure out why my Z3C's battery is a fraction of what it should be).

Better pics of the M9...possibly.....still unsure if dummy case or not:

nexus2cee_HTC-M9-Hima-2-640x853-329x438.jpg
nexus2cee_htc-hima-pic-640x839-329x431.png

Noema

WhatsApp on web? Well, there goes my need for Air Droid's Mirror service.

E: Only on Chrome, though. Maybe I'll use Inbox exclusively now that I have a decent reason to put Chrome on my rMBP.

It's worth it in my opinion. Whatsapp Web is much better than using airmirror. I really have no use for it now, other than maybe Tinder.

Linius

So, I can renew my contract since yesterday. Got three months left on my current contract so I'm not really in a hurry. Though I'm longing for something new. Currently using the Xperia Z which I got on this contract at it's release, almost two years ago already. Kind of doubting if I should go with Z3C or just wait around a bit for the new phones. Will we see big improvements you guys reckon?

Wait, is that really what HTC stands for? Never really thought about it before now.

yes formerly known as that so that's what it stands for which is why it's always funny.

Also did anyone post this quote from LG:

“I don’t understand why there is a issue over heat,” Woo Ram-chan, LG vice president for mobile product planning told Reuters. “I am very much aware of the various concerns in the market about the (Snapdragon) 810, but the chip’s performance is quite satisfactory.”

I can't tell if this is negative for LG who thinks "quite satisfactory" is good enough or a diss on samsung for not being able to get it up to snuff like they have. Either way shots fired.

Sch1sm

It's worth it in my opinion. Whatsapp Web is much better than using airmirror. I really have no use for it now, other than maybe Tinder.

I'm with you entirely. Significantly better than Mirror. No lag, and it's not in beta. Already miles ahead by that alone. AirDroid only exists for SMS for me now, pretty much.

Toki767

Also did anyone post this quote from LG:

I can't tell if this is negative for LG who thinks "quite satisfactory" is good enough or a diss on samsung for not being able to get it up to snuff like they have. Either way shots fired.

Either it's not actually overheating for LG or the phones they're testing get about as warm as their older phones.

NotBacon

Bacon bits is not pleased with these results.

I don't really care

Doesn't that require root now?
Anyway 2% per hour drain is not too bad
How do I force a backup of my Nexus 6 by Google?
so, when I root I can restore my apps easily?
I got 5.5h SOT on full charge with N6 last week when i was using it a lot.

- That's pretty bad. I get 0.5%/h with Ambient and everything on.

- Make sure Auto Backup is on (and "Up to date") in the Photos app. And got to Settings>Accounts>Google>(your email) and make sure everything you want backed up is "synced" recently

- That's weird. Were you standing next to a cell tower last week, and deep in the forest this week?

Linius

This year is the Windows Vista year for cell phones. Get the Z3c, great phone.

That sounds pretty bad. Do the improved processors and such count for nothing?

Also, I'm gonna need it to last for two year again considering my contract. Don't got the money to buy a phone on the fly in between.

That sounds pretty bad. Do the improved processors and such count for nothing?

Also, I'm gonna need it to last for two year again considering my contract. Don't got the money to buy a phone on the fly in between.

If you're looking to sign on for another 2 years then wait for this year flagships. I say that a lot but 2 years is a long time. IF you're one of those that upgrades every year or less then just get anything :p

Linius

If you're looking to sign on for another 2 years then wait for this year flagships. I say that a lot but 2 years is a long time. IF you're one of those that upgrades every year or less then just get anything :p

I can look into 1 year contract deals if that's possible for a reasonable price. But usually you get shitty deals then. And I'm not gonna splash 500 euros on a phone just like that.

Avixph

Apparently they can't: some hardware is slotted under that logo. At least it looks like it'll be thinner this time around.

20MP camera is the real step forward here. An HTC One with a good camera is going to be great.
I don't believe that since HTC can stuff the front facing camera right next to the top Boom Sound speaker without having the same amount of bezel on the top compared to the bottom bezel.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Snapdragon 810 sucks and the Exynos 7 sucks. Lollipop has much higher performance requirements that as of today have not been fixed.

Eh? Lollipop runs smoother than any previous Android version on decent phones (unless you bog it down with some awful mess like TouchWiz, of course). On the N5, with its S800, it's basically flawless. The performance issues people are currently seeing are due to a memory leak bug, and thus have absolutely nothing to do with the performance of the SoC. After a reboot things are amazingly smooth again. So, what you're arguing is simply nonsense.

Eh? Lollipop runs smoother than any previous Android version on any decent phone. On the N5, with its S800, it's basically flawless. The performance issues people are currently seeing are due to a memory leak bug, and thus have absolutely nothing to do with the performance of the SoC. After a reboot things are amazingly smooth again. So, what you're arguing is simply nonsense.

I just wish it ran better on my Nexus 7 2012 lol. But that's more the chip.

Linius

Decided I don't want to wait after all. I can always sell my new phone and scrape some money together if I really want to upgrade sooner. Hello Xperia Z3 Compact Orange.

I'm turning my life upside down, orange phone
JzKGOjM.png

Moto was already bitching about having to clean up the bugs in their loli builds. Googy is failing so hard here.

I still think that Lollipop is the best Android version they've released. But I'm using it mostly because of the looks. I do love the little features they've added (smart unlock!). Now I f Microsoft would just release Cortana on Android, I'd have a hard time going back to Windows Phone. Of course, if there's no affordable and decent Android phone this year (read: Nexus 5 successor), then I might have no choice. We're living in some dark times.

Eh? Lollipop runs smoother than any previous Android version on decent phones (unless you bog it down with some awful mess like TouchWiz, of course). On the N5, with its S800, it's basically flawless. The performance issues people are currently seeing are due to a memory leak bug, and thus have absolutely nothing to do with the performance of the SoC. After a reboot things are amazingly smooth again. So, what you're arguing is simply nonsense.

You are a fool if you think lollipop runs better that kitkat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom