• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

manfestival

if it is waterproof and reasonably priced, then I am so in with the new htc. I miss my m7, one of my favorite phones ever and i killed it at a time when money has been low

Hasney

Bruh... gooogggs is so yesterday....
http://tinyurl.com/n8rcohn

Also, FAUX rage over the 810. The nerd population has known that the 810's were overheating a month ago; How this re-cycled story is just gaining attention is beyond me.

Oh twitter.

SO FAUX

Except that LG Flex is benching lower than 805 phones on top of Sammy not doing it. Fine if they're overheating and they can be clocked down to get around it, but the experience for this years flagships could actually be worse than last years and I think that is just sinking in now.

giga

SO FAUX

Except that LG Flex is benching lower than 805 phones on top of Sammy not doing it. Fine if they're overheating and they can be clocked down to get around it, but the experience for this years flagships could actually be worse than last years and I think that is just sinking in now.
Yikes really? Link?

Wreav

Banned
BGR (take with huge fucking grain of salt) leaking the S6 specs.

64-bit eight-core 14nm CPU which is 50% faster
5.1-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED display with a 577ppi density, stunning outdoor visibility, super dim mode for late night.
A huge 20 megapixel OIS camera sensor and a 5 megapixel f/1.8 front-facing camera with real-time HDR
32 / 64 / 128GB of storage
2550mAh battery
Built-in wireless charging
Four hours of usage on a 10 minute charge
Quick connect charging
Samsung Pay: works with 90% of existing magnetic stripe payment terminals, and NFC payment terminals
Metal and glass body
Gorilla Glass 4
Cat 6 LTE

Sad to see the glass body rumor is getting validated. After the iPhone 4 and N4, no fucking thank you.

CronoShot

BGR (take with huge fucking grain of salt) leaking the S6 specs.

64-bit eight-core 14nm CPU which is 50% faster
5.1-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED display with a 577ppi density, stunning outdoor visibility, super dim mode for late night.
A huge 20 megapixel OIS camera sensor and a 5 megapixel f/1.8 front-facing camera with real-time HDR
32 / 64 / 128GB of storage
2550mAh battery
Built-in wireless charging
Four hours of usage on a 10 minute charge
Quick connect charging
Samsung Pay: works with 90% of existing magnetic stripe payment terminals, and NFC payment terminals
Metal and glass body
Gorilla Glass 4
Cat 6 LTE

Sad to see the glass body rumor is getting validated. After the iPhone 4 and N4, no fucking thank you.

Oh lol

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
WhatsApp finally made it to the web. Works only with Chrome for now.

https://web.whatsapp.com/

America still ain't gonna use it
/s
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

htsee.png

i see the differences alright

Because it would be a pretty decent drop in battery size from the S5 which currently has a 2800mAh battery.

Last year's battery size has zero effect on the current years. This is not ram or drive space. More efficient radios, CPU, and displays can have a huge effect on battery usage. Not to mention how much samsung likes to battle being the thinnest. No the battery size does not prove this rumor to be fake.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Again everyone happy they got another phone instead of waiting for the S6 because it has the Samsung chipset, but I know for a fact that some of you TPain doges couldn't even tell me the fucking difference between the two chips.

I shouldn't expect more from some of you though.

Again everyone happy they got another phone instead of waiting for the S6 because it has the Samsung chipset, but I know for a fact that some of you TPain doges couldn't even tell me the fucking difference between the two chips.

99% of people that buy the phone don't give a damn what processor is in it or will know the difference. The modding and custom rom community will ignore it though. Qualcomm processors actually have detailed documentation that allows porting of code between devices pretty easily to get roms and kernels up and running. This will be non existent on the S6.

Toki767

99% of people that buy the phone don't give a damn what processor is in it or will know the difference. The modding and custom rom community will ignore it though. Qualcomm processors actually have detailed documentation that allows porting of code between devices pretty easily to get roms and kernels up and running. This will be non existent on the S6.

I haven't followed Samsung communities since the S3, but the international versions that used Exynos never had a problem getting rom support if I recall.

I haven't followed Samsung communities since the S3, but the international versions that used Exynos never had a problem getting rom support if I recall.

I think the bigger problem is kernel support. Overall though, you will get much less support on phones with exynos processors compared to ones with qualcomm processors since qualcomm provides better documentation. That could always change, but that's how it is right now. I'll be interested in seeing benchmarks once it's out.

Google is your new carrier.

Google is preparing to sell mobile phone plans directly to customers and manage their calls and mobile data over a cellular network, according to three people with knowledge of the plans, showing how the Internet conglomerate is increasingly wading into new businesses outside of its core in order to spur broader industry change.

The new service is expected run on Sprint and T-Mobile’s networks, two people familiar with the product say. Google is expected to reach deals to buy wholesale access to those carriers’ mobile voice and data networks, making it a mobile virtual network operator, or MVNO, they say.

https://www.theinformation.com/Google-s-Next-Telecom-Move-Becoming-a-Wireless-Carrier

Awesome. Finally we can get OS updates on time, without going through the carrier BS first.

Google is preparing to sell mobile phone plans directly to customers and manage their calls and mobile data over a cellular network, according to three people with knowledge of the plans, showing how the Internet conglomerate is increasingly wading into new businesses outside of its core in order to spur broader industry change.

The new service is expected run on Sprint and T-Mobile’s networks, two people familiar with the product say. Google is expected to reach deals to buy wholesale access to those carriers’ mobile voice and data networks, making it a mobile virtual network operator, or MVNO, they say.

https://www.theinformation.com/Google-s-Next-Telecom-Move-Becoming-a-Wireless-Carrier

Awesome. Finally we can get OS updates on time, without going through the carrier BS first.

They should just buy T-Mobile.

Screw that. Google bring Google Fiber to New York and free us from these oppressive and vile internet service providers.

HTC and android have failed me. Flagship means nothing.
Subsidized flagship phones mean nothing.* You're at the mercy of these Wireless carriers.

Toki767

Since it's Google, you're probably not going to see it in major cities any time soon. Also since it's on Sprint and T-Mobile's networks, this'll be useless for a ton of people.

NotBacon

Why the hate?

You must be new here

image.php

NEXUS FOR EVERYONE

Every time I walk past a Sprint store, I chuckle to myself. Anyone seen their new intiative where if you switch from ATiT or Verizon, your plan gets cut in half. They forgot to mention your speeds get cut in half too!

Google as a carrier could be cool, but I bet they find some way to screw it up.

Last year's battery size has zero effect on the current years. This is not ram or drive space. More efficient radios, CPU, and displays can have a huge effect on battery usage. Not to mention how much samsung likes to battle being the thinnest. No the battery size does not prove this rumor to be fake.
None of that hardware is going to be efficient enough to make up for a battery that small. Then you add Android on top of it. I guarantee that the phone will have meh battery life. Plus, the other reason I don't believe the specs is that they're from BGR.

----

Edit: Jesus, is Sprint really that terrible? No way their speeds are less than half that of other carriers. But if true, what the hell have they (not) been doing to improve their network?

Every time I walk past a Sprint store, I chuckle to myself. Anyone seen their new intiative where if you switch from ATiT or Verizon, your plan gets cut in half. They forgot to mention your speeds get cut in half too!

Oh it is much worse than half. If you are lucky enough to get LTE you get 4-5mbps. 3G is dialup speeds. Not to mention the texts that come hours later and missed calls that never even show up until you get a voicemail notification. I used them for 7 years and dumping them was one of the best decisions. Granted I only paid them like $30 a month for service so I could justify bad service due to price.

If only they were. More like cut by 90%.

Oh it is much worse than half. If you are lucky enough to get LTE you get 4-5mbps. 3G is dialup speeds. Not to mention the texts that come hours later and missed calls that never even show up until you get a voicemail notification. I used them for 7 years and dumping them was one of the best decisions. Granted I only paid them like $30 a month for service so I could justify bad service due to price.
It baffles me that they have as many customers as they do. They are terrible.

----
Edit: Jesus, is Sprint really that terrible? No way their speeds are less than half that of other carriers. But if true, what the hell have they (not) been doing to improve their network?

Look at this article by CNET on 4G LTE. Sprint literally did the worse in all categories.

It baffeles me that they have as many customers as they do. They are terrible.

Look at this article by CNET on 4G LTE. Sprint literally did the worse in all categories.

They were the "hood" network until MetroPCS started stealing their customers. They gave everyone with bad credit a phone. Still alot of people are loyal to Sprint, because they are afraid of change. I knew people on a family plan paying like $300 a month and they refused to change due to this. They are still losing customers left and right compared to the others. Soon enough T-Mobile will pass them as the number 3.

NotBacon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom