• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

Safari supports it, though!

Maybe I should get a Windows Phone.

RedFyn

What, please don't tell me your phone speakers are your MAIN speakers at home? Get some real speakers and save your soul and ears.
My main speakers at home for what? I have "real speakers" for other audio if that's what you mean.

My phone speakers are my main speakers for sound from my phone.

thespot84

Google isn't building towards and antennae but they're laying fiber, which means they'll be able to rent out backhaul to for other providers' new towers, or very cheaply get into the tower/antenna game themselves, if they choose to

SimleuqiR

Google isn't building towards and antennae but they're laying fiber, which means they'll be able to rent out backhaul to for other providers' new towers, or very cheaply get into the tower/antenna game themselves, if they choose to

Doesn't Google own a lot of dark fiber?

Drifters

Doesn't Google own a lot of dark fiber?
Define a lot? They sub-lease from all the cities they go into and build as little as possible. I know a few guys here in Portland working on G's Fiber rollout and that's how they've described other city deployments.

Toki767

Miraculously AT&T tweeted today that the G3 is getting Lollipop soon.

Hilariously before the AT&T version of the Moto X it seems.

Furyous

GE2TXax.jpg

Please be 32 GB and come with a GPE. This device looks great and does this mean a new trend? We get three years out of a phone design before the OEM switches to a new design. It makes sense for profitability reasons.

http://i.imgur.com/GE2TXax.jpg

Please be 32 GB and come with a GPE. This device looks great and does this mean a new trend? We get three years out of a phone design before the OEM switches to a new design. It makes sense for profitability reasons.
people whined about apple releasing S releases in between redesigns meanwhile android phones are basically the same for years lol. Good times good times.

phone activations for Q4 2014, samsung dipping big, everyone else irrelevant:

samsung in their homeland:

people whined about apple releasing S releases in between redesigns meanwhile android phones are basically the same for years lol. Good times good times.

Samsung held their ground considering Q4 was the release of a major new Iphone revision. Of course Apple was going to destroy everything though. Let's see what they do with the Galaxy S6. I will never buy a HTC phone. Resale value is too poor.

You think a looming apple monopoly funny?

Linius

I didn't expect Sony to be filed under 'others'. And it's just crazy that so many people still buy Samsung.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Boothisman.gif

You're gonna have to pretty soon, it's inevitable. The menu button has been deprecated since Android 3.0 was released FOUR YEARS AGO (on phones since 4.0, almost 3.5 years ago). That companies like Samsung have stubbornly been including it for so long after that is a bit disgusting.

You think a looming apple monopoly funny?
There won't be a monopoly. These are strictly premium devices. The future of Android has been trending toward low-mid end prices for a while now. That's why everyone is so scared of companies like xiaomi and zte and huawei and whatnot.

This year will be huge. I think if samsung continues their their downward trend it means they officially won't make a comeback considering they seem to be going all in on revamping their premium line right now.

Linius

My orange Z3C arrived, it's a beauty. And the size is perfect, just a tad bit smaller than the original Z. The regular Z3 would have been too big for sure. Now I just need to wait till my nano sim is activated tomorrow.

Hopefully Lollipop arrives soon.

Linius

Yeah, I looked it up. Apparently it starts rolling out in february. Bring it on Sony. My old Xperia Z will probably get 5.0 much later since they start with the new devices. Updating has never been Sony's strong suit sadly.

Yeah, I looked it up. Apparently it starts rolling out in february. Bring it on Sony. My old Xperia Z will probably get 5.0 much later since they start with the new devices. Updating has never been Sony's strong suit sadly.

As long as you aren't with a us carrier, maybe.

There won't be a monopoly. These are strictly premium devices. The future of Android has been trending toward low-mid end prices for a while now. That's why everyone is so scared of companies like xiaomi and zte and huawei and whatnot.

This year will be huge. I think if samsung continues their their downward trend it means they officially won't make a comeback considering they seem to be going all in on revamping their premium line right now.

Clearly you do not live in the US. All of those companies have zero presence here.

People buy high end in the US whether they can afford it or not.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Clearly you do not live in the US. All of those companies have zero presence here.

That's not totally true. You just don't get the publicity on the lower end. You'd be surprised how many people in the US are on cheap prepaid though.

I'm saying those companies will come to the US. I live in Canada and they don't have a huge presence here either. You can't deny facts though. Premium android handsets are simply not doing well any more and ones that cost less are. Apple is eating up the premium market, and that's fine. I have no qualms with people preferring iphones.

Also companies like huawei have a presence in canada and as does ZTE. It won't be long before they all look to get stronger there. It's just a shame companies like samsung and LG can't possibly compete at those price points. Maybe Samsung will unleash an amazing phone and make a comeback. Only time will tell but androids future is low prices/low margins. In fact I'm pretty sure there was an article not too long ago saying the only reason samsung didn't completely go down the shitter was because of their low/mid range handsets.

The smartphone market is kind of going the way of the PC market. People are figuring if they are gonna spend a lot they might as well get the most premium device and apple owns the premium mindshare both in computers and phones. But there's tons of people who don't want the most premium device or can't afford it or are looking for bang for buck. Android will live in that space barring a huge samsung/htc/lg comeback.

Pachimari

I'm gonna totally wipe everything on my LG G3 tonight, and install Android 5.0 fresh. But do anyone else with a G3 have the stock Lollipop experience (not with the LG skin) ?

That's not totally true. You just don't get the publicity on the lower end. You'd be surprised how many people in the US are on cheap prepaid though.

People go low end once or twice and then they go high end and never look back. It happens over and over. Even all the prepaids carry iphones now as well. Prepaid has nothing to do with it.

I'm saying those companies will come to the US. I live in Canada and they don't have a huge presence here either. You can't deny facts though. Premium android handsets are simply not doing well any more and ones that cost less are. Apple is eating up the premium market, and that's fine. I have no qualms with people preferring iphones.

Also companies like huawei have a presence in canada and as does ZTE. It won't be long before they all look to get stronger there. It's just a shame companies like samsung and LG can't possibly compete at those price points. Maybe Samsung will unleash an amazing phone and make a comeback. Only time will tell but androids future is low prices/low margins. In fact I'm pretty sure there was an article not too long ago saying the only reason samsung didn't completely go down the shitter was because of their low/mid range handsets.

The smartphone market is kind of going the way of the PC market. People are figuring if they are gonna spend a lot they might as well get the most premium device and apple owns the premium mindshare both in computers and phones. But there's tons of people who don't want the most premium device or can't afford it or are looking for bang for buck. Android will live in that space barring a huge samsung/htc/lg comeback.

So we won't have a monopoly BC apple will only be controlling the high end? Lol

And that's banking on the fact that hypothetically our new Chinese gods will come in and take control of the low end?

The low end that is probably less than 10 percent of US smartphone market share. Are you not realizing apple alone is on the verge of controlling half the US market?

Cheebo

Banned
The low end that is probably less than 10 percent of US smartphone market share. Are you not realizing apple alone is on the verge of controlling half the US market?

Apple has always hovered around the 50% mark in USA. Well, at least for the last few years. Android never dominated in the North American market like it does in Europe/Asia, due to as you said North America being primarily a high-end market.

Google could be just pulling it before they have a batch of new phones for GPE. It makes no sense to sell last year's phones anyways, especially for such a small market.

But it's not like they replaced the old GPE phones with new models. The One was actually the only GPE phone that had a follow-up on the store.

SimleuqiR

Isn't GPE dead?

Google could be just pulling it before they have a batch of new phones for GPE. It makes no sense to sell last year's phones anyways, especially for such a small market.

If Google will become a MVNO then they will need to offer phones that work on their service. Specially phones that could easily switch between Sprint and Tmobile networks.

They could go full blown Nexus and offer only that, or they could resurrect GPE and allow other OEM designs to be available at full retail prices.

I don't think GPE is completely dead. We will probably see a similar approach if they do end up launching this Nova wireless service.

Silver/GPE/Nexus/Nova...the pieces are coming together.

So we won't have a monopoly BC apple will only be controlling the high end? Lol

And that's banking on the fact that hypothetically our new Chinese gods will come in and take control of the low end?

Uhhh the low end is a far bigger market than the high end so yes it will not be a monopoly. But if we're specifically speaking about the high end yes apple owns it but they aren't using cheap tactics like monopolies tend to do. People just....like their shit more than they like the high end android shit. And that's fair. There's a big difference between high end android and high end iphone, it's a totally different experience. Whereas there isn't that big of a difference between a oneplus for 350 and a galaxy s5.

Uhhh the low end is a far bigger market than the high end so yes it will not be a monopoly. But if we're specifically speaking about the high end yes apple owns it but they aren't using cheap tactics like monopolies tend to do. People just....like their shit more than they like the high end android shit. And that's fair. There's a big difference between high end android and high end iphone, it's a totally different experience. Whereas there isn't that big of a difference between a oneplus for 350 and a galaxy s5.

Sure world wide it may be but I don't give a shit about that. I care about the US where the low end is small. And I don't know if you noticed but the US is one of the most important markets on the planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom