• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzare

iphones are overpriced and overrated? Apple only charges what the market will pay. Their product is one of the extremely few very premium-all-round smartphones out there.

As for beats, I personally don't care for them and someone already said it above but everyone knows you could get better sound quality for less if you really knew your audio shit but most people don't care. It sounds great to them and it's a great fashion accessory.
Of course they are. Market is strange, logic is not usually the main part of equation. Plus many of those who pay for an iPhone do it in a way ,subsidised ,that allows them to buy a product they never would if they had to pay at once. And carriers also favour high end devices adoption.
And i didn't say they aren't premium. I said they are overpriced and overrated. There are a number of phones out there cheaper that if had the apple logo would be way more popular and also deliver similar,if not better experiences. The power of the brand has power, as sony tvs had in the past vs other brands. But in a world where the smartphone is like having a Vuitton bag vs zara one as long as Apple has that brand appeal other contenders will have a tough time.

The beats thing is not that different from apple.
Plus let's be real, most people just use whatsapp and Facebook and candy crush and won't care about updates, os,and if battery lasts 1 day and a half or two as long as they reach the end of the day. And if on top of that you have an iPhone you are cool/fancy/whatever

iphones are overpriced and overrated? Apple only charges what the market will pay. Their product is one of the extremely few very premium-all-round smartphones out there.

As for beats, I personally don't care for them and someone already said it above but everyone knows you could get better sound quality for less if you really knew your audio shit but most people don't care. It sounds great to them and it's a great fashion accessory.
I think Iphones are slightly overpriced. A base price $700 for a phone with 16gb of storage, 750p resolution, and 1gb of ram is pushing it. But as you said, the market is more than willing to pay for that.

Linius

I'd have to pay 700 euros for a 16gb iPhone 6 vs the 500 euros for my Z3 Compact. I think it's fair to say iPhone is overpriced.

I think the biggest problem with Apple's market share in the US is the perception problem that most big app developers have, because they're in the US as well. iOS first, Android later is really weird, when it comes to apps.

tzare

I'd have to pay 700 euros for a 16gb iPhone 6 vs the 500 euros for my Z3 Compact. I think it's fair to say iPhone is overpriced.
This.Not only that, the z3c is probably the better phone overall. I also can't think where iPhone 6+ is better than my note 4.
And most flagships play in the same league. Better here worse there. But most of the time cheaper.
One thing apple has the edge is the ecosystem, Google should improve there. They have some solutions that most people don't even know exist and are great, like Google music free storage for 20k songs, remote desktop etc etc.

I think the biggest problem with Apple's market share in the US is the perception problem that most big app developers have, because they're in the US as well. iOS first, Android later is really weird, when it comes to apps.

IMO, its more of the fact that the camera is consistently good, the idle battery drain is great and iMessage.

There is no iMessage community equal on Android considering not enough android users are using hangouts.

Linius

It's easier for Apple to have their phones operate smooth with inferior tech due to the fact that their software only runs on a couple of phones currently out there. iOS is sailing smooth, apps plenty. There's a certain user comfort about it. It's more one thing as opposed to every Android phone being different.

And well, no one will deny that Apple is just hot to have on top of the above. Apple is regarded as cool and people want to belong to a group. It annoys me much more how many people buy expensive macbooks while all they do is writing homework and browsing the internet. That's a real waste of money.

IMO, its more of the fact that the camera is consistently good, the idle battery drain is great and iMessage.

There is no iMessage equal on Android considering not enough android users are using hangouts

The iMessage argument doesn't hold up in The Netherlands. Whatsapp is by far the leading messenger app. iPhone owners also use whatsapp here.

Elchele

There is no iMessage community equal on Android considering not enough android users are using hangouts.

Nobody cares about iMessage outside of the US. Whatsapp is the messaging app in the rest of the world.
People buy the iPhone because of the brand, being cool and everything.

I think Android is getting bigger and bigger in other countries because of the price of the iPhone. In US is subsided, but in Europe and a lot of other regions you have to pay the full price upfront, which is insane. Who pays so much money for a fucking phone? I purchased an iPhone back when the price was 399$. That's a more realistic price.

Linius

I don't have to pay my phone up front m8

By the way, my uncle used to be the only person I knew who cared about his iMessage. So up till two years ago I used to text with him because he refused to go on whatsapp. Then Android started taking over his circle of friends and now he's on whatsapp too
p1kx90C.png

It's easier for Apple to have their phones operate smooth with inferior tech due to the fact that their software only runs on a couple of phones currently out there. iOS is sailing smooth, apps plenty. There's a certain user comfort about it. It's more one thing as opposed to every Android phone being different.

And well, no one will deny that Apple is just hot to have on top of the above. Apple is regarded as cool and people want to belong to a group. It annoys me much more how many people buy expensive macbooks while all they do is writing homework and browsing the internet. That's a real waste of money.

The iMessage argument doesn't hold up in The Netherlands. Whatsapp is by far the leading messenger app. iPhone owners also use whatsapp here.

Nobody cares about iMessage outside of the US. Whatsapp is the messaging app in the rest of the world.

I still would believe Android is getting bigger and bigger in other countries because of the price of the iPhone. In US is subsided, but in Europe and a lot of other regions you have to pay the full price upfront, which is insane. Who pays so much money for a fucking phone? I purchased an iPhone back when the price was 399$. That's a more realistic price.

Read the post I was replying to. We are specifically talking about the US.

That doesn't explain the roll out of certain features that happen on iOS first. It might not be that bad anymore, but it certainly has happened.

Some other research said that iOS is easier and cheaper to develop for because there are more tools to develop on iOS and there is less fragmentation in iOS vs. Android. One number put it at 2-3 times more expensive to develop an app for Android than it is for iOS. I'm not an app developer so I don't know first hand if that is true, but if it is then it might explain why iOS gets feature updates before Android.

Linius

Some other research said that iOS is easier and cheaper to develop for because there are more tools to develop on iOS and there is less fragmentation in iOS vs. Android. One number put it at 2-3 times more expensive to develop an app for Android than it is for iOS. I'm not an app developer so I don't know first hand if that is true, but if it is then it might explain why iOS gets feature updates before Android.

Yeah what I got from developers is that Apple is easier to create apps for because there's a limited amount of models in an all most identical eco system that will have to run the app. See it as developing a platform exclusive vs. multi platform games.

I knew that developing apps on Android is more expensive, due to the nature of it, but 2-3 times more expensive sounds crazy. That definitely puts some things into perspective.

I think Iphones are slightly overpriced. A base price $700 for a phone with 16gb of storage, 750p resolution, and 1gb of ram is pushing it. But as you said, the market is more than willing to pay for that.
I agree that apple can afford to offer more for their price points. Not like they haven't taken lots of heat for their storage space (specifically the 8gb models). I just think overpriced is a hard thing to call it. I mean the market decides decides that. People want it people pay it. Then again I also disagree with the notion that iphone owners are sheep and robots who will do whatever their master says (not that anyone is saying that here). If customers felt it was overpriced they wouldn't buy it.

But if someone told me their personal opinion was that it was overpriced I would not disagree.

Crisco

Banned

2-3 times? For a hardware accelerated 3D game maybe. For your average webapp with a nice UI that serves some kind of dynamic content or media, i don't know why it would cost anymore. Write once in javascript/css/html and build for every platform. Spending 2-3 more is ridiculous.

I agree that apple can afford to offer more for their price points. Not like they haven't taken lots of heat for their storage space (specifically the 8gb models). I just think overpriced is a hard thing to call it. I mean the market decides decides that. People want it people pay it. Then again I also disagree with the notion that iphone owners are sheep and robots who will do whatever their master says (not that anyone is saying that here). If customers felt it was overpriced they wouldn't buy it.

But if someone told me their personal opinion was that it was overpriced I would not disagree.
It's funny because Apple farts billons of dollars. The last time I checked, Apple was worth more than Poland; a company worth more than a country. I don't know if that's still true but Apple could absolutely sell more sensibly priced phones. It wouldn't fit with their price margins are though.

It's funny because Apple farts billons of dollars. The last time I checked, Apple was worth more than Poland; a company worth more than a country. I don't know if that's still true but Apple could absolutely sell more sensibly priced phones. It wouldn't fit with their price margins.
Even though I plan to get an android phone this year I will legit boycott them if they go with 16gb minimum again. I don't think they will but lawwwd have mercy.

That goes to android manufacturers as well. I best not see 16gb base models unless you're selling a lower priced phone.

2-3 times? For a hardware accelerated 3D game maybe. For your average webapp with a nice UI that serves some kind of dynamic content or media, i don't know why it would cost anymore. Write once in javascript/css/html and build for every platform. Spending 2-3 more is ridiculous.

Good point. Most people that arent developers do not understand this. Most apps only need to be coded in one language like javascript (cordova, phonegap) or in c# (xamarin). Only companies with decent budgets or games should really code native if they want to support ios and android. Sure testing/support maybe more expensive still due the amount of devices but that 2-3 times number is complete bullshit.

Linius

I've got my Z3C in use for about a day now, sim card was activated early this morning. And I'm loving it. Everything is just so much better compared to the original Z. And the size is perfect. And I love the color.

I think Android is getting bigger and bigger in other countries because of the price of the iPhone. In US is subsided, but in Europe and a lot of other regions you have to pay the full price upfront, which is insane. Who pays so much money for a fucking phone? I purchased an iPhone back when the price was 399$. That's a more realistic price.

even as an android user this is getting really tired already.

even as an android user this is getting really tired already.

It certainly gets tired as an iOS user too. I've used both Android and iOS. In fact the last phone I had before buying a 6 Plus was a OnePlus One. I went back to iOS because I actually preferred iOS, there were a handful of apps I missed from iOS, and I like they way my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook all work together. Never once has buying an iPhone or any other Apple device involved the thought process of it being cool.

It certainly gets tired as an iOS user too. I've used both Android and iOS. In fact the last phone I had before buying a 6 Plus was a OnePlus One. I went back to iOS because I actually preferred iOS, there were a handful of apps I missed from iOS, and I like they way my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook all work together. Never once has buying an iPhone or any other Apple device involved the thought process of it being cool.
meh people just want to try to justify in their minds why so many people like something that they do not. Hell I prefer Android to iOS (not in all ways, only slightly) and I got the iphone 6 because I was just disappointed with the 2014 offerings.

iPhone is the easy choice to make... and there's reasons for that. Being the "cool" thing to buy isn't one of them.

Wreav

Banned
The iPhone is a refined piece of kit. Some people prefer that over more raw functionality like file systems etc. The 2014 Android offerings didn't match the experience that the iPhone 6 gave me, so it's iOS for now. Hopefully an OEM steps up big this year.

What exactly did iPhone offer in 2014 that was so compelling? I would like to know.
Meh it's just a total package kind of thing. For me personally, the size/build quality/camera/battery/etc...There's literally not a single negative thing I can point out in my day to day experiences.

Meanwhile I love my nexus 9 but it has shitty ass battery life and lollipop performance is questionable. When I used my nexus 5 as my main I loved it but the battery life was garbage. When I had my HTC One M7 I thought the battery was just alright and I'm not a huge fan of sense even if it was a big improvement over their previous versions.

I've always said it but with android it always seems to be a pick your poison kind of thing for me personally. Which one has the flaw I'm willing to live with lol. But this year I'm willing to be a little flexible (though not on battery). Soooooo impress me mofos.

Wreav

Banned
Meh it's just a total package kind of thing. For me personally, the size/build quality/camera/battery/etc...There's literally not a single negative thing I can point out in my day to day experiences.

That's probably the best way to put it. The phone never gets in the way of my interaction with it, and manages to get OUT of my way better than any Android.

Finger print security
I actually did hear a lot about this.

Meanwhile I love my nexus 9 but it has shitty ass battery life and lollipop performance is questionable. When I used my nexus 5 as my main I loved it but the battery life was garbage. When I had my HTC One M7 I thought the battery was just alright and I'm not a huge fan of sense even if it was a big improvement over their previous versions.

I've always said it but with android it always seems to be a pick your poison kind of thing for me personally. Which one has the flaw I'm willing to live with lol. But this year I'm willing to be a little flexible (though not on battery). Soooooo impress me mofos.
I heard that the regular sized iPhone battery was decent, nothing amazing. So what about iOS? How has that been treating you?

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
So I've been contemplating upgrading from my Nexus 5 to either a Nexus 6 or Note 4 and after extensive research I have to admit the 6 is pretty disappointing.

Biggest thing is the mediocre display. I read the AnandTech review and this stood out to me:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8687/the-nexus-6-review/3

Overall, the Nexus 6 display is quite poor relative to the displays on other smartphones like the Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6, and HTC One (M7). It's also a definite regression from the display on the Nexus 5, which is concerning given the fact that the Nexus 6 is $300 more expensive.

Looks like I'm going with the Note 4. smh Googy. I wanted to like it but it's clear that the Nexus 6 was kind of an afterthought that spawned from the Android Silver debacle.

Drifters

The problem with Apple products is they have an Apple on them.

I actually did hear a lot about this.
I heard that the regular sized iPhone battery was decent, nothing amazing. So what about iOS? How has that been treating you?
Well I'm coming from a nexus 5 so the battery is pretty great. But yeah it's nothing special I would say the regular 6 has a good battery at best. And that's fine. As long as it's not an average-bad one. The amazing idle time helps a bit.

I've had zero problems with iOS. I've read the articles about people saying iOS finally isn't perfect but it never was. With that said in day to day usage I've noticed absolutely nothing wrong. I like all the additions of iOS8 as well.

So I've been contemplating upgrading from my Nexus 5 to either a Nexus 6 or Note 4 and after extensive research I have to admit the 6 is pretty disappointing.

Biggest thing is the mediocre display. I read the AnandTech review and this stood out to me:

Looks like I'm going with the Note 4. smh Googy. I wanted to like it but it's clear that the Nexus 6 was kind of an afterthought that spawned from the Android Silver debacle.
not as good doesn't mean bad though, check it out in a store. If that's the only thing stopping you from getting a nexus 6 you should definitely check it out in person.

It's time for real world stats. I call thee, NotBacon, to show him the wonders of a Nexus
Well I'm coming from a nexus 5 so the battery is pretty great. But yeah it's nothing special I would say the regular 6 has a good battery at best. And that's fine. As long as it's not an average-bad one. The amazing idle time helps a bit.

I've had zero problems with iOS. I've read the articles about people saying iOS finally isn't perfect but it never was. With that said in day to day usage I've noticed absolutely nothing wrong. I like all the additions of iOS8 as well.
You see, I contemplated getting an IPhone 6 plus last year when waiting for that damn Nexus 6. I even went to an Apple store to try it out and I couldn't see what the big fuss was about. Everything looked fine, the camera and display was excellent, but iOS 8 was more rigid then I expected. I just couldn't justify $900 for a phone I wasn't blown away by. It goes back to the earlier discussion about the prices. I just cannot see what iPhones offer that demands outrageous prices. But I guess that's just me.

Pooya

iPhone 6plus battery life is really impressive all things considered, don't just look at some benchmarks. In practical use this thing is a beast, the standby time, it barely drains. I feel iPhone has much faster GPS lock too. Some people just don't want to mess with their phone and iPhones are better for that. I still like android phones more because I'm a PC guy and want my phone work like a PC too as much I can but I can see even the best phones don't hold up in some aspects.

Then it's the matter of apps and specially games, I feel android will never have the same level of quality and priority to developers, sure it has improved a lot from like 2 years ago even but it's not equal, stuff still come late, years even, apps don't have the same polish not to mention tablet compatibility still not all that good.. User base doesn't seem to matter much here.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm excited to leave Europe because then I can uninstall WhatsApp.

It's time for real world stats. I call thee, NotBacon, to show him the wonders of a NexusYou see, I contemplated getting an IPhone 6 plus last year when waiting for that damn Nexus 6. I even went to an Apple store to try it out and I couldn't see what the big fuss was about. Everything looked fine, the camera and display was excellent, but iOS 8 was more rigid then I expected. I just couldn't justify $900 for a phone I wasn't blown away by. It goes back to the earlier discussion about the prices. I just cannot see what iPhones offer that demands outrageous prices. But I guess that's just me.
don't worry this year the phone buying decision will be made easy #htcNexusisReal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom