• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furyous

Is it me or is smartphone development stagnating?

Next year should see 64 bit processors and 1440x2550 2K screens. After that where do you see this going?

I'm pumped for IO. Watches on the way which i won't buy because screw first gen tech. Hopefully we receive a GPE G3.

I can't wait until 3000 mah, LTE radios, 1080p screens, and wireless charging are the low spec.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Next year should see 64 bit processors and 1440x2550 2K screens. After that where do you see this going?

I'm pumped for IO. Watches on the way which i won't buy because screw first gen tech. Hopefully we receive a GPE G3.

I can't wait until 3000 mah, LTE radios, 1080p screens, and wireless charging are the low spec.

Hopefully we will get a huge push on battery life soon. We need more phones like the Razr Maxx. Forgo a little thickness for ridiculous battery life.

Crisco

Banned
I think wearables are the future, they just need to figure out one that doesn't make you look like a techno douche. Also holographic displays. Oh and charging over the wireless network, that will be the next big thing.

DonMigs85

Is HW video acceleration borked on all devices sporting Android 4.3 and later or is it just the Nexus devices?
My Jellybean 4.1.2 LG phone with an MSM8960 SoC can handle HW acceleration in MX Player just fine, but the same file only plays in software mode on my 2013 Nexus 7. And naturally it's choppier there.

HawkeyeIC

Nexus 9

According to our information, the tablet is internally referred to as the Nexus 9, though this name could change before it comes to market. Here's what we've heard so far in the specs department:
8.9" Display at 2048x1440 (281ppi)
NVIDIA Logan 64-bit processor (Tegra K1)
2GB RAM
16/32GB internal storage
8MP OIS main camera, 3MP front facing camera
Aluminum zero-gap construction
Stereo front-facing speakers
8.91"x5.98"x0.31" body (that's 22.63x15.19x0.79cm)
418g (or 427g with LTE) (that's 14.74/15.1 ounces)

nexusae0_wm_V-Overall_thumb.png

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/21/this-is-volantis-htcs-nine-inch-nexus-tablet/

Jigolo

Please be 3:2 aspect ratio. It's not as long as 16:10 and not as wide as 4:3.

A.K.A the perfect aspect ratio for everything.

Husker86

Still 2GB of RAM? Well I suppose it will be a good price. I have been noticing a bit of app reload issues when multitasking with 2GB.

Love the ratio.

Furyous

Their marketing plan has to be strong for this device to succeed. GTFOH with 281 PPI in 2014. Ditto for 16 GB as well. Where's the SD slot? IMHO, leave out LTE and add an SD slot to at least justify this price. If this sticks then I'll wait for the next GPAD GPE. I'm stunned at that PPI. Those software buttons better be small.

This brings up another interesting point. Is there something that's stopping Google or OEMs from giving us a the ability to switch between hardware and software buttons?

Can someone console me with tales of how the screen should make up for that laughable PPI? As a tech enthusiast I'm saddened right now.

CronoShot

Anyone else having a problem seeing some apps on the Play Store? Whenever I go to (for example) Chrome and touch the More by Google Inc. category at the bottom, I only see a small portion of the apps Google actually has on the Play Store. Seems like that for every developer when I try to see More By _____. I can still search and find the apps I don't see, it's just really odd. Seems to be the same on all of my Android devices.

MarkusRJR

Anyone else having a problem seeing some apps on the Play Store? Whenever I go to (for example) Chrome and touch the More by Google Inc. category at the bottom, I only see a small portion of the apps Google actually has on the Play Store. Seems like that for every developer when I try to see More By _____. I can still search and find the apps I don't see, it's just really odd. Seems to be the same on all of my Android devices.
Yeah I've had problems with the "More by ______" section as well. There is a SEGA sale going on an I had to search for each individually because of it. :/

DonMigs85

Their marketing plan has to be strong for this device to succeed. GTFOH with 281 PPI in 2014. Ditto for 16 GB as well. Where's the SD slot? IMHO, leave out LTE and add an SD slot to at least justify this price. If this sticks then I'll wait for the next GPAD GPE. I'm stunned at that PPI. Those software buttons better be small.

This brings up another interesting point. Is there something that's stopping Google or OEMs from giving us a the ability to switch between hardware and software buttons?

Can someone console me with tales of how the screen should make up for that laughable PPI? As a tech enthusiast I'm saddened right now.

Still beat's the iPad Air's 264 PPI and don't expect Nexus devices to ever have an SD slot.
Also on the bright side, games will perform better than at 2560x1440 or something higher.

Furyous

Still beat's the iPad Air's 264 PPI and don't expect Nexus devices to ever have an SD slot.
Also on the bright side, games will perform better than at 2560x1440 or something higher.

This is comparable to an iPad mini retina in terms of PPI, IMHO. Like I said, they'll need to do a helluva job convincing me to buy one.

For the record, I've owned an iPad mini retina earlier this year but didn't see the point at the time. Maybe there's something else in there that will convince me to buy one. Anand hopefully puts this through an extensive test.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I love the Nexus 9 form factor. It's perfect. But tegra, ram, resolution, and price are awful. At least it has front speakers.

AJ is buying me a 360 guys!

Android L is not arriving this week. Fall.

This is why I bought a nexus 5 earlier this year. I'm expecting to get at least 4-5 years of use out of it. When Google stops supporting it I will go for custom roms to keep it updated. I had a very old Samsung Galaxy S before the nexus and it was horribly slow with cyanogenmod installed. Now that smartphones aren't evolving so fast my Nexus should last longer.

Smart watches seem dumb to me because you'll have to charge them a lot. My "dumb watch" (just a digital clock) has lasted over 2 years without a battery change which is part of the appeal.

Jigolo

I know people have been shitting on the Tegra chips because of how awful T2 and T3 were but haven't Nvidia been supporting the hell out of T4 on the game console thing.

I see new light.

Groof

Nividia has been nothing but empty promises and personal hypebeasting. If things changed this time, and they can show that they can support their chipset properly this time around I can give them the benefit of the doubt. But I wouldn't trust them too much unless they provide proper support for this and their next chips.

the new Tegra is always supposed to be really good. can't give them the benefit of the doubt 4 years in a row...

Yeah, I guess you have a point. Maybe this time will be the real deal.

------

On another note, AcDisplay is awesome. Best Moto Active Display copy out there. Looks so good on OLED displays, which are the best screen tech in my opinion. If there's one thing Samsung should get praise for, it's their displays. Anyway, I wish Google would go back to OLED screens on their devices.

Oh, and anyone with a KitKat at&t gs4, the geohotz towelroot exploit works. Don't know what I'd do without Xposed to help pretty up the shit that is TouchWiz.

After using my N10 pretty much every day since it released, I think an 8-9" 4:3 screen would be perfect. Still big enough for comic and magazine reading but better to hold in portrait and slightly lighter/more portable.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Used a Dell Venue 8 (8 for 8in) recently and the screen size was just about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom