• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

The upgrade plans really aren't that bad unless you take them up on the trade-in. If you just need a phone and don't want to pay full price up front, then there is nothing bad about taking their interest-free "loan" and doing installments.

When you start upgrading whenever you can and trading your phone into them to get a new one is when you will start losing.

A new report on Thursday says that Sprint has eight banks ready to provide it with financing, in order to make a purchase of rival carrier T-Mobile. The amount of the financing comes out to $40 billion, which includes a $20 billion bridge loan that would be made by SoftBank to Sprint. Another $20 billion would involve the refinancing of existing debt owed by T-Mobile.

Five major lenders, JP Morgan Chase & Co, Goldman Sachs Group, Deutsche Bank AG, Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Citigroup Inc, have agreed to finance the transaction. A trio of Japanese banks, Mizuho Financial Group Inc, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd and Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group, are also believed to be involved. SoftBank and Sprint are moving ahead, planning the transaction despite the odds that regulators will try to block the deal. According to those familiar with the transaction, the deal will be announced in August.

T-Mobile is owned by Deusche Telekom, and the German Telecommunications firm has apparently agreed to the broad outline of a deal that would pay T-Mobile stockholders $40 a share. That would value T-Mobile at $32 billion. If regulators block the transaction, Deutsche Telekom would receive a $2 billion break-up free from SoftBank. On the other hand, if Deutsche Telekom pulls out of the transaction, SoftBank will receive a $1 billion break-up fee from Deutsche Telekom.

There is speculation that if a deal is completed, T-Mobile CEO John Legere will be tapped to run the combined company.

source: Reuters

Hey gaf I'm making a world clocks app because I really didn't like the ones available. What do you think of this design? You can change the city name colors and 12/24hr time if you haven't guessed lol

2OYU5lD.png

EDIT: Play store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fluffydelusions.app.worldclock

Daria

The upgrade plans really aren't that bad unless you take them up on the trade-in. If you just need a phone and don't want to pay full price up front, then there is nothing bad about taking their interest-free "loan" and doing installments.

When you start upgrading whenever you can and trading your phone into them to get a new one is when you will start losing.

I'm planning on using the upgrade and then holding on to it for probably 6 months or so and then swapping it out again. But the only catch is that I'll have to pay 60% of a $600 phone before I can do that which seems a tad high just to give it back.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Now that Nokia got rid of their failing phone business, they're finally able to chase the Android dream.

how many apps do people have installed that this is a problem/solution?

anyway, my apps are already 1 second away because they're on the homescreen. I can also fit more than 6 because I don't have a big dumb clock taken up space.

WoodWERD

Hey gaf I'm making a world clocks app because I really didn't like the ones available. What do you think of this design? You can change the city name colors and 12/24hr time if you haven't guessed lol

Looks good but I like having mine displayed on the home screen instead of launching an app. Any options for that? I'm using 'Minimalist Text' currently.

vdlow

It's really nice, but at least for me, the most important thing will be a beautiful widget or an informative DashClock extension showing the time at the cities I choose.

The only app with an acceptable world clock widget that won't make my homescreen ugly is Google stock Clock app, so if you nail the widget, I can't see why your app wouldn't be successful. =)

JoeFu

Banned
Just downloaded the beta for ZLauncher.

It's so basic... you just write on the screen to search apps. Am I missing something here?

So I figured you guys are the best to ask.

I currently have an S3 and I'm due for an upgrade in July.

I'm going to be moving to TMobile from Verizon, so my options are a bit more open.

Not sure what to get tho. I dig stock Android so I was looking at some of the devices on the Play store, Nexus 5, Sony Z Ultra, and HTC M8 all look appealing.

The S5 looks nice but I just don't use that extra Samsung stuff. I also dig Sony's Z1S.

Whats a solid phone on the market right now?

It's really nice, but at least for me, the most important thing will be a beautiful widget or an informative DashClock extension showing the time at the cities I choose.

The only app with an acceptable world clock widget that won't make my homescreen ugly is Google stock Clock app, so if you nail the widget, I can't see why your app wouldn't be successful. =)

I have a widget that rotates all your clocks :) I'm putting it up shortly so you can test it out.

pronk420

someone on reddit pointed out the status bar on the nexus 5 here https://www.google.com/events/io (scroll down to conference in your pocket) is different to the current icons.

small change but it looks really nice, i hope they go with fully translucent status/nav bar with app background everywhere as well but thats probably just the design of the image.

its especially bad on the play store where the top and bottom black borders for status bar/nav bar on almost every screenshot ruin the style of the app. it somehow makes nice apps look really poorly designed and tacky because of the constrast with the black.

Husker86

someone on reddit pointed out the status bar on the nexus 5 here https://www.google.com/events/io (scroll down to conference in your pocket) is different to the current icons.

small change but it looks really nice, i hope they go with fully translucent status/nav bar with app background everywhere as well but thats probably just the design of the image.

its especially bad on the play store where the top and bottom black borders for status bar/nav bar on almost every screenshot ruin the style of the app. it somehow makes nice apps look really poorly designed and tacky because of the constrast with the black.

This brings up a question I have as a pretty new developer.

For apps (not games), would users generally prefer to have the navigation buttons visible, or Immersive Mode enabled?

I was thinking for myself personally, and I almost think Immersive mode might be somewhat annoying in a general app (again, not a game).

What do you all say?

Google just needs to make an api to make nav/status bar transparent or lightly shadowed.

Sanjuro

What do you guys use for icon packs? I've been trying to look around a bit, but I keep going back to kovdev's Lumos due to the sheer number of applications it supports.

Here is a link to try it out
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fluffydelusions.app.worldclock

kehs

Banned
This brings up a question I have as a pretty new developer.

For apps (not games), would users generally prefer to have the navigation buttons visible, or Immersive Mode enabled?

I was thinking for myself personally, and I almost think Immersive mode might be somewhat annoying in a general app (again, not a game).

What do you all say?

Google just needs to make an api to make nav/status bar transparent or lightly shadowed.

Depends on the app. Something like a messenger. Keep them on either transparent or normal. I'm not really a big fan of transparent, they look horrible in every app that uses them.

If it's a browser, or a reading app (newstand, rss feed, etc), where you're gonna be reading/viewing non interactive content for at least a few minutes, I want the most screen space available.

Blades64

Banned
So I updated my Nexus 5 to 4.4.4, and when I looked up the apps I notice that Google Play Music is gone. So I go into the Play Store to manually download it and it tells me that it's not available in my country (I live in Belize).

I have been using the Play Music app as my music player from since I got this phone and it was never a problem before. I just play music that I store myself on the device. I don't use it to buy music off the internet or anything. Is there any way I can get the app back?

Or are there any better music player apps put there?

thenexus6

So I updated my Nexus 5 to 4.4.4, and when I looked up the apps I notice that Google Play Music is gone. So I go into the Play Store to manually download it and it tells me that it's not available in my country (I live in Belize).

I have been using the Play Music app as my music player from since I got this phone and it was never a problem before. I just play music that I store myself on the device. I don't use it to buy music off the internet or anything. Is there any way I can get the app back?

Or are there any better music player apps put there?

Thats odd, i'll download and see if same thing happens to me.

MarkusRJR

So I just had a one hour visit at my carrier (Telus) about unlocked phones not working with MMS (I borrowed my brother's phone because my current one is fucked and has sharp glass sticking out). Basically we ended up trying 3 of my brother's phones, 2 sim cards, and he fiddled with the APN settings a billion times before giving up. Ends up putting my SIM card in a Telus-locked display phone and it works instantly. Go figure.

Told me that they don't offer further support than that for non-Telus phones and implied I had to buy one of their phones or deal with no MMS. Kind of annoyed since I was waiting to buy a OnePlus One.

Here are the phones they carry.

Which phone should I go for? I'd prefer a cheaper one (sub $400), but the only cheap ones are old Samsung phones.

EDIT: Issue solved. The rep clearly wasn't tech literate or something. Used .com instead of .net for the MMS URL. The wait for the OnePlus One continues... :(

NotBacon

Still think their screen and camera will be behind the competition. Battery maybe on par and software ahead.

They acknowledged the weak points on the Moto X, especially the camera, and said they were going to put most of their work into that. It's also going to have a 1080p screen...

SoC behind the competition as well

Specs != experience

It's supposed to have the snapdragon 800 and the killer X8 architecture. That's more than enough for 100% of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom