• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwardo

I just updated my HTC One and I gotta say I really dont like the new colors on everything. Text feels harder to read on my homescreen as well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So this just went up for pre-order,

http://oppostyle.com/find-7/85-find-7-white-us-version.html

Spec wise, it's basically the best Android phone available today, and the best option for a flagship phone off contract. Nice design too, metal frame and looks high end. Would like to read a review from a reputable site, but I think I'm getting it.

Actually Samsung just officially announced their GS5 Prime super pimp version. So that holds the spec crown. Granted it is Korea only for now, but still. :p

Cryst

I just updated my HTC One and I gotta say I really dont like the new colors on everything. Text feels harder to read on my homescreen as well.

You can change your font style in Sense 6 under settings>display. Maybe that'll make things easier on your eyes.

Not much you can do in the way of colors. Could try the new built-in themes, but they are largely just changing the color palette on the new color coding thing in Sense.

Edwardo

You can change your font style in Sense 6 under settings>display. Maybe that'll make things easier on your eyes.

Not much you can do in the way of colors. Could try the new built-in themes, but they are largely just changing the color palette on the new color coding thing in Sense.

Thanks. I'll try some stuff out. It'll grow it me most likely.

So just got the HTC M8 from sprint and this phone is really incredible, however Sprint Spark renders the phone portion unusable in my area. So I have to get a phone without it. My options are a note 3 and an iPhone. Now I already have a Nexus 7 so my Android experience is still there and I'm thinking of switching over... Again. The note is fucking huge and I'm having a touch time seeing why I need another giant Android device. Additionally, I just got off of the Galaxy s3 and don't want another cheap feeling Samsung device... probably ever. What say you Android gaf?

So just got the HTC M8 from sprint and this phone is really incredible, however Sprint Spark renders the phone portion unusable in my area. So I have to get a phone without it. My options are a note 3 and an iPhone. Now I already have a Nexus 7 so my Android experience is still there and I'm thinking of switching over... Again. The note is fucking huge and I'm having a touch time seeing why I need another giant Android device. Additionally, I just got off of the Galaxy s3 and don't want another cheap feeling Samsung device... probably ever. What say you Android gaf?

get the iPhone.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Who cares if manufacturers upgrade twice a year now. The upgrades aren't drastic. I don't care. Software is king.

Moto x

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So I am trying to figure out if the just announced free music streaming on Tmobile is only if you have a Simple Choice plan or if it applies to older contracted plans?

I tested Spotify and it seemed to be adding to my used data but I am not even sure if it has started yet.

Cake Boss

Banned
Whats the general conscious on the google event next week regarding the nexus line, I want to pick up the Nexus 5 but dont want to see Nexus 6 annnounced or Nexus 5 price drop announced next week.

JoeFu

Banned
I'm going to adjust my predictions about I/O and the next version of Android. The iconography won't be really circle and more "flat" but will be cleaner like the new icons like Gmail. Other predictions stay the same, I think.

And ART may actually be replacing Dalvik in the next Android version:
http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...finally-remove-dalvik-and-set-art-as-default/

hmmm some apps need to be updated for sure before this happens, gonna piss a lot of people off.

One major app that didn't work with ART and I'm not sure if they fixed it yet is Line, specifically the calling portion of the app. Can't place calls with it if you're running ART.

I think P&D didn't work on ART either. For the most part everything else works though.

Cipherr

It's good to wait for Google IO, but it's doubtful they'll announce a Nexus 6 next week. Earliest that will drop is October just like the last couple of years.

He is curious about a N5 price drop also. They dropped the GNex price at an I/O. And even then, its just not worth the risk. May as well wait and make sure heh.

HawkeyeIC

hmmm some apps need to be updated for sure before this happens, gonna piss a lot of people off.

One major app that didn't work with ART and I'm not sure if they fixed it yet is Line, specifically the calling portion of the app. Can't place calls with it if you're running ART.

I think P&D didn't work on ART either. For the most part everything else works though.

Not sure why Google doesn't do the beta route like Apple with their OS updates. Especially if we are going to see a new runtime and design language.

this_guy

What area are you in? I think in 1-2 months you're better off with a Triband (Spark phone) for the next 2 years than getting a non triband phone. You might be able to disable the LTE band that's causing the issue and once your area has been properly upgraded you can re-enable the band. Check out the forums at s4gru.com and search for efcsb issues.

I'm going to adjust my predictions about I/O and the next version of Android. The iconography won't be really circle and more "flat" but will be cleaner like the new icons like Gmail. Other predictions stay the same, I think.

And ART may actually be replacing Dalvik in the next Android version:
http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...finally-remove-dalvik-and-set-art-as-default/

I still get better performance in benchmarks in dalvik compared to ART, but I don't have a problem switching to ART as long as Xposed gets updated. The features of Xposed are too good to pass up. I hope we get some big changes in the next Android version. I'm getting bored on 4.4.x

Groof

I still get better performance in benchmarks in dalvik compared to ART, but I don't have a problem switching to ART as long as Xposed gets updated. The features of Xposed are too good to pass up. I hope we get some big changes in the next Android version. I'm getting bored on 4.4.x
Xposed works on art. I've been running art on both my Nexus 4 and 7 from day one and have had no issues installing and running xposed.

Xposed works on art. I've been running art on both my Nexus 4 and 7 from day one and have had no issues installing and running xposed.

No it doesn't. You might want to check in your developer options. I bet it still says dalvik, because the app isn't compatible with ART.

Cudder

Did 4.4.3 change the default system scrolling speed? Scrolling in every single app is way slower since the update, it's very iOS-like now. Nexus 5 btw.

zulux21

so you guys seem like you would know... What is a good tv remote app for using IR to control a non smart TV? I currently have some sort of samsung app installed, but it's layout doesn't work well with my note 10.1 2014 and in general it's missing basic features I would want such as an input button.

jokkir

so you guys seem like you would know... What is a good tv remote app for using IR to control a non smart TV? I currently have some sort of samsung app installed, but it's layout doesn't work well with my note 10.1 2014 and in general it's missing basic features I would want such as an input button.

I think Unified Remote does that. Someone needs to confirm though

Daria

So, I'm on VZW and I just learned about that EDGE program. I didn't know much about it, still don't after looking on the website, just that I can change phones after a little while. Anyway, I'm not due for an upgrade until December. I can pay full price for a phone, or I'm eligible to upgrade via the EDGE program (valid until 6/30 I read?) for the 1-year contract.

Something about the line credits with upgrading the data to 10GB will give each line $25 credit. Big change for three lines. Now I just need to pick a phone.

The M8 looked great at the store, but seemed big and I like my Android in vanilla flavor. Decent enough for $30 a month?

Then the Moto X seemed to fit a little better in hand, as much as it could while tethered to the base. The customization looked colorful and something id like, but I didn't try out the phone itself much. How do this stack up?

I currently have an iPhone 5(cracked screen) which shouldn't matter because I'm keeping it, only switching to one of these phones until later in the year for the next iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom