• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Possible leaked Moto X+1 specs (from the same retailer that leaked the Moto E's specs)

Display: 5.2″ Full HD (1920×1080)
Operating System: Android 4.4.4 “KitKat”
Processor: 2.26GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800
Cameras: 12MP rear, 5MP front
RAM: 2GB
Connectivity: WiFi, 4G/3G/2G, Bluetooth, NFC
Storage: 32GB, micro SD support up to 128GB
Battery: 2,900mAh

Slightly disappointing, but it's basically a Nexus 5 with a slightly bigger screen, SD card slot, much bigger battery, and a (probably) better camera, so it's not bad at all. I don't know why they didn't go with the 801 at least instead of the 800, but that's Motorola. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will be somewhat cheap off contract.

If thats real Im not buying it. Will probably buy something else later this year. Im not buying a Snap 800 when the 801 has shown decent improvements and when the 805 was recently launched. To hell with that. If I have to Ill just buy a Google Play Edition HTC M9 early next year or just wait and buy the first Android Silver launch device.

-PXG-

Possible leaked Moto X+1 specs (from the same retailer that leaked the Moto E's specs)

Slightly disappointing, but it's basically a Nexus 5 with a slightly bigger screen, SD card slot, much bigger battery, and a (probably) better camera, so it's not bad at all. I don't know why they didn't go with the 801 at least instead of the 800, but that's Motorola. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will be somewhat cheap off contract.

Yeah. It's a Nexus 5 with a slightly better camera and micro SD support. Nothing to write home about. I never understood the hype for the original Moto X last year.

-PXG-

Hey, guys! I need your help with my next phone purchase, as I'm too dumb to do it myself!
My Galaxy S3 finally kicked the bucket, so I need a replacement ASAP.

I've got a $650 budget and require a phone that will work with AT&T, has rad specs, and some decent water resistance.
(The S5's water resistance levels seem good enough for me.)
I went to the AT&T store and checked out the S5 and it felt pretty nice, but if there's something better than that, I would like to know.
Thank you!

Do you care at all about doing any modifications? If so do not get the S5, especially if you're on AT&T. The bootloader is blocked. If not, go for it. That or the HTC One M8 or Sony Xperia Z2. Or, you could wait for the LG G3 though

Cipherr

Yeah. It's a Nexus 5 with a slightly better camera and micro SD support. Nothing to write home about. I never understood the hype for the original Moto X last year.

For me it was the nearly vanilla hardware, and I have a hard on for its ability to accept "Ok Google" commands even while sleep. I want that shit so bad. I set alarms 50 times a day while working from home, if I didnt have to wake my phone to do it when I stepped into my office that could be very useful.

Not worth buying a Snap 800 late 2014 though. To many options for vanilla Android now. There might be a new Nexus this fall, plus Android Silver is coming.. Way to easy to get a phone with the stock OS.

I wouldn't base the decision solely on that. How often will you be transferring enough data from/to a PC in one go that this will make a meaningful difference? I rarely ever do it these days. Not saying USB 3.0 isn't a nice thing to have, only that it would be quite low on my list of priorities for a phone.
I usually do transfer quite a bit of files through USB, so it is a useful feature to me.
But...
Do you care at all about doing any modifications? If so do not get the S5, especially if you're on AT&T. The bootloader is blocked. If not, go for it. That or the HTC One M8 or Sony Xperia Z2. Or, you could wait for the LG G3 though
I do enjoy sticking to the modding scene with my devices, so I might just use my Lumia 520 until I get to try out the LG G3 myself.

-PXG-

For me it was the nearly vanilla hardware, and I have a hard on for its ability to accept "Ok Google" commands even while sleep. I want that shit so bad. I set alarms 50 times a day while working from home, if I didnt have to wake my phone to do it when I stepped into my office that could be very useful.

Not worth buying a Snap 800 late 2014 though. To many options for vanilla Android now. There might be a new Nexus this fall, plus Android Silver is coming.. Way to easy to get a phone with the stock OS.

I just got a Nexus 5 but I'd be willing to jump on the 6 if it's anything close to the G3, assuming LG is even making it. I think Silver will be an expansion of the GPE product line, but sold in retail and through carriers instead of exclusively through Google. I hope that's what it is. If not I'll be really pissed.

I usually do transfer quite a bit of files through USB, so it is a useful feature to me.
But...

I do enjoy sticking to the modding scene with my devices, so I might just use my Lumia 520 until I get to try out the LG G3 myself.

Or wait for the Nexus 6.... ;)

zbeeb

Snapdragon 800 would be very disappointing... Not because of the performance, but because of the significant battery improvements we've seen in the 801 chip.

The rest I'm pretty happy with, if they can keep it to a small profile despite the screen size I'll be impressed.

Fatalah

This is funny, the Moto X received the same backlash last year because of dated specs.

It's taken 10 months for the general Android community to wholeheartedly recommend (and love) the phone.

Just re-read last year's interview with Moto X's top engineer, and remind yourself of Motorola's direction.

To really understand why we made these design choices, you have to understand our philosophy. With the Moto X, we are redefining how mobile devices operate. Our belief is that the future of mobile devices is about smart computing . It's not just about doing calculations anymore, but developing devices that make intelligent decisions. And that requires fundamental changes in the architecture of the devices.

If you think about it, the market has been relatively stagnant. Everything is built on these standard chips and displays. And we are all trained to respond to those small incremental changes in these components. But Motorola's vision is to really change how smartphones work. The small computers we carry around in our pockets aren't really "smart." I mean, what can you do with the Samsung Galaxy S4 that you can't do with the Galaxy S3? The answer is nothing.

We aren't developing technology for technology's sake. But we are trying to make mobile computing more intelligent. And we want to change the way people interact with devices to make the devices fit better into people's lifestyles. And we want to do all this without sacrificing battery life.

kehs

Banned
Android heads cling on to tech specs ignorantly pretending the software stack can take advantage of the hardware.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Moto X camera was disappointing so other than the larger battery and SD slot I'm not seeing what is better than the N5 which launched last year let alone the One +1.

PS: I swear the main reason the Moto X picked up steam was the fact that it was a solid mostly stock Android device that actually worked on Verizon while being cheaperish.

iavi

I'd be tempted to jump from the N5 to the X+1 if the battery life and camera are on point. It'd be nice to be back in the OLED camp, and Motorola might as well still be Google, as stock as the roms on their phones are.

Side note: My N5 is about to make the jump to L. Downloading the flashable img now.

This hypetrain WON'T STOP

Um this android thread is getting weirder and weirder...

It's like this thread way over hype the Moto X in the begining... And we have the same people still trying to hold on to the fake hype. Outside this thread I have yet to see any one in real life who has a Moto x and I live in the bay area which is the tech capital of the word.... On the android side I mostly see samsung galaxy/notes, HTC m7/M8 and nexus...

No other website/forum speak so highly of the Moto x than this site...

NotBacon

ITT: People who think specs are the only thing that make a phone.

Also ITT: People who have never used a Moto X, bashing the Moto X.

Also also ITT: People who have no idea how fucking good the X+1 is going to be.

Also with how much shit Samesung crams down peoples throats, of course wild Moto Xs are rare.

Also also, an updated Moto X with an amazing camera and 2900mah battery (and L) is fucking mouthwatering.

reKon

Banned
More spec bashing for a phone that will be probably perform as well as a flagship, is well designed and is well priced.... yawn . Btw, doesn't the G2 get better battery performance than the G3?

More spec bashing for a phone that will be probably perform as well as a flagship, is well designed and is well priced.... yawn . Btw, doesn't the G2 get better battery performance than the G3?

Who's spec bashing? The thing is the same people keep fake hyping the moto x ...and no one is really caring...

ITT: People who think specs are the only thing that make a phone.

Also ITT: People who have never used a Moto X, bashing the Moto X.

Also also ITT: People who have no idea how fucking good the X+1 is going to be.

Also with how much shit Samesung crams down peoples throats, of course wild Moto Xs are rare.

Also also, an updated Moto X with an amazing camera and 2900mah battery (and L) is fucking mouthwatering.

hyperbole much? So obviously you know how good the x+1 is right? Right??

Pcxt legacy lives on...

iavi

The Moto X did end up really being a good phone, despite its specs. It wasn't the #gamechanger it was hailed as, though. In any sense.

I do think the X+1 deserves a bit of a hype-wagon, that said. Moto's shown a better forward sense than almost all the manufacturers.

Furyous

If they add Moto Maker then this might become my first Android smartphone. I need a confirmation from the verge, Anandtech, Marquees, Erica Griffin, and Engadget before making a purchasing decision.

I hope they release a GPE version of the X+1. I hope they include the option to switch between hardware and software buttons.

Groof

The Moto X spectacle is going to repeat itself full force.

People will see the specs, laugh, hate, disregard.

Reviews will come out, they will love, praise, recommend.

People will ignore.

When it drops in price people will start picking it up and realise it's actually really, really good and will start claiming that specs aren't really everything that makes a phone.

2015 rinse and repeat.

terrier

Good thing it's 5.2" then?

I agree though - 4.7" is the sweet spot.

depends on the bezel imo. I mean Z1 vs nexus 5 or S4 all of them 5 inches, but z1 a bit too big.

As for Moto X specs.... well, they did some nice software features that are only useful for a bunch of languages afaik Gnow is basically for english right now, plus it came to euroland like 8-9 months too late, so yes, specs do matter a bit. Plus it wasn't that cheap.

For me the real gamechanger for Motorola was the G.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The Moto X is a legitimately amazing phone and the X+1 is looking to improve on it in almost every way, so I don't know what the fuck you're talking about...

What?

PCTX was an inane poster who praised the Moto X way back when (when it was called the X-Phone). Just saying, your post sounds exactly like his (not calling you inane though)

Fatalah

PCTX was an inane poster who praised the Moto X way back when (when it was called the X-Phone). Just saying, your post sounds exactly like his (not calling you inane though)

Pctx was very mysterious with his posts about the X-Phone, it became agitating. This year, we actually know what the Moto X line is all about. With the positive reception of the Moto X, it's only fair to have high expectations for the X+1. The hype isn't undeserved.

So, from the leaked specs sheet, the X+1 improves on the original. Bigger battery, expandable media, better camera. I'm not so sure about the 5.2" screen. Motorola wants to have Moto Maker in most markets on day 1, so this should be a more impactful launch than last year.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Pctx was very mysterious with his posts about the X-Phone, it became agitating. This year, we actually know what the Moto X line is all about. With the positive reception of the Moto X, it's only fair to have high expectations for the X+1. The hype isn't undeserved.

So, from the leaked specs sheet, the X+1 improves on the original. Bigger battery, expandable media, better camera. I'm not so sure about the 5.2" screen. Motorola wants to have Moto Maker in most markets on day 1, so this should be a more impactful launch than last year.

5.2" kills the phone IMO, the Moto X size is perfect.

yyzjohn

Banned
Exciting to see all these new processors/specs coming along, but I'm quite happy with my Nexus 5 right now. Tested Android L on it, it was still fast and smooth so I can't see myself upgrading my phone until my carrier contract is done in one year. This phone should be snappy for awhile.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Exciting to see all these new processors/specs coming along, but I'm quite happy with my Nexus 5 right now. Tested Android L on it, it was still fast and smooth so I can't see myself upgrading my phone until my carrier contract is done in one year. This phone should be snappy for awhile.

Yeah. They said they started implementing the new animations and stuff in L on the shittiest phones they had, to make sure everything runs well even on low-end phones (up to a certain point, of course). Which is something they started working toward with KK, which brought the RAM requirement down to 512MB from the 1GB it had been since ICS. The goal being that even cheap low-spec phones can be released with the latest version of Android rather than being stuck on 2.x (this has been a large factor in version fragmentation). So yes, the N5 (which is still a rather high-end device - only the newest flagships have it beat) should be fine for the foreseeable future.

-PXG-

My new setup

cVrqswA.jpg

TePIbew.jpg

OnQUHlZ.jpg

FJtUKMe.jpg

p3vkzRN.jpg

This is funny, the Moto X received the same backlash last year because of dated specs.

It's taken 10 months for the general Android community to wholeheartedly recommend (and love) the phone.

Just re-read last year's interview with Moto X's top engineer, and remind yourself of Motorola's direction.
the moto x did take heat for outdated specs but people were impressed by the design. These rumours sound....bad. 5.2 inch screen? You're gonna go from one of the most well designed phones in terms of screen size/dimensions and make it into another big phone? Just laaaaaame. Specs are fine.

pronk420

the moto x has extra cores for stuff beyond the main cpu, which may be why it feels faster than it should, and gets very good battery.

i imagine the moto x+1 has something similar that isn't listed in those specs that runs alongside the snapdragon.

having had a moto x for a while, i wouldn't swap it for a new samsung or htc, because i don't care about the stupid gimmicks samsung add, i care about things that actually make the phone nicer to use. also the moto x doesnt have the touchwiz disadvantage to make up for in it's specs

the moto x did take heat for outdated specs but people were impressed by the design. These rumours sound....bad. 5.2 inch screen? You're gonna go from one of the most well designed phones in terms of screen size/dimensions and make it into another big phone? Just laaaaaame. Specs are fine.

maybe they want to make a phone for consumers instead of reviewers?

Wasn't the moto X a popular device? Chasing that premium smartphone money has proven time and time again to be a mistake by a lot of manufacturers. Sometimes when you have a good thing going you should keep it. Moto X has a good niche, it's good in terms of price and value. It has a chance precisely BECAUSE it's different from the galaxy/one/lg/etc... but to just make another one of them to add to the pile.

I just don't see it helping them. It will just become less popular than the moto x was and more people will get the moto G instead.

Talon

Wasn't the moto X a popular device? Chasing that premium smartphone money has proven time and time again to be a mistake by a lot of manufacturers. Sometimes when you have a good thing going you should keep it. Moto X has a good niche, it's good in terms of price and value. It has a chance precisely BECAUSE it's different from the galaxy/one/lg/etc... but to just make another one of them to add to the pile.

I just don't see it helping them. It will just become less popular than the moto x was and more people will get the moto G instead.
It sold pretty poorly. Last we got numbers it was less than a million, and they've been pulling flash sales out every month or so.

Even after that touted half billion dollar ad campaign.

Toki767

I don't see anything wrong with the rumored X+1 specs. It's pretty much identical to the G2 which still holds up great.

Drifters

The Moto X is still one of the best phones to buy what... a year later? My wife is averaging almost 4 1/2 hrs of screen time on her phone, lasts the whole day, active notifications... I wish other flag ships were as good as it was.

iavi

I don't see anything wrong with the rumored X+1 specs. It's pretty much identical to the G2 which still holds up great.

It's more a testament to the serious stagnation of mobile, than it is a mark against the X+1, imo. The Snapdragon 800 still destroys everything thrown at it.

thespot84

consumers like me and a number of my friends? The simple fact is the general population is comprised of monkeys that will by whatever they're told, and when a company like samsung spends more marketing dollars than any other company on earth they get a lot more chances to drown out the competition. Sales /= quality

The Moto X came out at a premium price, same as the other big flagships.

It was competing with the S4, M7 and G2...and there is no way the Moto x has an advantage over those device. Even review site didn't make it the must have smartphone device, it was a good device, not the oh so great and beloved device like what most people here try to make it to be.

And yes, one of the reason it picked up steam was that they kept reducing the price rapidly..

AndyD

aka andydumi
It's more a testament to the serious stagnation of mobile, than it is a mark against the X+1, imo. The Snapdragon 800 still destroys everything thrown at it.

Stagnation of some specs may be a good thing though. Hopefully we will now see advances in other areas somewhat neglected before like battery, audio quality and materials.

Fatalah

Stagnation of some specs may be a good thing though. Hopefully we will now see advances in other areas somewhat neglected before like battery, audio quality and materials.

Again, if we look to the original Moto X, Motorola made major changes to an older chipset because their engineers had time to tinker with it. This is a major advantage gained when using mature components, along with having a lower cost.

July 2013 said:
"We've done additional optimizations on top of that such as optimizing the entire Linux user space to move it to an ARM instruction set, cache optimization, Dalvik just-in-time optimization, and we've changed the file system," Arshad said. "It's full hardware-software integration to deliver best-in-class performance."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom