• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doopliss

Are you so sure about that?

Well, I'm mainly speaking subjectively. I've tried ART maybe six times between my N5 and HP Touchpad and not noticed a difference. Smooth apps tend to run well, others get to chugging, regardless of the VM. In the eight months since it came out I've not seen anyone present solid evidence of a disparity, so I'm quite skeptical, bearing in mind that Android tinkerers are prone to going wild for a bit of placebo (build.prop tweaks, anyone?)

sarcastor

sweet my Moto G is all of a sudden sluggish randomly and there's no sound playing - games, music, youtube, apps, etc - I can't hear shit, even with earphones.

stupid motorola phone %!@%!#@!$

Groof

Try to say ART doesn't make a difference after you've tried it on something like even the Nexus 4. There's such a gigantic difference in smoothness and responsiveness it's like using a different device.

Try to say ART doesn't make a difference after you've tried it on something like even the Nexus 4. There's such a gigantic difference in smoothness and responsiveness it's like using a different device.

I just bit the bullet and switched on my very, very laggy N4 and the difference is noticeably better. I'll see if it keeps up but since switching, I've been very impressed.

terrier

Commander Jameson said:
I just bit the bullet and switched on my very, very laggy N4 and the difference is noticeably better. I'll see if it keeps up but since switching, I've been very impressed.

i can feel the difference on my n5 too. Not much since the phone is really snappy and fast, but that ocasional stutter almost doesn't happen with ART. Now that i have been messing with xposed, so dalvik here, i can feel it. I think it is easier to notice when going back than when going foward :p
It is obvious that the less powerful hw, the more art will make a difference. Can't wait to see it perform on my Note8 and its 'old' A9 quad core

I want a red Nexus 5 now.
But I should wait to see if there's a Nexus 5 2014.
But even if there will be one, it won't be available in red, I bet.
And red is awesome.

Decisions, decisions.

Still feel burned by for Google cutting off the Galaxy Nexus so early

Groof

It makes using an N4 for the foreseeable future a much, much more viable option. Though for me its battery life is holding it back, for others ART is exactly what it needs for at least one more year of usage.

It makes using an N4 for the foreseeable future a much, much more viable option. Though for me its battery life is holding it back, for others ART is exactly what it needs for at least one more year of usage.

A morning of use and the speed is still way better. Battery life is OK for me because I'm on the charger at work. Storage space is the big killer for me. But switching to Art has definitely made the phone easier to use until I get a G3 or OnePlus One.

linkboy

If any Nexus 4 owners want to try it, the Android L developer preview has been ported over to the Nexus 4.

Android L Nexus 4

Keep in mind it's still beta (in more ways than one).

I'm going to mess around with it, but probably go back to 4.4.4 after a while. It is super fast on my Nexus 4, which is going to make it hard to go back.

Well, AndroidGAF, I just found out that the Nexus 5 got worse battery life than the Lumia 920. According to GSM Arena at least.

How the hell is that possible? I mean, I knew that the N5 doesn't have the greatest battery life, but not even 5 hours of web browsing, which is only to get worse as time passes? Ugh.

"But things start to go downhill from there. The web browsing test put the Nexus 5 well behind the curve with 4:46 hours of constant browsing. That’s not really impressive, putting many contemporary smartphones in front of the Google pureblood by a mile."

That's pretty much the only thing I do on a phone.
http://blog.gsmarena.com/nexus-5-grinds-through-our-battery-test-routine/

This is bonkers.

Doopliss

If any Nexus 4 owners want to try it, the Android L developer preview has been ported over to the Nexus 4.

Android L Nexus 4

Keep in mind it's still beta (in more ways than one).

I'm going to mess around with it, but probably go back to 4.4.4 after a while. It is super fast on my Nexus 4, which is going to make it hard to go back.

Can't tell whether the sick burn was intentional or not.

A nexus phone with bad battery life?

Shocking.

There is "bad battery life" and then there is "worse battery life than the Lumia 920, one year after its release". I didn't expect it to last 24 hours, but a work day of 12 hours would've been nice.

Jigolo

Well, AndroidGAF, I just found out that the Nexus 5 got worse battery life than the Lumia 920. According to GSM Arena at least.

How the hell is that possible? I mean, I knew that the N5 doesn't have the greatest battery life, but not even 5 hours of web browsing, which is only to get worse as time passes? Ugh.

"But things start to go downhill from there. The web browsing test put the Nexus 5 well behind the curve with 4:46 hours of constant browsing. That’s not really impressive, putting many contemporary smartphones in front of the Google pureblood by a mile."

That's pretty much the only thing I do on a phone.
http://blog.gsmarena.com/nexus-5-grinds-through-our-battery-test-routine/

This is bonkers.
Blame Chrome.

If you want to browse for longer use Dolphin. Browsing the web is the thing I do most too.

kehs

Banned
There is "bad battery life" and then there is "worse battery life than the Lumia 920, one year after its release". I didn't expect it to last 24 hours, but a work day of 12 hours would've been nice.

Hour less of web browsing on a bigger higher res screen with double the talk time.

That's worse?

Hour less of web browsing on a bigger higher res screen with double the talk time.

That's worse?

If I get to browse less on the device, then yes, of course. And 16 hours talk time is great, but I don't think I could get close to that in a whole week. I still think it's going to be my next phone, but it's honestly disappointing. I do hope that Dolphin can make it better.

Arc

I can totally deal with the $199 upgrade price. Are we sure this is the 32GB/3GB model?

I'd like to wait it out on the OnePlus One...but my Galaxy SIII is hurting badly from that horrible 4.3 upgrade.

I can totally deal with the $199 upgrade price. Are we sure this is the 32GB/3GB model?

I'd like to wait it out on the OnePlus One...but my Galaxy SIII is hurting badly from that horrible 4.3 upgrade.

I skipped 4.3 on my Note II, still on 4.1.2 and I couldn't be happier. Official 4.4.2 is out now though I haven't had time to install it yet.

this_guy

When the Nexus 5 was first released I bought one and was coming off of the Nokia 925. Returned the Nexus 5 because battery life and camera were a downgrade.

After the Nokia 925 I switched to an iPhone 5s, and now I'm using an LG G2.

Soodanim

I just got my Nexus 7 today. Love it so far. I love the size (I'm glad I didn't wait for the 8.9), love the screen, and I adore the little UI changes. And it makes using my N4 (and to keep it topical, I switched to ART too).

But I want a case and a screen protector for it to keep it beautiful. Are there any stand-out decent cases?

XBP

Not sure what screen problems you're talking about. Overheating I'm fairly sure happens with every phone depending on how much you do on it.

Overheating seems to be more of a concern with the G3 compared to other recently released flagships which mostly overheat during 4k recording.

jokkir

nLXKcYi.jpg

NotBacon

Not sure what screen problems you're talking about. Overheating I'm fairly sure happens with every phone depending on how much you do on it.

I guess not actual screen problems, but just problems caused by the ridiculous screen such as less than stellar battery life and UI lag.

Any news if there will be a G3 prime that has a 805 instead of 801?

It would be stupid if they didn't, considering the reports of overheating and the fact that the 805 is much better at handling more pixels.

Schrade

I just got my Nexus 7 today. Love it so far. I love the size (I'm glad I didn't wait for the 8.9), love the screen, and I adore the little UI changes. And it makes using my N4 (and to keep it topical, I switched to ART too).

But I want a case and a screen protector for it to keep it beautiful. Are there any stand-out decent cases?

I don't use a screen protector with mine.

I just use the Moko Ultra Slim case:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKA1IYU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

There's also the Poetic Slimline which is pretty much exactly the same:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E5NOXM4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Moko case works great for me and since the Poetic Slimline is exactly the same, you can't go wrong with either one.

I just want to warn you though, be CAREFUL about the camera glass on the rear of the tablet. It's very delicate! I somehow got a scratch there before I got my case but thankfully it wasn't over the lens, just on the outer part of the lens glass. Don't set it down on a surface with any sort of abrasive (crumb, sand, dirt, etc) that could scratch your camera lens! Always set it down on a soft cloth at least until you get your case.

Mindwipe

If you want a day to day case get a Poetic.

But personally I just like having a sleeve for bag storage and to use it naked and as thin as intended otherwise. You can find sleeves for a few bucks on Amazon.

Husker86

So, 2-factor authentication. Why does Google still require me to enter my password (when setting up Android device fresh), tell me they couldn't sign me in and have to redirect me to web-login, have me enter my password again and THEN let me enter my Google Authenticator code?

Why the hell doesn't a nice little box pop up and let me enter my code during the normal sign-in process? Get your shit together Google.

This is just the L-preview, but I have little faith that it's going to be changed in release since it has been this way for a long time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So, 2-factor authentication. Why does Google still require me to enter my password (when setting up Android device fresh), tell me they couldn't sign me in and have to redirect me to web-login, have me enter my password again and THEN let me enter my Google Authenticator code?

Why the hell doesn't a nice little box pop up and let me enter my code during the normal sign-in process? Get your shit together Google.

This is just the L-preview, but I have little faith that it's going to be changed in release since it has been this way for a long time.

Yeah, the initial sign-in isn't exactly smooth and graceful when using Google Authenticator. Thankfully you only have to go through that mess once every fresh install/reset.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

It's absolutely terrible. You also can't access sms the first go around. Therefore, I can't get my 2 step code. So I have to not sign in and then add your account. This approach means my phone won't restore itself. Ugh.

kehs

Banned

The log in page for device setup isn't a proper web view required for authentication.

I made it a habit of setting up a specific application password for when I set up new devices.

Husker86

It's absolutely terrible. You also can't access sms the first go around. Therefore, I can't get my 2 step code. So I have to not sign in and then add your account. This approach means my phone won't restore itself. Ugh.

That's why I have Google Authenticator on multiple devices; pain in the ass otherwise.

The log in page for device setup isn't a proper web view required for authentication.

Well, why the hell not?? You know if Apple had 2-step that a nice animated window would pop up and request your code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom