• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question! Getting a new phone one of these days. Can't decide between the S5 and Z2.
I got an S3 right now, had the S2 and S1 before that, so i'm leaning towards the Z2 cause i'd like to try something that isn't Samsung.

I want a good camera in my phone, and water/dust proof is definitely something i want.

What does GAF say? Or should i go for something completely different?
get the GS5.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Wait, I haven't been paying attention. Is L at a state on the N5 that it's appropriate for a daily driver? I've not bothered to root, but getting an early look at L might force my hand (though I'm sure going into a bunch of apps that don't use the new design language will be annoying).

Yeah, it's daily driver ready.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
For the same reason this whole thread is boring.

Google created hangouts. I finally pulled the trigger last year and created an Android GAF hangout. All the cool kids were invited, and now we all talk in there.

So nobody fucking posts in here now. LoL

PS: Congrats to PXG and Nicktendo for joining our ranks. May they have hot sisters in the name of MTurco!

goddamit I didn't get an invitation

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Quick question! Getting a new phone one of these days. Can't decide between the S5 and Z2.
I got an S3 right now, had the S2 and S1 before that, so i'm leaning towards the Z2 cause i'd like to try something that isn't Samsung.

I want a good camera in my phone, and water/dust proof is definitely something i want.

What does GAF say? Or should i go for something completely different?

Definitely the Z2, if only to avoid Samsung's awful software/skin. Their hardware is also ugly and feels cheap, IMO.

Wait, I haven't been paying attention. Is L at a state on the N5 that it's appropriate for a daily driver? I've not bothered to root, but getting an early look at L might force my hand (though I'm sure going into a bunch of apps that don't use the new design language will be annoying).

There are some bugs, but nothing really major (except for MMS not working well, in case that's important for you). Some apps don't work, but the vast majority do. I've been using it as my daily driver for a week now, and it's great. Very stable, and I can deal with the small bugs that are present.

You don't need root to flash an image onto a Nexus. What you do need to do is to unlock your bootloader, which will wipe your phone. But that's something you need to do when flashing this version anyway, you absolutely do not want to dirty flash it (flashing while keeping your data), people who have done that have reported all sorts of issues.

FrsDvl

Definitely the Z2, if only to avoid Samsung's awful software/skin. Their hardware is also ugly and feels cheap, IMO.

Yeah while playing with both phones for a few minutes I have to say I do love the fact that the Z2 isn't made out of plastic. S5 feels almost like I'm still using the same phone, software wise and cheap plastic wise.

I'm quite set on the Z2, but would go with the S5 if the phone itself would be more stable, had better battery life and all the obvious stuff.

PriitV

The worst is when people get invited, talk for two days, then leave completely/forget about it.

I have an excuse for why I talked for a few weeks and left. There's no viable option for me to have hangouts open on PC (the extension is bull and having G+ tab open is not a solution for me) nor does it have chatheads on android. Love me some chatheads.

yyzjohn

Banned
Oh I also got tired of waiting for a new L build and flashed again. All is well so far.

Question, anyone using Cerebus on Android L and any issues?

yyzjohn

Banned
I cannot believe that this actually worked. Google must be trolling us :).

It seems like it might not work for all languages according to some of the posts, but it definitely works for English.

Yeah i think only U.S. English, tried for Canada but the options were disabled.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I cannot believe that this actually worked. Google must be trolling us :).

It seems like it might not work for all languages according to some of the posts, but it definitely works for English.

I wish anything related to voice worked in Swedish. You can do a regular Google search by voice, but that's it. No intelligent answers to questions, no voice actions, no "Ok Google", no nothing. Sigh.

It's a mailing list.

Isn't it a Hangout? That's not a mailing list, but a group chat. (I'm not in it.)

I wish anything related to voice worked in Swedish. You can do a regular Google search by voice, but that's it. No intelligent answers to questions, no voice actions, no "Ok Google", no nothing. Sigh.

Isn't it a Hangout? That's not a mailing list, but a group chat. (I'm not in it.)

I doubt you could call it a hangout. It's a place where people go to express their mutual passive aggressive hatred of each other and circlejerk about how bad Touchwiz is. Look through this thread and notice all the posters you feel should be banned and/or blocked. They're all in that hangout. It's so cliquey it's unreal.

yyzjohn

Banned
So it's happening again. After a couple of hours on Android L, my Nexus 5 now reboots every 10 seconds or so. I booted into Safe Mode as suggested on here, and it's running fine in that mode. I have no idea what app is causing this. Everything was working and I didn't install anything at all before the reboots started to happen.

Edit: I'm now removing root access to see if that has anything to do with it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So it's happening again. After a couple of hours on Android L, my Nexus 5 now reboots every 10 seconds or so. I booted into Safe Mode as suggested on here, and it's running fine in that mode. I have no idea what app is causing this. Everything was working and I didn't install anything at all before the reboots started to happen.

Edit: I'm now removing root access to see if that has anything to do with it.

Strange. I clean wiped 100% and have no issues. Bad luck :(

MarkusRJR

Legit why does every Canadian carrier but mine (Telus) get the G3? So annoying. :(

I mean even the smaller regional carriers get it...

terrier

Pretty sure you can install any launcher you want on any Android phone, including Samsung ones...? That doesn't remove TW from anywhere else in the OS though, which might be what you mean. And yes, it would be nice if other stuff could be customized as easily as the launcher.

Yes and no. As long it is in google play or a normal apk, like nova or dodol launcher no problem , but some oem launchers do have something else running in the background , that is why you can't run their apps and widgets easily on other launchers and phones from oher manufacturers.
That same thing running on the background doesn't always stop running even if you install a different launcher, so it eats resources, especially if we are talking samsung. So you have like on my note 8, TW running with all those samsung services and apps and the launcher.
Google has done the right steps with android wear tv and auto afaik, not allowing oem personalisation. We will see how it develops.

Toki767

Hmm..."OK Google" works even when the screen is off...except it doesn't enter the command until you turn the screen on again. It does record what you say though.

yyzjohn

Banned
You're right. Just tried it now That's really odd :/

Not really, probably uses more power to keep that feature always listening, so it makes sense to only have it active while charging. The use case I can see is in a car while driving,. I usually have my phone plugged in and charging in the car, so this will be handy.

Edit: Also an update for those who were following my Android "L" reboot issue. The problem was indeed LightFlow. After uninstalling LightFlow last night, I haven't had any reboot issues. Phone is working as normal, and battery life is great. Went to bed last night at 100%, woke up 9 hours later to 96%. Battery sipping while doing nothing. :)

thenexus6

I asked this question before but had no answers.

At night I put my brightness all the way down (not on auto) so I can see it better. It randomly jumps back to what it was before (just over half way). Some setting or app thats causing this?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I asked this question before but had no answers.

At night I put my brightness all the way down (not on auto) so I can see it better. It randomly jumps back to what it was before (just over half way). Some setting or app thats causing this?

I can only tell you that I don't have any such issues with my N5 running the L preview. I also have adaptive brightness (which auto brightness has been changed to) turned off, as I hate when the screen keeps going brighter and darker all the time, and my brightness stays at what I've set it to.

scently

Hi guys. Please I need some help.

I have a Nexus 5 but my phone has refused to update to 4.4.3. It will download and then restart to install. A little while into installing it stops and says "error". It then restarts. Sometime later I will get the alert to download the update again but the same thing happens every time. Any way to solve this?

Hi guys. Please I need some help.

I have a Nexus 5 but my phone has refused to update to 4.4.3. It will download and then restart to install. A little while into installing it stops and says "error". It then restarts. Sometime later I will get the alert to download the update again but the same thing happens every time. Any way to solve this?

Are you rooted or anything? I don't know how updates work with the N5, but my S4 had to be unrooted before I could update. I had the exact same problem where it would download, reboot into recovery, try to install the update, and fail because of an error.

yyzjohn

Banned
Are you rooted or anything? I don't know how updates work with the N5, but my S4 had to be unrooted before I could update. I had the exact same problem where it would download, reboot into recovery, try to install the update, and fail because of an error.

Rooting and updating on the Nexus 5 has no bearing. OTA updates should work even if you're rooted.

Desmond

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is the right thread.

I've just picked up a 32gb nexus 7(2012) for cheap, which was great.
However, I can't get it to connect to my laptop at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom