• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
All prices i can see are around that price. And getting it through tmobile means free financing which we don't need but seems obvious to take when available.
I'd rather get the G3 then.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah...for an extra $200. May as well. Longer support means it'll last longer. Plus you don't have to worry about the battery crapping out since you can replace it.

The non replaceable battery is definitely a concern. But this is for my wife not me so it doesn't have to be state of the art. She cares about the three things I mentioned, battery, camera and reliability.

She certainly doesn't care about 4k displays.

How much does a battery replacement usually cost when you have to have it done by someone else?

The non replaceable battery is definitely a concern. But this is for my wife not me so it doesn't have to be state of the art. She cares about the three things I mentioned, battery, camera and reliability.

She certainly doesn't care about 4k displays.

How much does a battery replacement usually cost when you have to have it done by someone else?

you can't do this yourself?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Has anyone else been getting a lot of blank pages in Chrome lately? They will just suddenly go white, and even the UI will disappear.

The two finger swipe should still be available IMHO. I'm hopeful they'll figure out a way to make them instantly accessible come release.

Yep, no reason not to still have it there as an option. It doesn't hurt anyone who doesn't want to use it or doesn't know about it.

Wait, so on my G3, you can set the "Default Messenger App" to something other than the stock text message app. So I set it to Hangouts. I then told the GV app to send my text messages to the default messenger app. It sends them to Hangouts. Voila, after someone texts me, I can reply via Hangouts with my GV number.

if you plan to use the quick circle case you have to switch back to stock messaging. (haven't even checked on the rooting community for this phone)

really want more quick circle apps lol

What's the best lightweight browser today?

Chrome is terrible on the Moto G, uses too much RAM and I get constant launcher redraws. I was used to having 2GB on the N4, having only 1 now really sucks.

I installed Boat Browser to see how it handles. Dolphin was an alternative but since the last redesign and the privacy issues I won't be using it anymore.

EDIT:

Is Talon still the best Twitter client?

Crisco

Banned
Seriously, this phone is great. I haven't felt this way about a phone since the iPhone 4, from the physical appearance on down. It's the first Android phone I've used where the hardware doesn't feel labored. The battery life is excellent, I'm at 8:45PM right now, having unplugged at 7:00AM, and am sitting at 57% battery life with only two short commutes of car charging. This is a brand new toy, so trust me, I'm using it a lot. Hell, just having it synced up to all the services I use and with WiFi/LTE/GPS on all day would almost fully drain my HTC One X throughout the day. I had to turn off everything but HSPA+ to get serviceable battery life. The OS customizations aren't perfect, but they feel like a consistent part of the Android experience and not some foreign intruder marking it's territory, which is about the best thing I can say about non-AOSP based OS's. Have all LG phones been this good? Why does everyone keep buying Samsung's junk?

Toki767

Seriously, this phone is great. I haven't felt this way about a phone since the iPhone 4, from the physical appearance on down. It's the first Android phone I've used where the hardware doesn't feel labored. The battery life is excellent, I'm at 8:45PM right now, having unplugged at 7:00AM, and am sitting at 57% battery life with only two short commutes of car charging. This is a brand new toy, so trust me, I'm using it a lot. Hell, just having it synced up to all the services I use and with WiFi/LTE/GPS on all day would almost fully drain my HTC One X throughout the day. I had to turn off everything but HSPA+ to get serviceable battery life. The OS customizations aren't perfect, but they feel like a consistent part of the Android experience and not some foreign intruder marking it's territory, which is about the best thing I can say about non-AOSP based OS's. Have all LG phones been this good? Why does everyone keep buying Samsung's junk?

LG phones have been good since the Optimus G. The problem is, the Optimus G didn't get firmware updates so everyone skipped out on the G2 which was the best phone last year. It actually had Kit Kat features before Kit Kat even came out. The G2 has also actually gotten fairly quick firmware updates this time around though so it feels like LG has been better about it. The G3 should be great for future support as well.

People buy Samsung because they managed to market themselves as being the Android equivalent of Apple. It's all about how your market your device and how people perceive it, which is what Samsung really succeeded in with their initial "The Next Big Thing" campaign with the S3.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I am not sure what I did, but I recently changed my wife and my data plan on tmobile from an old "Unlimited" plan that slowed at 2gb to a 5gb plan WITH tethering and it reduced our bill $23. So for 1000 minutes between the two of us, unlimited texts and 5gb data each, it costs us $87 a month. Of course, no subsidy or anything, but at that amount per. Onth I don't even care.

Anybody who has used the G2, is the back button complete crap placement wise? It seems like a terrible place to put that.

Toki767

I am not sure what I did, but I recently changed my wife and my data plan on tmobile from an old "Unlimited" plan that slowed at 2gb to a 5gb plan WITH tethering and it reduced our bill $23. So for 1000 minutes between the two of us, unlimited texts and 5gb data each, it costs us $87 a month. Of course, no subsidy or anything, but at that amount per. Onth I don't even care.

Anybody who has used the G2, is the back button complete crap placement wise? It seems like a terrible place to put that.

Well I think T-Mobile is more than happy to give you $23 off in exchange for getting you off an "Unlimited" data plan.

The back buttons on the G2 is placed where your index finger usually rests so it feels fairly natural.

Submarino Conversível;121187575 said:
What's the best lightweight browser today?

Chrome is terrible on the Moto G, uses too much RAM and I get constant launcher redraws. I was used to having 2GB on the N4, having only 1 now really sucks.

I installed Boat Browser to see how it handles. Dolphin was an alternative but since the last redesign and the privacy issues I won't be using it anymore.

EDIT:

Is Talon still the best Twitter client?

FireFox

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Well I think T-Mobile is more than happy to give you $23 off in exchange for getting you off an "Unlimited" data plan.

The back buttons on the G2 is placed where your index finger usually rests so it feels fairly natural.

It was less Unlimited than my new plan. I was getting knocked down to 2g after only 2gb of usage. Now I can use 5gb before getting dropped down to 2g. I gained 3gb of high speed data and got $23 taken off my bill.

And now it looks like if I order a phone from them I get another $6 a month off.

Gonna scoop the G3 here in a little bit. I wonder if they will have external batteries and chargers for sale. Prolly get one of those official Circle cases too.

CronoShot

G3 get!

The size of this thing is really impressive.

G3 (5.5") vs Nexus 5 (4.95")

C5R8E3A.jpg

G3 (5.5") vs OnePlus One (5.5")

WYI4JUe.jpg

And it's not like the bezels on the Nexus 5 or OnePlus One are crazy big or something. Both are pretty respectable. It's just the G3 is that small.

Now to be a Debbie Downer:

- My first impression of the QHD screen? It's pointless. I don't see any difference. Even comparing the OnePlus One (which has the same size screen but 1080p) I saw no difference. Even when smashing my face up against both of them. I'll have to test it some more though.

- LG also added a sharpening filter to the screen. All it does is add jaggies, and makes text look downright gross. Fix this LG!

- Even in the few minutes I was messing with it (just setting up my account, glancing through settings, updating the built in apps) it got really hot. I turned it off to let it cool down, and now I'm just letting it charge. Hopefully it was just a one time thing.

VoxPop

G3 get!

The size of this thing is really impressive.

G3 (5.5") vs Nexus 5 (4.95")

C5R8E3A.jpg

G3 (5.5") vs OnePlus One (5.5")

WYI4JUe.jpg

And it's not like the bezels on the Nexus 5 or OnePlus One are crazy big or something. Both are pretty respectable. It's just the G3 is that small.

Now to be a Debbie Downer:

- My first impression of the QHD screen? It's pointless. I don't see any difference. Even comparing the OnePlus One (which has the same size screen but 1080p) I saw no difference. Even when smashing my face up against both of them. I'll have to test it some more though.

- LG also added a sharpening filter to the screen. All it does is add jaggies, and makes text look downright gross. Fix this LG!

- Even in the few minutes I was messing with it (just setting up my account, glancing through settings, updating the built in apps) it got really hot. I turned it off to let it cool down, and now I'm just letting it charge. Hopefully it was just a one time thing.

Damn amazing how some obscure chinese company made a better looking phone than any Android manufacturer out there. Plastic to boot!

Still deciding between the M8 and G3. The longer I wait, the more I'm leaning toward the M8 as I'm realizing a decent camera for everyday situations will be enough for me (I already have a DSLR I use for hobby photography/work) and a removable battery is the only thing for sure that the G3 has over the M8. I feel like I can't really lose with either choice, but I've only gotten to go hands on with one of them (none of the Verizon stores around here have the G3 out on the sales floor, just the G2) and I liked the M8 so much more than the S5 I went hands-on with.

Can I really go wrong with either choice?

Toki767

Still deciding between the M8 and G3. The longer I wait, the more I'm leaning toward the M8 as I'm realizing a decent camera for everyday situations will be enough for me (I already have a DSLR I use for hobby photography/work) and a removable battery is the only thing for sure that the G3 has over the M8. I feel like I can't really lose with either choice, but I've only gotten to go hands on with one of them (none of the Verizon stores around here have the G3 out on the sales floor, just the G2) and I liked the M8 so much more than the S5 I went hands-on with.

Best Buys have the G3 demo units. You can also just go to an AT&T store and try theirs out. They're all the same.
Except for the Verizon logo lol.

Also I don't know anyone that would call the M8 camera decent.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's a shame no one else can.

The Nexus 5 looks really nice IMO. Sleek, clean, discrete. And it's really nice to hold too, with its soft-touch plastic on the back. But yeah, the G3 looks pretty damn bad. And those two are from the same manufacturer (although Google of course had a lot of design input on the N5).

VoxPop

The Nexus 5 looks really nice IMO. Sleek, clean, discrete. And it's really nice to hold too, with its soft-touch plastic on the back. But yeah, the G3 looks pretty damn bad. And those two are from the same manufacturer (although Google of course had a lot of design input on the N5).

Yeah the N5, Z2 and M7 are the only phones I think look great. And the One+ now. They've definitely gotten better over time. They just need to work on their software. Sense is headed in the right direction.

Joe

My friend is on Verizon and upgraded his Galaxy S3 to the latest firmware and now he says his phone is a hunk of junk/always crashing. Is this a common problem with an easy fix or is he screwed?

AndyD

aka andydumi
My friend is on Verizon and upgraded his Galaxy S3 to the latest firmware and now he says his phone is a hunk of junk/always crashing. Is this a common problem with an easy fix or is he screwed?

The S3 had one update to 4.3 that was janky and then a more recent update to 4.4.2 that was much better. My wife's S3 works much better on 4.4.2 with a factory reset than it did on 4.0 or whatever it came with. But it ran awful on the 4.3 update.

My understanding is no apps actually support or display in 1440p yet, so everything you are looking at is actually 1080p. That could be why you don't notice a difference.

CronoShot

My understanding is no apps actually support or display in 1440p yet, so everything you are looking at is actually 1080p. That could be why you don't notice a difference.

Even just in the UI. Text. LG's icons. Nothing looks different (aside from LG's sharpening filter).

The preloaded QHD videos they put on there look great, but they would look great on a 1080p screen too.

I just don't see the benefit yet. Not sure if I ever will.

All that said, I'm really loving the G3. It does tend to heat up a bit too often, but I'm really liking some of the software features. It's kind of like TouchWiz in that there's a lot of features, but isn't overwhelmingly ugly like the 'wiz.

speaking of QHD and preloaded videos.

i had a few minutes of hands on with the Galaxy Tab S 8.4

sweet mother of god that screen when watching those preloaded videos

Picked up my G3 earlier today. Mother of god it's good. I'm hoping the battery gets broken in and get better like my G2. Right now it's just slightly above average. Love the lack of bloat. A few necessary T-Mo apps and a handful of LG apps and that's it. Some of the LG apps are uninstallable too! The LG skin is even more customizable than the G2 and barely noticeable. Gonna play with it more and post more impressions later.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Picked up my G3 earlier today. Mother of god it's good. I'm hoping the battery gets broken in and get better like my G2. Right now it's just slightly above average. Love the lack of bloat. A few necessary T-Mo apps and a handful of LG apps and that's it. Some of the LG apps are uninstallable too! The LG skin is even more customizable than the G2 and barely noticeable. Gonna play with it more and post more impressions later.

What made you upgrade?

What made you upgrade?

Feeling of having a new phone lol. Nothing major really. I lvoe the G2. Easily my top 3 smartphone I've ever used. I like the subtle improvements as well as being future proof. This is also the first phone I've picked up as soon as it came out since the Droid Charge (worst phone I've ever owned). The SD card is nice. The 32GB on the G2 restriction was too little for me. Updated hardware is always nice.

I mean I could have easily just used my G2 another year, but I wanted to get a new phone.

slightly above average on your first day? gonna be stellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom