• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
LG was dumb, it killed its battery life while on screen just to put a higher number in the spec sheet for no real gain.

And that battery life is the main negative of their phone!

LG was dumb, it killed its battery life while on screen just to put a higher number in the spec sheet for no real gain.

I know right it should've been qHD with a 4000 mah battery 1gb RAM and 1.2ghz dual core processor. Shit's gonna last a week for sure!

Toki767

I don't know how people are saying that LG killed the battery life on the G3 with a 1440p screen...you still get a minimum 4 hours+ screen on time. That doesn't sound like they killed anything.

MarkusRJR

I don't know how people are saying that LG killed the battery life on the G3 with a 1440p screen...you still get a minimum 4 hours+ screen on time. That doesn't sound like they killed anything.
When compared with the G2, it's a major downgrade, especially considering how negligible the difference is from 1080p to QHD on a 5.5" display.

If the screen really becomes an issue, you can just root it and change the resolution. I will stick with the default for now and see how it all turns out.

Best Twitter client for Android?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If the screen really becomes an issue, you can just root it and change the resolution. I will stick with the default for now and see how it all turns out.

Best Twitter client for Android?
Talon. Falcon is old news.

Toki767

When compared with the G2, it's a major downgrade, especially considering how negligible the difference is from 1080p to QHD on a 5.5" display.

Except the battery life isn't that much less than the G2. My G2 after almost a year of heavy use struggles to get 4 hours of screen on time now. I wish replacing the battery was as simple as doing it on the G3.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Even just in the UI. Text. LG's icons. Nothing looks different (aside from LG's sharpening filter).

The preloaded QHD videos they put on there look great, but they would look great on a 1080p screen too.

I just don't see the benefit yet. Not sure if I ever will.

Yeah, I mean, I can't see individual pixels on my N5. Even if I try to get as close as possible I can only maybe sort of make out a slight hint that the shapes on the display are indeed made out of pixels. At normal viewing distance there's just no way. At 5" you simply don't need more than 1080p, we've reached the optimal resolution IMO. The G3 display is a bit larger, but its resolution really seems like overkill to me at phone sizes, and probably not worth the additional GPU power it requires (and with that, additional battery drainage).

MarkusRJR

Except the battery life isn't that much less than the G2. My G2 after almost a year of heavy use struggles to get 4 hours of screen on time now. I wish replacing the battery was as simple as doing it on the G3.
That's not really a fair comparison. Comparing a year old battery G2 versus a brand new G3 doesn't really make sense. The G2 has 7+ hours of on screen time on a non-worn battery. To go from that to a 4ish hours of on screen time on a brand new G3 is a major downgrade.

In regards to 1080p vs QHD, the G3 could have had 1080p and still have a replaceable battery. The fact that your G2 battery has gotten worse over time is more against sealed batteries (which is one of my most hated design choices) than anything else. Assuming the G3 stuck with it's current design but had a 1080p display it would offer way better battery life with no legitimate negatives. Honestly annoyed LG went with QHD for no reason beyond "better specs" on paper.

Sorry, that kind of rambled off from a reply to more of a rant on LG.

XBP

Awesome to see some people from here getting a G3. Can you guys comment on whether the device gets hot after some use?

Cipherr

I have to agree here. The screen is sharper, but not by enough to offset the battery life loss. They went from the best smartphone batter in the G2 to being behind the others with the G3. Really bad decision because all the overheating issues and whatnot could have been sidestepped, and the G3 would have been a monster.

Joe

The S3 had one update to 4.3 that was janky and then a more recent update to 4.4.2 that was much better. My wife's S3 works much better on 4.4.2 with a factory reset than it did on 4.0 or whatever it came with. But it ran awful on the 4.3 update.

thank you for the info :)

Milly79

Has anyone had an issue with Play Music skipped/crackling during songs? I just noticed it the other day. It was fine for a while and it just started happening. It seems to be a known issue, but I really didn't see a fix for it.

Xperia Z1S/4.3 if that helps any.

MarkusRJR

Has anyone had an issue with Play Music skipped/crackling during songs? I just noticed it the other day. It was fine for a while and it just started happening. It seems to be a known issue, but I really didn't see a fix for it.

Xperia Z1S/4.3 if that helps any.
I don't notice it during a song, but definitely when I skip a song or when a song ends there's definitely like a half a second of crackling. Doesn't happen all of the time but sometimes it's really loud and annoying.

LG G3 Beat news popped up in my feed today. Never heard of it before. Announcement due today I think. Mini G3. 5" screen. 1280 resolution. Was going for a G3 but might hold off for a little while to see the reviews of this.

Milly79

I don't notice it during a song, but definitely when I skip a song or when a song ends there's definitely like a half a second of crackling. Doesn't happen all of the time but sometimes it's really loud and annoying.

I guess I should have mentioned it's local files only. People said they were experiencing it with streaming as well and in other apps, but it doesn't do it with Spotify. Doesn't seem to be doing it with Walkman either, but I need to test it more.

Soodanim

Yeah, I mean, I can't see individual pixels on my N5. Even if I try to get as close as possible I can only maybe sort of make out a slight hint that the shapes on the display are indeed made out of pixels. At normal viewing distance there's just no way. At 5" you simply don't need more than 1080p, we've reached the optimal resolution IMO. The G3 display is a bit larger, but its resolution really seems like overkill to me at phone sizes, and probably not worth the additional GPU power it requires (and with that, additional battery drainage).
I just tried that on my N7 and I can just about make out pixels up close at 1920x1200. There's no way 1440p makes sense on a 5.5" screen.

And yeah, why do phones have 1gb RAM when Nexus devices have had 2 for years? I think I'd be annoyed with 1 now.

terrier

I just tried that on my N7 and I can just about make out pixels up close at 1920x1200. There's no way 1440p makes sense on a 5.5" screen.

And yeah, why do phones have 1gb RAM when Nexus devices have had 2 for years? I think I'd be annoyed with 1 now.

This is the main issue for me with all these mid range devices, i'd buy an xperia T2 or a simlar phablet with snapdragon 400, very decent processor and usually decent price too, but only 1GB for web browsing is annoying in 2014. I bought a bq aquaris e5 for my mother, 5inch, mediatek processor (similar to SD400) but with 2gb ram, it just works for readig, web, social, music and with minimal lag issues. Can't say the same for more powerful devices but with only 1GB

Nicktendo86

When you have to go to the lengths of rooting a phone to change the resolution to kill the highlight feature of the phone I say no thanks. What a disappointment.

this_guy

I have the G3, and after a couple of days my battery is now much better (might also because my Snapdragon Battery Guru app has finished learning my habits and is fully active) and now with light usage battery is about the same or maybe slightly better than when I had the G2. With heavy usage I'm sure it won't be as good as the G2 because of the screen, but I wouldn't call battery life a negative on this phone. Just for reference, I also used the Snapdragon Battery Guru app when I had the G2 (as should everyone else who uses an Android phone with a Snapdragon processor).

The screen is definitely sharp, but I would have been fine with 1080p as well.

snacknuts

we all knew her
The only thing keeping me from getting a G3 is my concern that the screen might be too big for me. The G2 was the best phone I've ever had, but the 5.2" on that one felt like the outer limit of how big I would want my phone to be. A friend of mine got one yesterday, so I'll play with it a bit this weekend and see how I feel about it. I had a Note 3 for 30 days and couldn't get used to how massive it was (I realized the G3 is appreciably smaller in the hand/pocket than the Note 3).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's not just the battery.

It's the extra pixels require more power which in turn the device gets hot which in turn means it throttles some.

There also is the fact that while it's high res it's not the best in terms of color reproduction. The S5, M8, and Z2 seem to be better displays in the areas other than pure pixels.

LG jumped the gun IMO even if it is still a great phone.

I myself haven't noticed the phone getting hot but I don't play games or do anything really intensive on it. I really do love the G3 though. Glad I purchased it.

Crisco

Banned
Yeah, battery life is definitely not a complaint for the G3, at least for normal usage as a phone. If you game on it for hours a day or other screen intensive activities, then you'll definitely need to plugin before the evening. For me though, it's perfect. The power usage for all the stuff it does behind the scenes, with the screen off, has been optimized to hell and back. Idle battery usage seems to be as close to zero as an internet enabled device can get.

Guys, I know I'm annoying with this and I'm really sorry for that.

So the latest Nexus news and rumors are that the Nexus brand isn't going to disappear, but there won't be any more phones?

Either way,, I really regret not getting the red N5 new for 315, when I had the chance.

Toki767

So the latest Nexus news and rumors are that the Nexus brand isn't going to disappear, but there won't be any more phones?

Either way,, I really regret not getting the red N5 new for 315, when I had the chance.

Nexus tablets only I guess.

Kansoku

So my Galaxy S2 broke. If fell screen down and the screen broke (only the screen, the glass is perfectly fine, as is everything else). I'm going to try to fix it but in case it can't be fixed, or it's too expensive I might get another phone.

So I don't know if this is the place to ask, but if it is can you guys recommend me some phone? I absolutely need either a large internal storage (32GB+) or expansible storage (I favor this since I can just remove my SD from S2 and put it in the new phone), since I have a lot of music and I can't use streaming services since data plans SUCK here and these services are not available, and I also need good developer supper, a.k.a. I can root it, and flash ROMs (I use CarbonROM now since it's the one who is more stable from the ones I tested, but it can be any ROM if it's stable enough and is active). Obviously stuff like good battery and if it's possible a not too big screen. Around the size of the S2 is great, but not too much bigger than that (I find the Galaxy Note 2, for example, too big). I'm in Brazil so don't worry about carriers and this kind of stuff.

Thanks.

So my Galaxy S2 broke. If fell screen down and the screen broke (only the screen, the glass is perfectly fine, as is everything else). I'm going to try to fix it but in case it can't be fixed, or it's too expensive I might get another phone.

So I don't know if this is the place to ask, but if it is can you guys recommend me some phone? I absolutely need either a large internal storage (32GB+) or expansible storage (I favor this since I can just remove my SD from S2 and put it in the new phone), since I have a lot of music and I can't use streaming services since data plans SUCK here and these services are not available, and I also need good developer supper, a.k.a. I can root it, and flash ROMs (I use CarbonROM now since it's the one who is more stable from the ones I tested, but it can be any ROM if it's stable enough and is active). Obviously stuff like good battery and if it's possible a not too big screen. Around the size of the S2 is great, but not too much bigger than that (I find the Galaxy Note 2, for example, too big). I'm in Brazil so don't worry about carriers and this kind of stuff.

Thanks.

Moto G LTE?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

You should regret it. Just get the N5. Those rumors seem to be true but meh, N5 is still a beast.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I get two hours screen time a day. And with L, it's even better.

So yes.

This fall it will be a battle for my dollars between OPO and hopefully a new nexus device and will be decided largely on battery life. I need at least 4 hours on screen time at this point after being spoiled with my Note 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom