• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So yes.

This fall it will be a battle for my dollars between OPO and hopefully a new nexus device and will be decided largely on battery life. I need at least 4 hours on screen time at this point after being spoiled with my Note 2.
If the Note 2 is your standard for battery life, then I don't know why you even asked. No way will the N5 compete with that.

NotBacon

Stupid as fuck decision on LGs part. More damm pixels, that you can't even see, detracting from what could have been insane battery life. And with all the support the G3 is getting, watch them release the first 2880x5120 phone next year...

Toki767

You guys are ridiculous. There's nothing to suggest that the G3 would have had like 6+ hours of screen on time if it was 1080p.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If the Note 2 is your standard for battery life, then I don't know why you even asked. No way will the N5 compete with that.

There are plenty of phones coming out now that can do real world 4+ hour screen on time over an entire day though.

Basically i have trouble reading reviews on battery life and translating it to real world usage. Based off just reviews I would expect the Nexus 5 to hit 4 hours, so it is my own issue with translating reviews to reality.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
People just hatin cause they ain't got one.

I'm hating cause they prioritized a needless high res screen verses a better looking screen.

AnandTech said:
Unfortunately, if there is any real flaw in the LG G3, it is the display. The goal of attaining a ~540 PPI has come at immense cost. Relative to the competition, the LG G3 definitely sees a noticeable reduction in battery life, although it’s still firmly above what we’ve seen from 2013 (Snapdragon 600) flagships. Outside of the power trade-off, the display doesn’t get particularly bright for daytime viewing. There are also issues with the saturation compression that causes obviously oversaturated colors in almost every situation. LG has also added significant artificial sharpening to the display image, which causes noticeable artifacting in some situations.

Anyone else with a 2013 Nexus 7 experiencing a disintegrating bezel? 2 small chunks have broken off of mine thus far.

It's been dropped once into the crack between my car's driver seat and glove compartment, but that was months ago.

this_guy

this test seems a bit different than most others I've read, which usually have the iphone at the top overall.

One such example: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-phone-cameras,news-17639.html or http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/roundups/camera/539620/1/best-smartphone-cameras-of-2014.html

Different steeerokes I gizzzuess.

The gsmarena camera tests has plenty of comparison pics in different scenarios, so I find it more valuable than "Best overall" or "Most Features" without the pics to back up the results.

Groof

this test seems a bit different than most others I've read, which usually have the iphone at the top overall.

One such example: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-phone-cameras,news-17639.html or http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/roundups/camera/539620/1/best-smartphone-cameras-of-2014.html

Different steeerokes I gizzzuess.
I was more talking about vanilla dissing the test completely because the Z2 and Find 7 aren't sold in North America. Haven't read the actual test yet, but the iPhone has long since been trumped IMHO.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yes, let's ignore the huge world that exists outside murica

I'm not disagreeing but even Europe isn't buying a fucking Oppo phone, and this being an English site I hardly think Chinese are doing a ton of hits.

Never mind the test is weird anyways as it doesn't go into different lighting that much nor does it fully touch on color gamut and things such as purple fringing.

They have good comparison pics, but their overall thoughts don't seem to reflect that.

Yes. As Gwantu said it's like the GS4 all over again. Let's jump to 1080p without giving two fucks about the rest of the screen. Thankfully Samsung has rectified this in it's more recent offerings.

Hopefully LG does the same.

Funny because every review I've seen says the G3 beats the S5 in battery life in day to day usage.

Oh wait you're talking about the quality of the screen? That's not even remotely what I was talking about and you're just jumping into my conversation.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anyone else with a 2013 Nexus 7 experiencing a disintegrating bezel? 2 small chunks have broken off of mine thus far.

It's been dropped once into the crack between my car's driver seat and glove compartment, but that was months ago.

Yep, that's happening to mine. I'm trying to sell it off before it gets worse.

asdad123

So how do I go about getting rid of touchwiz? Its starting to annoy me on my S5. My phone keeps getting stuck at random times for 5 seconds or so.

zatara

Had a g3 for all of a day and returned it for my m8.

Pros:

Didn't feel like I was holding a 5.5 inch screen

Camera was good.

UI didn't look like crap.

Cons:

Battery life was subpar, on standby it was great but actually using it was the problem. It drained faster than my m8.

Screen isn't what it's cracked up to be, like others have said the sharpness crap they did ruins it.

It's janky, the 801 isn't meant for this kind of display. Even with ART enabled it was still janky. Animations were choppy, and the UI just felt a tad leggy, not as smooth as sense.

Possible over heating problem, at one point today it shut off and wouldn't even reboot cause it was so warm.

If this was a 1080p display I'd be in love with it,but the display ruins the most essential parts of a phone, performance and battery.

belvedere

Junior Butler
This may be completely arbitrary but I thought I'd post my typical battery stats for the Oneplus One. I've swapped back and forth between Android and ios for the last few years, and this so far anyway, has had some of the best battery life I've experienced.

Not a heavy usage day, but a typical one for me. Streamed Spotify on my hour long commute in the morning, played RR3 for half of my lunch break, made and recieved several phone calls, typical texting all day and email usage.

0A7ybRI.png

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This may be completely arbitrary but I thought I'd post my typical battery stats for the Oneplus One. I've swapped back and forth between Android and ios for the last few years, and this so far anyway, has had some of the best battery life I've experienced.

Not a heavy usage day, but a typical one for me. Streamed Spotify on my hour long commute in the morning, played RR3 for half of my lunch break, made and recieved several phone calls, typical texting all day and email usage.

0A7ybRI.png

These are never useful without Screen On stats.

NotBacon

People just hatin cause they ain't got one.

Lolnope. I'll take the based X+1, since it prioritizes UX over numbers.

Funny because every review I've seen says the G3 beats the S5 in battery life in day to day usage.

Oh wait you're talking about the quality of the screen? That's not even remotely what I was talking about and you're just jumping into my conversation.

He's talking about the G3, you're talking about the G3....

And it's not about the battery life! It's about their stupid-ass decision and future implications of their stupid-ass decision. The last thing we need is every OEM jumping on the qHD bandwagon and killing battery life.

So how do I go about getting rid of touchwiz? Its starting to annoy me on my S5. My phone keeps getting stuck at random times for 5 seconds or so.

The Next Big Thing.

Had a g3 for all of a day and returned it for my m8.

Pros:

Didn't feel like I was holding a 5.5 inch screen

Camera was good.

UI didn't look like crap.

Cons:

Battery life was subpar, on standby it was great but actually using it was the problem. It drained faster than my m8.

Screen isn't what it's cracked up to be, like others have said the sharpness crap they did ruins it.

It's janky, the 801 isn't meant for this kind of display. Even with ART enabled it was still janky. Animations were choppy, and the UI just felt a tad leggy, not as smooth as sense.

Possible over heating problem, at one point today it shut off and wouldn't even reboot cause it was so warm.

If this was a 1080p display I'd be in love with it,but the display ruins the most essential parts of a phone, performance and battery.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand yup.

MattDoza

0A7ybRI.png

That font...

VoxPop

Thanks. Any suggestions for which ROM is best. Looking for battery life/smoothness.

Sorry no clue. Don't own a Samsung device anymore :T

I'm sure some one in here can help

Also..

Does anyone know if you can save all your Flipboard articles for offline viewing with one tap? Or do you have to do them individually?

Groof

Two hours sounds low. I'm currently at nearly four hours of screen-on time, with the battery at 35%. I do keep the brightness rather low though. (This is with the L preview.)

EDIT: Screens:

(Yeah, I've been up all night, my days are weird at the moment, lol.)

So the battery improvements in L are real???

och vad fan är "För högt räknad"?

Looks like I'm getting my Nexus 5 earlier than expected.

Does the contacts app on Android finally plug into Facebook or do I still have to use some weird 3rd party app?

ParityBit

Well, I "conveniently" went swimming with my Driod RAXR Maxx in my pocket. Did not plan to .... and well, that was that. I went to Verizon with the wife to get an HTC One M8 for me and a S5 for her .... walked out with the G3 (White) for both of us. :)

Is there any way to setup my gmail account and NOT get every contact under the sun from my account? I noticed when I turned off sync and deleted the contact, they no longer were in my contact list for emailing!

Soodanim

Looks like I'm getting my Nexus 5 earlier than expected.

Does the contacts app on Android finally plug into Facebook or do I still have to use some weird 3rd party app?
Nope, you still need to use something else. I use Contacts+, personally. I still use the built in dialler, but I let C+ do the syncing. I've never had any problems with it.

this_guy

Well, I "conveniently" went swimming with my Driod RAXR Maxx in my pocket. Did not plan to .... and well, that was that. I went to Verizon with the wife to get an HTC One M8 for me and a S5 for her .... walked out with the G3 (White) for both of us. :)

Is there any way to setup my gmail account and NOT get every contact under the sun from my account? I noticed when I turned off sync and deleted the contact, they no longer were in my contact list for emailing!

Well when you sync your contacts they will all sync, but in the settings for contacts there's an option to display "Only contacts with phones", that way you will only see contacts who have phone numbers. (and not display every single person you've ever sent an email to)

ParityBit

Well when you sync your contacts they will all sync, but in the settings for contacts there's an option to display "Only contacts with phones", that way you will only see contacts who have phone numbers. (and not display every single person you've ever sent an email to)

Awesome, that works. What about g-chat? It shows up on my hangouts. I am not sure how I feel about that. Previously I just used hangouts for texting.

Sort of defeats the purpose on a normal day. Leave the benchmarks to extreme case scenario stats. I should use it quite heavily tomorrow or Sat, I'll post the display stats then.

Hexo theme default, fortunately it's easily rectified. Looks less horrifying on the device display lol.

Out of interest though, what was the screen on time? My GNex is on its last legs and OnePlus One is definitely on my list.

zchen

My HD2 running android is finally dead. I'm really attracted to the Sony Z Ultra for some reason (Expansys having the GPE version for $349), but it looks huge.

My HD2 running android is finally dead. I'm really attracted to the Sony Z Ultra for some reason (Expansys having the GPE version for $349), but it looks huge.

The Z Ultra is a tablet, not a phone. Seriously, it's massive.

r93jpoN.jpg

pAfRvzd.jpg

I really don't see a market for this. Same with the Lumia 1520/1525.

Crisco

Banned
i'm late, but the Find 7/7a are sold in North America: http://oppostyle.com/14-find-7

They even make a 'US' Version

I almost got the Find 7 before the I ended up with the G3. At the end of the day they are very similar phones and I prefer the slimmer bezel on the G3. Also, as much as I hate contracts with cell phone companies, AT&T Next is a pretty damn sweet deal if you're on one of their mobile share value plans.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Out of interest though, what was the screen on time? My GNex is on its last legs and OnePlus One is definitely on my list.

IIRC, it was right at 3 hours.

Hoping to use it a lot more today so I can post my screen time later.

Here's a couple of benchmarks to give you an idea.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Our-...re-rattles-the-Sony-Xperia-Z2s-throne_id58162

http://blog.gsmarena.com/oneplus-one-battery-test/

A couple of guys on XDA claim to consistently get 6 hours, fwiw.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2753354&page=4
Screenshot_2014-07-01-23-51-45.png

ParityBit

So there is no way to shut off "suggestions" for people in Hangouts? They are people I don't know, dont want to know and will never use. Is there any way to get rid of them or should I just never use hangout?

Toki767

So there is no way to shut off "suggestions" for people in Hangouts? They are people I don't know, dont want to know and will never use. Is there any way to get rid of them or should I just never use hangout?

Press and hold their name and choose hide contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom