• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.Feels a bit too big

The ladies know there's no such thing as "too big".

2.Touchwiz looks bad but don't want to root until the warranty is up and not sure about s-pen support on custom firmware

The custom firmware needs to use the Touchwiz framework to have S-Pen support so you can take S-Notes while on your S-Calls. So basically it's going to be Touchwiz, the best they can do is remove miscellaneous apps you might consider bloat.

3.slow updates

If you absolutely need the latest version of Android the day it's released, your only option is Nexus really.

Wanting a new phone and its between GS5 or LG G3. The reason I may be leaning toward the LG G3 is that I have gone from Galaxy S1 to Galaxy S3 which I have now. Kind of want something different. With that being said, I have loved the Galaxy series of phones and know what to expect.

Opinions?

ever dropped your phone in a toilet or pool, etc?

Groof

Man, I can't get over how ugly the Talon icon has become. Want to pick up Fenix instead, just because of that.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Man, I can't get over how ugly the Talon icon has become. Want to pick up Fenix instead, just because of that.

Get that out of here. It looks OK, and the program itself it bossly. Sure it's not gonna win any awards, but neither are most icons.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is there a way to read the SMS messages I get on my phone, on my PC without rooting?

Airdroid.

A less heavy way of achieving this (as Airdroid essentially runs an entire server thing on your phone which you then access from your PC) is to use Pushbullet + EvolveSMS. Pushbullet pushes all your phone notifications to your PC (you can disable this for individual apps that you don't want to see there), and if you're also using EvolveSMS you can reply to SMS notifications right on your PC. You can't start new SMS conversations this way though, only reply to incoming ones.

Yeah, that Talon icon is terrible. I know it's weird, but ugly icons sometimes make me not even want to use an app too. For instance, Duolingo's icon is one of the worst. The original icon wasn't anything special, but it was better....well, aside from the whole death stare/"I can see into your soul" look it had.

Original:
duolingo-banner.png

mzl.zgvvqste.png

"Look into my eyes and tell me what it is you see."

Spoiler:
Your soul.

Current (with "come at me bro!/wassup now?!" gesture):

This post is only half serious.

Groof

Most trivial complaint of the day goes to...
Why is it trivial?
There's more to an app than just functionality. Enjoyment of using apps come from parts the aforementioned functionality as well as usability, design language and app identity encompassing choice of colour and graphics (icon and the like). Talon excels at a lot of these, even providing user made themes if you want to spruse it up a bit, but the icon is a major drawback.
It was never good looking, but it was definitely more acceptable before. What it is now is ruining of the overall experience I've had with the app so far.

And yes, I will continue using it because I paid for it. But switching to Fenix isn't completely out of the question.

A less heavy way of achieving this (as Airdroid essentially runs an entire server thing on your phone which you then access from your PC) is to use Pushbullet + EvolveSMS. Pushbullet pushes all your phone notifications to your PC (you can disable this for individual apps that you don't want to see there), and if you're also using EvolveSMS you can reply to SMS notifications right on your PC. You can't start new SMS conversations this way though, only reply to incoming ones.

Whoa @ Pushbullet. This is exactly what i needed at work. How can i respond to WhatsApp messages from Chrome?

Had my G3 for a week now, including a quick trip to Savannah, GA, and I'm incredibly happy with it. (Almost) None of the garbage that was on my Note II before I put CM11 on it, and I'm not getting any of the lag/screen issues that others have mentioned elsewhere.

The Quick Circle Case is nice (black case on black phone), and Quick Circle Apps makes the QC super useful now.

Matush

Hey guys, any tips on how to improve performance of my old Nexus 7 (2012). I have never done a root and I'm not even sure how to do it.

Mindwipe

Or... you could just use a custom icon?

(Is Talon any good? I don't suppose there is any way to get it match Tweetcaster's Facebook duplicate posting?)

VoxPop

Why is it trivial?
There's more to an app than just functionality. Enjoyment of using apps come from parts the aforementioned functionality as well as usability, design language and app identity encompassing choice of colour and graphics (icon and the like). Talon excels at a lot of these, even providing user made themes if you want to spruse it up a bit, but the icon is a major drawback.
It was never good looking, but it was definitely more acceptable before. What it is now is ruining of the overall experience I've had with the app so far.

And yes, I will continue using it because I paid for it. But switching to Fenix isn't completely out of the question.

That's absolutely true but you could always change the icon to something else

Groof

Or... you could just use a custom icon?

(Is Talon any good? I don't suppose there is any way to get it match Tweetcaster's Facebook duplicate posting?)

That's absolutely true but you could always change the icon to something else
Until xposed stops being married with dalvik I will. Until then I have no choice if i want to use the Google now launcher.

And yes, besides the icon talon is the best

VoxPop

I just got my 128gb microSD but how do I move my apps and videos to it?

I don't think you can do that unless you're rooted. Plus SD cards are slow as hell so I don't think you want to be putting apps on it anyway. They are basically for media storage.

Pachimari

I don't think you can do that unless you're rooted. Plus SD cards are slow as hell so I don't think you want to be putting apps on it anyway. They are basically for media storage.
I can do that. I just mounted it the wrong way the first time.

I will put my apps on it to free up my 16gb space.

Another thing is, how do I move my pictures and videos to the microSD card? I can't seem to find the option in the Gallery app.
Also, I have already moved my apps.

Mindwipe

Until xposed stops being married with dalvik I will. Until then I have no choice if i want to use the Google now launcher.

And yes, besides the icon talon is the best

You wouldn't have to root necessarily, you could modify the APK or create a shortcut.

VoxPop

I can do that. I just mounted it the wrong way the first time.

I will put my apps on it to free up my 16gb space.

Another thing is, how do I move my pictures and videos to the microSD card? I can't seem to find the option in the Gallery app.
Also, I have already moved my apps.

I'm guessing via drag and drop on your computer or use something like ES Explorer to move them over.

BertramCooper said:
So can we go ahead and classify the Fire Phone as a complete flop, or is it still too early?

That thing was a flop once it was announced. Kin and HTC First territory.

That thing was a flop once it was announced. Kin and HTC First territory.
Hopefully its failure will finally prompt Amazon get out the Instant Video app for Android.

I used to buy new TV episodes from Amazon, but I switched over to Google Play because I was so pissed at Amazon for purposely withholding a video app from Android just to push their own shitty hardware.

And other than occasionally streaming a Prime movie, I don't think I'll ever use Amazon video again.

VoxPop

Hopefully its failure will finally prompt Amazon get out the Instant Video app for Android.

I used to buy new TV episodes from Amazon, but I switched over to Google Play because I was so pissed at Amazon for purposely withholding a video app from Android just to push their own shitty hardware.

And other than occasionally streaming a Prime movie, I don't think I'll ever use Amazon video again.

Would be good but I doubt it since their Fire tablets still do fairly well.

thespot84

Already happening. Chromeast? different story...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...-android-app-for-prime-instant-video/#!bwyq9t

We just got the Xperia Z2 tablets in stock. Good god. Never seen a tablet this thin and light before. Its incredible. I think I'm gonna buy one.

Man, Samsung's phones are super easy to take apart and repair. I used to own an S III which I've opened up a couple times, and it was extremely easy. I just got a Note 2 today and took it apart for fun, and it was somehow even easier.

My number one most hated and feared thing in opening up electronics is removing/inserting ribbon cables. I've been burned too many times by not inserting a ribbon cable in the slot properly, and twice I ended up breaking the flap, rendering the whole thing useless. However, the ribbon cables in Samsung's phones use a different kind of connector which basically makes replacing the cables an absolute joy. It's pretty much like the difference between fumbling around to get your NES to read an NES cartridge and simply placing a CD in a Playstation.

Not only that, but the lack of too many screws, lack of glued or taped down components, easily accessible parts, etc. pretty much make it fun to disassemble and reassemble.

Are any other company's Android phones so easy to open up, fix, and repair?

VoxPop

Man, Samsung's phones are super easy to take apart and repair. I used to own an S III which I've opened up a couple times, and it was extremely easy. I just got a Note 2 today and took it apart for fun, and it was somehow even easier.

My number one most hated and feared thing in opening up electronics is removing/inserting ribbon cables. I've been burned too many times by not inserting a ribbon cable in the slot properly, and twice I ended up breaking the flap, rendering the whole thing useless. However, the ribbon cables in Samsung's phones use a different kind of connector which basically makes replacing the cables an absolute joy. It's pretty much like the difference between fumbling around to get your NES to read an NES cartridge and simply placing a CD in a Playstation.

Not only that, but the lack of too many screws, lack of glued or taped down components, easily accessible parts, etc. pretty much make it fun to disassemble and reassemble.

Screen_Shot_2014_08_05_at_7_02_21_PM.png

NotBacon

lolwut

The only thing bothering me currently with the new Chrome Beta is the lack of a refresh icon the address bar. I'm used to just clicking that icon, now I actually have to hit the Enter key on the keyboard. With the gap between the New Tab icon and 3-Dot Menu icon, they easily could add it back.

The only thing bothering me currently with the new Chrome Beta is the lack of a refresh icon the address bar. I'm used to just clicking that icon, now I actually have to hit the Enter key on the keyboard. With the gap between the New Tab icon and 3-Dot Menu icon, they easily could add it back.
Yep, same here. At first I didn't think it'd be a problem, but now I keep hitting that area of the omnibox by mistake. Quite annoying. Still gonna stick with Chrome Beta for the foreseeable future, though. It's fast, looks good, and the syncing stuff is top tier. I also don't seem to have the battery drain I used to have with it months ago.

Still hoping they bring back the pie controls in Chrome, though. That was the best part of the AOSP browser. Man, that was the best browser I've ever used.

Husker86

It sounds silly, but when I had a GS4 I fucked up the SIM slot (put adapter in there so I wouldn't lose it, but if you put an empty adapter in and try to pull it out, be prepared to mess the pins up).

I bought a new SIM tray for like $6 and put it in in less than 3 minutes.

Still not a factor in what phone I purchase, but I gotta admit, the repairability did come in handy!

The only big repair most people will do on their phones is probably replace a broken screen, if they even bother instead of just buying a new phone. Phones don't have really any moving parts so it's hard to really break them unless you just run them over with your car. And the Galaxy S5 can even survive that.

Anyways, if you enjoy taking phones apart, never buy an HTC One series device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom