• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdad123

What are Internet browsers that you guys use on your phones? From what I've read, chrome drains battery like crazy. I tried opera mini and didn't like it as it seemed to load websites slower than the stock browser.

Eanan

What are Internet browsers that you guys use on your phones? From what I've read, chrome drains battery like crazy. I tried opera mini and didn't like it as it seemed to load websites slower than the stock browser.

If your worried about battery, id recommend AOSP borwser. Requires root though.

I just stick with chrome though as I like all its features.

reKon

Banned
I was using dolphin before on my Nexus 7 (2013), but for some reason performance became so shitty. Tapping on links wouldn't work and at random when browsing, things just became unresponsive as fuck. I had to swtich to chrome and it performed 10x better. I just did a clean flash of 4.4.4 stock this time (last time was a dirty flash) so i'll probably try Dolphin again sometime later.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Dolphin works best for me because of the slide out bookmark bar (which seems unique to Dolphin and is critical to me now in a browser) and the fact that the damn address bar doesn't constantly flash in and out.

I use an old version of dolphin though because I hated what they did in the new version.

Is the battery drain still a thing? I knew it used to be, but it seems fine now.

I was using Next Browser, but the random crashes where suddenly all my tabs are now closed got really annoying since it didn't have any type of recovery. Chrome has been rock solid as far as stability and hasn't crashed once. If it has, it has great tab recovery like Safari does so that I never notice. So I've recently switched back to Chrome because of Next Browser being unstable. I tried out CM Browser, but the scrolling feels sluggish.

NotBacon

Disguised Cerberus is such a good app to have. It really gives you peace of mind should your high end phone be stolen that you have a chance of finding out who stole it and taking it from there.

How does it differ from the built-in Android Device Manager?

The one problem I have with Android customizations is it seemed to me that in order to get certain tweaks, I'd have to find a ROM that had those tweaks. So it came down to finding the right ROM that did everything the way I wanted where as jailbreaking iOS let me just apply whatever specific tweak I wanted. That was something I didn't expect when moving to Android and it was frustrating.

Xposed modules?

My faves are Javelin, CM Browser, Now Browser, and Chrome of course. With the newest update, Dolphin sucks balls now.

Eanan

How does it differ from the built-in Android Device Manager?

It has FAR more features. If you install the disguised version through recovery, it is invisible and cant be removed (without some terminal modification I think), and survives factory resets etc. It also makes 3G/GPS impossible to turn off.

The app itself is great as you can do lots of things from the website, such as recording audio without any notification and take pictures/video and get them sent to your email, block the phone from being unlocked, display messages and lots more.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Chrome on my phone Chrome beta with material design on my Nexus 7 with the L preview.

It has FAR more features. If you install the disguised version through recovery, it is invisible and cant be removed (without some terminal modification I think), and survives factory resets etc. It also makes 3G/GPS impossible to turn off.

The app itself is great as you can do lots of things from the website, such as recording audio without any notification and take pictures/video and get them sent to your email, block the phone from being unlocked, display messages and lots more.

Sounds great! I'll get this for my next phone for sure.

Android Device Manager didn't help much with my phone, but it may have been my screw up. I had TMobile issue me a new sim card so i could use my old nexus 1, which I would guess deactivated the sim card in the stolen Nexus 4 making its signal turn off...right? I guess? Or the thief shut the phone off. Either way, Device Manager couldn't find it.

The OnePlus looks pretty good, I am just worried about the size. It (and the N5) are both larger than the Nexus 4...and the Nexus 4 felt like it was about as big of a phone as I'd ever want. Anyone have any links handy comparing the sizes of these phones?

Eanan

Android Device Manager didn't help much with my phone, but it may have been my screw up. I had TMobile issue me a new sim card so i could use my old nexus 1, which I would guess deactivated the sim card in the stolen Nexus 4 making its signal turn off...right? I guess? Or the thief shut the phone off. Either way, Device Manager couldn't find it.

The OnePlus looks pretty good, I am just worried about the size. It (and the N5) are both larger than the Nexus 4...and the Nexus 4 felt like it was about as big of a phone as I'd ever want. Anyone have any links handy comparing the sizes of these phones?

Yeah, the thing thats great about Cerberus is that the thief, assuming they aren't very tech savy, will probably wipe the phone using a factory reset at worse case scenario if they can log in.

But providing you've installed the disguised Cerberus app through recovery, it wont matter; you will still be able to track the phone and record sound/take pictures and get an idea as to where they are located etc. without them knowing when they next connect to wifi/3G, even though they think the phone is completely wiped like new.

I came from a nexus 4, and the size of the OPO is fine I think. Sure its a bit big, and you usually have to use two hands for a secure grip, but I think its worth it as the display is amazing.

This comparison is about as best you will get without seeing the phones in person to compare sizes: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Google-Nexus-4,OnePlus-One/phones/7531,8603

It will give you a rough idea of the size differences.

CronoShot

Here

RayStorm

Firefox because of Firefox Sync. I like having my bookmarks/history with me all the time.

I came from a nexus 4, and the size of the OPO is fine I think. Sure its a bit big, and you usually have to use two hands for a secure grip, but I think its worth it as the display is amazing.

This comparison is about as best you will get without seeing the phones in person to compare sizes: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size#/phones/size/Google-Nexus-4,OnePlus-One/phones/7531,8603

It will give you a rough idea of the size differences.
I also came from a Nexus 4 and actually looked at that PhoneArena chart before receiving my OnePlus One. Let me warn you that even that chart won't really show you just how big this phone is compared to the Nexus 4 - you need to see it to get a good feel for the size difference. The first day you get it you'll definitely think "this phone is way too big."

With that said - after my first weekend with the OPO I couldn't go back to my Nexus 4. The OPO is an amazing phone and you definitely get used to the size after a few days of using it. The screen and battery life completely blow the Nexus 4 out of the water. This is the real deal.

reKon

Banned
I'd still rather have a phone I can use with one hand. The HTC One/Nexus 5 is my limit when it comes to that size. The G2 was at a good size too. Around 4.6-5 inches with most of the screen taking up the body of the phone is perfect for me and I have no trouble reading on there. If I want a big screen then I will use tablet. It seems that too many manufactures are going towards phablet = phone. That extra screen size doesn't benefit me as much unless I'm trying to do something more productive - for which I'd use a tablet anyways!

Cipherr

Moto moves ahead of Nokia (undoubtedly because of Moto E/G).

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2014-08-02/news/52356362_1_moto-e-moto-g-amit-boni

Fucking microsoft.

Damn:

Motorola shipped 955,650 smartphones in the three-month period, compared with 633,720 for Nokia, now owned by Microsoft, while in the January to March period, Nokia sold 583,160 smartphones, higher than Motorola's 379,310, Canalys said in a report.

Thats one hell of a jump in units sold for Moto quarter to quarter.

sirap

Built in browser in Sense 6 is god tier. Love the circular side controls. Easy on the battery too.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
When the fuck is Moto gonna have their press event? Feels like they give more of a fuck about the G/E these days.

JLG-

OK guys so i got a new phone (OnePlus One). What is the best/easiest way to transfer my text messages from a Nexus 4 to the OPO?

For those in the market for a Moto G, looks like Best Buy has the 4G 8GB (w/ MicroSD slot) version on sale for $179.99 (regular $219.99). It's an unlocked phone, but it looks like the deal is only at brick-and-mortar stores:
4G Black
4G White

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've been using lightning browser and it works wonderfully. There's a free and paid version, so check it out. I grabbed it from a recommendation on here and I couldn't be happier. I also recommend Boat Browser.

Quasar

Chrome. It works perfectly fine for me, plus a bunch of the chrome features (such as seeing the chrome tabs from my other browsers) I find really useful.

Groof

Anytime I try to switch from Chrome, I just end up right back within a day or two. Its features are too good, and tab + bookmark syncing with other devices is invaluable.

Ensirius

I have to use another browser besides chrome as it lacks the ability to not show images. Being away from home without Wifi, it simply isn't an option. I'm using maxthrom right now and it does the trick just fine.

Chrome beta all the way. I know some swear by pie controls and that chrome did suffer performance issues compared to the aosp browser. That's a thing of the past on relatively recent hardware (anything with a reasonably modern GPU).

Anytime I try to switch from Chrome, I just end up right back within a day or two. Its features are too good, and tab + bookmark syncing with other devices is invaluable.

The only thing that keeps me on Dolphin is the interface. I pretty much only browse GAF or YouTube on my phone and being able to just swipe in from the side and tap on one of the two bookmarks is godly. It takes way too long in Chrome (tap the menu button, then bookmarks and then the actual bookmark). And since I browse different content on my phone than I do on my PC, syncing bookmarks and tabs isn't beneficial to me either. I only wish Dolphin didn't get so goddamn ugly. What's with the green tabs anyway? They should get on that material design ASAP. The Chrome Beta looks great.

The only thing that keeps me on Dolphin is the interface. I pretty much only browse GAF or YouTube on my phone and being able to just swipe in from the side and tap on one of the two bookmarks is godly. It takes way too long in Chrome (tap the menu button, then bookmarks and then the actual bookmark). And since I browse different content on my phone than I do on my PC, syncing bookmarks and tabs isn't beneficial to me either. I only wish Dolphin didn't get so goddamn ugly. What's with the green tabs anyway? They should get on that material design ASAP. The Chrome Beta looks great.

A tip: an easier way to navigate to bookmarks is to go to the address bar and just stick in one or two letters of the site bookmark you want to navigate to (it then usually suggests that site). I do that rather than actually using the bookmarks menu. Maybe not as fast as Dolphin mind.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

There are two versions of Opera, Mini and the regular browser. Mini compresses all pages on a server before sending them to you, and is meant for people with slow/limited data connections. If you have a decent connection the regular version will be faster, so try that instead.

If I wanted GPS to turn on and off every time I open and close Maps, would I need Tasker?

The GPS is only actually active when an app is using it if your phone is working correctly, so there's no reason to turn it off.

Chrome beta all the way. I know some swear by pie controls and that chrome did suffer performance issues compared to the aosp browser. That's a thing of the past on relatively recent hardware (anything with a reasonably modern GPU).

I use Chrome, but it constantly has to reload tabs (and often tabs just "die" completely) on my N5 with 2GB RAM. Scrolling performance and such is fine, memory usage is not.

You guys are all doing it wrong. Stock Android browser with quick controls enabled is the only proper browsing experience. You can even hack Flash playback in with root privileges. You can turn images off, your data isn't sent to some dodgy Russian data company (does Dolphin still do that?), the browsing is smooth, everything loads super quick and with 2GB RAM you can have around 4 tabs open before it needs to purge the memory buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom