• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing bothering me currently with the new Chrome Beta is the lack of a refresh icon the address bar. I'm used to just clicking that icon, now I actually have to hit the Enter key on the keyboard. With the gap between the New Tab icon and 3-Dot Menu icon, they easily could add it back.

Ive been doing a super quick little swipe down from the 3 dots. Its a nice little quick motion and its easier to reach than the little refresh icon. I hated that it was gone at first though.

My nexus 5 is at 43% with 24 mins of on screen time lol. Which was just sending a couple texts, visiting gaf for 2 mins, and the rest was just me checking notifications, which weren't many.

I literally have nothing on this phone. lol. It has always been average to below average but something must be going on with whatever version of android I have. Ahhh just tired of this. I already know I'm getting an iphone 6 but I think I'll pick up a moto G on the cheaps as well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Still no word on a Motorolla press conference? We already have a reveal date for the Note 4, :S

It'll come out, but it'll be the same speaks as all the phone from the 1st half of the year. Meanwhile LG, Samsung, Sony ect... Are all moving along to the next big thing.

YKf5Q7w.jpg
YES

It'll come out, but it'll be the same speaks as all the phone from the 1st half of the year. Meanwhile LG, Samsung, Sony ect... Are all moving along to the next big thing.

The next big things in what? SoCs that people won't even be able to tell the difference between compared to older processors? Unless these manufacturers are coming with some insane battery life and finally make 32GB the minimum storage capacity, most won't care. QuadHD legit isn't much of an improvement like 1080p was over 720p.

The next big thing is in software, and since Motorola is very quick with updates now, they'll already have the next big thing with Android L before everyone but Google.

Motorola's gonna dominate this shit. No doubt about it.

#ReturnOfTheKing #XFON+1

Do you have light flow or any similar apps installed?

Nope. I thought it was WhatsApp at first, because I was talking to someone. But even after the conversation ended, it continued to blink (green in this case). I rebooted the phone and it stopped, but it seemed really weird to me.

reKon

Banned
My nexus 5 is at 43% with 24 mins of on screen time lol. Which was just sending a couple texts, visiting gaf for 2 mins, and the rest was just me checking notifications, which weren't many.

I literally have nothing on this phone. lol. It has always been average to below average but something must be going on with whatever version of android I have. Ahhh just tired of this. I already know I'm getting an iphone 6 but I think I'll pick up a moto G on the cheaps as well.

Xperia Z3 Compact Brah

jey_16

Banned
Nope. I thought it was WhatsApp at first, because I was talking to someone. But even after the conversation ended, it continued to blink (green in this case). I rebooted the phone and it stopped, but it seemed really weird to me.

I've been having that problem with my note 3 but I use light flow.

Would a Galaxy Note be much cheaper if instead of using the Wacom tech, it uses tech similar to the NVidia Tegra Note?

I ask because I am really impressed with the low price of the fairly recent and more powerful Tegra Note on second hand sites compared to the Galaxy Note 8.0.

The only big repair most people will do on their phones is probably replace a broken screen, if they even bother instead of just buying a new phone. Phones don't have really any moving parts so it's hard to really break them unless you just run them over with your car. And the Galaxy S5 can even survive that.

Anyways, if you enjoy taking phones apart, never buy an HTC One series device.

That's true, and unfortunately the one thing that's hard to replace on Samsung phones (and many phones in general) is the screen. Even though it is probably true that cracking a screen is the most likely damage, my family's never actually done that. Instead, we've seen things like a flash light burning out, a USB port messing up, even an internal battery somehow becoming unplugged, so it really makes me happy when those kind of things are easy to take apart and replace.

Also I noticed the HTC One thing. It is actually the only device with a 1 out of 10 score on iFixIt when it comes to ease of repair, lol. I wouldn't exactly rule out buying a device because of something like that, but I would definitely take it into consideration.

That actually happens to me sometimes too, but I just figured it was CyanogenMod. For what it's worth, it disappears for me when getting a second notification.

Fatalah

Still no word on a Motorola press conference? We already have a reveal date for the Note 4, :S

Not sure why an event hasn't been announced yet either. There was a rumor Motorola wanted to launch the Moto 360 alongside the X+1, so maybe there's a holdup.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Whoa @ Pushbullet. This is exactly what i needed at work. How can i respond to WhatsApp messages from Chrome?

You can't, AFAIK. Pushbullet on its own just pushes your notifications to your PC (and lets you send other stuff in either direction). To be able to interact with a notification on your PC that particular app needs to support it, like EvolveSMS does.

That definitely doesn't sound right, I've never had that poor battery life on my N5. Either something is wrong with your phone/battery, or something you have installed is causing it.

As the Sprint and T-Mobile merger falls through, the Sprint Board bids farewell to Dan Hesse. His successor?

Marcelo Claure, a Sprint Corp board member with no experience running a wireless operator, will take over as CEO of the third largest U.S. wireless carrier, where he faces the task of charting a new course after the company scrapped plans to acquire T-Mobile.

Claure, 43, is the founder and chief executive Brightstar Corp, a small Miami-based distributor that he built into a global business, with $10.5 billion in revenue. SoftBank, the Japanese telecom that holds a controlling interest in Sprint, invested $1.26 billion last year to acquire a majority stake in Brightstar.

http://recode.net/2014/08/06/sprint-replaces-ceo-after-scrapping-t-mobile-bid/

As the Sprint and T-Mobile merger falls through, the Sprint Board bids farewell to Dan Hesse. His successor?

Marcelo Claure, a Sprint Corp board member with no experience running a wireless operator, will take over as CEO of the third largest U.S. wireless carrier, where he faces the task of charting a new course after the company scrapped plans to acquire T-Mobile.

Claure, 43, is the founder and chief executive Brightstar Corp, a small Miami-based distributor that he built into a global business, with $10.5 billion in revenue. SoftBank, the Japanese telecom that holds a controlling interest in Sprint, invested $1.26 billion last year to acquire a majority stake in Brightstar.

http://recode.net/2014/08/06/sprint-replaces-ceo-after-scrapping-t-mobile-bid/

Pretty much anyone is better than Hesse.

And the Italian gadget blog Mister Gadget has a nice gallery of the Moto 360, including pictures of the charging cradle.

http://www.lucaviscardi.eu/moto360-la-gallery-in-esclusiva/

It's a really good looking watch, but the cut off bottom part and the low res looking display are a bit of a turn-off. Not that I'd have use for a smartwatch. I don't get nearly enough notifications per day and something like Pushbullet is more useful to me in that regard.

Fox318

And the Italian gadget blog Mister Gadget has a nice gallery of the Moto 360, including pictures of the charging cradle.

http://www.lucaviscardi.eu/moto360-la-gallery-in-esclusiva/

It's a really good looking watch, but the cut off bottom part and the low res looking display are a bit of a turn-off. Not that I'd have use for a smartwatch. I don't get nearly enough notifications per day and something like Pushbullet is more useful to me in that regard.

Man I know they keep the drivers in that little part at the bottom but I want a full circle :(

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Man I know they keep the drivers in that little part at the bottom but I want a full circle :(

Yeah, it's a bummer. It sort of ruins all the watch faces that are trying to do a circular thing IMO, like the one in that photo.

EDIT: Ok, that's the charge meter, but still.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Moto 270. What a joke. It's a lack of engineering talent to not be able to make it a legit circle. Yes, I know what's in that black area. Yes, I know the supposed trade-off. I don't care. They could have done it.

Moto 270. What a joke. It's a lack of engineering talent to not be able to make it a legit circle. Yes, I know what's in that black area. Yes, I know the supposed trade-off. I don't care. They could have done it.

They certainly could have, but it becomes more difficult if they are trying to remain competitive on price if their R&D costs ended up quite higher as a result.

Hasney

They certainly could have, but it becomes more difficult if they are trying to remain competitive on price if their R&D costs ended up quite higher as a result.

It's a balancing act for sure, but I believe a smart watch has to be a god-tier product to actually justify itself to consumers and cut corners like that won't help.

I'm sure an Apple logo on the back will help with a certain segment of the market, but I don't think it's going to go to the wider masses without a full utility.

Zeppu

Your pretence at knowledge in mathematics a joke. The black part is just a segment so the degrees are still 360. Now if they'd had called it the 2πr you could've had a legit complaint.

nofunnallowed.jpg

Well, bit the bullet and decided to get a LG G3 instead of getting my N5 repaired. I've never broken a phone or mp3 player at the gym, and really surprised my N5 exploded. Getting Square Trade this time, lol.

I completely missed this. Sony killed Playstation Mobile?

Sony has announced that it will no longer support the Android side of PlayStation Mobile, its initiative to support cross-platform indie game publishing for the PS Vita and Google's OS. The service will continue to operate on PlayStation Certified devices running Android 4.4.2 and below, but from Android 4.4.3 and up, Sony can't guarantee that games will play correctly or that users will be able to access the store. Phones and tablets on Android L, the upcoming major refresh, won't have store access at all, and Sony says it has no plans to give any more devices PlayStation Certified status.

http://www.theverge.com/tech/2014/8/6/5974159/sony-gives-up-on-playstation-for-android

Did anyone here use it?

kehs

Banned
Fuck yea.

Motorola has pushed the Android 4.4.4 update to the Moto G across all carriers and unlocked offerings.

blah blah blah

updated phone dialler app that Google added to the Nexus 5 in Android 4.4.3.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2014/08/05/motorola-updates-moto-g-to-android-4-4-4/

Double fuck yea:

Earlier today, someone decided to post to the Android issue tracker complaining about the lack of multiuser support for smartphones. Within a few hours, a developer at Google responded and closed the issue, remarking that "the development team has implemented this feature and it will be available as a part of the next public build." Sounds pretty definitive to us.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...ely-include-multiple-user-support-for-phones/

You can't, AFAIK. Pushbullet on its own just pushes your notifications to your PC (and lets you send other stuff in either direction). To be able to interact with a notification on your PC that particular app needs to support it, like EvolveSMS does.

That definitely doesn't sound right, I've never had that poor battery life on my N5. Either something is wrong with your phone/battery, or something you have installed is causing it.
I know phones though (I work tech support for telecom!) and I know I have absolutely nothing installed on my phone. Nexus 5 always had very average battery life. But before the latest version of android came out that I have on it I could get almost 3+ hours of on screen time (just leaving normal levels of brightness). And now since that update, maybe it was 4.4.3 or 4.4.4 whatever it is now, too lazy to check. It violently fluctuates.

Isn't the multi-user function on the phones part of their enterprise goals with Knox, etc? Based on I/O I figure this was coming with L.

I would think they're separate. I think it would make sense if Knox is just the other side of the same coin, so to speak, for a user profile. That way "User 1" can have his/her personal and enterprise stuff in one user slot, but if they want to create a "User 2" for like their kid, they can just do that and not enable Knox on that second user profile.

Edit: But I don't know how Knox works on Samsung devices currently, so maybe it's completely different from what I'm guessing, and perhaps your guess bis closer to what it'll actually be like.

Salsa

ive been thinking about repairing my S3 screen against getting a used S4

honestly I dont think the upgrade is worth the bit of extra money.. is it?

im mostly worried about the S3 replacement being as good as new, cause honestly the phone meets my needs just fine

Bri

Any Xperia Z/ZL users here? I wrote in the Z/ZL thread, but this thread is more active.

I purchased the Xperia ZL, but apparently there is a huge problem with Google Play services draining the battery to no end.

Everytime I make the jump to replace my SGS, there's always something wrong on the other end. Paying the price of being a tight-fisted cheapskate I guess.

fml

Hasney

ive been thinking about repairing my S3 screen against getting a used S4

honestly I dont think the upgrade is worth the bit of extra money.. is it?

im mostly worried about the S3 replacement being as good as new, cause honestly the phone meets my needs just fine

May as well repair it. My housemate and girlfriend both had S3's while I had my S4 and you barely notice the difference.

If you were looking to get off Samsung, I'd use it as a chance, but if you;re staying with them, just fix up the S3.

catmincer

Any Xperia Z/ZL users here? I wrote in the Z/ZL thread, but this thread is more active.

I purchased the Xperia ZL, but apparently there is a huge problem with Google Play services draining the battery to no end.

Everytime I make the jump to replace my SGS, there's always something wrong on the other end. Paying the price of being a tight-fisted cheapskate I guess.

fml

There was that issue with the Z kitkat release. I think the trick was to uninstall the play services update.

rc213

Just received a Tempered Glass Screen Protector for the OnePlus One from ebay. For the price of $7 and since it ships from California I would say this is a steal. It has nice cut lines, it's just smaller than the overall screen which gives you leeway on the installation and the edges are rounded.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191268588987

Also anyone have the Xperia Z for T-Mobile? I'm looking to purchase a phone for my niece and was thinking $200 budget and Xperia Z sells for that on swappa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom