• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have one of these and it's excellent, have been using it every day for like 3 years. Sadly the clip on the back broke :(

Haha, same on mine. It goes in a pocket now instead.

So who's running that new Android L preview build?!?!

Seems like it's just the same build with Android Fit support added. So, meh. I went back to 4.4.4 the other day. It was fun to test L out for a while, and I look forward to the full release, but app compatibility issues and various other problems (MMS, tethering, etc) finally got a bit too annoying for me. I'll miss a lot of the new cool stuff, but for now I prioritize everything working as it should.

jesalr

Haha, same on mine. It goes in a pocket now instead.

Seems like it's just the same build with Android Fit support added. So, meh. I went back to 4.4.4 the other day. It was fun to test L out for a while, and I look forward to the full release, but app compatibility issues and various other problems (MMS, tethering, etc) finally got a bit too annoying for me. I'll miss a lot of the new cool stuff, but for now I prioritize everything working as it should.

Is there a non destructive way of downgrading back to 4.4.4? I'd rather not have to set up my phone again.
If there isn't, I might just tough out the preview until it releases.

Only major issue I'm having is that the screen won't turn back on after a phone call. I barely make calls, but it's annoying anyway.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is there a non destructive way of downgrading back to 4.4.4? I'd rather not have to set up my phone again.
If there isn't, I might just tough out the preview until it releases.

Only major issue I'm having is that the screen won't turn back on after a phone call. I barely make calls, but it's annoying anyway.

I very much doubt it can be done without a full flash. And even if there is a way to "update" from L to KK you're bound to run into issues. It's not meant to happen that way. BTW, I'm not sure you'll be able to just update from the preview to the full release either. The preview is its own separate thing, so it's likely that you'll have to wipe and flash to get back on the official update track anyway.

Don't think I ever had that issue.

Groof

Damn this was disappointing. We get told there will be no L preview updates. We get one, and it's not even an update. The split second boner I had was crushed to shards.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Damn this was disappointing. We get told there will be no L preview updates. We get one, and it's not even an update. The split second boner I had was crushed to shards.

here-comes-deflation.jpg

VoxPop

Those high quality Android L themes for CM 11 theme engine will do just fine until then for me at least.

So for a guy that just loves theming via Nova Launcher, Zooper, UCCW, etc but hates that whole boggy full theme thing that Themer does, what are Cyanogen themes like? Considering jumping in the CM bandwagon for the first time if its worthwhile.

Eanan

So for a guy that just loves theming via Nova Launcher, Zooper, UCCW, etc but hates that whole boggy full theme thing that Themer does, what are Cyanogen themes like? Considering jumping in the CM bandwagon for the first time if its worthwhile.

I use Nova Prime, but have the Android L theme setup regardless.

The CM theme engine works really well. There is zero lag, or glitches that I have found so far. The themes modify the boot screen logo, keyboard layout, dial layout, the notification tray, the settings menu's etc.

You can also download themes that are virtually identical to LG G3's android skin, Touchwiz etc.

Here are some screens of the Android L theme im using (this one as a matter of fact) on my OPO (ignore the orange tint, I use twilight app):

5d6jX61l.jpg
Hs5PIJ0.png
et76XJNl.png
Z8dzmkxl.png

That might give you a rough idea as to what the CM theme engine can do.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Do you have any experience with ROM Installer or Amy other easy "one click" ROM Installer programs? Or do you just do it the old fashioned way of flashing in Recovery? I came across the program and was really surprised at how simple it makes the whole process appear to be.
CM has a simple installer that will do everything for you.

For PA, you have to do it the manual way using CWM, but I haven't tried any other installers.

NotBacon

Any clues as to why the hell the phone is taking up over an hour of CPU time? I don't think I've used it at all today.

Oh THAT phone, why didn't you just say so?

Pretty nice. They come in a pack that themes your: icons, fonts, wallpapers, lockscreen, boot animations, sounds, and system styles. But you have a theme process running at all times in the background, taking up about 20mb. Not sure if it's themeing things on the fly or what....... but I don't notice any slowdown.

wario

just too many issues with duplicate texts or not receiving them entirely when dealing with iMessage and SMS/MMS/group texts. not realistic to ask my friends to change what app they use for texting either. i'd love for them to switch away from imessage to whatsapp or fb messenger even but that's not gonna happen.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Got the Play Music update, the new widget is much nicer!

just too many issues with duplicate texts or not receiving them entirely when dealing with iMessage and SMS/MMS/group texts. not realistic to ask my friends to change what app they use for texting either. i'd love for them to switch away from imessage to whatsapp or fb messenger even but that's not gonna happen.

The real solution would be for Apple to fix their iMessage mess, but I guess that's not gonna happen either.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I hadn't used my n7 2013 in a while, and to my surprise it seems so sluggish now. Then I realized I've been using the m8 for a month now. Seriously, the m8 is the best performing smartphone I've ever used. No lag, blazing fast, extremely responsive. I didn't know performance like this was possible on android, and a skinned version no less. I compare it with my wife's s5 and it's not even close, her phone seems a half step slower on everything.

XBP

That image is of a photo editing tool called 'Afterlight'. I'm surprised no one did a quick google search to find out.

MarkusRJR

That image is of a photo editing tool called 'Afterlight'. I'm surprised no one did a quick google search to find out.
I Google searched the image (with the power of chrome) but couldn't find anything. Hell I even searched something along the lines of "android app august 14" and limited it to a month. No one named the app so I had no clue what to search for.

Related question: how do you reverse image search something? A friend mentioned it once and I have no idea what he meant, but it seems relevant in a situation like this.

XBP

And what makes it better than billions of other similar apps?

Nothing, as far as i know.

I Google searched the image (with the power of chrome) but couldn't find anything. Hell I even searched something along the lines of "android app august 14" and limited it to a month. No one named the app so I had no clue what to search for.

Related question: how do you reverse image search something? A friend mentioned it once and I have no idea what he meant, but it seems relevant in a situation like this.

Head over to images.google.com and press the camera icon in the search bar.

Ld9ptfG.png

If you search 'coming to android august 14' on google you should see this app being mentioned in a few results. ;)

JoeFu

Banned
I don't get why it's so hard to just post the name of the app along with that image.

It's like those stupid posts on gaming side where they post a picture from some game and everybody is supposed to know what its from for some reason.

XBP

I don't get why it's so hard to just post the name of the app along with that image.

It's like those stupid posts on gaming side where they post a picture from some game and everybody is supposed to know what its from for some reason.

That would've helped given that this is an android thread and this app is not on android. Shouldn't really expect people to know what the image is about. Ah well....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are there good and simple headphones with media controls (back, pause, skip) for Android (or the Nexus 5)? I'm looking at a shop right now and all they have is this in-ear stuff that I can't stand.

Android supports one button for at least play/pause (one click) and skip forward (two clicks). Can't seem to get skip back to work with three clicks but I don't really use that much - there are apps that will do that if you want.

So any headphones with call control (single button + mic) should be enough?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yeah I did a reverse image search of that picture and got nothing too, so thanks for clarifying what it was. Not something I'd see tying me to an OS personally, but more stuff coming out on Android is good I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom