• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
What's different about it compared to every other phone already on the market with those specs??

Nothing, but people here were saying they weren't interested because the rumors were saying that it was going to be a snapdragon 800 only.

Also, I keep in mind that most of the other flagship are huge so size is important for a lot of people including me.

Doopliss

Love the built un immersive node on the G3. Apps that don't currently support it can have the onscreen buttons removed.
Cyanoganmod has that too. It's a nice feature. I wish it would remember which apps you want full screen, though, rather than having to toggle it every time.

kehs

Banned
Pretty cool shit.

Vision Correcting screens.

Researchers from MIT and the University of California, Berkeley have created a prototype for a new display technology that can automatically correct for vision defects. Think of it as glasses for your iPad. Or your phone, or your car dashboard or any number of screen-based devices you have in your life. The point being, someday in the not too distant future you won’t need to wear glasses anymore to do certain tasks.

http://www.wired.com/2014/08/mit-de...-that-corrects-poor-vision/?mbid=social_gplus

Keep fucking those pixel chickens everyone else.

Mononoke

Banned
Hey guys, I recently got a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (my iPad mini was stolen, so I decided to try something new). I really love it, but I hate how Touch Whiz can kind of lag at times. It's not a huge deal, but eh. I've had Nexus phones before, and loved how smooth the vanilla was.

SO my question is this. I've never rooted an android device before. Can Cyanoganmod bring my tablet to bare bones google os? Or, what is the best launcher that you would suggest for my specific tab? Actually, what is a launcher (kind of confused on that). I see people suggesting Google Now launcher, but I don't think that's what I want.

EDIT: Damn, Cyanoganmod doesnt supports the new Tab S yet. Just tried using the installer. Guess I'll have to wait. I can still use a launcher though. Anyone have a launcher that is better than stock touch whiz?

Sony is going to launch the Z3 at IFA against the Note 4?

ZpcW97Y.jpg

reKon

Banned

Eh, my Nexus 7 has been amazing and I still refuse to pay over $300 for a tablet because it's a tablet (I've come a long a way from thinking that tablets are completely unnecessary). This will definitely be $400 at the least. I'm not paying that much for something I don't need. If I really want to do gaming with superb graphics, I have my heavy backlog of PS3 and PS4 games (and in the future, Wii U and maybe gaming/media center streaming PC). The thing I care most about on this thing would be any improvement in battery life (my Nexus 7 has good battery life though) and the screen size of 8 - 9 inches (this is what I care about more than anything).

Salsa

replaced my screen

before:

JKcjVOW.jpg

hWL9YRR.jpg

(thats maximum brightness)

after:

WF6X3xJ.jpg

good as new. expensive but happy with it.

only downside: dude didnt have a black piece, so I ended up with a pebble blue front

DchldVV.jpg

kind of annoying but I would have had to wait a day for a black part and I was tired of not being able to use my phone so screw it

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I hadn't used my n7 2013 in a while, and to my surprise it seems so sluggish now. Then I realized I've been using the m8 for a month now. Seriously, the m8 is the best performing smartphone I've ever used. No lag, blazing fast, extremely responsive. I didn't know performance like this was possible on android, and a skinned version no less. I compare it with my wife's s5 and it's not even close, her phone seems a half step slower on everything.

Well, compared to something running TouchWiz pretty much anything else is gonna feel really smooth and fast. But I'm sure the M8 is snappy.

Its he only android handset in the us that isnt skinned and loaded with bloat... Why have touchwiz or sense when you dont need to

You can't get the N5 in the US anymore? Pretty sure you can. And that is in fact the only 100% vanilla/unskinned Android phone, AFAIK. Motorola's stuff may be close to stock, but there are some modifications. Same with CM (OnePlus). Nitpicking, sure, but yeah.

MarkusRJR

replaced my screen

before:

JKcjVOW.jpg

hWL9YRR.jpg

(thats maximum brightness)

after:

WF6X3xJ.jpg

good as new. expensive but happy with it.

only downside: dude didnt have a black piece, so I ended up with a pebble blue front

DchldVV.jpg

kind of annoying but I would have had to wait a day for a black part and I was tired of not being able to use my phone so screw it
Holy shit, that is crazy. Why did your screen suddenly turn so fucked up like that?

Salsa

Holy shit, that is crazy. Why did your screen suddenly turn so fucked up like that?

I really dont know. I had a repair done before so one of the reasons could be that the glue used didnt dry correctly and spilled onto the screen or something, but this happened several months after that so I have no idea

posted pages back, but this was 48 hours since it started happening:

till it ended up like that first pic on the post you quoted

Well, compared to something running TouchWiz pretty much anything else is gonna feel really smooth and fast. But I'm sure the M8 is snappy.

You can't get the N5 in the US anymore? Pretty sure you can. And that is in fact the only 100% vanilla/unskinned Android phone, AFAIK. Motorola's stuff may be close to stock, but there are some modifications. Same with CM (OnePlus). Nitpicking, sure, but yeah.

Yeah that nexus 5 with average to sub par battery life that isn't even available on Verizon or US Cellular? Not everyone has the option of GSM carriers and Sprint is terrible in a lot of those areas. Moto X is the only phone on every major US Carrier and is damn close to vanilla.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

NotBacon

What's different about it compared to every other phone already on the market with those specs??

Every phone out right now has a flaw. This looks to have none.
But we will see *crosses fingers*

But the base line is, the Moto X was killer. People who actually bought it loved it.
So this is basically a Moto X, but a little bigger, still ergonomic, metal trim, bigger battery, better camera, and S801.

It's really a no brainer.

Nexus and Moto are both on the same level. The only true stock is AOSP. Nexus takes that and throws GNL on there, and other googly things. Moto takes it and puts an almost stock launcher on there, and other Moto things.

Hey guys, I recently got a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (my iPad mini was stolen, so I decided to try something new). I really love it, but I hate how Touch Whiz can kind of lag at times. It's not a huge deal, but eh. I've had Nexus phones before, and loved how smooth the vanilla was.

SO my question is this. I've never rooted an android device before. Can Cyanoganmod bring my tablet to bare bones google os? Or, what is the best launcher that you would suggest for my specific tab? Actually, what is a launcher (kind of confused on that). I see people suggesting Google Now launcher, but I don't think that's what I want.

EDIT: Damn, Cyanoganmod doesnt supports the new Tab S yet. Just tried using the installer. Guess I'll have to wait. I can still use a launcher though. Anyone have a launcher that is better than stock touch whiz?

You can always do it the manual way if you can unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery, and flash the ROM.

Launchers handle everything on your home screens and home button. Try out Nova and Google Now Launcher. Nova has more customization, GNL is simpler and has faster access to Google Now.

Mononoke

Banned
Every phone out right now has a flaw. This looks to have none.
But we will see *crosses fingers*

But the base line is, the Moto X was killer. People who actually bought it loved it.
So this is basically a Moto X, but a little bigger, still ergonomic, metal trim, bigger battery, better camera, and S801.

It's really a no brainer.

Nexus and Moto are both on the same level. The only true stock is AOSP. Nexus takes that and throws GNL on there, and other googly things. Moto takes it and puts an almost stock launcher on there, and other Moto things.

You can always do it the manual way if you can unlock the bootloader, flash a custom recovery, and flash the ROM.

Launchers handle everything on your home screens and home button. Try out Nova and Google Now Launcher. Nova has more customization, GNL is simpler and has faster access to Google Now.

I just went with the Nova launcher. No more lag, and it's more simplistic. I wasn't using the other features on Touch Whiz, so this is great. I heard Google Now has an issue with the power save mode removing saved apps on the screen. So I decide to go with Nova for now.

The only issue I have with my tablet, is that I could only get Flash to work with Firefox and Dolphin. I can't get it to work with the default Samsung Browser or Chrome. Firefox would be fine, since I can get adblock Plus to work with it. BUT it's not as fast as Chrome/Samsung's Default internet browser. The other issue is, for some reason Crunchyroll's video's does NOT properly scale on Firefox. No idea why, but the subtitles get cut off (and the playback in general lags the tablet out).

I use browsers for Crunchyroll, because the Crunchyroll app on Android is garbage. It's definitely not streaming at 1080p like it does in the browser, and the quality is noticeably worse in the app vs browser. Problem is, Crunchyroll requires Flash. I can't get it to work on Chrome or Default Samsung Browser. But I can get it to work on Firefox and Dolphin. Only the Dolphin Browser scales it properly at 1080p without cutting off the subtitles. I can't get Adblock to work on Dolphin either, and oddly Samsung's default browser is actually quicker than all the other browsers. Bleh.

So it sucks having to jump back and forth between two browsers, vs getting ONE browser just right. I've pretty much just decided to use Chrome for all my browsing, and then I will only use Dolphin for my Crunchyroll playback. Not the most..efficient thing. But it works.

VoxPop

I use Nova Prime, but have the Android L theme setup regardless.

The CM theme engine works really well. There is zero lag, or glitches that I have found so far. The themes modify the boot screen logo, keyboard layout, dial layout, the notification tray, the settings menu's etc.

You can also download themes that are virtually identical to LG G3's android skin, Touchwiz etc.

Here are some screens of the Android L theme im using (this one as a matter of fact) on my OPO (ignore the orange tint, I use twilight app):

That might give you a rough idea as to what the CM theme engine can do.

NotBacon said:
Pretty nice. They come in a pack that themes your: icons, fonts, wallpapers, lockscreen, boot animations, sounds, and system styles. But you have a theme process running at all times in the background, taking up about 20mb. Not sure if it's themeing things on the fly or what....... but I don't notice any slowdown.

Thanks guys, I'll try it out later today.

"HTC T1 will be released soon with Android L,but without Sense UI." (@upleaks)

HTC T1(a.k.a Flounder/Volantis) 64Bit Tegra processor, MDM9x25 modem(for cellular model), 4GB RAM(Elpida 2GB*2), NFC, GPS, Android L, Back Camera:8.0M IMX219 with flash. Front Camera:1.6M OV970

I'm guessing the without Sense UI confirms its a Nexus device?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah that nexus 5 with average to sub par battery life that isn't even available on Verizon or US Cellular? Not everyone has the option of GSM carriers and Sprint is terrible in a lot of those areas. Moto X is the only phone on every major US Carrier and is damn close to vanilla.

Fine, but that's not what you said.

reKon

Banned
This PCTX sounds like my type of guy...

Edit: The main reason I continue to talk about the X+1 is because people keep asking!

I don't even like talking about it on here only because you already talk about it too much.

It's still between the Moto X, next Nexus, and Xperia Z3 Compact for me.

You guys think that Google up the screen size yet again to over 5.2 inches for the new Nexus phone? I would love it if it stayed at 5 and the actually significantly improved the battery and camera software for once.

Salsa

CM camera isn't the same as the stock Google Camera

I meant the picture quality itself, both CM camera and the google cam app take pics of about the same quality, whereas the samsung camera still takes better pictures.

it's obviously because of some rendering software stuff and some contrast/brightness tricks samsung pulls internally but those are tied to the stock sammy firmware afaik so only way to get it is stock based ROMs

the main thing tho was the fact that I could not record steady 30fps/1080p on cyanogen/google camera for some reason. It had random drops.

I don't even like talking about it on here only because you already talk about it too much.

It's still between the Moto X, next Nexus, and Xperia Z3 Compact for me.

You guys think that Google up the screen size yet again to over 5.2 inches for the new Nexus phone? I would love it if it stayed at 5 and the actually significantly improved the battery and camera software for once.

The next nexus is supposed to be 5.9 in. Might want to plan on the Moto X2 or the Z3.

Moto X2 for me

KiKaL

Anyone ever have an issue where apps seem to keep closing/reopening? It's almost as if I hit the home button and then immediately re-opened my app. It's happening in all of my apps.

I uninstalled all my recent apps to see if one of them was the culprits but am still having the issue.

I am on a rooted Verizon Moto X running 4.4.2

thespot84

Anyone ever have an issue where apps seem to keep closing/reopening? It's almost as if I hit the home button and then immediately re-opened my app. It's happening in all of my apps.

I uninstalled all my recent apps to see if one of them was the culprits but am still having the issue.

I am on a rooted Verizon Moto X running 4.4.2

stock ROM? are you using art or dalvik?

The hype train is unstoppable.

You're really super annoying with your shtick. It's a fucking phone. Stop treating it like the next coming of Jesus.

And there's not even a hype train. You're artificially trying to create one or pretend that there is one, but all you do is making it worse and everyone hates you and that fucking phone for it. If Moto's pays you for that shit, I'd have fired you a long time ago.

You're really super annoying with your shtick. It's a fucking phone. Stop treating it like the next coming of Jesus.

And there's not even a hype train. You're artificially trying to create one or pretend that there is one, but all you do is making it worse and everyone hates you and that fucking phone for it. If Moto's pays you for that shit, I'd have fired you a long time ago.

take a cold shower dude

kehs

Banned

Simmer down there lil cowboy and get on the train.

OpZhEoo.jpg

NotBacon

Wow. I am truly so sorry for the emotional distress I have caused you. Here, have some koolaid.

Simmer down there lil cowboy and get on the train.
This is legitimately the best picture I have seen in a while.

Eh, NotBacon doesn't seem anywhere near the level of Pctx or whatever his name was. I could tell that dude was serious whenever he spoke about XFON, but not with Bacon; or maybe I'm just terrible at noticing these things. Eh, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom