• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT4| I/O Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdad123

I was all ready to get rid of my S5 in favor of the oneplus one, but I rooted/installed a new rom on it last week and it feels like a brand new phone.

I installed dynamic kat with the Google play edition theme and it's great. The battery brain and stutter problems I had with touch wiz are gone. I used to average a little over 4 hours of screen time on touch wiz, but right now I'm at 3 hours 50 minutes with 42% left. I can easily hit 5.5 to 6 hours screen time with this rom.

Getting rid of touchwiz was the best thing I did to this phone. Gave the oneplus one to my brother.

Yeah I'm pretty sick of TouchWiz on my Galaxy S2 after playing around with 2 Asus Memopad HD's the last few weeks.
Although the main reason is how awful the battery has been. Even with minimal usage it chews through the battery in less than 10 hours.
Will hit up CM today hopefully and see how it goes.

Criticism is not hate. Corporations do not deserve blind loyalty. Motorola are not without fault.

Tell me this without invoking a strawman or even discussing another Android OEM: Can Samsung do far better to optimize Touchwiz on their *current* hardware for speed, stutter and frame rate?

Maybe speed, stutter, and framerate are things 0.01% of people actually care about, and so Samsung would prefer to continue increasing the number of value-added software features on their devices. I mean if you HATE software features then bone-stock Android is for you. I enjoy having extra features, and the UI occasionally hitching when I use my phone doesn't send me into hysterics and make me want to smash it on the floor.

Can Samsung improve their optimization of Touchwiz? Of course, just look at how Sense has evolved in recent years. But the way people in AndroidGAF act, it's like if the UI isn't continuously at 60fps 100% of the time and apps launch before your finger hits the glass it's literally a crime against humanity. I mean the worst UI smoothness hipsters have gone to Windows Phone because it's literally more important to them for the UI to be smooth than to have useful functions and apps. I can't understand that mentality at all.

Smartphones are tools, and I chose the tool which does the most useful things that I need to do in my life. My Note II has a lot of useful built-in functions, and the battery literally lasts forever. I don't sit there and swipe the launcher back and forth all day to check if it's moving at 60fps. I don't time how long it takes for an app to launch. That sort of thing is irrelevant to me.

Blablurn

Got a lil bored of my LGG2. To prevent a stupid und unnessescary purchase of a new phone I tried to change the UI a lil haha. The feel of 'something new'

2014-08-0921.07.09ymb6i.png

I ike the result tho.

And I would like to kick my ass for letting my OnePlus invite expire some weeks ago. I saw resale prices for the phone or the invites...

my oh my.

Husker86

I am itching so bad for a new phone. Had my Nexus 5 since November and that is a really long streak for me.

I'll be getting the new iPhone since I am working on multiplatform development (and I like having both and iPhone and flagship Android phone), but I can't stop this desire for a new Android phone. Hopefully the L update holds me off until the next Nexus.

Maybe speed, stutter, and framerate are things 0.01% of people actually care about, and so Samsung would prefer to continue increasing the number of value-added software features on their devices. I mean if you HATE software features then bone-stock Android is for you. I enjoy having extra features, and the UI occasionally hitching when I use my phone doesn't send me into hysterics and make me want to smash it on the floor.

Can Samsung improve their optimization of Touchwiz? Of course, just look at how Sense has evolved in recent years. But the way people in AndroidGAF act, it's like if the UI isn't continuously at 60fps 100% of the time and apps launch before your finger hits the glass it's literally a crime against humanity. I mean the worst UI smoothness hipsters have gone to Windows Phone because it's literally more important to them for the UI to be smooth than to have useful functions and apps. I can't understand that mentality at all.

Smartphones are tools, and I chose the tool which does the most useful things that I need to do in my life. My Note II has a lot of useful built-in functions, and the battery literally lasts forever. I don't sit there and swipe the launcher back and forth all day to check if it's moving at 60fps. I don't time how long it takes for an app to launch. That sort of thing is irrelevant to me.

It's amazing how even a simple question requires some passionate defense on your part of Samsung, a need to attack stock Android (which wasn't even mentioned) a need to downplay smooth UI performance and a need to justify your own purchase.

A simple, "I love the software that Samsung offer and it would be even better if they could further optimize the UI for speed, responsiveness and frame rate" would have sufficed.

I'm loving the G3. It's soo good to finally have I phone I'm satisfied with, after a long and tiresome process of returning and selling the M8, OPO and S5.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm loving the G3. It's soo good to finally have I phone I'm satisfied with, after a long and tiresome process of returning and selling the M8, OPO and S5.
Should have got the G3 prime.

Groof

It's amazing how even a simple question requires some passionate defense on your part of Samsung, a need to attack stock Android (which wasn't even mentioned) a need to downplay smooth UI performance and a need to justify your own purchase.

A simple, "I love the software that Samsung offer and it would be even better if they could further optimize the UI for speed, responsiveness and frame rate" would have sufficed.

ijWQxlLdlJq3w.gif

Half the fun is telling others that they're wrong!

Also, we're at the TouchWiz vs Stock cycle again.
What comes next?

Hasney

I was so gloriously happy when I got rid of TouchWiz on my GS4. I don;t even see the point of it since it doesn't add anything, just another list of reasons why Samsung should never develop their own software.

I'm still getting over the horror of using an early Samsung smart TV, which doesn't help.

Chorazin

Got a lil bored of my LGG2. To prevent a stupid und unnessescary purchase of a new phone I tried to change the UI a lil haha. The feel of 'something new'

I ike the result tho.

And I would like to kick my ass for letting my OnePlus invite expire some weeks ago. I saw resale prices for the phone or the invites...

my oh my.

Link to that wallpaper please!

Does LTE-A require the spec bump in the phones, or did they just throw it in because they can in a more expensive phone?

If you watch the video, it's for a specific Korean carrier. I don't think for a second the spec bump (other than the need for a radio that supports cat-6 speeds) was needed. It's a way to justify the new variant's existence beyond just faster LTE speeds. And it's too soon for proper sequels to the GS5 or G3.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I was all ready to get rid of my S5 in favor of the oneplus one, but I rooted/installed a new rom on it last week and it feels like a brand new phone.

I installed dynamic kat with the Google play edition theme and it's great. The battery brain and stutter problems I had with touch wiz are gone. I used to average a little over 4 hours of screen time on touch wiz, but right now I'm at 3 hours 50 minutes with 42% left. I can easily hit 5.5 to 6 hours screen time with this rom.

Getting rid of touchwiz was the best thing I did to this phone. Gave the oneplus one to my brother.

It's funny what a revelation it always seems to be to people when they get rid of TouchWiz. Wow, an Android phone can actually be smooth and non-bloated! It's a shame that Samsung's phones sell so well. I'd much rather live in a world where stock (or close) Android ruled.

Hasney

If you watch the video, it's for a specific Korean carrier. I don't think for a second the spec bump (other than the need for a radio that supports cat-6 speeds) was needed. It's a way to justify the new variant's existence beyond just faster LTE speeds. And it's too soon for proper sequels to the GS5 or G3.

I did watch the video, was just wondering if it needed more CPU as well for the technology for any reason or more RAM for bloated drivers or something. Makes sense just to bump them up anyway since the GS5 has a better screen to keep up with the G3.

Eanan

How is CM browser so much faster at rendering pages than chrome etc. Its a brilliant browser. I recommend it.

NotBacon

On screen buttons vs Physical buttons?

SD cards vs integrated memory?

Amoled vs LCD?

Metal vs Plastic?

Tech Specs vs Experience?

I've probably missed one....

Physical, SD card, LCD, plastic, tech specs.
Obviously.

It's funny what a revelation it always seems to be to people when they get rid of TouchWiz. Wow, an Android phone can actually be smooth and non-bloated! It's a shame that Samsung's phones sell so well. I'd much rather live in a world where stock (or close) Android ruled.

It's sad considering stock Android is an actual competitor to iOS.
The majority of iOS ship jumpers emigrate to Touchwiz, thinking it's the only real option, and that's the shitty version of Android they complain about to their iOS friends before they switch back :(

Marco1

I am wanting a new android phone and looking at the htc one m8. Unfortunately the price is still premium in the UK.
Is this still a great phone or am I better waiting?
Thanks.

Physical, SD card, LCD, plastic, tech specs.
Obviously.

It's sad considering stock Android is an actual competitor to iOS.
The majority of iOS ship jumpers emigrate to Touchwiz, thinking it's the only real option, and that's the shitty version of Android they complain about to their iOS friends before they switch back :(

+1

As someone who does wireless tech support there are no words to explain how many people call in swearing this is the last samsung phone they will get or "I should have just got an iphone" or just cussing samsung out in general.

Poor casuals. They never had a chance.

NotBacon

As someone who does wireless tech support there are no words to explain how many people call in swearing this is the last samsung phone they will get or "I should have just got an iphone" or just cussing samsung out in general.

Poor casuals. They never had a chance.

+2

samsung amoled vs motorola amoled

I would tell you that all phone AMOLED displays are made by Samsung, including the ones used in Moto devices, but that would go against the narrative of AndroidGAF where Samsung is like the Hitler of phones.

So yes, Moto AMOLED is far superior to Samsung AMOLED and the difference is visibly obvious. This is the same as how the plastic used in Moto and Sony phones is clearly superior to the plastic that Samsung uses.

I would tell you that all phone AMOLED displays are made by Samsung, including the ones used in Moto devices, but that would go against the narrative of AndroidGAF where Samsung is like the Hitler of phones.

So yes, Moto AMOLED is far superior to Samsung AMOLED and the difference is visibly obvious. This is the same as how the plastic used in Moto and Sony phones is clearly superior to the plastic that Samsung uses.

s/Moto/Nokia and the story remains the same.

NotBacon

It is widely known Samsung makes hardware that many other OEMs use...

Oh and tell me with a straight face that the plastic used on the S4 and S5 is as nice as that of the Nexus 5, Moto X, and Nokia line.

Edit: and OPPO

Hasney

I got a cheap Nokia as a backup phone when my S4 was messing up and it does feel much better. Shame it's a tiny phone that runs Windows or I'd have switched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom