• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm with AJ. Should have just made to Edge model standard if they believe in it. Then make the edge model the price of the regular model.

Wreav

Banned
I'm with AJ. Should have just made to Edge model standard if they believe in it. Then make the edge model the price of the regular model.

Plenty of people can see through the gimmick and don't want a more fragile phone for negligible benefits.

Only people buying the Edge are people that care what their phone looks likes, not how it functions.

Hasney

Only people buying the Edge are people that care what their phone looks likes, not how it functions.

Well that's not going to be the case based on those reviews. It's faster and has better battery life, so if I wanted the better functioning one, it would be the Edge.

Wreav

Banned
Buying a more fragile phone because of what, 50mah difference, on a phone that supports wireless and turbo charging?

Come on, you're better than that.

Also, I'm not judging the performance between the phones until I read more reviews.

Husker86

Plenty of people can see through the gimmick and don't want a more fragile phone for negligible benefits.

Umm, what's wrong with caring about how a phone feels/looks?

I am also pretty confident in myself as far as not dropping my phone goes. If I haven't dropped my iPhone 6, I'm pretty sure I won't drop anything. I'll probably get the $5/month squaretrade plan on my next device anyway.

I had a lot more hands on time with both S6 models side by side the other day and I'd get the normal S6 if I was getting one of them. The edge was cool and it does feel better swiping from edges but overall I just don't see it being worth the price differences and I'm not sure what the case situation is like (glass FTL).

Avixph

TMo S6/Edge off contract prices

you didn't need that 2nd kidney anyways

What did you expect to pay?

Here are T-Mobile's prices:
  • Galaxy S6 32GB – $0 down + $28.33/month x 24, $679.92
  • Galaxy S6 64GB – $99.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $759.99
  • Galaxy S6 128GB – $199.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $859.99
  • Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB – $0 down + $32.49/month x 24, $779.76
  • Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB – $99.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $859.83
  • Galaxy S6 Edge 128GB – $199.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $959.83

MercuryLS

Banned

My biggest worry is that video content will look odd and slightly distorted on a screen with curves like that. Also holding the Edge in landscape might be uncomfortable with such a thin frame. It is undeniably stunning looking though.

Avixph

What did you expect to pay?

Here are T-Mobile's prices:
  • Galaxy S6 32GB – $0 down + $28.33/month x 24, $679.92
  • Galaxy S6 64GB – $99.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $759.99
  • Galaxy S6 128GB – $199.99 down + $27.50/month x 24, $859.99
  • Galaxy S6 Edge 32GB – $0 down + $32.49/month x 24, $779.76
  • Galaxy S6 Edge 64GB – $99.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $859.83
  • Galaxy S6 Edge 128GB – $199.99 down + $31.66/month x 24, $959.83
Another thing to consider is that if you purchase the Galaxy S6 or Galaxy S6 edge from T-Mobile you get a one year membership of Netflix which is valued at around $106.

Vanillalite

Nothing, but the mantra of SAMMY SHOULD GO EDGE ONLY means that everyone's primary concern is how their phone looks/feels, which is false.

Again I said go with it if Sammy believes in it. If Sammy doesn't believe in it then I'm not sure why they should have any model with the edge to begin with.

Wreav

Banned
Again I said go with it if Sammy believes in it. If Sammy doesn't believe in it then I'm not sure why they should have any model with the edge to begin with.

Why should any company have more than 1 sku, then? If apple believes in the 6+, go with it.

Worse, if LG believes in the flex, fucking go with it.

People buy dumb things all the time, that's how these companies stay in business.

MercuryLS

Banned
Why should any company have more than 1 sku, then? If apple believes in the 6+, go with it.

Yeah, I'm glad they give us a choice. I don't see the practical benefit of the Edge, it looks cool, but all I see are downsides compared to the regular S6 (including price). I'd rather have a choice.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, I'm glad they give us a choice. I don't see the practical benefit of the Edge, it looks cool, but all I see are downsides compared to the regular S6 (including price). I'd rather have a choice.

Yep, $100 more and the niceness of the curved edge will disappear when I put a case on it. Plus no killer feature for the edge. I'm glad the edge wasn't the only model too.

Vanillalite

Worse, if LG believes in the flex, fucking go with it.

People buy dumb things all the time, that's how these companies stay in business.

6 to 6+ was a size difference though. If you are gonna have a similar sized phone I think they should stick to 1 SKU.

I actually said the Flex was stupid in the hangout just yesterday. Go with 1 flagship and stick with it unless you want to go 1 phablet and one non phablet.

Android manufacturers have trouble as it is. No need to create brand confusion plus it splits your marketing.

MercuryLS

Banned
Yep, $100 more and the niceness of the curved edge will disappear when I put a case on it. Plus no killer feature for the edge. I'm glad the edge wasn't the only model too.

I don't get why the edge features are exclusive to that model (except for edge lighting), I get that they want to differentiate the two models but I would like the edge clock on the regular S6.

When you have two models, sales are usually higher. It's a psychology thing (an inferior product makes a superior product look good, even if the superior product is shit too).

Witness how the S6 looks amazing next to the M9 and our opinions of it improved, even though the S6 by itself didn't really wow before the M9 was announced.

Man 5.1 seriously broke video playback on my Nexus 10 through Play Movies & TV. I am consistently able to get it to crash and reboot even immediately after a factory image install of base 5.1. I thought it was settings or cache, so factory reset, same issue. Flashed new stock image, same issue, flashed and set up as new device, didn't root, restore data, install apps or updates, same issue. I can start video playback but the app will hang and eventually force close, or maybe not - that part is weird, depending on the video chosen. While the app is hanging if I switch to Youtube and play a video the tablet will reboot. Consistently.

Ugh the only reason I would even consider the Edge is due to the battery usage being better. Will see if other reviews are the same as Phonearena's.

Vanillalite

Ugh the only reason I would even consider the Edge is due to the battery usage being better. Will see if other reviews are the same as Phonearena's.

It's early so hard to judge, BUT the review above shows a clear performance advantage for the Edge.

I'm not saying it makes sense, but those benchmarks aren't close. The Edge clear winner.

Saiyan-Rox

Have to admit if cyanogen themselves or someone manages to build an asop version of android and make use of those edges in the S6 edge I think I'd be all over it myself.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
When you have two models, sales are usually higher. It's a psychology thing (an inferior product makes a superior product look good, even if the superior product is shit too).
Meh. I don't think that works for phones where there are already a ton of different models.

LOL at Wreav discounting look and feel of a device that is on your person basically 100% of your waking life. Case design is irrelevant consideration for Samsung. Edge is the only S6. People who get the old style one are Luddites.

Wreav

Banned
I discounted look and feel as the primary decision criteria for a purchase for 100% of people. I'd think reading would be easier for you on that N6 screen.

CronoShot

I can't decide between the white and black S6 Edge. The black one looks nicer, but the white one would hide fingerprints much easier.

Decisions, decisions...

Wreav

Banned
Agree with you pyro, on the one caveat that Apple does white really, really well. Their designs are reminiscent of classic milk glass .

Top Bottom