• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

tzare

My 1st Gen Moto G was okay for a while but now it seems like it can barely run the web browser or play a podcast through Beyond Pod without frequent crashes. Listening to a podcast or music and have a text come through? Crash. Ugh. Love the battery life though...

I have no idea what phone to get to replace it. No one sounds happy with anything. Any suggestions for a mid-tier phone?

Ascend G7

OmegaFax

I went and bought an LG G2 today when I saw the $190 eBay daily deal. I still have a Nexus 4 and Moto G. Nexus 5 prices weren't moving and I could have got a OnePlus One but the G2's specs were pretty competitive with OnePlus. Once I get CM12 running on it, I'll be set.

I liked the Nexus 4 ... but it didn't have LTE. The Moto G was fine. It had LTE, a nice battery, and expandable storage but CM12 in particular didn't run great even on the latest nightlies (least for me). The screen also felt a bit small. NFC is another thing I've come to appreciate lately with tap and pay. Got tired of choosing between LTE and battery life or having tap and pay. Moto G doesn't have NFC unfortunately.

So who here is getting the S6 or S6 Edge?

Probably gonna stick with the regular S6. The Edge looks awesome, and probably feels great in the hand, but durability is imperative for me and I'd worry about the screen cracking if you drop it and it lands on the edge. Black sapphire or gold platinum, 64gb.

I don't think many developers will make use of the edge. Many are not taking advantage of Note 4 multitasking and S-pen as it is. (the ones that do are awesome though).

A lot of apps are Multi-Window enabled. The ones that aren't usually work with Multi-Window if you use a 3rd party app to force add them. I haven't really mucked around with S-Pen much as I don't draw but I know stuff like Sketchbook Mobile has worked with S-Pen ever since the Galaxy Note II launched almost 3 years ago now.

kmfdmpig

I updated my Galaxy Tab S (which I absolutely love for reading comics) from Kit Kat to Lollipop and I can't delete files from the SD card from within Perfect Viewer. Has anyone had the same issue or is it a weird fluke with the program in Lollipop?

I know in Kit Kat you can only do that type of thing if you're rooted, but thought it was meant to be fixed in Lollipop to allow apps access to delete files.

A lot of apps are Multi-Window enabled. The ones that aren't usually work with Multi-Window if you use a 3rd party app to force add them. I haven't really mucked around with S-Pen much as I don't draw but I know stuff like Sketchbook Mobile has worked with S-Pen ever since the Galaxy Note II launched almost 3 years ago now.

Not enough are multi-windowed :( I'll look into those apps which force multi-window.

Drawing with S-pen is not my main use. Usually I like highlighting things or image selecting and want to send it to an app. Not many choices to send it to though, other than the pre-installed apps and a few others.

Furyous

So who here is getting the S6 or S6 Edge?

I wouldn't use a Samsung smartphone if someone gave it to me along with 6 million doge. Honestly, it's way too early unless you absolutely need a phone today to purchase an S6/S6 Edge. LG, Motorola, One Plus, Oppo, Xiaomi, and Sony have yet to announce their flagships. Besides, the rumor about the stock android G4 has me saving money as we speak.

I wouldn't use a Samsung smartphone if someone gave it to me along with 6 million doge. Honestly, it's way too early unless you absolutely need a phone today to purchase an S6/S6 Edge. LG, Motorola, One Plus, Oppo, Xiaomi, and Sony have yet to announce their flagships. Besides, the rumor about the stock android G4 has me saving money as we speak.

Here I can tell you exactly what these phones will be like and save you a few months of waiting:

LG: Fake metal and janky UI
Moto: Shit battery and shit camera
Oneplus: Lol you can't get one
Oppo: Who gives a shit?
Xiaomi: No one outside of China gives a shit
Sony: "Sup here's a Z3 but we put some more metal in the sides. Z4!!!!!"

I'm trying to unlock/root my phone. the thing is, I think i've done it already. way back when my N4 came out, but then I updated to lollipop and I think it locked itself again.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-4/general/nexus-4-guide-unlock-bootloader-root-t2266654

I'm using this guide. my bootloader menu already looks like the photo in the OP at that link. it says LOCK State - Unlocked already, but if I try to go to recovery mode to install cyanogenmod, it says no command, and nothing loads...I also downloaded rootchecker basic, and it says I'm no longer rooted, even though my phone says unlocked.

Am I screwed or is there a way around this?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Here I can tell you exactly what these phones will be like and save you a few months of waiting:

LG: Fake metal and janky UI
Moto: Shit battery and shit camera
Oneplus: Lol you can't get one
Oppo: Who gives a shit?
Xiaomi: No one outside of China gives a shit
Sony: "Sup here's a Z3 but we put some more metal in the sides. Z4!!!!!"

G3 on Lollipop and UI is fine here.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Google need to fix the rogue app and performance degradation issues. A flagship android phone is as fast and smooth as any iPhone, but after a few months of app installs, I was already experiencing significantly reduced battery life. 8 months in, I had horrible bugs that slowed my phone down and affected daily usability. By ten months, I was wiping everything off my phone and starting over. Either that, or smash my android flagship against the wall. My wife, using a different flagship, had pretty much the same experience. Which app (s)? Was it an update to an app? Who knows, but it shouldn't matter. I don't feel like spending time troubleshooting my phone if I haven't done anything other than install apps from official sources. This isn't a windows machine.

Toki767

Google need to fix the rogue app and performance degradation issues. A flagship android phone is as fast and smooth as any iPhone, but after a few months of app installs, I was already experiencing significantly reduced battery life. 8 months in, I had horrible bugs that slowed my phone down and affected daily usability. By ten months, I was wiping everything off my phone and starting over. Either that, or smash my android flagship against the wall. My wife, using a different flagship, had pretty much the same experience. Which app (s)? Was it an update to an app? Who knows, but it shouldn't matter. I don't feel like spending time troubleshooting my phone if I haven't done anything other than install apps from official sources. This isn't a windows machine.

It's basically Play Services. Some versions Google fixes battery drain. Some versions it introduces new battery drain.

manfestival

does anyone know if the bigger batter for the edge translates to longer overall battery life or is it because the screen needs it more?

Cyrillus

Well I still don't know what exactly caused the issue, but it's now gone away from all my devices.

I factory reset my Nexus 6 and the wifi connection issue went away, so I figured it must be an app causing the issue. I one by one installed all the apps that were also on my Nexus 7 (which was having the wifi connection issue), but still couldn't get the Nexus 6 to reproduce the problem. So, I factory reset my Nexus 7, and the problem disappeared for it too.

Still not entirely sure what caused the issue, but glad it's gone.

Rock solid wireless connection with the Nexus 6 now too, with the fastest wireless speeds I've gotten on a phone so far:
7p1atcol.jpg

reKon

Banned
Well I still don't know what exactly caused the issue, but it's now gone away from all my devices.

I factory reset my Nexus 6 and the wifi connection issue went away, so I figured it must be an app causing the issue. I one by one installed all the apps that were also on my Nexus 7 (which was having the wifi connection issue), but still couldn't get the Nexus 6 to reproduce the problem. So, I factory reset my Nexus 7, and the problem disappeared for it too.

Still not entirely sure what caused the issue, but glad it's gone.

Rock solid wireless connection with the Nexus 6 now too, with the fastest wireless speeds I've gotten on a phone so far:
7p1atcol.jpg

wtf, is this shit? where are you?

BLU, Huawei, Samsung, Sharp and Pantech flagships gotta drop too.

Amagon

Question in regarding with the T-Mobile family plan if anybody could answer it. Going to return the Samsung Avant I bought as a second line and had plan to purchase a Gaffers T-Mobile S3 to use as the second line. I'm still in the 14 day to return the Avant but would I hit any roadblocks using the S3 for the second line since I didn't bought it from T-Mobile direct?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If you buy the S6 non Edge instead of the Edge, you are a terrible person and you should feel bad.

I don't know, if someone would tell me Android Chrome is actually some IE5 or 6 android port from 10 years ago, I would believe them.

kIdMuScLe

Question in regarding with the T-Mobile family plan if anybody could answer it. Going to return the Samsung Avant I bought as a second line and had plan to purchase a Gaffers T-Mobile S3 to use as the second line. I'm still in the 14 day to return the Avant but would I hit any roadblocks using the S3 for the second line since I didn't bought it from T-Mobile direct?

Lol no, you just need to activate the t-mobile sim card for your second line and your good to go

mrklaw

MrArseFace
got my Z3 and returned my Z3C. Z3 is a much nicer size for me.

when I returned my Z3C, the O2 store had a lot of Galaxy 6 point of sale including about 5-6 live demo units of both the 6 and 6 edge. The edge looks really nice in person, and even though I have no idea what practical use the curved part has, it looks cool and makes swiping between homescreens feel amazing.

having more than 1 image shouldn't have been a thing although I can see people complaining if they had to wait longer for the update for Google to combine them together first.

Heh I saw that xD the N9 isn't getting much praise.

I bought a N9 and ended up returning it. I found it uncomfortable to hold, and that the on screen buttons made it just small enough to be uncomfortable to read magazines and large PDF's on it. The build quality sucked, and had way too much light bleeding around the bezel and was oddly sluggish in terms of performance.

Wreav

Banned
I bought a N9 and ended up returning it. I found it uncomfortable to hold, and that the on screen buttons made it just small enough to be uncomfortable to read magazines and large PDF's on it. The build quality sucked, and had way too much light bleeding around the bezel and was oddly sluggish in terms of performance.

Should have just read the thread and saved yourself the troubles.

My N9 has zero build quality issues and I find the size perfect. Really the only negative is the performance. Google needs to fix this already. I assume (and hope) it's why 5.1 is taking so long.

Top Bottom