• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Saiyan-Rox

It's a known issue.

How the fuck Google shipped the platform with it like that I have no idea, but it's not just you.

Good it's not only me but yeah wtf is this? it's secondary function is casting and it does it in such a crap quality! they didn't even address it with 5.1 -_-

Husker86

In 6 months, we're going to see a slew of shattered Edges, ala the iPhone 1, and the poor schlubs who have to lie in their big bed of bad decisions.

A case that covers the Edge. Brilliant!

You seem to be really bothered that people are excited about trying something different.

While I hate cases and won't be getting one (if I pay the inflated price for the Edge at all), the Edge cases I have seen don't cover the curved edge...that would be like covering part of the screen on a normal phone.

Wreav

Banned
You seem to be really bothered that people are excited about trying something different.

While I hate cases and won't be getting one (if I pay the inflated price for the Edge at all), the Edge cases I have seen don't cover the curved edge...that would be like covering part of the screen on a normal phone.

The point is any case for the Edge won't protect from side impacts, so again, it's gonna be shattered glass city. I can't wait.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The point is any case for the Edge won't protect from side impacts, so again, it's gonna be shattered glass city. I can't wait.

It's odd that you can't wait for misfortune to fall on people o_O

It sounds like the S6 Edge ran over your dog or something.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Glad to hear people are jumping on the Edge. Good work!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honestly I care more about a new Nexus tablet this year than a phone. My G3 is fine, but my Nexus 7 can run into some issues sometimes. For general browsing it's more than fine, but I game on my tablet way more than my phone, and it can suffer fps issues.

Wreav

Banned
Blind consumerism or just consumerism? I believe you're talking out of your ass.

Knowing what I know about how Gorilla Glass loves to shatter, and how often I drop my own phones on their fully protected sides, I think anyone who claims that the Edge is a feature isn't being totally honest with themselves.

Does it look kinda cool when the screen is off? Fuck yeah. Is it totally a gimmick? Fuck yeah. Will it leave 50% of the side of the phone exposed to accidental bumps and falls? Fuck yeah.

A case that covers the Edge. Brilliant!
It doesn't cover the edge lol that's the point :p

I used to go caseless and still do when I'm at home, but the camera on the Note 4 protudes outwards so any drop is = death for the lens. I think the front and sides would be okay though.

NotBacon

Will wait until I get hands-on with the edge before I make any more comments about the edges.

Preordering S6 at 10am once Best Buy opens. First Android phone since being strictly iPhone since iPhone 1 launch.
I'm pretty excited to jump into the whole rooting game.

If you really want to just get into the rooting scene because of some of the abilities or you're just love tinkering, go ahead.

But if you want to do it just because you've heard of it, and don't have any specific reasons, I would hold off. It's just becoming less and less necessary these days. But if after a week you feel like it's missing something rooting would provide, yeah sure go ahead.

Husker86

Will wait until I get hands-on with the edge before I make any more comments about the edges.

If you really want to just get into the rooting scene because of some of the abilities or you're just love tinkering, go ahead.

But if you want to do it just because you've heard of it, and don't have any specific reasons, I would hold off. It's just becoming less and less necessary these days. But if after a week you feel like it's missing something rooting would provide, yeah sure go ahead.

I agree with this. I used to be a ROM addict. Then it went to just rooting, and now I unlock my Nexus bootloader when I get it, just in case I decide to root, and don't even end up rooting anymore.

I will say that xposed Framework with...oh man, I can't even remember the module name anymore...anyway, it had some neat tweaks.

MercuryLS

Banned
Knowing what I know about how Gorilla Glass loves to shatter, and how often I drop my own phones on their fully protected sides, I think anyone who claims that the Edge is a feature isn't being totally honest with themselves.

Does it look kinda cool when the screen is off? Fuck yeah. Is it totally a gimmick? Fuck yeah. Will it leave 50% of the side of the phone exposed to accidental bumps and falls? Fuck yeah.

While I'm not as militant about my opinion as you are. I kinda agree, its cool from an aesthetic perspective but there are some downsides to it compared to the regular S6. Its probably worth trying it first before getting it, and with more exposed glass it's probably less durable. The biggest downside seems to be comfort from the impressions I've read, I also use my phone in landscape a lot and the thin frame on the side will no doubt be uncomfortable to hold for in that position for extended periods of time. Also something that people haven't mentioned that I've read/seen is that there's a weird green cast to the left and right edge of the screen on white backgrounds on the S6 Edge that isn't there on the regular S6. Considering how Mich content I read on a white background, that would drive me crazy.

I will always 100% recommend a case on any phone, the style of it makes no difference at all. This isn't blind consumerism when its considered a good phone.

Wreav

Banned
I will always 100% recommend a case on any phone, the style of it makes no difference at all. This isn't blind consumerism when its considered a good phone.

The rest of the phone is a slam dunk, of course. The internals being good have nothing to do with the terrible decision to make the better phone of the two much more dangerous to use day to day, especially at the premium price point they're putting it at.

Avixph

I got to try out both the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 edge at my local T-Mobile store and I can say that they were thin, light weight and cold to the touch but it still felt good in the hand. A problem I had with them is that the volume buttons are a bit too high on the device when compared to the power/sleep button which made it a bit uncomfortable to hold but I'm sure I will get used to it. Touchwiz on the device was as fast as Samsung advertised and activating the camera app was just as fast.

Also here's a gif of the evolution of the Galaxy S phones:
ygspVoD.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

OK, Urkel.

Went to Best Buy and tried out the new Galaxies. Almost definitely going to go with the regular S6 in black. The Edge just didn't feel right in the hand, it didn't help that the floor model had tape along the edges that messed up the feel of swiping, but the regular one just feel so much better. And that black, my God! The best black I have ever seen! In the right conditions it could look either black, dark charcoal, or dark navy blue, just mesmerizing! And really not a finger print magnet at all, I was trying to make the back look smudged but it still stayed very clean looking. Last thing, the camera is amazing. Opens instantly, takes perfect pictures every time just like the iPhone.

MercuryLS

Banned
Went to Best Buy and tried out the new Galaxies. Almost definitely going to go with the regular S6 in black. The Edge just didn't feel right in the hand, it didn't help that the floor model had tape along the edges that messed up the feel of swiping, but the regular one just feel so much better. And that black, my God! The best black I have ever seen! In the right conditions it could look either black, dark charcoal, or dark navy blue, just mesmerizing! And really not a finger print magnet at all, I was trying to make the back look smudged but it still stayed very clean looking. Last thing, the camera is amazing. Opens instantly, takes perfect pictures every time just like the iPhone.

The black sapphire color is so nice, I love how it changes shades from black to dark blue depending on how the light catches it. I can't wait to try it out myself.

Top Bottom