• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Gambit61

So I'm guessing you can't preorder the S6 for Verizon at BestBuy yet. I wonder if they will have any wireless chargers left by the time preorders are available lol.

Fuck cases

Nekkid all the way

I fucking hate using naked phones. Feels completely unprotected, and most phones feel too thin and slippery naked. 90% of the people I see with naked phones have broken screens. I can't help but feel they got what they deserved.

edit: opps, didn't mean to double post.

srst

Fuck cases

Nekkid all the way

I said the same for the longest time until it happened last week.
vXQbSh8.jpg

longdi

Banned
Are you guys going to put a glass protector on S6?

My Note4 glass protector is terribly mismatched due to the curvy 2.5D screen. Same as my brother IP6. They couldn't cover the whole screen. Even using a plastic protector will still leave some air gaps.

Wtf with 2.5D glass? Unless they can guarantee Gorillaz Glass will never scratch(micro-scratches), i wouldn't use my phones without a screen protector.

Z2 flat glass for life!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I Pre-ordered the S6 for my sister. 64GB too.

I'll look into some cases linked in this thread to have one ready for her.

I'm still going naked on the Note 4 though <3

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
LOL at treating your phone like Anfernee Hardaway, Grant Hill, Derek Rose.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
does anyone know if there is a way to get android to work in-car more like windows phone? Two things specifically would be fantastic

1) reading out my incoming texts. When I get a text on windows phone, the phone 'calls' me and auto-answers, and tells me I have a text from 'xxx' and then I can use voice controls to read/ignore/reply.

2) dialling cortana. When I sync my contacts, windows phone adds a number for 'cortana'. If I ring this from my car, it is automatically answered by the phone and I can use cortana to eg set a reminder etc.

Number (1) is the most useful, (2) would be a bonus

Also I don't understand why Google now tries to be smart with parking mode, using change of speed etc to guess if I'm driving or have just parked. Most people will be connected via Bluetooth to their car so why not let me choose a BT device and then when I connect to it, consider that 'in car', and when I disconnect consider that 'parked'.

Talon

Was listening to the Vergecast. Nilay saying, "I would buy the shit out of an updated Nexus 5 with a better camera."

So would I. T_T
LOL at treating your phone like Anfernee Hardaway, Grant Hill, Derek Rose.
This is maybe my favorite post by Bboy in this thread's history.

3phemeral

does anyone know if there is a way to get android to work in-car more like windows phone? Two things specifically would be fantastic

1) reading out my incoming texts. When I get a text on windows phone, the phone 'calls' me and auto-answers, and tells me I have a text from 'xxx' and then I can use voice controls to read/ignore/reply.

2) dialling cortana. When I sync my contacts, windows phone adds a number for 'cortana'. If I ring this from my car, it is automatically answered by the phone and I can use cortana to eg set a reminder etc.

Number (1) is the most useful, (2) would be a bonus

Also I don't understand why Google now tries to be smart with parking mode, using change of speed etc to guess if I'm driving or have just parked. Most people will be connected via Bluetooth to their car so why not let me choose a BT device and then when I connect to it, consider that 'in car', and when I disconnect consider that 'parked'.

1. Moto X will automatically do that. But if you don't have that, seems Tasker has you covered. High learning curve, though.
  2. Not sure if I'm reading this right, but it sounds like you're calling Cortana to do tasks for you. All you need to do for that is use Google Now. Activate Google Now and say,
  • "Set a reminder to..." or
  • "set an appointment on X to do X."
There's a bunch of stuff you can do in this fashion.

Talon

How could you forget Greg Oden????
I'm going to give you a moment to realize the error of your post.

Hint, all of those other players were top 5 players in the league at a given time before injuries ravaged them - RIP smooth Grant Hill T_T. Oden was never even a top 5 center.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This is maybe my favorite post by Bboy in this thread's history.

I don't know how to interpret this post. I will take it as someone picking their favorite Beatles song.

Hasney

Case for work as it has a stand so I can watch things and for when I go out with drunken hands, naked everywhere else. Nexus 6 just feels far too nice to keep it in a case all the time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
  1. Moto X will automatically do that. But if you don't have that, seems Tasker has you covered. High learning curve, though.
  2. Not sure if I'm reading this right, but it sounds like you're calling Cortana to do tasks for you. All you need to do for that is use Google Now. Activate Google Now and say,
  • "Set a reminder to..." or
  • "set an appointment on X to do X."
There's a bunch of stuff you can do in this fashion.

For the second one, I'm pressing a button on my car to speed dial a number, which cortana answers (no actual call is made). So I don't need to pick my phone up and press a button or unlock it. That's less important though - I'll check out tasker, thanks

Guys, S6 or iPhone 6?

Can get a new phone in two weeks. Currently using a LG G2.

I really want a phone with a good camera, and from what I've read those two phones both have very good cameras, the S6 maybe even more so.

Another plus of the S6: Screen seems to be top notch.

Design wise, I like the iPhone better.

Hasney

Guys, S6 or iPhone 6?

Can get a new phone in two weeks. Currently using a LG G2.

I really want a phone with a god camera, and from what I've read those two phones both have very good cameras, the S6 maybe even more so.

Another plus of the S6: Screen seems to be top notch.

Design wise, I like the iPhone better.

If camera is your main concern and you don't want to go phablet, go S6. It seems to beat the iPhone handily but it's close between it and the Plus.

3phemeral

For the second one, I'm pressing a button on my car to speed dial a number, which cortana answers (no actual call is made). So I don't need to pick my phone up and press a button or unlock it. That's less important though - I'll check out tasker, thanks
Oh, in that case, the only equivalent is any phone that has voice-activated Google Now. The other option is launcher-specific: Google Now and Nova launcher both have the capability of responding to "OK Google" to respond to your requests provided your phone is unlocked and you're on your launcher's screen (or Google Now's main page), but I don't think there's anything currently where you can press a button to activate a similar feature. Unless someone else knows.

If camera is your main concern and you don't want to go phablet, go S6. It seems to beat the iPhone handily but it's close between it and the Plus.

Not really interested in phablets yeah. I will wait for some more reviews of the S6, especially battery life. Not a big fan of the protruding camera and the glass back.

DrFurbs

Guys I'm in the uk. Had anyone Abby idea when lollipop 5.1 is being released? I'm still on 5.0.1 (LRX22C). I thought I would have received this by now.

Why can't I unlock my phone right after a boot up? Whenever I swipe up to unlock the phone with a pattern, it says "try again in 30 seconds" and I have to wait until I can enter the pattern. It's really annoying.

Meadows

Banned
So my GF's iPhone 6 was stolen yesterday, and like an idiot, I forgot to renew her insurance.

So basically, she wanted to buy an iPhone 6 again, but at £400 or whatever it is, I'm kind of adverse, so I'll be giving her my 5c and buying an android phone.

What do you guys think is the best value for me at a max price of £250?

Thanks!

Was listening to the Vergecast. Nilay saying, "I would buy the shit out of an updated Nexus 5 with a better camera."

So would I. T_T
When Nilay says that you know it's serious because it takes a lot to drag him from his iphone. But forreal it's a goddamn no brainer. Nex5 with updated camera and battery and we're GOOD.

A quick read on the LG G2 makes it seem like a great phone, but let down by LG software. Anyone have any views on that?

Thanks again for your help.
pick your poison bud, that's the name of the game when it comes to Android. You're always going to have to sacrifice SOMETHING. It's all about what you value. Camera, battery, sofrware, timely updates, etc...

If you value the latter 2 then yeah LGs UX is meh and they will take a long time to update it. If it's just a temp phone for you then who cares. If you don't mind average battery life get a Moto X 2014. You can also get a OnePlus One if you'd like.

Meadows

Banned
Interesting feedback. I guess I should be more specific. Here are some of my priorities:

- Battery life minimum of 1 day
- Good camera
- Fast processing

Interesting feedback. I guess I should be more specific. Here are some of my priorities:

- Battery life minimum of 1 day
- Good camera
- Fast processing
Then get a G2! Also first point depends on usage.

A G3 if you can find it cheap, I'm not from your country so I have no idea what that dollar amount is.

Zapages

I just got the lollipop update for the galaxy note 4 (AT&T).

The lock screen sucks for it. I was wondering is there any way to get the old music player widget/display on the lock screen again. It was awesome. Now its really small and bad. :\

this_guy

A quick read on the LG G2 makes it seem like a great phone, but let down by LG software. Anyone have any views on that?

Thanks again for your help.

I went LG G2>LG G3> Moto X (2014)

I preferred the G2 over my current Moto X. Hardware is much better when it comes to battery life and camera. The G2 software does look like something from Samsung, but I still would rather put Nova launcher on it then suffer with a bad camera and battery life.

Contrary to what others say, the Moto X does not have average battery life and an average camera. Both categories are just plain bad, not average. My battery life drops 15%-25% overnight, where as the G2 and G3 I had typically dropped 4%-5% overnight. The camera can only take good photos in ideal lighting conditions (outside on a bright sunny day). Indoors with meh lighting or low light conditions end up with lots of noise and grainy pics. Stock Android is overrated.

Mascot

Had a good hour with the S6 Edge today.

My God. What a majestic product. Build quality is unrivalled. That screen!

Also: changed my order from black to white. The finish is like mother-of-pearl or ivory. Staggeringly beautiful.

Cannot wait.

3phemeral

Honestly looking forward to checking out the S6 Edge when demo units pop here. I don't know what it is about the screen but the fold over and each side is sexy as hell.

Husker86

Anyone know if Costco has S6 demo units? I'm assuming not, but it'd be nice not to have to make a special trip to a carrier store/Best Buy just to check them out.

Top Bottom