• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Does anyone have much experience with both the Moto E LTE and the newest version of the Moto G? I'm looking to replace my old iPod Touch as the battery has gotten pretty pathetic, and those are the two devices I've been looking at. I've had a small bit of experience with Android, but not much. I'd likely not be using either phone with any service.

The recent Gizmodo review of the Moto E LTE was a bit weird as all the other reviews I had seen mentioned that it ran pretty great. I don't really care about screen resolution or the other missing features, I'm mostly concerned about performance and battery life. I'd like to play a few games, though I doubt anything too intensive. If I could rank my priorities, it would be Chatting through Google Hangouts, Streaming Video and listening to music and such. It feels as though the Moto E is the better choice but I'm still not entirely sure.

The battery isn't that great on the new Moto G. If you are in the us you can get the old moto g (great battery life) for 40 bucks or the lg g2 for 150 from best buy.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The G2 seems really nice. Even if I had to pay 199 that seems way better. Is there anything I should be knowing about the G2?

Just make sure you get the right version for your carrier.

Also I would update it to lollipop as soon as you buy then factory reset.

Wreav

Banned
Whew, had 3 days left to swap my S6 out, glad this problem didn't crop up next week, got a brand new one instead of a refurb.

New one still has ISOCELL, though =(

Saiyan-Rox

N9 gets 5.1 today. What will N9 owners complain about tomorrow?

Just saw this tweet. Hopefully it fixes the tablets issues. Now just to wait patiently for the factory image...

Shouldn't have read the comments on the G+ post...the amount of idiots on there is insane its like YouTube comments.

Supposedly has GPS and heat problems along with the touch screen digitizer going bad in less than an year.

I second these, I had all of these problems between Twp G2s, constantant GPS signal loss and the touchscreen went crazy, I thought I was imagining things on that one, and the heat was insanely bad.

I honestly can't understand why this isn't already the case but better late than never:

Google's Android operating system is set to give users more detailed choices over what apps can access, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because the matter remains private. That could include photos, contacts or location. An announcement of the change, which would put Android closer in line with Apple Inc.'s iOS, is expected for Google's developer's conference in San Francisco this month, one of the people said.

Why does the Nexus 9 get a price cut only in the UK? Is it still worth $400 in the US? Also it's finally upgrading to 5.1, I can't believe you guys aren't talking about this (it's not like the official N9 thread is more relevant or busy than here).

Edit: Didn't realise the N9 abbreviation was so popular

Saiyan-Rox

Why does the Nexus 9 get a price cut only in the UK? Is it still worth $400 in the US? Also it's finally upgrading to 5.1, I can't believe you guys aren't talking about this (it's not like the official N9 thread is more relevant or busy than here).

Edit: Didn't realise the N9 abbreviation was so popular

Probably start talking about it when it more when/if hits

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah gotta love how google announces it and there's not one report on it hitting a device.

The way Google handles it's updates really does need to change. Look at Android Wear it was announced and it said it would be coming in the next few weeks and even at that when it does start rolling out it'll take ages to actually get it.

Latest numbaz:

2pxCA3O.png

and

dh5Q8dV.png

S_Dev

Neo Member
So after using two Snapdragon 810 phones (LG Flex 2, HTC One M9), I have came the conclusion that Qualcomm accidentally made a desktop APU with no heatsink. AMD would be proud. At least the M9 has someplace for the heat to go, but it makes the phone uncomfortable to use when something like Maps is running. The Flex 2 just throttles itself so damn hard, that I had to turn off Facebook Messenger bubbles so they wouldn't turn my phone into a stuttering mess.

Its sad because these phone have some awesome raw performance potential when they are not being throttled to hell. I'm almost half tempted to disassemble my Flex 2, slap a Raspberry Pi heatsink/fan combo on it, and making a Android console out of it.

Really wish I could just find a reasonably priced Sprint Nexus 6.

So after using two Snapdragon 810 phones (LG Flex 2, HTC One M9), I have came the conclusion that Qualcomm accidentally made a desktop APU with no heatsink. AMD would be proud. At least the M9 has someplace for the heat to go, but it makes the phone uncomfortable to use when something like Maps is running. The Flex 2 just throttles itself so damn hard, that I had to turn off Facebook Messenger bubbles so they wouldn't turn my phone into a stuttering mess.

Its sad because these phone have some awesome raw performance potential when they are not being throttled to hell. I'm almost half tempted to disassemble my Flex 2, slap a Raspberry Pi heatsink/fan combo on it, and making a Android console out of it.

Really wish I could just find a reasonably priced Sprint Nexus 6.
Lol.

I'm trying to hold off on finally upgrading until the end of the year. I really, really want a phone with USB type c, a non compromised 64bit processor, DDR4 RAM, and UFS 2.0.

Will have to wait and see on this one. The snapdragon 810 doesn't seem like a huge performance bump from the 801 like they touted it to be, but a 2k screen is enticing. My OPO is still running solid though. The 5.1.1 nightlies fixed most of the issues I had with lollipop. Battery life is still worse than kitkat and I still can't see what kind of notifications I have from the lockscreen status bar any more.

If the op2 is the same size as the opo I'd rather get a note 5 (assuming is the same size as the 4 lol). In reality I wouldn't get either :p

I just want more leaks plsssss

RuGalz

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=162896152&postcount=10217

I mean time will tell for sure but those results look pretty damn good.

Even if they did "fix it", my point still stands. It seems like a lot of trouble just to work around a flawed chip which could have spent else where. 810 is obviously rushed. There's hope that 820 or whatever will be much better from the get go.

Will have to wait and see on this one. The snapdragon 810 doesn't seem like a huge performance bump from the 801 like they touted it to be, but a 2k screen is enticing. My OPO is still running solid though. The 5.1.1 nightlies fixed most of the issues I had with lollipop. Battery life is still worse than kitkat and I still can't see what kind of notifications I have from the lockscreen status bar any more.

I think the performance jump people were expecting didn't materialize because Lollipop wasn't overhauled to take advantage of 64bit processor. The marginal, increased performance probably, came from 64bit processors having more hardware registers... That's why I'm hoping Android M will fix it (or at least starting to). Too much shit were happening at the same time during development of L - material design change, full transition to ART, Android TV, Android Wear, 64bit support. Google took on more than they could handle in a year.

Drifters

? Have we read the same reviews?

Camera sounds to be good, but not great--- those expecting the second coming of something aren't happy, lower spec CPU, GPU, LG's fuck-ugly skin and of course carrier bloat ahoy.... thing seems sent to die.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got an email from Sony that my Z3 has a software update to v. 23.1.A.1.28 available via computer. Just says for bug fixes so I'm guessing that isn't 5.1 yet?

Groof

Camera sounds to be good, but not great--- those expecting the second coming of something aren't happy, lower spec CPU, GPU, LG's fuck-ugly skin and of course carrier bloat ahoy.... thing seems sent to die.
Link me these reviews. Everything I've read so far says it's a beast with top of the line camera. Only thing holding it back is the software and spotty battery life.

Drifters

Link me these reviews. Everything I've read so far says it's a beast with top of the line camera. Only thing holding it back is the software and spotty battery life.

Literally just watched MTR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEc7eygICBE

I appreciate Lisa not overhyping the shit out of things and giving an honest opinion. Her other videos on the smackdown's show the S6 edging (har-har!) the G4 still overall. Anyways, seems to me that LG pulled an HTC this year.

Top Bottom