• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

How much is the Z3 Compact over there? Price has been dropping like a stone over here and it sounds like battery would be the main concern, which will beast mode through it.

Was going ot laugh off the G2 as a battery lasting machine due to the G3/4, but I looked it up first. How the fuck are LG downgrading their battery life? Unreal.

From what I can find Z3 compacts are still in the mid-$500s here.

ukas

I received my Edge International (SM-G925I) yesterday. No carrier bloat or branding whatsoever. Ah it feels good to get rid of that crap.

There are a few minor differences OS'wise from my AT&T version.
--The settings screen is all vertical scrolling instead of horizontal scrolling
--There's no A-Z sorting option for the app drawer (not that big of a deal to me since I use Nova, still stupid though)
--Quick Connect/S Finder is in the notification shade
--The "Connected to ..." wifi info is gone from the notification shade (traded one for the other I guess).
--Smart Manager is unmodified

That's all I've really noticed so far. I was able to get this cheaper than I paid outright on AT&T and now I can root the phone. Time to return the other back to Amazon.

RuGalz

In the older Touchwiz, I noticed my wife's AT&T version was default on tab view while my VZW one was default on list view. You could go to advance menu to switch. I can't imagine why they'd remove it.

Mindwipe

I think you're confusing this with Blackberry... Microsoft is serious about this shit.

Microsoft have been serious about a lot of things that haven't affected their app store one iota, other than taking their attention away from making a next gen set of Win32 APIs that might actually help them sustain marketshare.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I received my Edge International (SM-G925I) yesterday. No carrier bloat or branding whatsoever. Ah it feels good to get rid of that crap.

There are a few minor differences OS'wise from my AT&T version.
--The settings screen is all vertical scrolling instead of horizontal scrolling
--There's no A-Z sorting option for the app drawer (not that big of a deal to me since I use Nova, still stupid though)
--Quick Connect/S Finder is in the notification shade
--The "Connected to ..." wifi info is gone from the notification shade (traded one for the other I guess).
--Smart Manager is unmodified

That's all I've really noticed so far. I was able to get this cheaper than I paid outright on AT&T and now I can root the phone. Time to return the other back to Amazon.

Same as my unlocked international S6:

6BtGVWW.png

feels good man

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The only other thing I've read recently is exchange services destroying the battery, either through Outlook or to email client. It just keeps the phone awake if you use that.

Other than that, people on XDA generally seem happy with Note 4 on Lollipop.

I really appreciate the help you've been providing. I use the outlook app for exchange. I don't think that's the problem but I'll turn it off and see. I love this phone otherwise, but lollipop is sluggish as well as killing my battery life.

So Best Buy G2 sale update from my previous posts.

Decided to take a plunge after I was able to knock the $150 down 10% with movers coupon and apply a $20 reward cert. I had lying around. After tax it was $130 OOP.

I have 30 days to return so my wife can give it a trial run I suppose, see if she likes it. If nothing else it will be a minor inconvenience to return if needed.

Thanks for the input folks.

So Best Buy G2 sale update from my previous posts.

Decided to take a plunge after I was able to knock the $150 down 10% with movers coupon and apply a $20 reward cert. I had lying around. After tax it was $130 OOP.

I have 30 days to return so my wife can give it a trial run I suppose, see if she likes it. If nothing else it will be a minor inconvenience to return if needed.

Thanks for the input folks.

Hope you enjoy it, hopefully you have more luck with it than I did

OT6 Okay Google, What the fuck?

haha perfect

Found out my S6 has a Sony sensor. Yay.
you won the sensor lottery!

lol pathetic
Looks like Android M will be mentioned at I/O :O

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...gle-io-2015-according-to-conference-schedule/

Can't wait for I/O personally

I want to be excited but it's hard. I'm lying, I'm still excited but still!

G4 7.9d

I wonder why The Verge got a plastic back G4 to review instead of a leather version. It seems like that would help alleviate some of their complaints with the build quality.

Hasney

Andoid M
otherfucker
eh? I think they might even make it 6.0 and forget 5 ever happened.

I wonder why The Verge got a plastic back G4 to review instead of a leather version. It seems like that would help alleviate some of their complaints with the build quality.

The way they keep mentioning that it's a review model sounds like LG sent them that, so as much as I'd like to rip on the Verge, that's all they can really do.

Hasney

The camera and screen are 9s for the G4, but the 6Plus are 10s... what?

Never try and make sense of The Verge, there's no point.

So looking at that graphic, it looks like M might focus on integrating either with other devices or have an answer to that Continuum thing Windows Phone has, or even both.

nexus2cee_AndroidMmentionAndroidforWork-668x238.png

Saiyan-Rox

Android: M
onthlies

Be good to see what Google has planned for M see what design aspects have changed this time although I'm not expecting much on that front to change

Hasney

Qualcomm: Snapdragon 810 Overheating Rumors are ‘Rubbish’

Droid Life

Riiight, so it's not been tested in 2 phones and one of them had a patch that took it from this

2000587739.jpeg

To this

tweakers-one-m9-2.jpeg

But slowed down the CPUs as seen on Ars. Then the other manufacturers end up using a much shitter on paper chip for the flagships, Qualcomm themselves change their fabrication partner and the rumors that Xiaomi are going to save the 810 for their phone.

Think they're going to run with this and say LOOK, THIS ONE CHINESE PHONE DOESN'T OVERHEAT YOU FUCKS, IT'S FINE... Except they fixed it.

Hope you enjoy it, hopefully you have more luck with it than I did

Well after reading up on the G2 more the determining factors were the largish battery and well received camera. Those are probably the most important phone aspects to my wife. I'll hope it works out ok. If not in the long term, I can resell and recoup most of my expenses I guess.

Jigolo

Wow this is the first year I can remember that people guessing the next android code name where it has been relatively quiet.

What are some desserts that start with m anyway.

Toki767

Wow this is the first year I can remember that people guessing the next android code name where it has been relatively quiet.

What are some desserts that start with m anyway.

I thought Macaroon was going to be the name already. Or maybe Madeleine? Marshmallow? Meringue? Mint?

Well after reading up on the G2 more the determining factors were the largish battery and well received camera. Those are probably the most important phone aspects to my wife. I'll hope it works out ok. If not in the long term, I can resell and recoup most of my expenses I guess.

It will be pretty much finw for that. Like I said most of my issues could have been specific to the Verizon version, it's physically different than other ones, and for what it's worth I've only seen people in counter the same issues as mine once. I was just massively unlucky. Just know if you start to see a yellow new on the right side of the screen bad things may go down.

Edit: also throw my hat in for android marshmallow

clav

That G2 no-contract offer is tempting.

Can't decide that or a new phone on 2-year contract.

Thoughts?

Currently on a Galaxy S3.

That G2 no-contract offer is tempting.

Can't decide that or a new phone on 2-year contract.

Thoughts?

Currently on a Galaxy S3.

Tough call, it depends on what you have to give up with a new 2 year contract (grandfathered plan, fees etc.). The new S6/S6 edge are probably a good contract bet, or you can wait to see what Moto does or wait for more G4 reviews. There is also gonna be a Note 5 announcement later this year, I assume.

As for older phones, thats probably the best price I've seen on a new, no contract flagship from 2013(Verizon or Sprint). The 2013 moto x has dipped to about $180 new before. You could also check for 2014 deals, like the recent moto x (2014) that was $350 new on sale.

Edit: If you happen to be on Verizon with a grandfathered unlimited data plan, there are workarounds to get a free upgrade and keep your unlimited data. Worked for me when I upgraded to my Droid Turbo. Google around if applicable. There are still some loopholes Verizon hasn't plugged.

Top Bottom