• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Saiyan-Rox

Looks like my moto 360 updated overnight again. Now it has a notification number on the screen to show you how many unread you have to scroll through.

Smidget

Not sure what would be a good thread for this and didn't want to start a new one: any recommendations for a super cheap Android tablet for kids (5-8) to use?

I'm looking at this:

Dragon Touch® Y88X 7'' Quad Core Google Android 4.4 KitKat Tablet PC, Dual Camera, HD 1024x600 Multi-touch Screen, 8GB Nand Flash, Google Play & Zoodles Pre-load, 3D Game Supported (Advanced version of Y88)- Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2QBMFQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure if there is anything cheaper or better speced for the price. So many on eBay to take a look at too.

They currently have http://www.d2pad.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=231&Itemid=401 but definitely would appreciate an upgrade.

Hasney

Not sure what would be a good thread for this and didn't want to start a new one: any recommendations for a super cheap Android tablet for kids (5-8) to use?

I'm looking at this:

Dragon Touch® Y88X 7'' Quad Core Google Android 4.4 KitKat Tablet PC, Dual Camera, HD 1024x600 Multi-touch Screen, 8GB Nand Flash, Google Play & Zoodles Pre-load, 3D Game Supported (Advanced version of Y88)- Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2QBMFQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure if there is anything cheaper or better speced for the price. So many on eBay to take a look at too.

They currently have http://www.d2pad.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=231&Itemid=401 but definitely would appreciate an upgrade.

I don't think you'd feel much of an upgrade on that one. Faster CPU but halving the RAM hurts.

If you can stretch another $20 or don't mind being used, I think this one could work better:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RCA2OFK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
unlocked S6's are getting a new software update:

gsmarena_001.jpg

As some of you might remember, a lot of Galaxy S6 users have been reporting some severe memory issues and drops in performance. Samsung recognized the problem and promised to remedy it in future micro updates. Judging from the improved stability and speed of the unit, we can fairly safely state that the memory leak was handled after the update.

The package itself has a build number of G920FXXU1AODG and weighs precisely 138.32 MB. Its change log is quite vague, so we can't say for sure what improvements and fixes it brings, but, like we said, the Galaxy S6 is now a lot snappier.

woot woot

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s6_is_receiving_a_new_502_ota_in_europe-news-12195.php

Wreav

Banned
I can't say I've seen any RAM issues severe enough to complain about, the S6 is always snappy for me. Maybe it's the international variants?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I can't say I've seen any RAM issues severe enough to complain about, the S6 is always snappy for me. Maybe it's the international variants?

Yeah, the 920I variants had issues where the phone would reboot randomly, or the app drawer suddenly redrawing itself

or maybe that's just lollipop

anyways, it was fixed with the last OTA, curious to see what this one brings

Toki767

out of all the carriers Moto shouldn't be taking so long with the updates since it's mostly stock....insane

I do hope Google changes the way updates are released because this staging process really does suck

I always wonder if most of the time Motorola takes so long just because new versions just tend to break their Always On stuff.

Jzero

Needs that alleged 810v2, sounds generally good. Although losing .3" and already being on an 805 means it's not a Nexus 6 upgrade really.
It honestly sounds good to me. I couldn't get the phone mount that I wanted for my car because my Nexus 6 is too wide.

Hasney

I think going to a Chinese OEM for the Nexus is a good move since that's where the biggest gains can be made Vs. iOS. Although I personally obviously prefer phablets, this would clearly be a move to try and make more gains in China as the east seems to prefer them too.

That said, I think neglecting the 5" market or even the below 5.5" market where they could find somewhere in between, is a mistake. I like to rib Pyromaniac about liking smaller phones, but it's clear there is a market there and the love for the Nexus 5 should be capitalised on.

It honestly sounds good to me. I couldn't get the phone mount that I wanted for my car because my Nexus 6 is too wide.

Ah that's a bugger. As someone who can use the Nexus 6 one handed and just uses the phone as is without mounts and the like, I didn't realise things like mounts weren't catering to the Nexus 6. Isn't the iPhone 6 Plus the same size but with a bigger bezel?

Husker86

I can notice a difference if I restart my phone after a couple of days on my AT&T S6. It doesn't get unusable if I don't restart, but there is definitely a difference.

out of all the carriers Moto shouldn't be taking so long with the updates since it's mostly stock....insane

I do hope Google changes the way updates are released because this staging process really does suck

Its Verizon not Moto. Roll-outs of 5.1 for the 2013 and 2014 unlocked X's are imminent.

Nice to see the G4 reviewing well.

Also apparently the S6 isn't doing that well:

F3cgjSH.jpg

For context, this guy leads Strategy Analytics I think which is a firm that collects all this data and news and shit to report on. He still hasn't generated his report but if he says it, it's likely the case.

I think it's a fundamental problem with the Android market in the high end these days. The market is moving toward high specs and lower and lower prices aka the #TheAmazingRaceToTheBottom

He also said that comment was directed to the US market but it's doing "much worse globally". I'm sure Samsung will try to spin it with insane "Shipped" numbers but we all know now lol.

AndyD

aka andydumi
LG phones also drop in value pretty quickly, by the end of the year you should see some great deals on the G4.

I don't know G2s are still around 200 after two years. At least that's what I consider a decent price point as compared to a contract approach.

F3cgjSH.jpg

For context, this guy leads Strategy Analytics I think which is a firm that collects all this data and news and shit to report on. He still hasn't generated his report but if he says it, it's likely the case.

I think it's a fundamental problem with the Android market in the high end these days. The market is moving toward high specs and lower and lower prices aka the #TheAmazingRaceToTheBottom

He also said that comment was directed to the US market but it's doing "much worse globally".

Hope everything goes in the right direction for the better :).

F3cgjSH.jpg

He also said that comment was directed to the US market but it's doing "much worse globally". I'm sure Samsung will try to spin it with insane "Shipped" numbers but we all know now lol.
Great news!

Hope they reconsider their mistake.

VoxPop

You can only polish a turd so much.

jk the S6 Edge was probably the best Android phone I've ever owned.

Would be great if the Nexus line didn't sacrifice its camera, battery and design every year for the sake of pricing. Did they decide what they're going to call it? Nexus 7 (2015)?

You can only polish a turd so much.

jk the S6 Edge was probably the best Android phone I've ever owned.

Would be great if the Nexus line didn't sacrifice its camera, battery and design every year for the sake of pricing. Did they decide what they're going to call it? Nexus 7 (2015)?
I don't even think it's a pricing problem. Well the battery might be but look at the OnePlus. Thing is oneplus has smaller overhead so that might be the difference. As for camera, the sensors used are perfectly fine, google just has shitty camera software.

Talon

F3cgjSH.jpg

High end android going in the same direction as high end windows.

Top Bottom