• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Furyous

Android Munchies sponsored by Eaze. The Logo is hemp.

Anywhoo, the Moto X specs leaked and I'm underwhelmed that Motorola hates sd card slots. An IR blaster is another necessity for me.

Moto-X-3rd-Gen-copy.jpg

I'm probably sitting this year out and saving money for the premium smartphone war coming next year. The 820 should be out at 14nm. This gives me enough time to save for what could be HTC and Sony's final smartphones. No way in shit does the LG G5 not have the same display size and premium feel as the S7. This year is the stop gap year for smartphones as OEMs got caught off guard by Samsung.

Android Munchies sponsored by Eaze. The Logo is hemp.

Anywhoo, the Moto X specs leaked and I'm underwhelmed that Motorola hates sd card slots. An IR blaster is another necessity for me.

Moto-X-3rd-Gen-copy.jpg

I'm probably sitting this year out and saving money for the premium smartphone war coming next year. The 820 should be out at 14nm. This gives me enough time to save for what could be HTC and Sony's final smartphones. No way in shit does the LG G5 not have the same display size and premium feel as the S7. This year is the stop gap year for smartphones as OEMs got caught off guard by Samsung.

Video games and smart phones are the two industries I follow the closest. I'm always baffled how easy it is for phone information to leak as opposed to any other industry. They gotta work on that.

Toki767

Motorola are still using Samsung panels right? I wonder if Samsung was willing to give the good AMOLED tech this year. Usually they give older AMOLED screen tech when people use their panels and save the good ones for their own devices.

I'll probably pick up a phone off contract this year then use my upgrade if a perfect phone releases next year. Aka an s6 with a better battery and even less touchwiz.

clav

Tough call, it depends on what you have to give up with a new 2 year contract (grandfathered plan, fees etc.). The new S6/S6 edge are probably a good contract bet, or you can wait to see what Moto does or wait for more G4 reviews. There is also gonna be a Note 5 announcement later this year, I assume.

As for older phones, thats probably the best price I've seen on a new, no contract flagship from 2013(Verizon or Sprint). The 2013 moto x has dipped to about $180 new before. You could also check for 2014 deals, like the recent moto x (2014) that was $350 new on sale.

Edit: If you happen to be on Verizon with a grandfathered unlimited data plan, there are workarounds to get a free upgrade and keep your unlimited data. Worked for me when I upgraded to my Droid Turbo. Google around if applicable. There are still some loopholes Verizon hasn't plugged.

When will Motorola release details about 2015 phones?

Saiyan-Rox

Just thinking here if Google is making it so that the M release is like what MS are doing with windows phone I wonder if that means we might get proper support for replying to SMS via PC?

this_guy

If Huawei prices the P8 under $400 for the US market I'd strongly consider it this year. Just slap Nova launcher or Google's home launcher on it and I'm sure the ui will be fine.

NotBacon

Android Monkey Bread

Ran into a problem and wondering if I could get some advice. I downloaded Android Studio today but, I for the life of me can't get the emulator to work. I have hardware visualization enabled in the BIOS, I downloaded the Intel Haxm package, and I installed it but whenever I try to use the emulator I keep getting the message that it's not installed. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have all of the relevant SDK packages installed through the SDK manager? And you've created an AVD? And there's also this reference.

I'd put down 20 bucks on the new Moto X camera being pure garbage. Better than the M9 but still garbage.
The difference is they've made good batteries in the past. They've never made a good camera.
I'd say nexus 6 is a good camera isn't it?

WXk2m2k.png

Wreav

Banned
People holding out hope for an amazing M release when 5.0 is 5.0 is hilarious. Googy can't code their way out of a paper bag.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I received my Edge International (SM-G925I) yesterday. No carrier bloat or branding whatsoever. Ah it feels good to get rid of that crap.

There are a few minor differences OS'wise from my AT&T version.
--The settings screen is all vertical scrolling instead of horizontal scrolling
--There's no A-Z sorting option for the app drawer (not that big of a deal to me since I use Nova, still stupid though)
--Quick Connect/S Finder is in the notification shade
--The "Connected to ..." wifi info is gone from the notification shade (traded one for the other I guess).
--Smart Manager is unmodified

That's all I've really noticed so far. I was able to get this cheaper than I paid outright on AT&T and now I can root the phone. Time to return the other back to Amazon.

Lte works on this? Visual voicemail?

Since Android M
ulatto butts
is a thing now, I hope this means that Google is going back to faster Android iterations. They kinda slowed down the last couple of years.

ukas

Lte works on this? Visual voicemail?

LTE works fine for me, but I'm on Straight Talk which uses AT&Ts cell towers. It is missing a couple of the newer LTE bands compared to the AT&T version, but unless you're in a seriously congested area you shouldn't notice anything.

I couldn't tell you about visual voicemail since Straight Talk doesn't use it.

Hasney

You and I are staying strong for the new Wear stuff.

I've gotten a payrise this month and there's 3 paydays between now and then.... Nnnnng I want one. I might just change my phone lockscreen to read "it has a flat tyre" to stop me from buying it.

Toki767

I've gotten a payrise this month and there's 3 paydays between now and then.... Nnnnng I want one. I might just change my phone lockscreen to read "it has a flat tyre" to stop me from buying it.

I'm basically in the same boat. Would like to try a smartwatch at some point, but definitely waiting for second gen even though I don't really think a whole lot of new features will end up being added.

Corsick

Does anyone know if Xaomi has any plans to bring their phones to the west? I really like the look of their note series with the 3d glass and mid-high level specs.. I was thinking about the Nexus 6 but am realizing I don't need a UHD screen and the price is a bit steep. I've noticed myself researching Chinese smartphones a lot more because of the price, but I don't know how many would work on ATT 4g LTE. I guess I could wait for the next OnePlus phone this year.

Since Android M
ulatto butts
is a thing now, I hope this means that Google is going back to faster Android iterations. They kinda slowed down the last couple of years.

You mean the last year. Prior to 5.0 there was two oses released that year. Also Lollipop was huge in comparison so nothing really slowed down. So huge its still not even done.

The last thing I want is google going back to dual releases causing an even harder time for OEMS.

They haven't even finished Lollipop yet and it was announced a year ago.

You mean the last year. Prior to 5.0 there was two oses released that year. Also Lollipop was huge in comparison so nothing really slowed down. So huge its still not even done.

The last thing I want is google going back to dual releases causing an even harder time for OEMS.
The fact that lollipop was such a huge undertaking and they're already moving on to the next version makes me think they are speeding up. (Or just trying to put it behind them already.) Regardless, I expect M to be what JB was to HC/ICS.

And I don't care if OEMs are having a hard time, to be honest. Things would be pretty much the same even if lollipop was virtually flawless upon release. That's just the nature of the game.

Wreav

Banned
In the last few days, my S6 has started doing phantom back button presses. It's easily replicable if the phone is charging, and I place my pinky around the headphone jack. It's as if the metal body is somehow becoming capacitive while charging. Rarely happens off the charger, but still super annoying since I hold my phone in the superior "resting on pinky" grip.

Drifters

In the last few days, my S6 has started doing phantom back button presses. It's easily replicable if the phone is charging, and I place my pinky around the headphone jack. It's as if the metal body is somehow becoming capacitive while charging. Rarely happens off the charger, but still super annoying since I hold my phone in the superior "resting on pinky" grip.
stevejobsyoureholdingitwrong.jpg

RuGalz

Hopefully now the big transition to ART and Material design is out of the door with the release of Lollipop, they will now go back to focus on polishing up the user experience, optimization, and actually starting to take advantage of 64bit platform with M...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Edge Fans Am Cry

Now let’s talk about the smartphone that is expected to replace the Galaxy Note Edge. It is codenamed ‘Project Zen’ internally, and it will not be just a curved screen variant of the Galaxy Note 5 (as was the case with the Galaxy Note 4 and the Galaxy Note Edge) as its hardware internals will not be completely high-end. It is rumored to feature a 5.4-inch/5.5-inch Super AMOLED dual-edge curved display, an S Pen, a hexa-core Snapdragon 808 processor, 16GB storage, a 16-megapixel primary camera with OIS, and an 8-megapixel front-facing camera.

Gravijah

Does anyone have much experience with both the Moto E LTE and the newest version of the Moto G? I'm looking to replace my old iPod Touch as the battery has gotten pretty pathetic, and those are the two devices I've been looking at. I've had a small bit of experience with Android, but not much. I'd likely not be using either phone with any service.

The recent Gizmodo review of the Moto E LTE was a bit weird as all the other reviews I had seen mentioned that it ran pretty great. I don't really care about screen resolution or the other missing features, I'm mostly concerned about performance and battery life. I'd like to play a few games, though I doubt anything too intensive. If I could rank my priorities, it would be Chatting through Google Hangouts, Streaming Video and listening to music and such. It feels as though the Moto E is the better choice but I'm still not entirely sure.

Top Bottom