• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I just love how deafeningly silent google has been throughout everything. It will be funny if they get on stage at i/o and don't acknowledge anything that went wrong when showing off new shit or the next version of android.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't get why people in this thread, other than Nexus owners, complain about not getting the latest OS immediately or even a few months in. If it matters so much to you, get a Nexus. If you didn't get a Nexus, you probably valued something else, like battery life. So enjoy that battery life. There are advantages and disadvantages to every phone.

I don't get why people in this thread, other than Nexus owners, complain about not getting the latest OS immediately or even a few months in. If it matters so much to you, get a Nexus. If you didn't get a Nexus, you probably valued something else, like battery life. So enjoy that battery life. There are advantages and disadvantages to every phone.
still don't have 5.1 on my N9 -_-

Also if huawei makes this years nexus it will probably have great battery life.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
still don't have 5.1 on my N9 -_-

Also if huawei makes this years nexus it will probably have great battery life.

That's what we said about the LG G2 -> Nexus 4. As for the N9, well, I returned that rubbish. We all knew it was rubbish.

Bboy AJ

it's the software that's rubbish, I like the hardware a lot. Though they still shouldn't have gone with nvidia.

Same RAM as my N10, worse resolution than my N10, worse battery life than my N10. The 4:3 ratio is the only good thing. 5.1.1 works p good on my N10, too.

Talon

Picked up a G2 on one of those Best Buy deals. Lollipop's pretty smooth on it. Consider me impressed.

Nova Launcher ftw.

clav

Picked up a G2 on one of those Best Buy deals. Lollipop's pretty smooth on it. Consider me impressed.

Nova Launcher ftw.

No GPS issues?

Try driving around with Google Maps or something.

I wanted to pick one up, but I looked into known issues.

A few months I have no issues with, half a year when they promised speedy updates is insane.

Talon

There's a difference between knowing that's the case versus whether that should be acceptable.

Shadownet

Banned
Hey guys, what is the best custom Lollipop rom right now for the Galaxy Note 4? I'm running CM12 at the moment. Finally upgraded from 4.2 last night.

Nexus is simply a beta testing program. And its getting fragmented too!

Worst thing about OEMs slow updates is that you can get stuck for months (or forever) on a Android version that has a fundamental bug or flaw.

Hasney

Hey guys, what is the best custom Lollipop rom right now for the Galaxy Note 4? I'm running CM12 at the moment. Finally upgraded from 4.2 last night.

CM12 is pretty fantastic. Unless the Note 4 has some specific ones that do some things better, I'd stick with it.

Same RAM as my N10, worse resolution than my N10, worse battery life than my N10. The 4:3 ratio is the only good thing. 5.1.1 works p good on my N10, too.

Dont agree that the hardware is very comparable

In the ui the nexus 9 misses frames and stalls due to obvious issues between the tegra/unfinished 64 bit android. But it absolutely screams when u load a game.

The 10 is just plain slow and laggy due to its aged CPU.

Bingo.

Saiyan-Rox

I've always prefared the Nexus line over all others mainly for stock android and fast updates also value but that kinda hit the wall this time round. Google need to step it up and get the nexus program back in line along with being more open with customers and getting updates actually out.

Look at the N9 for example Google saying its out now and not a single OTA has appeared for anyone. Same with android wear its update should have launched by now too but nope.

Bboy AJ

There's a difference between knowing that's the case versus whether that should be acceptable.
How else would it work? A beta program is the only way and that didn't turn out so well for L. I'd like to think it would get better but I'm also realistic. And no way any other phone but a Nexus gets the beta. The company that makes the software will have the easiest and fastest turn around on putting it on their hardware. That's reality.

IMO, just like everything else they're starting to come around on, just do it like Apple does it.

Adobe Flash Support lol

man people were fucking weird how they wouldn't let that go.

Well at the time it was like the great marketing angle against Apple who refused to support Flash. Youtube basically had to re-encode their entire library of videos just to support the iPhone back in the day if you remember.

Well at the time it was like the great marketing angle against Apple who refused to support Flash. Youtube basically had to re-encode their entire library of videos just to support the iPhone back in the day if you remember.
but the way people clinged to it was just hilarious and kind of sad. Apple was just like "flash is garbage" meanwhile the supporters were wearing it like a badge of honour.

Now pretty much everyone is in agreement that it sucks and I'm sure everyone is glad we left it behind. Apple took one for the team on that one and used their position of power for the good of all, even those not using iOS devices.

my work is making us go to a bring your own device policy, so I'm in need of a new phone( that they're paying for)

Should I just get a nexus 6? I have no qualms about having a big ass phone and the pure android thing seems what I want

my work is making us go to a bring your own device policy, so I'm in need of a new phone( that they're paying for)

Should I just get a nexus 6? I have no qualms about having a big ass phone and the pure android thing seems what I want
Depends what you're looking for in a phone. Get an LG G4. The leather one! Unless you have to get it right now. In which case yeah get the nex6.

Depends what you're looking for in a phone. Get an LG G4. The leather one! Unless you have to get it right now. In which case yeah get the nex6.

yeah I have to decide like this week, and I have a s4 right now from work that I'm needing to replace.

I have an ipad that I do all my "app stuff" on and the phone really is for work emails and phone calls

yeah I have to decide like this week, and I have a s4 right now from work that I'm needing to replace.

I have an ipad that I do all my "app stuff" on and the phone really is for work emails and phone calls
hmm then yeah get an S6 or Nex6 if you have to choose now. If you don't care about size than nex6 I say.

I watched hella reviews of the LG G4 today.

I really want the phone. Nothing on release date yet?
nope. Who the hell announces a phone and then doesn't even mention a release date lol. Amateur hour in the android world at times.

So your job pays for it? I'd go big and get the most expensive thing I can find.

Do you use multi window or any of Samsung's unique apps/features (S Voice, S Beam, etc.) on your S4? If you do, get the Note 4 instead of the Nexus 6. You will definitely miss multi window if you use it a lot. The Note 4 also has a better camera and battery life.

Edit: The Nexus 6 is still a great choice though, and if you really want stock Android, it's probably the best choice.

Top Bottom