• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

my work is making us go to a bring your own device policy, so I'm in need of a new phone( that they're paying for)

Should I just get a nexus 6? I have no qualms about having a big ass phone and the pure android thing seems what I want

Edge.

I don't think it's bingo, we shouldn't be making excuses for companies because "that's just how it is".

We should always want better.

better than what? 3-4 months after a source drop is great.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There are plenty of G4 phones here in Seoul already. It's trash.

my work is making us go to a bring your own device policy, so I'm in need of a new phone( that they're paying for)

Should I just get a nexus 6? I have no qualms about having a big ass phone and the pure android thing seems what I want
Yeah, go for the N6 then.

3phemeral

So I just inherited a Note 8 (Gt-N5100) and while I love it so far, there's noticeable lockscreen lag. Is there any way to fix this? I don't have any widgets running on the homescreen and I factory reseted everything. Is that just the way it is or can I do something about it? When I swipe, the animation is super choppy and there's a pause before it unlocks.

So I just inherited a Note 8 (Gt-N5100) and while I love it so far, there's noticeable lockscreen lag. Is there any way to fix this? I don't have any widgets running on the homescreen and I factory reseted everything. Is that just the way it is or can I do something about it? When I swipe, the animation is super choppy and there's a pause before it unlocks.
Damn son. Does it run android Pineapple? What else does the future hold.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Not sure this will fix that issue, but the two things you need to do are

1) Make sure you are fully up to date
2) Turn of S Voice

The second in particular makes performance jump.

3phemeral

Damn son. Does it run android Pineapple? What else does the future hold.
It's 4.3 and supposedly will be upgraded to Lollipop (lol). The performance is sort of hit and miss, but I don't want to tinker with it in terms of rooting/unlocking unless I absolutely have no other solution using stock. Battery life drains suuuper quick for some reason, but lasts seemingly forever when it's off just playing music. I might have to do another factory reset and start from scratch to see what's causing the performance inconsistencies.

Not sure this will fix that issue, but the two things you need to do are

1) Make sure you are fully up to date
2) Turn of S Voice

The second in particular makes performance jump.

Thanks. I'll check out the S Voice thing. It's up to date as that's the first thing I checked when I got the device after resetting. I've never had a Samsung device before (other than borrowing my partner's Note II sporadically) and the amount of options this thing has is confusing as heck.

It's 4.3 and supposedly will be upgraded to Lollipop (lol). The performance is sort of hit and miss, but I don't want to tinker with it in terms of rooting/unlocking unless I absolutely have no other solution using stock. Battery life drains suuuper quick for some reason, but lasts seemingly forever when it's off just playing music. I might have to do another factory reset and start from scratch to see what's causing the performance inconsistencies.
So even in the year 2018 battery life is inconsistent.

You said you got a note 8.

Do you use multi window or any of Samsung's unique apps/features (S Voice, S Beam, etc.) on your S4? If you do, get the Note 4 instead of the Nexus 6. You will definitely miss multi window if you use it a lot. The Note 4 also has a better camera and battery life.

Edit: The Nexus 6 is still a great choice though, and if you really want stock Android, it's probably the best choice.

I actually hated all that stuff on my s4

I think the edge looks really stupid but I haven't seen one in person.

Just decided on the nexus6 which will be here Monday. Thanks guys!

Touchdown

Banned

A note 8? :eek:

I love my note 4 :p

Touchdown

Banned
I might be getting my SO a Note 5 depending on what they come out with. He's an adamant Note addict and I don't mind, because I'm suddenly getting all the old models for every upgraded device. :)

One of my favorite features that I thought I'd never use is ultra power saving mode. LOL I always seem to be low on battery at the worst times so I just throw it in ultra power saving and gets me through no problem.

3phemeral

One of my favorite features that I thought I'd never use is ultra power saving mode. LOL I always seem to be low on battery at the worst times so I just throw it in ultra power saving and gets me through no problem.

Does it come at a major performance loss, though? I've noticed that when I turn on Power Saver, the screen isn't as responsive to my touches and movement through apps is laggy. I don't know if future versions of TWZ have found better ways to make this less obviously debilitating. Though it does seem to keep the battery from getting sapped.

Vanillalite: Thanks for that suggestion. After disabling S Voice and a few dozen Samsung apps that I probably won't use, it seems the lockscreen is no longer emulating molasses.
Hoping it's not a placebo effect.

[edit] Also noticed that Google Now commands on this are sooo much faster than my Moto X.

Sora_N

My S4 just died, I think.

Was out with some friends in the afternoon, the phone randomly shut off and I couldn't turn it back on the whole day. The Samsung logo shows up and then it immediately shuts off.

I have 2 batteries, swapped but neither seem to work.

Just noticed that when I put the battery in, the phone tries to turn on.

I read that there are some power button issues with the phone but I tried smacking it a little, didn't seem to do anything. The power button still clicks fine I think.

No idea what to do now, I was supposed to wait 4 more months to upgrade due to my contract. I have some junky S3 I could use, and I can just charge it at work (the battery is a bit poopy on that now).

Hasney

I waited out the last four months of my contract with a half broken S4, but at least mine powered on. Those things weren't well made.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
No idea what to do now, I was supposed to wait 4 more months to upgrade due to my contract. I have some junky S3 I could use, and I can just charge it at work (the battery is a bit poopy on that now).

The Moto G doesn't have great specs but it's cheap and it'll get the job done for 4 months until you can upgrade.

Cheaper still is the Moto E.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So is there a way to get more control of wireless networks. I have xfinity, and they have their newer cable modems set-up to have a 'guest' network that is available to any compact user. Which is good in some circumstances, but I only ever want to manually chose that network, I never want it to automatically connect. I don't want to delete the network because then I have to enter my credentials anytime I use it.

but the way people clinged to it was just hilarious and kind of sad. Apple was just like "flash is garbage" meanwhile the supporters were wearing it like a badge of honour.

Now pretty much everyone is in agreement that it sucks and I'm sure everyone is glad we left it behind. Apple took one for the team on that one and used their position of power for the good of all, even those not using iOS devices.

Apple tends to not support technologies which fail to be elegant enough and usually they are right. Flash is a technical disaster and only became the de-facto standard because there was nothing else to fill the vacuum. Now we have HTML5 and Flash can go fuck itself as it should.

Their refusal to support Blu-ray has been prophetic as well. Anyone who's tried to watch a Blu-ray movie on a PC knows what a shitshow that is because the people who implemented that standard went out of their way to make it a pain in the ass to play back on computers, believing it would help reduce piracy. In fact it's had no effect on piracy but it has effectively killed shiny optical disc playback on PCs even as streaming has taken off in a big way. Blu-ray shot itself in the foot there, and people who still care about video/audio quality and use round movie discs avoid trying to play them back on PCs at all costs.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My S4 just died, I think.

Was out with some friends in the afternoon, the phone randomly shut off and I couldn't turn it back on the whole day. The Samsung logo shows up and then it immediately shuts off.

I have 2 batteries, swapped but neither seem to work.

Just noticed that when I put the battery in, the phone tries to turn on.

I read that there are some power button issues with the phone but I tried smacking it a little, didn't seem to do anything. The power button still clicks fine I think.

What carrier?

Drifters

So is there a way to get more control of wireless networks. I have xfinity, and they have their newer cable modems set-up to have a 'guest' network that is available to any compact user. Which is good in some circumstances, but I only ever want to manually chose that network, I never want it to automatically connect. I don't want to delete the network because then I have to enter my credentials anytime I use it.

Not that I know of. Local preference of said wireless network has to do with signal strength. Are you running 2.4 and 5 GHz channels? If your Guest is 2.4 and your "home" wireless network is 5, depending on location in the house, it will automatically connect you to your Guest network due to signal strength.

longdi

Banned
Tabs switching in Chrome is still hilarious.

Every time i tried switching tabs, it would either open a new tab, or bring up the keyboard.

Which morons at Google still think switching tabs via the address bar on 5 inch phones is a good thing? Apple wont have allowed this, and neither would they silently wait for the Android L storm to blow over.

Every time i tried switching tabs, it would either open a new tab, or bring up the keyboard.

Which morons at Google still think switching tabs via the address bar on 5 inch phones is a good thing? Apple wont have allowed this, and neither would they silently wait for the Android L storm to blow over.

Huh? Tab switching is on tablets not on phones.

longdi

Banned
Im sorry, i meant swipe to switch tabs. On phones with Chrome, it is near unusable.
Does Google thinks through such implementation? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Saiyan-Rox

Im sorry, i meant swipe to switch tabs. On phones with Chrome, it is near unusable.
Does Google thinks through such implementation? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is there not a little box with a number at the top right hand side? you shouldn't need to swipe :S

On another note this issue with the N9 is beginning to get seriously annoying. I can't background play youtube videos while doing anything else as the video's audio will just freeze up :/

Does Google thinks through such implementation? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

It works fine if you just dont hit the menu buttons on the right side. Its also less actions than the iOS counterpart.

I prefer to hit the tab box because then I get to choose from all the tabs I have open.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Use the multi task button to switch tabs. That's the new direction. And it's better than the address bar.

Husker86

Really? What shit phones does everyone else have that chrome scrolls less than 60fps locked?

Anyway, there's zero way to show this. Screen record and YouTube makes it 30fps.

Doesn't matter if YouTube limits to 30fps, you'd still be able to see the jank (if present).

I have an S6, my girlfriend has a Nexus 6. I'll record a video of both scrolling a simple NeoGaf page. It's pathetic. Not only that, hitting the button to show the "Off Topic, Gaming, Subscriptions, etc." buttons on mobile GAF sometimes takes several seconds to show up and the another several seconds when clicking on an item. I experienced this on my Nexus 5 and S6. I'll test it on the Nexus 6, but I'm not hopeful that it's some night and day difference. It's not like the N5 has a shit CPU or anything.

kinggroin

Banned
Doesn't matter if YouTube limits to 30fps, you'd still be able to see the jank (if present).

I have an S6, my girlfriend has a Nexus 6. I'll record a video of both scrolling a simple NeoGaf page. It's pathetic. Not only that, hitting the button to show the "Off Topic, Gaming, Subscriptions, etc." buttons on mobile GAF sometimes takes several seconds to show up and the another several seconds when clicking on an item. I experienced this on my Nexus 5 and S6. I'll test it on the Nexus 6, but I'm not hopeful that it's some night and day difference. It's not like the N5 has a shit CPU or anything.

There's a major issue with either your network connection or a rogue app installed. Even at its worse, Chrome would simply...hesitate, once a new page came up. Then be fine.

thenexus6

UK people: Just ordered a one plus one for my sisters birthday. How long does shipping take? It was ordered with express delivery, it's her birthday on Friday so I hope it arrives in time.

Hasney

So my HDX 7 is really smooth as well. Played around with settings and with Data Saver on, it's God aw. Turn that off and see if it's the culprit?

Top Bottom