• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Husker86

There's a major issue with either your network connection or a rogue app installed. Even at its worse, Chrome would simply...hesitate, once a new page came up. Then be fine.

When Samsung's stock browser works perfectly it leads me to believe it's Chrome, not my phone. Network lag wouldn't make scrolling a fully loaded page be choppy anyway.

kinggroin

Banned
When Samsung's stock browser works perfectly it leads me to believe it's Chrome, not my phone. Network lag wouldn't make scrolling a fully loaded page be choppy anyway.

Well then, stick with stock Samsung apps I guess.

I have a galaxy nexus, and even on that, experience 60fps scrolling on a fully loaded GAF page for instance.

Groof

I have an S6, my girlfriend has a Nexus 6. I'll record a video of both scrolling a simple NeoGaf page. It's pathetic. Not only that, hitting the button to show the "Off Topic, Gaming, Subscriptions, etc." buttons on mobile GAF sometimes takes several seconds to show up and the another several seconds when clicking on an item. I experienced this on my Nexus 5 and S6. I'll test it on the Nexus 6, but I'm not hopeful that it's some night and day difference. It's not like the N5 has a shit CPU or anything.

I get this all the time. It's absolutely horrible. Drives me insane.

RuGalz

It's pathetic. Not only that, hitting the button to show the "Off Topic, Gaming, Subscriptions, etc." buttons on mobile GAF sometimes takes several seconds to show up and the another several seconds when clicking on an item.

Huh, I've never seen chrome behaving like that on my N5 or my wife's OPO. I wonder if it has something to do with the displayed ads. I have ad blocking on my mobile devices. I'd let it run on Gaf like I do on desktop but it's not as easy to be selective on the phone.

kinggroin

Banned
Huh, I've never seen chrome behaving like that on my N5 or my wife's OPO. I wonder if it has something to do with the displayed ads. I have ad blocking on my mobile devices. I'd let it run on Gaf like I do on desktop but it's not as easy to be selective on the phone.

I don't use ad blocking and its still fine

Neogaf is 60 fps for me as well but that is only because its lightweight and very mobile tuned. If you go to a heavy site like the verge or android police its a choppy nightmare.

Regardless, I thought google was changing this soon so it no longer happened. I believe they are switching it so touch has higher priority over the page loading.

kinggroin

Banned
Neogaf is 60 fps for me as well but that is only because its lightweight and very mobile tuned. If you go to a heavy site like the verge or android police its a choppy nightmare.

Regardless, I thought google was changing this soon so it no longer happened. I believe they are switching it so touch has higher priority over the page loading.

The verge scrolls at 60fps, but it has god awful checked boarding and initially there's a lag in response when interacting with the site (scrolls 2 seconds later after I've initially done it)

Husker86

I just tested a few heavy sites... 60fps even while it's loading too. Guess that's why I don't get the complaints with chrome.

Well, kinggroin your video is much different than I experience. It's weird too, because sometimes (rarely) it would work like that for me, but the majority of the time it's just not good at all. It's not a "rogue app" causing the issues for me, either.

I am still comfortable saying that the issues that many people have are Chrome's fault. You guys are not the majority. I'm jealous though, because I really don't like having to use another browser.

Toki767

I was going to buy an S6 today but apparently because I'm on the 20gb for $100 mobile share plan on AT&T I can't even use the Next program to upgrade my phone anymore.

RuGalz

Chrome repaints the DOM while scrolling so you must have a super phone. Unless your not factoring in the touch lag your seeing.

There's *sometimes* a half second touch lag at very beginning then everything's scrolling as usual while there are a bunch of blank spaces getting filled in. Maybe what I see on my N7 is closer to what you guys are seeing but on my N5 it's blazing fast.

Husker86

I was going to buy an S6 today but apparently because I'm on the 20gb for $100 mobile share plan on AT&T I can't even use the Next program to upgrade my phone anymore.

I'm on that and got an S6 on Next on launch day.

edit: But I think I remember not being able to do it online. It tried to get me to pick another plan. You can do it in store though.

longdi

Banned
It works fine if you just dont hit the menu buttons on the right side. Its also less actions than the iOS counterpart.

I prefer to hit the tab box because then I get to choose from all the tabs I have open.

I do that now, but is not intuitive and slower than swipe left/right. I still need to reach for the box with my other hand. For all the importance tab browsing, i am annoyed Google didnt thought more on how to switch tabs easily with one hand. They used to have swipe anywhere from the screen to switch, but some complained about accidentally switching and they moved it to the top address bar only. At least have it at the bottom where our thumbs are.

Use the multi task button to switch tabs. That's the new direction. And it's better than the address bar.

No, it is worse. The task switcher would mess with the order of Chrome tabs and placed your latest apps switched on the front. Another brainless Google feature

Chrome repaints the DOM while scrolling so you must have a super phone. Unless your not factoring in the touch lag your seeing.

As annoying as Chrome design is, i found it to be the most stable and fastest scrolling of Android browsers, even faster than Samsung browser. After Maxthon crashed like hell on Z2 5.0.2, im forced to use Chrome and coming to neogaf complaining about how un-intuitive the tabs switching still is. :)
Perhaps you can try reinstall the apps? or perhaps you need to change some settings in Chrome?

Toki767

I'm on that and got an S6 on Next on launch day.

edit: But I think I remember not being able to do it online. It tried to get me to pick another plan. You can do it in store though.
Guess I'll have to go to an actual store. I tried to do it at Best Buy. The guy seemed to feel pretty bad that he couldn't help out. He called like 3 different departments from Best Buy and AT&T before they told him they could only do it in corporate stores.

Guess I'll have to go to an actual store. I tried to do it at Best Buy. The guy seemed to feel pretty bad that he couldn't help out. He called like 3 different departments from Best Buy and AT&T before they told him they could only do it in corporate stores.

sometimes some plans are like that.

i'm on SERO so i can only upgrade in corporate stores or on the website.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Doesn't matter if YouTube limits to 30fps, you'd still be able to see the jank (if present).

I have an S6, my girlfriend has a Nexus 6. I'll record a video of both scrolling a simple NeoGaf page. It's pathetic. Not only that, hitting the button to show the "Off Topic, Gaming, Subscriptions, etc." buttons on mobile GAF sometimes takes several seconds to show up and the another several seconds when clicking on an item. I experienced this on my Nexus 5 and S6. I'll test it on the Nexus 6, but I'm not hopeful that it's some night and day difference. It's not like the N5 has a shit CPU or anything.

I have this same issue and it's horrible. Once iOS gets a little more pro, I'll likely switch over. I prefer elegance over useless nonsense that many Android users seem to prefer, like the "just give us the option!" foolishness.

VoxPop

Safari is marvelous

its great not having to worry about something as basic as browsing the web, sending a message or taking a decent picture.

I do miss the glowing Edge notifications and LED light though

Husker86

Safari is marvelous

its great not having to worry about something as basic as browsing the web, sending a message or taking a decent picture.

I do miss the glowing Edge notifications and LED light though
Safari really is great. My iPhone still sits on the sidelines most of the time, though. Not sure what it is exactly (notifications are a big part), but I just always go back to my Android phones. I'll still always own both, though.

VoxPop

Yeah both have their pros and cons. I absolutely hate having no back button or not being able to easily download files on the phone. iOS would be pretty amazing with launchers though. I would probably never go back to an Android phone if that were the case.

Toki767

I don't know. I notice choppy scrolling on my iPad Air 2 all the time. It's not exactly smooth all the time like what people keep saying. It's certainly not worth the trade off for what Android offers most of the time.

I just wish I could find a browser that doesn't destroy battery life.

I will never support them regardless of the product due to their anticompetitive tactics. I swear they try to pull something new every year.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/4/8540935/apple-labels-spotify-streaming

They are the richest company on earth yet they feel the need to pull bullshit like this. Scary
Rich getting richer.

At least with Google and Microsoft you can see them try new things, invest the cash, try and experiment with new stuff.

Apple is a hoarder.

RuGalz

I am still comfortable saying that the issues that many people have are Chrome's fault. You guys are not the majority. I'm jealous though, because I really don't like having to use another browser.

Maybe there's just too much stuff running in the background? Even my N10 is smooth once the page is loaded up except for pages that have ads that follow the scrolling. 30fps though, not 60 like N7/N5. I know when I used to have Samsung phone the stock rom ran a lot slower than many other stock based, optimized custom rom.

Maybe there's just too much stuff running in the background? Even my N10 is smooth once the page is loaded up except for pages that have ads that follow the scrolling. 30fps though, not 60 like N7/N5. I know when I used to have Samsung phone the stock rom ran a lot slower than many other stock based, optimized custom rom.

Safari stops painting the DOM when scrolling. Chrome does not. That is your answer.

Husker86

Well I've had all the Nexus devices and still own a 5 and 7(2013). I haven't used Chrome on my girlfriend's 6 too extensively so maybe it's fine on there. I'm pretty into mobile systems/development so I consider myself far from an average user that may install a bunch of junk apps that run in the background or something to that effect. I know what's running on my phone, and it's nothing frivolous.

The bottom line is that other browsers run better on the same devices that run Chrome poorly (in my experience). That points to an issue with Chrome, not the device.

Even all that aside, there shouldn't be issues with the stock/premier browser from the creators of Android in any case, under normal use.

I'm not trying to bash Chrome for fun; it took a lot to get me to stop using it. I hate not using it. But I can't deal with the choppiness.

RuGalz

The bottom line is that other browsers run better on the same devices that run Chrome poorly (in my experience). That points to an issue with Chrome, not the device.

I'm really just curious why I don't see it performing as poorly as a lot of people suggest for all these years I've been using chrome. Even on my GS3 it's still running at 30fps scrolling and that's the only device I have that I've ever seen pressing a button taking a couple seconds for the drop down menu to appear sometimes on gaf. The only thing I can think of is I go pretty far turning off stuff I don't need and that's every single Samsung app on the GS3.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Chrome on my Z3 is crappy too. It is the one thing that immediately stands out vs ios

Following up on a previous poster's comments about improved idle time with the Z3 update, I've now had mine on for two full days and night and the battery is showing 53%, predicting two more days usage. That is barely using it over the weekend, I was just testing.

Hasney

Did any of you try turning off Data Saver in Chrome options? Seriously made my tablet Chrome go horrible when I turned it on.

CheezyMac88

I've just received an OTA update for my S6 Edge (Sprint). It fixed the auto rotation and night clock issues.
BclIpcD.jpg

effzee

Have a S5. Just last week I started experiencing an where all my notifications in the notification bar stopped appearing.

I went to sounds/notifications and made sure the apps which I vitally need real time notifications from are turned on.

I use my phone for work email and now have to open the app and manually refresh for the email inbox to update.

Don't see anything else in settings that could be the cause.

Anyone know what's causing this? It's not just email, work and gmail, but also hangouts, text messages, whatsapp...etc

Have a G3 and was thinking of upgrading to the G4 but the battery being subpar will prolly cause me to hold back. No clue what is going on with the Z4. Maybe wait for the Note 5/N5 Edge, but that OS.

Oh well.

Top Bottom