• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

this_guy

Have a G3 and was thinking of upgrading to the G4 but the battery being subpar will prolly cause me to hold back. No clue what is going on with the Z4. Maybe wait for the Note 5/N5 Edge, but that OS.

Oh well.

From the reviews I'm seeing battery life is good (I was hoping for great) and should be an improvement over the G3.

Hasney

From the reviews I'm seeing battery life is good (I was hoping for great) and should be an improvement over the G3.

I'll wait for GSM Arena on the final say on battery life, but the couple I've seen say it's almost the same, but actually less than the G3.

Hasney

gsmarena_001.jpg

Well OK then

http://blog.gsmarena.com/snapdragon-818-specs-leak-10-core-processors-inside/

20nm makes this much less attractive than the idea for the 820.

Toki767

G4 will support Quick Charge 2.0 after all.

EDIT: Didn't see post on last page. On a separate note, no one on any phone after the S3 really needs to upgrade IMO.

The HTC monetization kills me. This is worse than adding bloatware especially if they make Blinkfeed unremovable.

Yeah. I think if you basically have a phone with a Snapdragon 800 or above, you are pretty much fine and don't need to upgrade unless you just want a nicer camera.

G4 will support Quick Charge 2.0 after all.

EDIT: Didn't see post on last page. On a separate note, no one on any phone after the S3 really needs to upgrade IMO.

The HTC monetization kills me. This is worse than adding bloatware especially if they make Blinkfeed unremovable.

Awesome news about the G4. Honestly, this really puts it up on my radar now as the phone I want. Replaceable and quick charge batteries are awesome.

Yeah. I think if you basically have a phone with a Snapdragon 800 or above, you are pretty much fine and don't need to upgrade unless you just want a nicer camera.

I'd be going from an GS4 to a LG G4.

longdi

Banned
Chrome on my Z3 is crappy too. It is the one thing that immediately stands out vs ios

Following up on a previous poster's comments about improved idle time with the Z3 update, I've now had mine on for two full days and night and the battery is showing 53%, predicting two more days usage. That is barely using it over the weekend, I was just testing.

1% drain per hour? Seems rather high, i got my Z2 to be much under 1% per hour, more like ~3% in 6 hours through the night, that is with wifi always on and GPS device mode. Granted i disabled most push notifications and auto-updates.

Have you enabled stamina mode extended standby and background queue, and also restricted useless apps data?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
1% drain per hour? Seems rather high, i got my Z2 to be much under 1% per hour, more like ~3% in 6 hours through the night, that is with wifi always on and GPS device mode. Granted i disabled most push notifications and auto-updates.

Have you enabled stamina mode extended standby and background queue, and also restricted useless apps data?

That's with nothing disabled so I was getting push notifications from both email accounts and various apps. Sony stamina is enabled but only to turn on at 20%. I think I have background queuing (where would I check?),and extended standby is enabled with exclusions for my two email apps (gmail and nine)

But extended standby and extended usage only activate if stamina mode is on?

Eanan

Has anyone here successfully rooted an Xperia Z2 or installed TWRP on one without unlocking the bootloader? Dont want to do that and mess up the camera.

Im trying to find info on XDA, but I find that place to be a bit of a clusterfuck at times, when just trying to quickly find info.

If you have, could you direct me to a guide or something.

Running 4.4.4 (haven't updated to lollipop yet).

After getting done with 2 finals today I think I am starting to notice a battery drain on my phone. The battery is at 72% after only 6 hours of being away from a charger and checking maybe twice.

longdi

Banned
That's with nothing disabled so I was getting push notifications from both email accounts and various apps. Sony stamina is enabled but only to turn on at 20%. I think I have background queuing (where would I check?),and extended standby is enabled with exclusions for my two email apps (gmail and nine)

But extended standby and extended usage only activate if stamina mode is on?

I guess so. I turned stamina mode always on since day 1, and noticed no difference in performance. I did not restrict device performance nor use power saving for wifi. Everything is at full speed from the processors to LTE. :)

Just need to whitelist the apps you require push data.

Btw here is Z2 with Chrome and iVerge.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7b89btsqCClbWNVQ3FnMU9uX0E/view?usp=sharing
edit: Playing this video file directly off my PC is waaaay smoother, like the actual experience.

Z2 battery drain, about 2% in 4hours. It was at 99% when i went to bed.
scBmqxS.png

Zeppu

Just flashed the Nexus 9 with 5.1.1 and from the first impression it seems to be not shit. Okay Google when screen off now works every time and task switching seems quicker. Still restoring the apps and stuff (I wiped) but so far I am already much happier.

Just flashed the Nexus 9 with 5.1.1 and from the first impression it seems to be not shit. Okay Google when screen off now works every time and task switching seems quicker. Still restoring the apps and stuff (I wiped) but so far I am already much happier.

Same for me. The tablet is much faster even though its in the middle of redownloading apps.

Maybe the tegra was not not a fail after all and the haters were wrong.

Had to flash each of the image files individually, kept running into issues with the flash-all script.

Not sure if that had to do with going from 5.0.1 -> 5.1.1, though.

Loxley

I'm curious if/when Samsung are going to announce a refresh of the Galaxy Note 10.1. My trusted 2014 edition is starting to slow up a bit, and I would love an android tablet with Lollipop.

Unless of course there's some other shiny android tablet on the horizon that includes a pressure-sensitive stylus.

I'm curious if/when Samsung are going to announce a refresh of the Galaxy Note 10.1. My trusted 2014 edition is starting to slow up a bit, and I would love an android tablet with Lollipop.

Unless of course there's some other shiny android tablet on the horizon that includes a pressure-sensitive stylus.

Tegra Note? Not sure if they are making a new one though.

Yeah, it's not like a six month delay is meaningful in the tech world.

In mobile Time to Market is like the most important thing ever and you will move heaven and earth to make it before your competitor does.

HTC unfortunately gambled that the SD810 wouldn't be a huge piece of shit and it really worked out badly for them. They got to market with the One M9 a month before the S6 but at the cost of basically making a device that is unsellable in 2015.

It's unfortunate that Nvidia always seems to be about 6 months late with every Tegra, they would get more design wins if they were at the front of the curve and not the back.

Yeah, it's not like a six month delay is meaningful in the tech world.

Where did I say anything about the value of the product? Clearly the owners of the tablet from day 1 got screwed.

I'm referring to the haters that were blaming the hardware when the issue was the software running on it.

Must be bitter on that old nexus 10.

Drifters

In mobile Time to Market is like the most important thing ever and you will move heaven and earth to make it before your competitor does.

HTC unfortunately gambled that the SD810 wouldn't be a huge piece of shit and it really worked out badly for them. They got to market with the One M9 a month before the S6 but at the cost of basically making a device that is unsellable in 2015.

It's unfortunate that Nvidia always seems to be about 6 months late with every Tegra, they would get more design wins if they were at the front of the curve and not the back.

To be fair, Nvidia has their own roadmap on when they release which is different from Qualcomms roadmap. Also, their Android tablet is built specifically for the Tegra; Apples to Oranges tbh.

StuKen

I'm only seeing marginal improvements with the Nexus 9 after the update. RAM usage is still showing critical, I still see redraws on home, Chrome tabs still reload after switching.

To top it off going to the Reddit Nexus 9 board results in a 100% reproducible crash of the entire tablet. This has happened after the OTA and after a full wipe and factory image flash. Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

I'm only seeing marginal improvements with the Nexus 9 after the update. RAM usage is still showing critical, I still see redraws on home, Chrome tabs still reload after switching.

To top it off going to the Reddit Nexus 9 board results in a 100% reproducible crash of the entire tablet. This has happened after the OTA and after a full wipe and factory image flash. Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

lol

Was kind of hoping google would give me a reason to buy this tablet love the form factor.

thenexus6

Ordered a one plus one for my Sisters birthday on Sunday evening, arrived this afternoon. I am just updating and loading apps as its better than her receiving it and having to spend ages doing it herself.

H9ouKFrh.jpg

nfXdKVjh.jpg

I've seen a ton of videos and stuff online but first time using one myself. I must say I am super impressed. The packaging and presentation are very high quality. The phone overall is too big for me (its going to be way too big her for - coming from iPhone 5 but oh well) but if they ever drop to a 5" form factor i'd be all over it as my future phone. I really like the extra level of customizability.

All in photo came to £251 which is insane!

She got the white, even though the 64GB is so cheap as she liked the white better.. so I can't comment on the apparently cool grippy texture but the white is pretty slippery in the hand.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why is android so random sometimes? Over the weekend I got great battery life on my Z3 - 3 days without recharging. Turned it off last night and then this morning the bloody bluetooth seems to have kept it awake for hours, draining the battery over 10% in a morning. I should have just left it switched on while it was behaving..

Top Bottom