• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Hasney

So, I'm looking for a new smartphone. After a good 3 years, my Galaxy S2 stopped working.

I'm thinking about going for a Galaxy S4. Been eyeing a Galaxy S4 16GB on a 2 year contract, with 1000GB 3G and 300 minutes/texting for €23,50 a month.

I don't need a top of the line phone, I use it for WhatsApp, phonecalls, take a picture here and there, browsing Gaf and Youtube, and some games. Was happy with my S2 during those three years.

Basically, my question is if you guys think the Galaxy S4 will be future proof, atleast for the upcoming 2 years.

(I also looked at the S5 and S6, but they're too expensive for me atm.)

Don't do it with the S4. Don't relieve my 2 years of shitty build quality, terrible customer service and stuttering performance.

That's... not a concern at all. Like I said, I just came from Windows Phone, which (outside the camera) is behind by about 4 years. Seriously, this Galaxy S5 Active is blowing my mind. I'm used to being a little behind on technology.
Also, I used to have cricket a few years ago, but their speeds were just terrible in my area. Less than 3G speeds. It was awful. I don't live in a big city, so I miss out on a lot of benefits. Also, like I said, my phone was free.

Cricket was Sprint then. Like I said... Same towers as ATT and so the same you are using now if you are on a NEXT plan. How was your phone free when you are paying for it monthly?

Cheapest I can find the S5 atm is €33 a month on a 2 year contract, which is a bit too high for my liking. I can think about it. Do they sell the Zenfone 2 in the Netherlands? Can only find one site that sells the 4GB/32GB it for €410. Just really poor atm, just have a thesis left then I'm done with uni.

I'm using a Galaxy Young right now and it's so shitty, but hey, I can call people and it has WhatsApp.
What other phones are there to choose from? Maybe see if they have a Moto X since that will likely be cheap. But believe me you're much better off spending a bit more to a phone that came out a year after the S4.

Cricket was Sprint then. Like I said... Same towers as ATT and so the same you are using now if you are on a NEXT plan. How was your phone free when you are paying for it monthly?

I don't have the NEXT plan - that's what I refused to get since it's more expensive than what we have (which is a 2-yr agreement, giving us free phones every 2 years).

Also, yes, the Cricket I used was CDMA, so I guess it was using Sprint or Verizon's towers.

SimleuqiR

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VWKKHKU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

• Unlocked GSM, Dual SIM smartphone with 4G/LTE, and 802.11ac connectivity
  • 64-bit Intel 2.3 GHz Quad Core process with 4GB RAM and 64G storage
  • 5.5-inch IPS full HD display (Gorilla Glass 3); 13MP rear camera and 5MP front camera.
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz), LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 17, 20).
  • Compatible with GSM Networks including AT&T, T-Mobile and cellular network providers utilitzing GSM network such as: Straight Talk, Walmart Family Mobile, MetroPCS, Simple Mobile, Brightspot, Net10, h20 Wireless, and Cricket Wireless.
  • This device is not compatible with CDMA Networks such as: Verizon, Sprint, and US Cellula

Not bad for $299.00

I hope Google brings down their future Nexus phone prices. Anything between $300-$400 if fine in my book.

Source: http://www.androidcentral.com/where-buy-asus-zenfone-2-us-and-canada

• 5.5-inch IPS full HD display (Gorilla Glass 3); 13MP rear camera and 5MP front camera.
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz), LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 17, 20).
  • Compatible with GSM Networks including AT&T, T-Mobile and cellular network providers utilitzing GSM network such as: Straight Talk, Walmart Family Mobile, MetroPCS, Simple Mobile, Brightspot, Net10, h20 Wireless, and Cricket Wireless.
  • This device is not compatible with CDMA Networks such as: Verizon, Sprint, and US Cellula

Not bad for $299.00

I hope Google brings down their future Nexus phone prices. Anything between $300-$400 if fine in my book.

Damn nice..

I don't have the NEXT plan - that's what I refused to get since it's more expensive than what we have (which is a 2-yr agreement, giving us free phones every 2 years).

Also, yes, the Cricket I used was CDMA, so I guess it was using Sprint or Verizon's towers.

My bad, I thought you said you were on NEXT. It was Sprint hence the crappy 3G like data speeds which the current Cricket blows out of the water.

My gf and I are on cricket for only 60 dollars total with 2.5 gb each. You come out way ahead even with outright buying the phone.

Edit: Cricket needs to start doing some serious advertising saying their network is different now. So many people dont realize its not that Sprint crap any longer.

Sid

So, I'm looking for a new smartphone. After a good 3 years, my Galaxy S2 stopped working.

I'm thinking about going for a Galaxy S4. Been eyeing a Galaxy S4 16GB on a 2 year contract, with 1000GB 3G and 300 minutes/texting for €23,50 a month.

I don't need a top of the line phone, I use it for WhatsApp, phonecalls, take a picture here and there, browsing Gaf and Youtube, and some games. Was happy with my S2 during those three years.

Basically, my question is if you guys think the Galaxy S4 will be future proof, atleast for the upcoming 2 years.

(I also looked at the S5 and S6, but they're too expensive for me atm.)
See if you can get the Moto X,preferably the newer one

My bad, I thought you said you were on NEXT. It was Sprint hence the crappy 3G like data speeds which the current Cricket blows out of the water.

My gf and I are on cricket for only 60 dollars total with 2.5 gb each. You come out way ahead even with outright buying the phone.

Edit: Cricket needs to start doing some serious advertising saying their network is different now. So many people dont realize its not that Sprint crap any longer.

They definitely do! I was still under the impression it was Sprint. I used to work at a Sprint store, and it was so dang hard to sell phones when your network is inferior.
I had no clue they moved on to AT&T towers.

This is something I guess. Looks like we have photos, and android pay, possibly version M, and what else...

Today, Bloomberg is reporting that Google Photos is just about ready to go live, with an official debut happening during this year’s Google I/O developer conference. Aside from just backing up photos and giving users access to near professional grade editing tools, Google Photos will allow users to publish their images directly to social networks like Twitter and Facebook.

Hasney

Android Wear is likely to have speaker support and on watch call support. No idea why on the latter, but all the watch OS makers seem to be adding it.

Toki767

Android Wear is likely to have speaker support and on watch call support. No idea why on the latter, but all the watch OS makers seem to be adding it.

Like answering a call on your watch and talking through it? It's just another step for not having to take your phone out I guess.

Like answering a call on your watch and talking through it? It's just another step for not having to take your phone out I guess.

Yep, and its one step closer to not needing your phone entirely. I will buy android wear the day I dont need a phone with it and it gets closer to 2 - 3 days of battery

Yep, and its one step closer to not needing your phone entirely. I will buy android wear the day I dont need a phone with it and it gets closer to 2 - 3 days of battery
how are you ever going to not need your phone though, I'd hate to do 95% of what I do on my phone on a tiny screen on my wrist. Unless you just mean not have it on you or just by functionality.

how are you ever going to not need your phone though, I'd hate to do 95% of what I do on my phone on a tiny screen on my wrist. Unless you just mean not have it on you or just by functionality.

I guess my primary examples are going to work or when I'm out and about socialing. At work I have my desktop for most things (don't need my phone for work) and when I'm out socializing I dont use my phone apps anyway.

But yeah for things such as on the go news consumption, forums and email productivity it would be a nightmare.
Its not that I'd want it to replace my phone entirely but the option of leaving it at home would be nice.

Toki767

I would love to just wear a watch when I'm out for a run but still be able to make phone calls and text messages without my phone. And obviously have it keep track of my run without a phone too.

What would be interesting?

S6 with a removable battery + expandable storage?

You couldn't even have an s6 with the removable stuff. The construction would make it a completely different and it would have looked less appealing. The only problem with the s6 is the weak sauce battery. Swapping 2 - 3 times a day does not fix that for me

clav

You couldn't even have an s6 with the removable stuff. The construction would make it a completely different and it would have looked less appealing. The only problem with the s6 is the weak sauce battery. Swapping 2 - 3 times a day does not fix that for me

Isn't the S6's build slippery though since it's glass?

Read some reports that it can slide across tables.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

To copy apple. Google probably left it it of v1 for commonsensevreasons, but now that apple have it on their watch, they have to do the same.

I just hope they improve haptics. The vibrations are too loud

I like how you always have such high hopes and they never pan out. Ever.
the sad part is my expectations really aren't that high....like at all. Next year is an actual upgrade year so I'm sure I'll just get whatever is best regardless if it's not exactly what I want but this year I think I've settled that I just want something with good battery and a good off-contract price. Obviously I'm still picky about size and skin and whatnot but I'm willing to go a little lenient on it. So I'm basically just waiting on moto x/nexus.

What would be interesting?

S6 with a removable battery + expandable storage?
I don't really care about those things. S6 with better battery would be an insta-buy for me. Samsung surprised me this year and I would have gone for it and paid extra to upgrade early as well but alas. thinness > battery amirite.

j-wood

I found the N6 to be much more slippery than the S6 naked, but really, using any flagship without a case is fucking dumb.

Eh, I had a case on my N6, and hated it. I have insurance for the phone, why is it dumb to not use a case? The phone feels SO much better (and looks way better) without a bulky case on it.

If i break it? $35 bucks to motorola and I'll get a new one.

Eh, I had a case on my N6, and hated it. I have insurance for the phone, why is it dumb to not use a case? The phone feels SO much better (and looks way better) without a bulky case on it.

You should be more worried about dents and minor scratches than anything else. Insurance won't replace your phone for those. A case isn't always about protecting against shatters and drops.

Saiyan-Rox

Dents and scuffs are annoying as hell

I had a slim case on my N6 for awhile and dropped my phone and it got scuffed right where the case and screen protector left a gap

My luck in a nutshell right there.

So I got a tempered glass screen protector and a Supcase Unicorn Beetle case for my Galaxy S5 Active.
This thing feels bulletproof. It's heavy and thin. It's perfect. I'm so happy.

Anth1888

Contract prices in the UK are becoming a fucking joke. I've got an S4 and due an "upgrade" at the end of the month. I was £26 for Unlimited everything (including data) and all networks can't get anywhere near that 2 years later (G4 and M9 are cheaper though). Samsung must charge the networks more for their new phone and we're paying for the 4G rollout I guess. Might just stick to SIM only for the next couple of months and keep an eye out for a deal.

Husker86

I found the N6 to be much more slippery than the S6 naked, but really, using any flagship without a case is fucking dumb.
The only phone I've dropped in the last 3 years is my Nexus 5 and that was when I was wasted at a wedding; small crack on the glass, but not over the screen. I understand why people use cases, but it's silly to say it's "fucking dumb" to not use one. Design is part of the reason I buy phones. No case, no matter how "slim" fails to ruin the design of a phone. I always buy one, but then take it off after a day or two and never use it again.

kharma45

Contract prices in the UK are becoming a fucking joke. I've got an S4 and due an "upgrade" at the end of the month. I was £26 for Unlimited everything (including data) and all networks can't get anywhere near that 2 years later (G4 and M9 are cheaper though). Samsung must charge the networks more for their new phone and we're paying for the 4G rollout I guess. Might just stick to SIM only for the next couple of months and keep an eye out for a deal.

Yeah prices are going up extremely fast. Even SIM only deals are getting fucking ridiculous.

Mindwipe

Unless you have no access to credit (which people legitimately don't, but that makes it hard to get a contract too), you're crazy not to go sim only at this point in the UK market. Sim only deals are insanely good and contract handset prices have skyrocketed. And then you can look around for a good handset deal.

Less carrier bloatware too.

kharma45

Unless you have no access to credit (which people legitimately don't, but that makes it hard to get a contract too), you're crazy not to go sim only at this point in the UK market. Sim only deals are insanely good and contract handset prices have skyrocketed. And then you can look around for a good handset deal.

Less carrier bloatware too.

SIM only deals have got progressively more shit too. Three's rather excellent 30 day SIM deal with unlimited data has over the last year went for £12.90 a month to £20 a month.

Not bad for $299.00

Damn nice..
So my younger brother ordered this.. Hopefully he will think its too big and I can give him my HTC ONE M7 and I take this >:)

reKon

Banned
I was just thinking about this:

It would be cool if you could change the resolution of your smartphone just by selecting a setting and restarting it. If PC's and laptops can do it easily, why not smartphones in some capacities? Is it because Android needs to be developed in a way to allow for that on the fly change in resolution?

I'm also not sure if custom roms already have a feature like this built in.

The big benefit for this is obviously battery life. So theoretically, the high resolution on your new Galaxy S6 wouldn't be a detriment if you cared more about battery life because you could just change it on the fly.

Anth1888

SIM only deals have got progressively more shit too. Three's rather excellent 30 day SIM deal with unlimited data has over the last year went for £12.90 a month to £20 a month.

Funnily enough i tried to look for that today and noticed it was £20 now. CPW's new MVNO iD have a rolling 30 day (running on 3) for £12 for 2GB and £14 for 4GB best deal ive seen so far. Man, upgrading used to be a lot more fun than this bullshit.

clav

You repair your phone a lot?

No. I like having access to the battery when the phone requires replacement.

Same practical approach with desktops/laptops and cars.

Make the maintenance/service option easy for everyone. Otherwise, you will run into more problems of breaking things while servicing.

Top Bottom