• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

So as we all know, the S6 completely bombed. It shipped 10 million......that's shipped. And that's less than S4 and S5 which were already plummeting. It also apparently bombed everywhere. It also took a month to get to that number

70 million.

Earlier this year that was the number of Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge smartphones Samsung claimed it would sell in 2015. Samsung also claimed to have taken 20M pre-orders prior to both phones’ release. Sadly one month on the reality looks disastrously different…

Given the launch month always represents the biggest sales for any phone, this is an entirely unrealistic rate to maintain. Especially with the impending arrival of other flagships later in the year – including potential cannibalisation from the Galaxy Note 5 – and the September arrival of the new iPhone 6S and 6S Plus.

Perhaps more concerning, however, is where this places the S6 ranges’ sales historically. Notably the Galaxy S4 shipped 10M units in 27 days while the much criticised Galaxy S5 took 25 days to ship 10M units. In fact it was the lack of growth from the Galaxy S5 that inspired the radical reboot of the line seen in the S6es.

Consequently for combined sales of the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge to only pass 10M in a similar timeframe to the S5 and S4 represents a disastrous return. This is particularly true for the cheaper Galaxy S6 given Samsung has already confirmed demand for the Edge variant has been unexpectedly high.

All of which poses the obvious question: if Galaxy S6 Edge sales are performing above expectations, just how bad are Galaxy S6 sales?
- There's lots of sources but the excerpts are from here.

Ouch. IMO the phones are too expensive. You're not apple. Stop trying to maximize margins. Also battery life hit, and releasing two different models of your phone are an obvious mistake. But overall even if it had good battery life and only had 1 model I don't think it would do much better.

People just seem to be over high end android and are moving to iphone for that space.

kharma45

Funnily enough i tried to look for that today and noticed it was £20 now. CPW's new MVNO iD have a rolling 30 day (running on 3) for £12 for 2GB and £14 for 4GB best deal ive seen so far. Man, upgrading used to be a lot more fun than this bullshit.

The CPW one is an odd one. MNVOs are supposed to be cheaper than their parent network but iD looks to be worse all round :\

reKon

Banned
So as we all know, the S6 completely bombed. It shipped 10 million......that's shipped. And that's less than S4 and S5 which were already plummeting. It also apparently bombed everywhere. It also took a month to get to that number

Ouch. IMO the phones are too expensive. You're not apple. Stop trying to maximize margins. Also battery life hit, and releasing two different models of your phone are an obvious mistake. But overall even if it had good battery life and only had 1 model I don't think it would do much better.

People just seem to be over high end android and are moving to iphone for that space.

Like we all know, it's a down hill battle for Android... which sucks for us all
unless you like iOS

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Yep in general Apple at least in the West is owning the high end space and more and more people just don't want to pay that premium for Android hardware.

Plus to be honest I'm seeing more and more people in general even Apple fans not wanting to pay that super premium for a phone upgrade anymore. I think the general public is kinda over it.

Bigger Iphones killed Samsung's market. They need to get used to their new spot along with every other android phone maker.

reKon

Banned
I'd hardly say it sucks. I for one welcome the day when the world buys great performing phones without spending $700 a pop.

I think that innovation will be stagnant on these devices though. I mean how much longer with Samsung and the other big Android manufacturers invest in R&D to compete if the outcome results in disappointing sales against the Chinese and other manufacturers. Why wouldn't Samsung just focus on cheaper mid range devices that are actually spec'd well, and result in better margins and primarily focus their attention on other potential growing industry's?

I'm just worried that there will be a potential for the big manufacturers to not actually try to impress anymore. I don't want that to be reflected in the quality of the hardware in the consideration they put into this custom skin of Android.

Wreav

Banned
As great as the S6 is, Samsung was a year too late with it.

exactly this. took sammy 7 months to barely catch up to apple, at a ridiculous price point.

the iphone 6 is still the all around most solid package you can buy. the good news for sammy is they are stagnating as well, and the 6s will likely just be a 6 with a 12mp cam.

The general population is tired of shitty battery life and thats exactly what the s6 has. Not saying thats the only reason the phone bombed but that is a guaranteed to be killing an enormous amount of sales.

Wreav

Banned
The general population is tired of shitty battery life and thats exactly what the s6 has. Not saying thats the only reason the phone bombed but that is a guaranteed to be killing an enormous amount of sales.

More likely the reason is that most phones from 1-2 years ago are still perfectly fine.

Saiyan-Rox

Seems companies are more interested in more detailed higher res screens and gimmicks than getting batteries that will actually power it all for a good amount of time.

Seems companies are more interested in more detailed higher res screens and gimmicks than getting batteries that will actually power it all for a good amount of time.

I've said this before but if you read through the reviews of the s6 on vzw's website it is not good. Almost every one of them mentions the poor battery life.

Thank you samsung for displaying androids poor battery life in full glory instead of just having a decent battery and 1080p screen.

reKon

Banned

The battery tested fine in most of the benchmarks I've seen online. In fact, it should be easily matching/ maybe exceeding iPhone 6's battery. Is this a lollipop bug issue?

Wreav

Banned
I've said this before but if you read through the reviews of the s6 on vzw's website it is not good. Almost everyone of them mentions the poor battery life.

Thank you samsung for displaying androids poor battery life in full glory instead of just having a decent battery and 1080p screen.

I believe it. The amount of work I had to put in just to have the damn thing sleep properly is embarrassing.

More likely the reason is that most phones from 1-2 years ago are still perfectly fine.

meh people keep using this as an excuse of why android flagships flop a lot but apple has no trouble selling every single year and shattering records. And what really proves the logic wrong is that most of the people getting their latest phone are people switching or new owners and not upgrades.

There should always be some level of growth, not saying it has to be like apple's but there should be positive growth. Samsung is plummeting like cray.

They definitely impressed too late, people have already formed their opinions on samsung based on the s3,4,5 and it's clearly not a good opinion compared to the competition (apple). All they have left is their core audience I guess and not even they are leaving stellar reviews and whatnot. All in all it's too late. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the feedback from this year in the S7. And they still have the Note line which is showing actual growth I believe but it also never peaked as high and as fast as the galaxy S line so it's not a great comparison.

clav

I've said this before but if you read through the reviews of the s6 on vzw's website it is not good. Almost every one of them mentions the poor battery life.

The battery tested fine in most of the benchmarks I've seen online. In fact, it should be easily matching/ maybe exceeding iPhone 6's battery. Is this a lollipop bug issue?

I believe it. The amount of work I had to put in just to have the damn thing sleep properly is embarrassing.

But I thought people wanted fast charging.

People keep writing fast charging is more important than battery life because battery life becomes a non-issue.

Right guys?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I mean, pretty much, but you get to have your cake and eat it too with Apple.

As long as the cake is the flavour apple tell you to eat.

I get that apple is popular, and that they make nice phones. But the hardware and software on android is plenty good enough to be a solid alternative. Yet there is a huge gulf in sales. I just cant get my head alround how many people are willing to pay the crazy prices for iPhones, yet not for equivalent android hardware.

Will that ever turn around, or is the brand and momentum simply too strong?

Wreav

Banned
Apple has such loyalty because they own their entire stack, and have a track record of really good in-person customer service.

It's also helpful that Apple has had easy means of fully backing up your entire phone out of the box for years. Not as many people getting burned by that as with Android.

Add to that that Android is just now catching up to the hardware...I think OEMs took too long to really get in the game, and have relegated Android to 2nd tier where it rightfully belongs, with update rollouts like 5.0/5.1

A good post about Apple in general from another thread.

Toki767

Another problem with Android is probably that there are too many choices, but none that makes no compromises.

With iPhones (before the 6/6+) you basically only had 1 choice so you either bought it or you don't which made it feel like less of a compromise.

reKon

Banned
Apple has such loyalty because they own their entire stack, and have a track record of really good in-person customer service.

It's also helpful that Apple has had easy means of fully backing up your entire phone out of the box for years. Not as many people getting burned by that as with Android.

Add to that that Android is just now catching up to the hardware...I think OEMs took too long to really get in the game, and have relegated Android to 2nd tier where it rightfully belongs, with update rollouts like 5.0/5.1

A good post about Apple in general from another thread.

That last point kind of ruins this being a good post: "Seamless cloud / mobile / tablet / laptop / TV / Watch ecosystem with one account."

Wreav

Banned
Well, all those pieces are built in to their respective Apple devices. You'll be using 3rd party applications to achieve the same thing on Windows/Android. While it's certainly possible, it's not as fully integrated, which I think was his point. We're not all nerdy gaf posters, so simple and integrated always wins.

I always say that if you don't get why Apple is at the top and they do so effortlessly and the gap is huge....I don't know what to tell ya. I like both Android and iOS a ton but there's so much to say about the Apple experience that some don't realize or take for granted. It's a hundred little things and a few really big things that all just come together and require very little to no thought.

reKon

Banned
Well, all those pieces are built in to their respective Apple devices. You'll be using 3rd party applications to achieve the same thing on Windows/Android. While it's certainly possible, it's not as fully integrated, which I think was his point. We're not all nerdy gaf posters, so simple and integrated always wins.

Long post incoming (really I had to do this because I'm not understanding this point that people keep bringing up about integration):

When I get a new android phone or wipe a phone that I own clean and reinstall Android, I'm always presented with the option to restore all my apps, settings, contacts, and passwords, etc. I've never lost a contact. Lollipop even gives me the option now to actually hand pick which apps I had installed prior on the same exact device.

When I login to my Google account on ANY android device, I have access to my uploaded photos, files, videos, and music (via google music), from the respective google apps (google photo, drive, google movies/film, google books, google music). When I engage a group chat with my old college friends while checking my Gmail, I can continue that chat through my phone/tablet (yes, I've done this before because I just grabbed whatever device I had most close to me).

With any of my Lollipop devices, with one swipe and press of the toggle button, I can cast my screen to my HDTV. I don't even need to switch the input on the TV - it does it automatically. I almost literally don't have to do anything. Same thing applies to laptops running Chrome.

When set up a calendar event from my PC, I get notifications reminders for that event on whatever device I'm using based on how I set it.

When I'm signed into my Google account and I search for a location on maps on my PC, I'm confident that I will see that same location pop up as a recent search on my phone. I can then just tap and get directions to that same address. This is all done on default settings meaning that I don't have to change anything. Can you explain to me how much easier Google can make this process?

When I get reservation for my rental car & restaurants, airplane boarding information and when I schedule doctor appointments - Google syncs up the information across all on my devices and this is done by default

Cloud save has worked flawlessly for the developers that have implemented it (I'm not sure why more don't).

Everything I'm describing above is all so simple and doesn't require a tutorial. Only Google apps are involved here.

Even with the inclusion of casting with the third party apps is just as easy because all you have to do is look for the chromcast button and press it to cast that content. Don't get me started on Google Now. I rarely need to use it, but when I'm in a new city and I use it, it turns out to be a very powerful tool that's easy to use.

So what am I missing? What makes the Apple's experience so much more magical? I can see people saying iMessage only because of the ability to also see text messages on your Mac, so it helps the whole continuity aspect. But fortunately for me, this doesn't matter for the group chat I'm in because it's being done on hangouts.

^^ say what you will about what you can do on whatever platform. It's never as easy as it is on an iphone. Believe me I've tried casting multiple times from my phone to tv or whatever device and it's often times wonky as fuck. I've restored stuff from android device to another and it's never as simple and sometimes it doesn't bring anything back. I could bring tons of examples as I currently use both platforms side by side but I'm just lazy tbh lol.

Hell even PURCHASING a phone is easier than an iphone. Samsung has 2 models of the same flagship lol. Then the note comes into play with diff specs. Then all these other android phones that all lot different both in hardware and software at times. Then when you need support it's a lot harder to get it. The whole end to end experience with apple is just dead simple from the actual purchase of the phone to the end.

WITH THAT SAID, I do agree that android is good enough to be doing better than it is so it is a shame. I'm just saying I'm not surprised is all.

reKon

Banned
^^ say what you will about what you can do on whatever platform. It's never as easy as it is on an iphone. Believe me I've tried casting multiple times from my phone to tv or whatever device and it's often times wonky as fuck. I've restored stuff from android device to another and it's never as simple and sometimes it doesn't bring anything back. I could bring tons of examples as I currently use both platforms side by side but I'm just lazy tbh lol.

Hell even PURCHASING a phone is easier than an iphone. Samsung has 2 models of the same flagship lol. Then the note comes into play with diff specs. Then all these other android phones that all lot different both in hardware and software at times. Then when you need support it's a lot harder to get it. The whole end to end experience with apple is just dead simple from the actual purchase of the phone to the end.

WITH THAT SAID, I do agree that android is good enough to be doing better than it is so it is a shame. I'm just saying I'm not surprised is all.

I've never had an issue with sync contacts/apps,etc after a factory reset... even on older Android devices. And this is someone who use to change roms every few months, lol.

You've done fucked up your Google account son... but I'm seriously curious on what was so difficult for you about restoring your stuff. All you literally have to do is turn on syncing... (which is automatically activated on any Android device). Did you disable any of the syncing?

Regarding Chromecast, the only time it's been wonky for me is the google music app... and blame the google music app for that. This was more in the past when Chromecast was new and google music just got the chromecasting ability.

NotBacon

*lots of text*

Pretty much. I think the problem is brand recognition. It's ingrained in peoples heads that chat = imessage, music = itunes, cloud = icloud, apps = app store, video chat = face time... etc.

I bring up Google Play in casual conversation and there's literally a 50/50 chance the response will be "What? What's that. Like the App Store?".

Google has great services and are seamless enough for the general public........ but the recognition is almost nil. People just don't know there are quality alternatives to the Apple Ecosystem, and they don't really care either.

Toki767

Pretty much. I think the problem is brand recognition. It's ingrained in peoples heads that chat = imessage, music = itunes, cloud = icloud, apps = app store, video chat = face time... etc.

I bring up Google Play in casual conversation and there's literally a 50/50 chance the response will be "What? What's that. Like the App Store?".

Google has great services and are seamless enough for the general public........ but the recognition is almost nil. People just don't know there are quality alternatives to the Apple Ecosystem, and they don't really care either.

It also doesn't help that Samsung and Amazon have their own app stores on Android which might confuse people even more about where to get apps.

Husker86

I've never had an issue with sync contacts/apps,etc after a factory reset... even on older Android devices. And this is someone who use to change roms every few months, lol.

You've done fucked up your Google account son... but I'm seriously curious on what was so difficult for you about restoring your stuff. All you literally have to do is turn on syncing... (which is automatically activated on any Android device). Did you disable any of the syncing?

Regarding Chromecast, the only time it's been wonky for me is the google music app... and blame the google music app for that. This was more in the past when Chromecast was new and google music just got the chromecasting ability.
Oh come on. You lose game saves on any game that isn't cloud enabled. That was never an issue with the iPhone. I know you know this.

Lollipop really stepped up Android's restore game as far as apps go, but it's still not perfect.

On iPhone you don't even have to re-sign in to apps if you restore from PC. I think if you do icloud restore then you have to, though.

Oh come on. You lose game saves on any game that isn't cloud enabled. That was never an issue with the iPhone. I know you know this.

Lollipop really stepped up Android's restore game as far as apps go, but it's still not perfect.
yup and you got to keep in mind how few people have lollipop

reKon

Banned
yup and you got to keep in mind how few people have lollipop

restoring wasn't even issue on Kitkat or Jellybean for me either. I honestly can't say when that has ever been an issue for me, which is why I was surprised by your post. It has always just worked.

On iPhone you don't even have to re-sign in to apps if you restore from PC. I think if you do icloud restore then you have to, though.

Do ALL iphone/ipad games support cloud saving? I think the developers had to choose to integrate this? Or did something change over the past year or so

restoring wasn't even issue on Kitkat or Jellybean for me either. I honestly can't say when that has ever been an issue for me, which is why I was surprised by your post. It has always just worked.
It worked well enough on my nexus 9 when I factory reset after 5.1.1 but on kitkat I had lots of issues with it.

Also another problem (depending how you look at it) with android is that because it's an OS that enables you so much freedom adn features...there are also so many things that can go wrong whether it's rogue apps or some random setting you hit by accident doing something weird or whatever else. When I worked tech support I'd say 95% of my android calls were all user error all because they fiddled with random shit.

On an iphone you'd have to try pretty hard to fuck something up. In fact my biggest call driver with iphones was when people switched to another iphone and didn't disable imessage lol. Now it's easier to do that but yeah. Meanwhile all the android calls were weird as fuck. A lot of them touchwiz related! Some rogue apps some java errors some weird pop ups, some things disappearing, people not sure where files are going or where photos are backing up, and tons and tons of other random issues. Meanwhile iphone issues were literally identical 99% of the time and very easy to solve. Casuals don't have time for this shit. They really don't care about features and whatnot. They just want to "do" with the least headache possible.

reKon

Banned
It worked well enough on my nexus 9 when I factory reset after 5.1.1 but on kitkat I had lots of issues with it.

Also another problem (depending how you look at it) with android is that because it's an OS that enables you so much freedom adn features...there are also so many things that can go wrong whether it's rogue apps or some random setting you hit by accident doing something weird or whatever else. When I worked tech support I'd say 95% of my android calls were all user error all because they fiddled with random shit.

On an iphone you'd have to try pretty hard to fuck something up. In fact my biggest call driver with iphones was when people switched to another iphone and didn't disable imessage lol. Now it's easier to do that but yeah. Meanwhile all the android calls were weird as fuck. A lot of them touchwiz related! Some rogue apps some java errors some weird pop ups, some things disappearing, people not sure where files are going or where photos are backing up, and tons and tons of other random issues. Meanwhile iphone issues were literally identical 99% of the time and very easy to solve. Casuals don't have time for this shit. They really don't care about features and whatnot. They just want to "do" with the least headache possible.

I've also never owned a phone that runs on TouchWiz. The only Samsung phone I've owned was that fake nexus one
you all know which phone this is

Saiyan-Rox

What has this spiralled into? xD

I'll agree Iphone does have some things that are better. the Imessage support and updates for one (but with a degree of piss taking when it comes to updates) The backing up and cloud is something Google do need to work on. Sure Lollipop added a nice backup and restore thing for apps and settings but it's very hit and miss and if you're like me and use custom ROMS multiple devices even though it's the same phone can be set up and you can't remove them.

I've tried to delete backup data from my Google account loads of times but it always errors out so i've got loads of devices still attached. Google need to work on that and for Imessage Google could have that problem solved really easy if they put the effort in with hangouts.

I've had the lollipop restore fail once so far and another time I didnt back up my KOTOR save which would not have been a problem on an Apple device.

The restore also only works with 1 user account which is super annoying when you have more than 1 user on a tablet, If you are going to allow multiple user profiles allow your users to restore to both GOOGLE!

With Apple you just don't have to worry about anything. Hardware issues, software issues, battery drain - you can expect Apple to take care of it. Look at the advice you get when somebody asks why their Android phone's battery life is so bad. You get stuff like root and greenify every app on your phone or install apps one by one until you figure out which one is the rogue app. Smh.

I still remember when my Galaxy S3 had that clipboard crash bug. The phone would crash your app IF YOU COPIED TEXT TOO OFTEN and the only solution was to root and clear the clipboard cache with a file manager or FACTORY RESET to temporarily fix it. That issue was there for months until 4.1 hit. You think Apple would ever let a bug like that stick around for more than a few days? Think about all the other phones with issues that'll never be fixed because there aren't even enough people to care. Did the One M7's purple camera issue get fixed? Or the Z3C shattering backs? (serious questions because I don't actually know)

I think people not upgrading as often anymore since carriers are doing away with giving phone for Free or $299 w/contract ....I don't know, but happy with my S6 Edge ...and TBH I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon unless something ground breaking comes out...$600 to much money to waste every year or two.

At this point I think the Idol 3 seems like a better choice than the Zenphone 2. Pretty much the same specs except the CPU is slightly worse and less storage, but it has front speakers and supposedly better battery life as well as less bloat. The RAM is eh I guess is what you're really paying the extra 50 bucks for.

Top Bottom