• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Honestly the thing that takes it out of consideration is really just the atom. The rest you can live with for that phone as an inbetween phone while you wait for an upgrade or something.

Is it really that bad though. Googling shows it in theory should be much faster than the Snap 410 in all of the $199 and under devices.

Is it really that bad though. Googling shows it in theory should be much faster than the Snap 410 in all of the $199 and under devices.

It's not the speed it's the never getting updates that would bug me. Or at least having to wait forever.

All in all for the price it's good. I'd wait to see OP2 though.

Hasney

It isn't, unless the app is specifically compiled for x86, which few are. It takes a performance hit recompiling or emulating ARM, whichever one it does. Some apps are flat out not compatible too.

Add in less battery efficient and it's not a good recipe. Think Intel are subsidising slightly to get a foothold in the phone market the same way they are the cheap Windows 8.1 tablets and sticks, so if a few come out, the situation should change at least.

It isn't, unless the app is specifically compiled for x86, which few are. It takes a performance hit recompiling or emulating ARM, whichever one it does. Some apps are flat out not compatible too.

Add in less battery efficient and it's not a good recipe. Think Intel are subsidising slightly to get a foothold in the phone market the same way they are the cheap Windows 8.1 tablets and sticks, so if a few come out, the situation should change at least.

when i look at which OEMs use them, i'm convinced that Intel gives these things out for free to people who buy their PC parts.

Accoun

If a moto x is offered that'll probably be your best bet, being from the US I don't have the mist knowledge of polish providers

Well, it isn't. In fact my carrier's offerings seem rather pathetic. I guess that's the cost of a cheap plan? Actually, they don't seem to have any Moto phones? Maybe they used to have? Or maybe I got the wrong info?
Anyway, it's pretty much Xperia M2/T3, HTC Desire 620 (maybe 820), LG G3S and maybe Huawei Ascend G7 (which seems to have only 1,2 Ghz proccesor, but Snapdragon 410 instead of 400 -no idea how are they comparable- and 2GB RAM instead of 1 on most of the others).
Also, locked or unlocked bootloader, they all seem to have pretty much nonexisting alternative ROM support or actually don't have any (many don't even have an XDA page/subforum).

Wish we had that $150 LG G2 here.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just switched back to Android after 2 years of Windows Phone.
I love Lumias, but WP just isn't there yet. I feel like I'm finally free. I have a real phone again.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Active. You are so beautiful and heavy.

Just switched back to Android after 2 years of Windows Phone.
I love Lumias, but WP just isn't there yet. I feel like I'm finally free. I have a real phone again.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Active. You are so beautiful and heavy.

You could have either waited for the S6 active and bought that, or waited for the S6 active and bought the S5 at a cheaper price. Either way, you done fucked up bro.

You could have either waited for the S6 active and bought that, or waited for the S6 active and bought the S5 at a cheaper price. Either way, you done fucked up bro.

I signed a 2-year agreement (refusing to switch to NEXT plan) and paid $0 for the phone outside of the $40 upgrade fee.
How did I screw up? The S6 is still $200+.

What's wrong with the NEXT plan?

The plan I have is cheaper in the long run if you include the price of the phones. We math'd it out and we save about $200/yr on the current family plan. Those little calculators they have on their site are really inaccurate, we found out.
We don't plan on changing carriers or getting new phones within that time, so 2-yr agreements aren't a big deal.

The plan I have is cheaper in the long run if you include the price of the phones. We math'd it out and we save about $200/yr on the current family plan. Those little calculators they have on their site are really inaccurate, we found out.
We don't plan on changing carriers or getting new phones within that time, so 2-yr agreements aren't a big deal.

Yeah well your year old phone will be three years old by the end of 2 years. Bad move

You also could have done Cricket which is ATT owned. Same towers. 2.5 gb for only 35 a month. 5 bucks off per additional line.
Only draw backs are the LTE speed is slower and no roaming. Well worth the cost savings IMO.

So you know that touchscreen fix for the OPO? Turns out it's increased battery drain.
http://www.xda-developers.com/synaptics-touchscreen-fix-for-oneplus-one-drains-battery/

EDIT: Read it properly, turns out it's on nightlies. Actually got removed that the drain was so bad, so hopefully they can get another new version in soon.

This is so weird. People complain about touch screen issues, but it has never affected me at all. I don't mind a few bugs though, since they get fixed relatively soon usually in nightlies. Every phone has issues like this that aren't fixed.

3phemeral

All this positivity for Asus when I've had nothing but problems with every single product I've owned from them: Two TF101s, Asus Memo pad, OG Nexus 7, Asus laptop. Either faulty hardware, poor software support, or a combination thereof. Makes me think that none of you actually have experience with them or I'm the unluckiest person in the world with Asus. I'm having a hard time believing they've improved at all.

All this positivity for Asus when I've had nothing but problems with every single product I've owned from them: Two TF101s, Asus Memo pad, OG Nexus 7, Asus laptop. Either faulty hardware, poor software support, or a combination thereof. Makes me think that none of you actually have experience with them or I'm the unluckiest person in the world with Asus. I'm having a hard time believing they've improved at all.

Asus is the classic Taiwanese consumer electronics company through and through. They make good motherboards though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not convinced that the Snapdragon 400 is really powerful enough to be running Android Wear. There are moments when it completely lags or just isn't smooth at all.

I wonder if they'll move up to the Snapdragon 600 or even 800 for 2nd gen Wear devices.

Wasn't the 400 use in smartphines only a couple of years ago? I suppose it is clocked lower, and I think it is only dual core, but that should still be more than enough to drive a 320x320 screen and bluetooth connection.

Any lag may be software solvable. I don't want them to put more power in, they need longer battery life first

Toki767

Wasn't the 400 use in smartphines only a couple of years ago? I suppose it is clocked lower, and I think it is only dual core, but that should still be more than enough to drive a 320x320 screen and bluetooth connection.

Any lag may be software solvable. I don't want them to put more power in, they need longer battery life first

The 400 was used in budget smartphones a couple years ago. I just imagine something like the 800 series would have to be more power efficient by now.

kharma45

The 400 was used in budget smartphones a couple years ago. I just imagine something like the 800 series would have to be more power efficient by now.

It's still being used. The latest Moto G has it for example, and Microsoft is using it in their non-flagship Lumia phones. Probably more than just those.

Hasney

Decided to compile the rumours of the Moto 360 2. One points to the fucking flat tyre still being there and that was a picture from the Lenovo CEO. The other 2, an apparent render and a Motorola device codenamed Smelt running Android Wear with a 360x360 screen and ARM v7 instead of that fucking TI CPU point to it being a full circle.

If it's the former, I'll be buying LG. 9 days to hopefully find out.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
the 4GB/64GB version of the Zenfone 2 seems to be selling out everywhere

I'm not surprised. In terms of a new phone (not an older phone being cleared out) with the N5 being phased out the only choice in that price range is Oppo.

Just goes to show you how hungry the World Market is for lowerish priced phone that still offer good performance. There is a huge market segment that is over being on contract or paying $700 for a phone. They just want something that's better than the Moto E.

So, I'm looking for a new smartphone. After a good 3 years, my Galaxy S2 stopped working.

I'm thinking about going for a Galaxy S4. Been eyeing a Galaxy S4 16GB on a 2 year contract, with 1000GB 3G and 300 minutes/texting for €23,50 a month.

I don't need a top of the line phone, I use it for WhatsApp, phonecalls, take a picture here and there, browsing Gaf and Youtube, and some games. Was happy with my S2 during those three years.

Basically, my question is if you guys think the Galaxy S4 will be future proof, atleast for the upcoming 2 years.

(I also looked at the S5 and S6, but they're too expensive for me atm.)

Basically, my question is if you guys think the Galaxy S4 will be future proof, atleast for the upcoming 2 years.

Honestly? No. 2 years is a long time to be locked into a phone that old. You're better off getting newer phone that is mid end or something than a flagship that old. Assuming you really are interested in support for the next 2 years. Or just keep saving up until you can get better.

What other options are there that are within your budget? What is the budget? etc...

NH Apache

Banned
So, I'm looking for a new smartphone. After a good 3 years, my Galaxy S2 stopped working.

I'm thinking about going for a Galaxy S4. Been eyeing a Galaxy S4 16GB on a 2 year contract, with 1000GB 3G and 300 minutes/texting for €23,50 a month.

I don't need a top of the line phone, I use it for WhatsApp, phonecalls, take a picture here and there, browsing Gaf and Youtube, and some games. Was happy with my S2 during those three years.

See the zenfone 2 above. S4 will not last 2 years.

You are much better off looking at Motorola for cheap bang for your buck IMO.

The S4 is at end of life and is kind of awkward since it still uses a hardware menu button. This is no longer used for Android apps.

Yeah well your year old phone will be three years old by the end of 2 years. Bad move

You also could have done Cricket which is ATT owned. Same towers. 2.5 gb for only 35 a month. 5 bucks off per additional line.
Only draw backs are the LTE speed is slower and no roaming. Well worth the cost savings IMO.

That's... not a concern at all. Like I said, I just came from Windows Phone, which (outside the camera) is behind by about 4 years. Seriously, this Galaxy S5 Active is blowing my mind. I'm used to being a little behind on technology.
Also, I used to have cricket a few years ago, but their speeds were just terrible in my area. Less than 3G speeds. It was awful. I don't live in a big city, so I miss out on a lot of benefits. Also, like I said, my phone was free.

NH Apache

Banned
but if an S5 ON CONTRACT is out of his budget, there's a good chance the Zen is too.or not. I donno.

Yeah, unfortunately. It's too bad, too. At the cost, and with contract, that zenfone would be nearly free. But it is possible that the price is kept down because it is being sold carrier independent.

S4 won't make the journey, but if you can drop another 50 euros for the next tier up, it would make a big difference in a year.

but if an S5 ON CONTRACT is out of his budget, there's a good chance the Zen is too.or not. I donno.

Cheapest I can find the S5 atm is €33 a month on a 2 year contract, which is a bit too high for my liking. I can think about it. Do they sell the Zenfone 2 in the Netherlands? Can only find one site that sells the 4GB/32GB it for €410. Just really poor atm, just have a thesis left then I'm done with uni.

I'm using a Galaxy Young right now and it's so shitty, but hey, I can call people and it has WhatsApp.

Top Bottom