• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Wreav

Banned
All of my immediate and extended family now relies on the fingerprint scanner to keep the kids off of their phones.

People will be expecting this going forward and will pass on phones if it doesnt have it. Not to mention that we are close to having it built into the panel.

And don't forget, Apple now has 3 generations of devices with this tech, and it's not going anywhere.

In two to three years, every functional Apple mobile device will have the capability.

Hasney

I've never even seen someone use Apple Pay in person yet.

I can't see it taking off here in the UK too much unless Apple Watch gains traction in a few gens. NFC credit cards are probably easier than pulling out your phone and unlocking it.

I've never cared for a fingerprint scanner tbh. Smart unlock does too good a job and will do even more once I get a smartwatch with it set as a trusted device. Can see the kids argument though.

I can't see it taking off here in the UK too much unless Apple Watch gains traction in a few gens. NFC credit cards are probably easier than pulling out your phone and unlocking it.

Althout I agree with your statement you dont have to unlock your phone first with apple pay. Its just as easy as a credit card.

Talon

I've never cared for a fingerprint scanner tbh. Smart unlock does too good a job and will do even more once I get a smartwatch with it set as a trusted device. Can see the kids argument though.
Apple Pay is comically fast. I was surprised the first time I used it.

Hasney

Althout I agree with your statement you dont have to unlock your phone first with apple pay. Its just as easy as a credit card.

I thought you still had to at least fingerprint unlock it?

Apparently Android Pay is going to be a thing talked about at I/O. Hopefully that means Android Wear will have NFC support too.

Apple Pay is comically fast. I was surprised the first time I used it.

Ah, fair enough. Still, it's not available here yet but NFC equipped cards are provided by every major bank I believe right now, so using that will probably be embedded by the time it does launch.

I was a beta tester for Barclays NFC system via a wrist band I could load with cash at Black Sabbath/Soundgarden/Motorhead/Faith No More gig. It was fantastic because although the front end system worked, the back end failed to subtract any money for it so all my beer was free.

Talon

Out of curiosity from the OT thread, I did a little digging.

S4 - Sold 10 million units in the first month. - Straight from JK Shin.
S5 - Sold 11 million units in the first month. - Straight from JK Shin.
S6 - Sold 10 million units in the first month. - Confirmed from Samsung official.

So sales are down generation to generation - albeit with a higher ASP. Not surprised. High end Android is about where high end PCs were around 2000. The demand is starting to slip.
In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Samsung’s co-chief executive and head of the mobile business J.K. Shin confirmed what some reports already revealed – that the Galaxy S5 has been selling very well in the first month – and provided a sales number for the phone’s first month.

Shin said that Samsung managed to sell 11 million Galaxy S5 units in the first month, beating the Galaxy S4 first month sales by 1 million units.

Source
WSJ Interview

South Korea's top tech giant Samsung Electronics Co. said Tuesday its global shipments of the latest flagship Galaxy S6 models surpassed 10 million units in about one month after their release.

"The sales of the Galaxy S6 series have already surpassed 10 million," a high-ranking Samsung official said. It marked the first time for the company to confirm the sales figure of the latest flagship.

Source

I thought you still had to at least fingerprint unlock it?

Apparently Android Pay is going to be a thing talked about at I/O. Hopefully that means Android Wear will have NFC support too.

Pretty sure you just have your thumb on the fingerprint and while touching the nfc reader and you are done.

The drawback of this is the NFC capability only allows payments and nothing else.

Hasney

S4 was clearly enough dogshit to ruin the party for them. God that was my worst phone ever and I had the NGage.

I have heard about a lot of peoples S3's not making it through their full 2 year contract too though. The manufacturers that have their own stores like Sony Style stores need to start doing in store exchanges for faulty phones like Apple do. That was the only thing that was pulling me back to Apple, how easy it is to get a replacement phone for a reasonable price even if it's your fuck up.

Talon

Pretty sure you just have your thumb on the fingerprint and while touching the nfc reader and you are done.

The drawback of this is the NFC capability only allows payments and nothing else.
Focusing on merchant transactions is missing the forest for the trees. Apple Pay has bigger implications for purchases through the device - e.g. payment platforms, stores, etc. It makes purchasing extremely frictionless yet also more secure than typing in your digits.

Apple Pay's an evolving story.

Rumor in the valley is that Google will buy Square. That would be very interesting.

Asking a question on behalf of a friend of mine.

Her current phone, an ancient Samsung S3 is near death and is looking to get a temporary phone in the meantime as she's debating if she wants to go with an iPhone this go around or stick with Android.

Her max budget is 250 Euro and wants to know what's a good phone for that price. Carrier is Maltese, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Google Tracker: I/O 2015 edition—Android M, Chromecast 2, and lots more

Google I/O will be here in mere days, and that means it's time for the 2015 edition of our Google Tracker. If you're new to the series, Google Tracker is a running list of all the projects going on at Google HQ. We do bi-annual installments—one at the beginning of the year and one just before I/O—making this the fourth edition on Ars.

The benefit of a pre-I/O Tracker? A lot of these projects will probably launch! We at least have the Google I/O schedule to work from, and we try to tie what we're talking about into that as much as possible. While we're not guaranteeing everything on here will be released at the big show, this is a definite list of possibilities, and we'll mention what ranks high on the "plausibility" scale. So if you're not glued to Google news 24/7, this is a great way to catch up on everything you missed.

Wreav

Banned
Smartlock doesn't excite me in the least. Requires extra battery life, isn't always accurate, and still requires a swipe on the lock screen which is slower than fingerprint.

clav

I object. Well it depends. Are you signing a contract? If so, I object! Not future proofed enough to sign on for 2 years. Only referring to cpu and lack of fingerprint and whatever else I'm forgetting. I'm sure it's a fine phone though. I know it is. But I don't know. You know?

Yes. Is the CPU that bad?

I would be upgrading from a Galaxy S3.

clav

No. The CPU on the G4 is fine.

My main concern is the microphone. I watched some G4 recorded videos, and the sound is kind of tin-can like.

I remember people complaining about the G2 phone and its mic for phone conversations.

Can anyone comment on call quality?

NH Apache

Banned
Asking a question on behalf of a friend of mine.

Her current phone, an ancient Samsung S3 is near death and is looking to get a temporary phone in the meantime as she's debating if she wants to go with an iPhone this go around or stick with Android.

Her max budget is 250 Euro and wants to know what's a good phone for that price. Carrier is Maltese, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Zenfone 2 64GB 4GB ram. Demolishes.

Then get the 16GB 2GB RAM version?

I suggested it as it falls within your prescribed price range.

Linky: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/asus-zenfone-2-launched-europe-available-buy-france-1494286

Thanks you both, especially for the link NH Apache, as it does highlight the different model numbers/price ranges (missed seeing that when I skimmed the ASUS pr).

My friend doesn't really need too much space and her micro SD card still works so probably the 16GB version is a better fit for the time being versus getting the 64GB/4GB RAM version.

I'll send her the link shortly.

Wreav

Banned
The S6 alternate lock method while using fingerprint is so terrible. Why they force a passphrase is beyond me, did Apple patent having a 4 digit PIN as a backup?

Toki767

The S6 alternate lock method while using fingerprint is so terrible. Why they force a passphrase is beyond me, did Apple patent having a 4 digit PIN as a backup?

Yeah. That's pretty annoying. Especially when PINs and even the pattern locking are options.

Am I the only weird one that doesn't lock my phone?
I don't lock it either. I can't justify doing something even slightly annoying dozens of times a day unless the risk it's saving me from is death or maiming. If it were to be stolen or lost, I'll use my laptop to lock it remotely.

That having been said, I'd like to own an iOS device one day and try fingerprint unlock in my day-to-day use. If it's truly seamless, I'd go for it.

Husker86

That having been said, I'd like to own an iOS device one day and try fingerprint unlock in my day-to-day use. If it's truly seamless, I'd go for it.
It is. S6 fingerprint scanner is even better than TouchID on the iPhone 6. I hope it becomes commonplace on Android phones. I'd love a Nexus with it.

Though, half the reason it works so well on the S6 is because it has a home button. Being able to tap the home button to turn the screen on and leave your finger there to unlock is great, just like the iPhone. I'm worried that it will be annoying on other Android phones; hitting the power button first definitely takes away from the seamless process.

Wreav

Banned
Each have their pluses and minuses. S6's is shaped strangely, so awkward to do if the phone is resting on the table. However, I find the S6 is faster to recognize my finger, and can do so even when my finger is damp, which the iP6 just shits over.

I greatly prefer the recessed button on the iP6 too, less jank. My S6 home button already wobbles loosely.

Toki767

It is. S6 fingerprint scanner is even better than TouchID on the iPhone 6. I hope it becomes commonplace on Android phones. I'd love a Nexus with it.

Though, half the reason it works so well on the S6 is because it has a home button. Being able to tap the home button to turn the screen on and leave your finger there to unlock is great, just like the iPhone. I'm worried that it will be annoying on other Android phones; hitting the power button first definitely takes away from the seamless process.

See: Huawei's fingerprint scanner.

It goes from screen off to unlocked just by putting your finger on it. No button presses necessary.

Have there been any rumors on upcoming Nexus hardware? I just dropped my N5 and cracked the screen, trying to juggle my daughter and her bag. I'm wondering if I should get a used one off ebay or deal with it for a couple of months if there's something new coming soon.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

I love the fingerprint scanner on the S6, but I think the one on iPhone works better, and I think the main reason for that is the shape of the home button.

Qualcomm's new ultrasonic fingerprint scanner will be better than both though.

What I want is fingerprint scanning technology on the screen itself, that would be amazing.

Out of curiosity from the OT thread, I did a little digging.

S4 - Sold 10 million units in the first month. - Straight from JK Shin.
S5 - Sold 11 million units in the first month. - Straight from JK Shin.
S6 - Sold 10 million units in the first month. - Confirmed from Samsung official.

So sales are down generation to generation - albeit with a higher ASP. Not surprised. High end Android is about where high end PCs were around 2000. The demand is starting to slip.
to be clear, the s6 SHIPPED 10 mil. And you KNOW they overshipped considering they were hoping to sell 70 mil. So it's worse than it seems.

Toki767

Is that S6 number just the S6 or the S6 + S6 Edge?

On a side note: Samsung USA or even Samsung in general needs a new slogan. "The Next Big Thing" line is like 3 years old already. And they've already used it 6 or 7 times.

Weren't they having supply issues with the edge?
possibly but I doubt that was the case for the regular S6. The fact that the Edge was selling "above expectations" and then these numbers come out and we also know that there may have been a supply issue it makes you wonder how little the S6 sold.

Is that S6 number just the S6 or the S6 + S6 Edge?

On a side note: Samsung USA or even Samsung in general needs a new slogan. "The Next Big Thing" line is like 3 years old already. And they've already used it 6 or 7 times.
it's both

Top Bottom