• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Dat battery life doe.

Weirdly enough, I'm seeing the battery is either very good for some or only okay with others. It's weird... I wonder what is killing its battery life so badly.

Also, it is the Korean version (I think) being reviewed, not the NA version, if that makes any difference, I'm not sure.

For battery: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/LG/11608592/LG-G4-review-shoot-to-thrill.html
About the same as the S6.

I'm sure for most people, it will last all day. Remember, NA's version will have Qualcomm's QuickCharge 2.0.

Check the battery contacts. Wedge something from the other side to make sure theres no give between the contact pins. Another win for sealed battery huh?

My friend ended up getting a Zenfone 5 A501CG (didn't ask about what color she picked) and also took her ailing S3 to a local tech shop so that they can look at it again, including the battery.

She paid about 215 Euro for her phone and seems pleased with it so far, but she did just get it today so I don't think she's done some real-world testing yet.

Again, thanks everyone for your help!

Toki767

Weirdly enough, I'm seeing the battery is either very good for some or only okay with others. It's weird... I wonder what is killing its battery life so badly.

Also, it is the Korean version (I think) being reviewed, not the NA version, if that makes any difference, I'm not sure.

For battery: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/LG/11608592/LG-G4-review-shoot-to-thrill.html
About the same as the S6.

I'm sure for most people, it will last all day.

Probably a rogue app somewhere. That or some bug that'll get fixed.

How do I manually root my Nexus 7 (2013)? I just flashed the 5.1.1, installed TWRP, and can never remember what else I have to do. I just need to install something in TWRP, right? Anyone know what that is/have a link?

Edit:
Was just missing the SuperSU flashable root. I'm good now!
Edit 2:
Huh, TWRP automatically installs SuperSU if you boot into recovery then shutdown.

reKon

Banned
Curious, is the Shield really the best overall Android tablet out there right now? I have a Nexus 2012 and thinking of upgrading.

It's definitely the best bang for your buck tablet with the Galaxy Tabs S 8.4 coming in a close 2nd.

I'm actually on my way to a Microcenter soon to browse around and check a demo unit. Because it's so close to June/July I'm going to wait it out and see if Nvidia's next tablet is announced and see what if it offers. There are also the new line of Galaxy Tab S tablets coming soon, but they might launch with a high price. The Nvidia Shield Tablet launched at $299. If they announce a new tablet that has better build tablet and is thinner, then I might be willing to pay $350 at launch...

Wreav

Banned
Curious, is the Shield really the best overall Android tablet out there right now?

The-Shield.jpg

The shield tablet is plagued with its own issues as well. The nexus 9 got a lot better with the latest update as long as you arent consistently using multiple user profiles

Dead

well not really...yet
The Shield is really good, but has issues like crackling and noise coming through the speakers when not in use, cracks in the case, potential lightbleed, and possible wi-fi issues.

Nexus 9, I tried like 4 of them. Never had one without either terrible lightbleed that makes media consumption an eyesore, impossible to use button rockers. Overall Poor build quality.

The Galaxy Tab S has awful battery life, touchwiz, slow performance, etc.

If you want the overall best Android Tablet, IMO it's the Dell Venue 8 7000. Its just been updated to Lollipop (pretty much stock) and is super smooth. It's OLED so no lightbleed, and the build quality is unsurpassed compared to any other Android tablet out there.

NotBacon

I don't feel like starting a thread about this but I thought I'd ask here:

I'm looking for a new phone. I'd like something that is at least dual core, fairly large screen (not a necessity), very good battery life (at least a full day with moderate use), and not anything tied to AT&T. Has to be powerful enough to run most emulators and current mobile games. Edit: and I'm looking at something under $200.

2nd edit: cannot be a contract phone.

I've always used pay as you go phones so I'm looking at either Sprint or Verizon.

That's slightly unrealistic expectations for a phone under $200 off-contract.

Nevertheless, look at the Zenphone 2 and Moto G.

The shield tablet is plagued with its own issues as well. The nexus 9 got a lot better with the latest update as long as you arent consistently using multiple user profiles

I would never use multiple profiles. It would just be for me. Is the build quality and camera still suspect though?

VoxPop

Thank god my old Android devices never retained value so I kept them all. Except the Galaxy Nexus which is probably part of a steering wheel or something by now. Time to go buy a bunch of used Android devices and take over the world!

I kinda like the G4 aside from the ugly stitching in the back and their logo up front. A disappointment to hear about that battery life though. The Daniel Bryan of the smartphone world. Does it use a Snapdragon processor? Or is that reserved for the US of A?

I would never use multiple profiles. It would just be for me. Is the build quality and camera still suspect though?

- The creaky/flexible back was never an issue on mine and mine was a launch one. If a purchased one was like that it should be returned immediately.
- I never use the camera so I cant comment on that.
- I have a small amount of light bleed but the only way I see it is if I intentionally look for it. The LCD is great.
- The buttons are short but its never really bothered me.

TheRook

Should I wait post Google I/O to decide on upgrading my Nexus 5?

I've lately been on that phone photographer hype and I want to upgrade to something with a pretty ballin' Camera like the LG G4 or the S6.

But I really like stock Android and I've never been really fond of skins like Touchwiz or HTC Sense. I like getting updates in a somewhat timely manner and not having all that excessive bloatware pre-installed on the device.

I know the solution most people mention is rooting the phone but I don't trust myself in doing it without potentially bricking my device.

AndroidGAF help a bro out.

I've lately been on that phone photographer hype and I want to upgrade to something with a pretty ballin' Camera like the LG G4 or the S6.

But I really like stock Android and I've never been really fond of skins like Touchwiz or HTC Sense. I like getting updates in a somewhat timely manner and not having all that excessive bloatware pre-installed on the device.

I know the solution most people mention is rooting the phone but I don't trust myself in doing it without potentially bricking my device.

s6 has the best camera. G4 has a good one too. Nothing coming later in the year will be close. And no handset will be announced at IO. That would be a big surprise. All that's left is nexus 2015 (won't have a great camera), moto x 2015 (obv won't have a great camera) and OP2 (toss up camera wise).

VoxPop

If the camera is important, you should definitely be leaning towards the S6. The other phones just redraw via mspaint what they think the picture should look like.

reKon

Banned
Went to the store to play with some possible future hardware. I really don't need a laptop at all... since I have the Thinkpad X1 Carbon from work and the fast as shit desktop at home, but I played with the new dell XPS 13 and Asus Zenbook UX305. Both are so damn impressive. It's crazy that Asus is selling this thing for $700. I mean the build quality is reallyreally fucking nice. The only issues are that it uses Core M and has no backlit keyboard. It's still plenty fast though..

I played the Nvidia Shield and I felt that the build quality was solid. I might be tempted to buy it if it hits a $200 price point, but I think I've decided that I'm just going to wait for the new tablets. If there was ever a crazy sale on that Asus and it dipped below $600, I would have to say fuck it and buy the thing. But then again, there's always the new surface

And yes, I'm talking about windows laptops in an android thread, but for my uses I could go with either because I'm looking for something that's high performing when it comes to browsing and watching movies, but something that's extremely thin, portable, and can hit that 9 - 10 hour battery life doing such. I want access to my android apps, so that's why I'm still leaning towards a powerful, thin android tablet.

TheRook

So the S6 really is like the best all around android phone of this year?

I like the design/build of the phone, I just wished it came in black but the gold looks really nice. I was just wondering if anything else was going to pop up at Google I/O, since last year they did announce a few of smartwatches, I was hoping they would bring back Google Play Editions.

I like the design/build of the phone, I just wished it came in black but the gold looks really nice. I was just wondering if anything else was going to pop up at Google I/O, since last year they did announce a few of smartwatches, I was hoping they would bring back Google Play Editions.
I don't know about "all round". Battery life is disappointing. Other than that though, it seems to be the phone to beat for year.

I say just wait until Q3 if you're unsure. By then everything will have leaked/been announced.

Toki767

The S6 does come in black...it just tends to look dark blue under lighting.

The odds of a new phone being announced at I/O seem incredibly low at this rate.

I also don't expect any of the rest of the phones coming out this year to really be anything but a better iteration of last year's flagships. Most OEMs will probably take the LG approach for this year rather than the Samsung approach in completely revamping an entire phone design.

Jigolo

Yes it is. By far

Wreav

Banned
S6 is the Android phone I've always wanted, except for the battery and skin. So close, but still best of the year so far.

The S6 does come in black...it just tends to look dark blue under lighting.

The odds of a new phone being announced at I/O seem incredibly low at this rate.

I also don't expect any of the rest of the phones coming out this year to really be anything but a better iteration of last year's flagships. Most OEMs will probably take the LG approach for this year rather than the Samsung approach in completely revamping an entire phone design.

tumblr_mna8t4Jxh51qh37ixo1_250.gif

- The creaky/flexible back was never an issue on mine and mine was a launch one. If a purchased one was like that it should be returned immediately.
- I never use the camera so I cant comment on that.
- I have a small amount of light bleed but the only way I see it is if I intentionally look for it. The LCD is great.
- The buttons are short but its never really bothered me.

Is it really worth the $479 though for a 32GB? Or would it be just fine to go after an Nvidia Shield (one inch smaller and definitely cheaper) or the Tab S 8.4, which is $349 for 32GB with expandable storage?

Top Bottom