• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Predictable but:

Google’s new mobile operating system, Android M, will include native fingerprint authentication, BuzzFeed News has learned. The new functionality will allow users to log in to all of the supported applications on their Android devices without entering a password.

The report is very light on details, but it does note that users will be able to log in to “all supported applications” on their devices without entering a password. Unless there are some unforeseen circumstances, it seems we’ll be hearing more about the feature in just about a week…

so basically fingerprint support and APIs.

JoeFu

Banned
LG G4 still has no freaking release date? I need to replace my Nexus 5... My mic crapped out on me and can only talk over speakerphone now.

jokkir

Android OS, please. Seriously, what is this

8N67tVY.png

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That's my nightmare, my note 4 is a joke in battery life. I'm so sick of it, I'm ready to move on, can't believe how Google jacked up my otherwise wonderful device.

So I did show my friend the ZenFone 2 and though she likes it, unfortunately it's not available in Malta yet (according to her).

Her S3 rebooted again randomly so she's at her wit's end and will go phone shopping soon, though not sure whether she'll go Android again or try out iOS (she already has an iPad and iPod touch).

Again, thanks all for the recommendation on the ZenFone 2.

EvetS

So I did show my friend the ZenFone 2 and though she likes it, unfortunately it's not available in Malta yet (according to her).

Her S3 rebooted again randomly so she's at her wit's end and will go phone shopping soon, though not sure whether she'll go Android again or try out iOS (she already has an iPad and iPod touch).

Again, thanks all for the recommendation on the ZenFone 2.

Check the battery contacts. Wedge something from the other side to make sure theres no give between the contact pins. Another win for sealed battery huh?

NotBacon

Yes, I do and I am always looking for something else. Though I'm fairly happy with the N6, the battery needs some work.

No, diversity sucks. Stay in the N6 clan forever.

In 2050 when people have phones in their eyelids, we could still be rocking the N6 with style...

terrier

Android OS, please. Seriously, what is this

8N67tVY.png

i'ma having the same issues lately on my note 4, thank god it has a great battery and still reach the end of the day but it is annoying. I use cpu spy and it doesn't go into deep sleep mode, it stays at 300mhz. Is there a way to know which app is doing that? i am sure it is G+ and photo backup, as it usually only happens after i get home and i have photos to upload.
I hope google finally makes photos a standalone app (though it could also be a mess knowing google)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

In 2050 when people have phones in their eyelids, we could still be rocking the N6 with style...
I have to say it's probably the best phone to wop someone over the head with.

Android Factory Reset doesn't actually Reset important things:
http://arstechnica.com/security/201...eaves-crypto-and-login-keys-ripe-for-picking/

The researchers tested the factory reset of 21 Android smartphones that ran versions 2.3.x to 4.3 of the mobile OS and were sold by five manufacturers. All of the phones retained at least some fragments of old data, including contact data stored in the phone app and third-party apps such as Facebook and What'sApp, images and video from the camera, and text-based conversations from SMS and e-mail apps. In 80 percent of phones, the researchers were able to extract the master token Android uses to give access to most Google user data, such as Gmail and Google calendar.

As an experiment, the researchers recovered a master token from a reset phone and restored the credential file.

"After the reboot, the phone successfully re-synchronised contacts, emails, and so on," they reported. "We recovered Google tokens in all devices with flawed Factory Reset, and the master token 80% of the time. Tokens for other apps such as Facebook can be recovered similarly. We stress that we have never attempted to use those tokens to access anyone's account."

Selling your old Android device suddenly became a really bad idea.

terrier

despite the hate it gets, my wife loves her S4+, it performs well, and is compact and small for a 5 inch phone,. My contract ends this october and i am happy with my note 4 so i will keep it and probably get a phone for her, since it will be 18 months old. But i am having a hard time finding a decent phone that has a 5 inch screen and has a similar size and at least comparable specs (SD800 2GB ram +2500mAh battery) : Z3 and M8 are too big , Moto G could be the one but 1GB of ram is not enough even if SD400 gives enough performance probably.

Any suggestions?

Se doesn't care about camera but extra battery would be nice too. Maybe the rumoured Moto G 3rd generation would be the one, or the next nexus if battery is good enough

Hasney

despite the hate it gets, my wife loves her S4+, it performs well, and is compact and small for a 5 inch phone,. My contract ends this october and i am happy with my note 4 so i will keep it and probably get a phone for her, since it will be 18 months old. But i am having a hard time finding a decent phone that has a 5 inch screen and has a similar size and at least comparable specs (SD800 2GB ram +2500mAh battery) : Z3 and M8 are too big , Moto G could be the one but 1GB of ram is not enough even if SD400 gives enough performance probably.

Any suggestions?

Se doesn't care about camera but extra battery would be nice too. Maybe the rumoured Moto G 3rd generation would be the one, or the next nexus if battery is good enough

Z3 Compact?

popeutlal

Okay - I have a Droid Maxx, but I need a new phone. I love all of the features, especially the touch less control. Verizon.

Wat do
Put CM12.1 on it. I was thinking of buying a new phone...I installed CM12.1 on my Maxx last week. Its like a completely new phone, performance wise.

Everything is so smooth with no hints of lag.

Eanan

Id honestly give someone a Jim face (The Office USA character) if I saw them with that Iron Man galaxy in person.

Hasney

Id honestly give someone a Jim face (The Office USA character) if I saw them with that Iron Man galaxy in person.

Because the colour scheme is so awesome your tiny little mind would implode?

To be fair, I really wish they didn't put the face on the back. It could have been awesome looking with that.

Groof

Because the colour scheme is so awesome your tiny little mind would implode?

To be fair, I really wish they didn't put the face on the back. It could have been awesome looking with that.

BUT HOW WOULD PEOPLE KNOW IT WAS AN IRON MAN PHONE

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thanks to GAF banner ads, I just noticed that Vodafone is selling the Z3 pay as you go for £300 until Monday. Cheapest I've seen it anywhere.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Any suggestions?

Lumia 930? Semi serious

Noema

Don't know if this has been posted:

Anandtech Zenfone 2 Preview, review is coming soon. It's pretty positive for the most part.

I kinda want the $200 one to replace my Moto G. I wonder how much of a problem that x86 CPU would be...Non-native apps would run on ART anyway regardless of architecture, so the question is native apps, depending on how many ARM native apps have been recompiled at this point. x86 Android can run ARM code via emulation, right? I guess I could just run an x86 build of Android on VirtualBox and try some of my apps.

ElTopo

Banned
I don't feel like starting a thread about this but I thought I'd ask here:

I'm looking for a new phone. I'd like something that is at least dual core, fairly large screen (not a necessity), very good battery life (at least a full day with moderate use), and not anything tied to AT&T. Has to be powerful enough to run most emulators and current mobile games. Edit: and I'm looking at something under $200.

2nd edit: cannot be a contract phone.

I've always used pay as you go phones so I'm looking at either Sprint or Verizon.

I don't feel like starting a thread about this but I thought I'd ask here:

I'm looking for a new phone. I'd like something that is at least dual core, fairly large screen (not a necessity), very good battery life (at least a full day with moderate use), and not anything tied to AT&T. Has to be powerful enough to run most emulators and current mobile games.

I've always used pay as you go phones so I'm looking at either Sprint or Verizon.
lg g4
note 4
asus zenfone 2 that just came out and is really cheap off contract

Noema

Regardless of the fate of the Zenfone 2, I hope it finally kickstarts a move to 2GB of RAM as a minimum for Android budget phones.

1GB of RAM is like a Gulag of smartphone user experience.

ElTopo

Banned
get a note 4 then. It came out late last year so there might be a deal for it on contract. Has great battery. Big screen. Other specs are top of the line.

Just made a 2nd edit. It cannot be a contract phone. I started a new job and I'm unsure if my position will be permanent.

Just made a 2nd edit. It cannot be a contract phone. I started a new job and I'm unsure if my position will be permanent.
then really the only choice is the new zenfone 2. The 199 version or the other one if you can afford a little extra. You won't get all those other things in a phone that cheap.

Rootbeer

Banned

N6 clan would be nice... but I'm still in the N5 clan :) I hope they can tempt me with the 2015 Nexus model, whatever it ends up being. Might be unlikely, but crossing my fingers for a fingerprint scanner this time. If it's just a modified LG G4, the better camera would be a big step up from my N5 though.

Top Bottom