• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

RedFyn

I'm impressed. I like the clean look and the all accounts inbox is nice. Its a bit sharper than I'm used to but I think I'll be using this over gmail. I do hope they add the option to change the color soon.

Husker86

Cmon more leaks. FEED ME MORE.

Also am I alone in thinking Inbox isn't that good. The new outlook app is pretty damn great. It's simple and the features are useful, love the dropbox/drive integration and all that.

Meanwhile I tried out inbox and that shit was so fucking complicated I couldn't continue.

I've tried Inbox several times and gave it a good amount of usage each time...I just can't.

I love the "snoozing emails" feature. That is one thing that I would use regularly. But the rest...I just can't archive everything, there are some things that I absolutely want deleted and managing my Inbox (I always keep it clear) involved many extra taps over the course of the day; I always end up back on Gmail.

Using it on the desktop is slightly better.

The new outlook app is really nice, but I find no reason to use it over the gmail app or other top email apps. Plus, I think it's ugly, so yeah.

Inbox is really good too, but it takes a lot more taps to delete emails. If Google adds a way to quickly delete things, I might use it full time over the standard gmail app.

Also, I find it hilarious every time some new app hotness is released. Tech blogs, journalists, and other random people on the internet proclaim shit as the best whatever yet (like the new Outlook), when in reality, these apps really don't do anything better than the best competing apps in the same category, and those competing apps (with basically the exact same feature sets) were just labeled the best thing ever only a few months prior.

It's a never ending cycle of hype and hyperbole.

Sch1sm

The Outlook app is miles ahead of using gmail for Exchange accounts, so in that regard, it's nice to have.

But unnecessary considering you have the functionality within Gmail even though it's behind. I'm just picky with wasted space, though. That sad, no SD slot Nexus 5 life.

NotBacon

Groof

Those S6 renders are believable. Looks sort of like the A3 and A5, which was expected I suppose.

Need the full story though

rrvv

I havent seen anybody bring extra battery for their Galaxy. usually they bring portable charger. So I can see why they ditch removable case for thinness and water proofing

Hasney

I havent seen anybody bring extra battery for their Galaxy. usually they bring portable charger. So I can see why they ditch removable case for thinness and water proofing

It was one of the things that attracted me to the S4. I have a separate battery and charger for the thing and it's great.

One thing I haven't heard about is SD card support.

Groof

I think it's rarer out here in the west to see people bring extra batteries because it's an added cost. Not to mention you'd need the external battery charger to use it to its fullest.
In some countries in Asia however they pack an extra battery and the charger in with the phone so over there it's more common to see.

Personally I don't care either way. As long as the battery is strong enough to get through a full day then it's fine in my book.

Hasney

I think it's rarer out here in the west to see people bring extra batteries because it's an added cost. Not to mention you'd need the external battery charger to use it to its fullest.
In some countries in Asia however they pack an extra battery and the charger in with the phone so over there it's more common to see.

Personally I don't care either way. As long as the battery is strong enough to get through a full day then it's fine in my book.

Eh, £20 for the official external charger and battery kit was pretty damn good. Saved my arse once the USB port on the phone broke too.

Groof

Eh, £20 for the official external charger and battery kit was pretty damn good. Saved my arse once the USB port on the phone broke too.
Sure, but it's still an added cost and that's enough to make most people dismiss it

I'm only asking, because Samsung has always released an official back cover with Qi integrated. <3 Not being able to remove it would obviously mean that they'd ditch that as well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
One can only hope. Qi needs to become a standard quick so we see more of it. Imagine tables at cafes having built in qi chargers.
Apple needs to get in on it. Then things will fall into place.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The new Outlook app is really nice. Combined with the fantastic gmail app and actionable notifications and android is easily the best Mobile email platform since BlackBerry.

thenexus6

Yesterday I went to pick up my sister from school and it started hailing and snowing. I was listening to music and I was getting phone calls, messages, emails. I was too afraid to get my phone out my pocket because of the wet and snow.. time to get a Z3 compact!

Hasney

I'm surprised one of the wireless charging standard supportors haven't offered heavily subsidised parts to Apple for a couple of years. They're easily in a position to be a kingmaker.

OnePlus will be revealing their new operating system named Oxygen OS on February 12. Supposedly boasts a bold, powerful, straight-forward experience:

OnePlus promises that OxygenOS will be "open, customizable, and free of bloat and unnecessary features."....The OxygenOS will be an optional installation....

The Alpha that came out a little bit ago was basically just stock lollipop and that's it. I'm assuming they will have added features. Will be interesting to see what/how much they add to it.

Fatalah

So, Pandora finally revamped their app! Good news? Kind of. They didn't follow material design rules at all. Even worse, there's still no playback controls in the notification dock.

What...the...hell.

As of Spotify's last update, the app loads in a millisecond. Can't see why I'm using Pandora anymore, outside of its lower data usage.

Cheebo

Banned
If Samsung joins the non-removable battery side then I am suspecting the other few remaining holdouts still offering that won't see the need to continue with those features.

I doubt it too. And if they do it'll have some really limited use case. Just look at how they butchered NFC

The watch has inductive charging, but they haven't said if it's proprietary, Qi or PMA. Not sure how they could limit it, if it's either standard.

HLgPRat.png

OnePlus will be revealing their new operating system named Oxygen OS on February 12. Supposedly boasts a bold, powerful, straight-forward experience:

The Alpha that came out a little bit ago was basically just stock lollipop and that's it. I'm assuming they will have added features. Will be interesting to see what/how much they add to it.

Of their OOS is optional, what's the alternative? CyanogenMod?

I'm at work and lazy to post the actual pics but the french website that has been accurately leaking a few things lately has posted schematics for s6 case:

http://www.nowhereelse.fr/dimensions-coque-samsung-galaxy-s6-104680/

looks taller and slimmer and a tad bit wider and shows the ports. Not sure why Samsung is so intent on increasing the screen size yet again. That's why you have the Note line. Keep it at 5 inches gaddamn.

edit: I'm guessing Oxygen OS is optional for existing owners but might be the ROM it ships with going forward.

One can only hope. Qi needs to become a standard quick so we see more of it. Imagine tables at cafes having built in qi chargers.
God, no. People already stay glued to their chairs as it is. Built in qi chargers will make them spend the night.
I'm at work and lazy to post the actual pics but the french website that has been accurately leaking a few things lately has posted schematics for s6 case:

looks taller and slimmer and a tad bit wider and shows the ports. Not sure why Samsung is so intent on increasing the screen size yet again. That's why you have the Note line. Keep it at 5 inches gaddamn.

edit: I'm guessing Oxygen OS is optional for existing owners but might be the ROM it ships with going forward.
Bigger is the future. I think it'll look more premium this way. Added with the supposed non removable back and it will feel premium too.

Sid

The footprint is pretty similar to the S5

I think the page says it's between 5.1 and 5.5".

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

This. I care more about just getting by on my initial full charge from plugging it in at night vs the extra battery thing. Heck I got an external battery pack that I got from my nephew for Xmas that his baseball team was selling to raise money. Never really have needed to use it. I've just kept it in my bag in case shit happens I guess.

Now that HTC made the move to keeping micro SD expansion if need be without a removable back I'm really don't care either way in terms of having a removable battery.

NotBacon

Lol at people still holding on to removable batteries. They're going the way of the dodo. And I'm just sitting over here with a battery that lasts all day, turbo charging, and qi.

Can't wait until SD cards do the same and 64gb internal is the minimum.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm disappointed in N6 battery life but turbo charging is a big deal. It's a game changer IMO. Wireless charging was always cool but just a convenience. Turbo charging is amazing and now a can't go without.

NotBacon

I'm disappointed in N6 battery life but turbo charging is a big deal. It's a game changer IMO. Wireless charging was always cool but just a convenience. Turbo charging is amazing and now a can't go without.

If there is a spot where you commonly set your phone (e.g. couch tableside, desk, etc.) put a qi charger there ;)

I have one on my desk at work so I still usually have 100% by 4pm

tzare

Yup it is amazing. Love it on my note. Hopefully most chargers start to support it. Does iPhone have it?
I miss my note charger when not at home and use a standard charger.
On my note combined with 5h SOT and almost 48h of battery life i charge it 40 minutes while taking a shower and ready to go.Almost never full charge it.

Husker86

I hope the next phone I want has Qi. I am holding off on getting a Qi charger for work (I know they're cheap) because I'd be mad if I only used it for a few months. I like my Nexus 5, but I am still in awe that I've kept an Android phone this long and don't know how much longer that will last.

I like the HTC renders...but I know HTC isn't Qi-friendly.

Bboy AJ

If there is a spot where you commonly set your phone (e.g. couch tableside, desk, etc.) put a qi charger there ;)

I have one on my desk at work so I still usually have 100% by 4pm
I did that with my N5 and it's not as useful IMO. It charges so slowly that a quick 15 minute turbo charge produces better results. Plus, I like to keep my phone in my pocket at work. Otherwise, I worry about it getting misplaced. But for sure, wireless charging is convenient. I should get two N6 phones. Then I'll have unlimited battery.

Top Bottom