• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

I hope the next phone I want has Qi. I am holding off on getting a Qi charger for work (I know they're cheap) because I'd be mad if I only used it for a few months. I like my Nexus 5, but I am still in awe that I've kept an Android phone this long and don't know how much longer that will last.

I like the HTC renders...but I know HTC isn't Qi-friendly.

I don't think Qi works through metal. As long as they keep the metal back, we won't have a flagship with Qi from HTC.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (I want to be).

Sch1sm

Telus in Canada initialized a mass recall of the Z3. Given how well Sony does here, it won't hurt them much but damn.

Yeah, I dont think I know a single person with the Z3 here in Toronto. It's pretty much an iPhone v Nexus/Samsung world. Why's it being recalled, though?

I did that with my N5 and it's not as useful IMO. It charges so slowly that a quick 15 minute turbo charge produces better results. Plus, I like to keep my phone in my pocket at work. Otherwise, I worry about it getting misplaced. But for sure, wireless charging is convenient. I should get two N6 phones. Then I'll have unlimited battery.

You struggled to get one, how can you even entertain the thought of 2? It's like you're a masochist for Google. Stawhp.

Yup it is amazing. Love it on my note. Hopefully most chargers start to support it. Does iPhone have it?
I miss my note charger when not at home and use a standard charger.
On my note combined with 5h SOT and almost 48h of battery life i charge it 40 minutes while taking a shower and ready to go.Almost never full charge it.

iphone 6 doesn't have it but the phone is a surprisingly fast charger but obv nowhere near turbo charging. Hopefully becomes standard this year.

Lol at people still holding on to removable batteries. They're going the way of the dodo. And I'm just sitting over here with a battery that lasts all day, turbo charging, and qi.

Can't wait until SD cards do the same and 64gb internal is the minimum.

I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I'm guessing that whatever the next phone I buy is probably going to be good enough to last me 3 or more years, given how my Note 2 still runs all my apps and games well except for one (the Rayman Runner sequel gets some slowdown).

So with my current phone lasting that long, I'd rather rely on having a battery I can swap out myself easily and cheaply vs. having to send my phone to the manufacturer and have them do it for who knows how much or how long it will take.

And as much as I'd love 64GB minimum, I doubt that'll happen anytime soon. Apple's never had SD cards and only just this year have they finally made it the second tier storage space (for $100 more). Plus having 64GB internal doesn't mean I wouldn't want SD card storage too, especially if I want to download high quality videos on my phone when my internal memory is filled with 10GB apps of the future.

NotBacon

I did that with my N5 and it's not as useful IMO. It charges so slowly that a quick 15 minute turbo charge produces better results. Plus, I like to keep my phone in my pocket at work. Otherwise, I worry about it getting misplaced. But for sure, wireless charging is convenient. I should get two N6 phones. Then I'll have unlimited battery.

Ah, make sure you have sufficient current (or voltage?) supplied. Qi is inherently inefficient, so you need a nice AC adapter.

I threw away the junk one that came with my pad and got this due to the rave reviews. I noticed an immediate improvement in charging speed.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My Nexus 6 can't take close up photos. A quick Google shows that I'm not the only one, so it's not defective hardware. Anyone on GAF encounter it?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Report: LG G4 to Feature ‘3K’ Display, Feature Resolution of 1620 x 2880

lg-vs999.jpg

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/01/3...3k-display-feature-resolution-of-1620-x-2880/

i got nothing

Pachimari

I don't want a higher resolution on the G4 and I'm worried about the design. I hope we get removable batteries and a removable back door.

Maybe I will just end up exchanging my 16gb for a 32gb LG G3 later this year.

NotBacon

My Nexus 6 can't take close up photos. A quick Google shows that I'm not the only one, so it's not defective hardware. Anyone on GAF encounter it?

I've never tried, so I just did and found I needed to be about 5 inches away for it to focus. Fine enough for me as 5 inches still appears really close, but probably not for others. I wonder if it's possible with one of the 'manual' camera apps.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google Now is the new notification center.

I've never tried, so I just did and found I needed to be about 5 inches away for it to focus. Fine enough for me as 5 inches still appears really close, but probably not for others. I wonder if it's possible with one of the 'manual' camera apps.
Glad it's not my phone being defective. Thanks.

longdi

Banned
First Samsung flagship to look cool since the S2... i hope it's real and it remains like this.

Considering that S2 copies the iphone3gs and now S6 copies iphone5s
#samsung'd

Crazy how a simple metal frame makes a phone design that much classier, Samsung should have changed their design lead long time ago.

Husker86

I don't think Qi works through metal. As long as they keep the metal back, we won't have a flagship with Qi from HTC.

Please correct me if I'm wrong (I want to be).

You're right. The common workaround is a plastic logo on the back or something. Or maybe that's just the common "wish" from nerds...I can't tell you a phone that has implemented it.

My Nexus 5 sometimes struggles. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the Google Camera app.

I just got a new Samsung tab 10.5 with a Sim card. Within an hour of setting it up I received a text to it giving me a twitter pin. Is this normal? I hadn't even set up my twitter account yet.

I think as the cameras get better on the phones, the SD card support and swappable batteries will become that much more important to those that have the camera as a priority.

NotBacon

My Nexus 5 sometimes struggles. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the Google Camera app.

There is definitely something up with focusing on Android. Nexus 6 takes INSANE pics when something standing still. Better than any iPhone I've used. As soon as something starts moving at a decent speed, it's the luck of the draw whether it's in focus or not.

This issue better be software related...

Linius

Constantly improving screens is such bs if the human eye can't even see the change anymore. Save that for battery life
JzKGOjM.png

Hasney

Yeah, you can get a full notification or a truncated notification that gets rid of anything sensitive like an excerpt of the message or even go back to the regular notification drawer only notifications.

Wreav

Banned

Even if it is, Google will never directly address it. Better off buying a Moto X Pro when they finally come out in the US (or flashing that ROM), since Moto will be all over the software updates.

this_guy

There is definitely something up with focusing on Android. Nexus 6 takes INSANE pics when something standing still. Better than any iPhone I've used. As soon as something starts moving at a decent speed, it's the luck of the draw whether it's in focus or not.

LG G3 laser autofocus.

Currently using the Motorola X 2nd gen, which I think uses the same sensor as the G3, but the camera is definitely inferior, especially in low light situations. Optical image stabilization, laser autofocus, and software all make a difference.

Milpool

I just checked with manual focus, and the minimum seems to be about 5-6cm, so about 2 inches?

Focusing with the google app has always been ass for me, and it seems to have less features each time they update it.

Top Bottom