• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

LG G3 laser autofocus.

Currently using the Motorola X 2nd gen, which I think uses the same sensor as the G3, but the camera is definitely inferior, especially in low light situations. Optical image stabilization, laser autofocus, and software all make a difference.
It's hilariously bad in low light situations. Software plays a tremendous part in the camera. Apple shows this all the time.

Wreav

Banned
Apple seems to be using some sort of black magic on other cocompanies. They're unable to do what Apple can.
It's really not rocket science. Apple allows much more noise than other OEMs, and that allows them to get more than most companies in shutter speed and low light.

It's really not rocket science. Apple allows much more noise than other OEMs, and that allows them to get more than most companies in shutter speed and low light.
So, if it were that simple, why do OEMs not replicate it? Surely it's a little bit more complicated than that?

thenexus6

I want to get a Z3 compact, however my Nexus 5 which I would sell towards it has a mark on the camera and I can't get rid of it.. Its clear visual in every photo I take. Kinda annoying as I don't think I would get much for it with this problem.

Jigolo

I want to get a Z3 compact, however my Nexus 5 which I would sell towards it has a mark on the camera and I can't get rid of it.. Its clear visual in every photo I take. Kinda annoying as I don't think I would get much for it with this problem.

mine does too. One of the reasons I'm really considering an M9

NotBacon

Do you think they'll ever take a leaf out of their book? Whether it be camera, or squeezing the life out of batteries.

Z3, Note 4, Nexus 6, etc.

I think camera is the last stronghold. Some cameras are great in many ways, but lack the complete package.

I think camera is the last stronghold. Some cameras are great in many ways, but lack the complete package.

None of those do battery as efficiently as the iPhone BC they can't. IOS standby is hands down better than android. Tossing a slighty bigger battery covers this up and does not make it an issue for phones (tablets are another story).

Sch1sm

Too bad the Z3 can't be found at any service provider in the Great White North. Where's AJ to debunk your N6 comment, because his isn't getting this beast battery life you're talking about at all.

Either way, I was talking in terms of how well the utilize battery sizes. Shocking how my iPhone 3GS can easily keep up with my N5, same amount of usage.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
N6 battery is like 33% better than my Nexus 5. It's not worry free at all but it is OK. I run my phones hard.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I was going to say lol. That's not that good.
Yeah, you guys aren't wrong. Maybe it's 50% better. I can't really say 100% yet. I haven't had a regular schedule with my N6 yet. Been on holiday for nearly the entirety of January. What I can say, though, is that it's died on me and I've had to make pit stop charges.

NotBacon

Too bad the Z3 can't be found at any service provider in the Great White North. Where's AJ to debunk your N6 comment, because his isn't getting this beast battery life you're talking about at all.

Whatever. I've seen people get shit battery on the Z3 compact, iPhone 6, Note 4, Nexus 6, and I've seen (and experienced first hand) the exact opposite.

In GENERAL, the phones I listed achieve well above average battery life.

Reckoner

I just got 21 hours on and a little over 5 Sot with my Nexus 6. Browsing the Web with Chrome and watching some TV shows, a few phone calls and messaging. Bluetooth on all the time 'cause of my Pebble.

Just sharing the data. I'll leave the judging to y'all.

Pachimari

I still have no idea why Pushbullet is not an option in my menu in Chrome on Android. Do I have to change something in Chrome or in the Pushbullet app?

asdad123

What browser is everyone using? I've been using dolphin but its been real unstable since the latest update. I've crashed more times than I can count today.

Nexus 6 is the device.

Fatalah

Android Police FINALLY pushed that new look live, logo and all. It's...interesting.

Should have went with...

cancion11.jpg

Sch1sm

What browser is everyone using? I've been using dolphin but its been real unstable since the latest update. I've crashed more times than I can count today.

Nexus 6 is the device.

Just regular old Chrome because Javelin did the same thing in my battery stats that Chrome did. I haven't used Dolphin since this past summer.

XBP

Nexus 6 is the device.

Firefox. Tried almost a dozen browsers and ended up going with it.

SugarDave

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but does anyone know if the Nexus 7 included in this contract is the 2013 model?

http://www.buymobiles.net/contract/...2_1422740414_85c3160a2497f3cfc03576072544d590

The link I followed to this deal said it was, but after adding it to the basket and checking the specs on it that are listed there, they appear to be those of the 2012 version. Normally, I'd just assume the site that linked it made a mistake, but the specs also say it has 16GB storage, when it's clearly being advertised as 32GB. I can't tell who has made a mistake here.

Just thought I'd ask before messaging them on Monday. Also, please tell me if that's a shitty contract. I'm in the market for my first smartphone and don't really know what is a good deal.

Sch1sm

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but does anyone know if the Nexus 7 included in this contract is the 2013 model?

http://www.buymobiles.net/contract/...2_1422740414_85c3160a2497f3cfc03576072544d590

The link I followed to this deal said it was, but after adding it to the basket and checking the specs on it that are listed there, they appear to be those of the 2012 version. Normally, I'd just assume the site that linked it made a mistake, but the specs also say it has 16GB storage, when it's clearly being advertised as 32GB. I can't tell who has made a mistake here.

Just thought I'd ask before messaging them on Monday. Also, please tell me if that's a shitty contract. I'm in the market for my first smartphone and don't really know what is a good deal.

2012 N7. More info doesn't mention the 5MP back camera that the 2013 model has. No idea on the storage, but I think it'll most probably be the 16GB.

Since I'm not under the euro and dont generally know what you'd consider a good price point for plans, I won't answer that. But it seems okay.

Android Police FINALLY pushed that new look live, logo and all. It's...interesting.

Oh wow. Finally. And yeah, it's definitely something. Very Verge-like. But I'm okay with that, because even the mobile site doesn't look like a shitty iPhone OS 2 app anymore.

pootle

I'm looking for some help finding an app-

There are lots of google wear watchfaces, made with facer.

http://facerepo.com/app/faces/square/newest/1

I would like to use them on my phone as just an analogue clock.

It seems like an obvious thing to use facer watchfaces on a phone so I assume there must be an app for it but I can't find it!

Thanks!

Anyone else thinks recent apps on Lollipop is worse actually than before?

Before I could just press the recent apps button and see a complete snapshot of the app screen to lets say read or write something down without going into the app again. Now the app is cut off almost by 2/3 and its useless in lots of cases.

Barely use recent apps now.

Bboy AJ

Anyone else thinks recent apps on Lollipop is worse actually than before?

Before I could just press the recent apps button and see a complete snapshot of the app screen to lets say read or write something down without going into the app again. Now the app is cut off almost by 2/3 and its useless in lots of cases.

Barely use recent apps now.

I think it's much more usable, actually. Feels more fluid and I can quickly get to app to app much faster. I just wish Android would webOS it fully and stop trying to differentiate itself from webOS. That card style was much better. Also, I clear cards from apps I don't use as often. It's more manageable to me. YMMV.

Wreav

Banned
I didn't say things are "a lot worse", I said "a lot of things" are worse. Silent mode, music controls, app switcher, quick setting pulldown, power off menu over simplification.

Not to say there aren't quite a few good additions, but not much worth the pain points so far.

Top Bottom