• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ugh I caved and bought the shitty Nexus 9. Again. That's how unusable my Nexus 10 is.

VoxPop

I love how to OP2 home 'button' rarely ever works on the first try in that AA video.

All in all I think its pretty great for a budget phone. I wouldn't call it a flagship killer as it is far from it. Camera seems decent but not quite good from those videos and not really impressed with the battery life if its just slightly above the GS6. But what can you really expect out of a sub $400 phone. It has great specs for the price. I expect to see USB-C as a standard going forward though. It's a great backup phone or a great budget replacement for people with aging hardware.

Honestly with so many flaws in the Moto, Samsung, and HTC flagships, I can only really look forward to Sony and the Nexus line.

terrier

That is a good price for the nexus 9 even with its shortcomings, i wish it was available in europe for that price, i'd buy one for my mother (or i'd give her my Note8, well maybe not, spen is too useful)

edit: i almost forgot about the One Plus 2. Really no quick charging? what is the purpose of usb type C then? i acan deal without NFC (despite making no sense if you include a finger print scanner and you don't allow NFC payments). And using SD810 seems to be a wrong decision, should've used 805 instead.

mulac

Took the plunge with the LG G4 - been using it a week now (brown leather version) and its nice; enjoying the camera and android seems stable.

Jitters a little bit and coming from silky smooth iOS with my 6Plus it annoys but overall a very enjoyable Android Experience.

Battery life is great sofar aswell! And that screen...woah.

eso76

China measures speed in cores :p

Looks OK (same CPU cluster is sold in some flagships :p ), but makes me wish you could change the clock speed and disable cores to preserve some battery and prevent throttling/skinburn.

Indeed. And it's not the first time I fall for it. Bought a Pipo x7 months ago that gets CPU temps in the 90 C range after playing a couple Flacs in Kodi, with clock dropping to 0.05 GHz ;D (finally bought the heatsinks and pads to prevent that though).

From what I've seen with hardware monitor though, cores in my mobile seem to be "stopped" most of the time and only start working when needed and clock is fluctuating all the time.

I was hoping that it would be a smaller, too much bezel on the OPO. I think I'd have been happier with 808/1440p rather than 810/1080p.

All eyes on this year's Nexus handsets, shame they are probably at least 3 months away.

Uh guys....

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...s-can-be-hijacked-by-malicious-text-messages/

Yeah....might be time to block all MMS from your handsets. This might get really ugly really fast because of the many no-longer-supported Android devices in the wild. There's a billion Androids out there and God knows how many will ever be updated to close these massive and universal exploits in Stagefright. Imagine if there wasn't an obvious way to patch Windows XP on most computers during the days of the worms.

Oh hey Google, your Android update strategy is total shit. You're fucked now, congrats.

terrier

I also think the screen is ok, really, i hardly find differences when using my nexus 5 vs my note4.Even my Ascend G7 with a 720p 5.5 display looks great so no worries there. Battery life is more important, but 810 is an overkill imo. Should have used 801 or 805.
Lack of Quick charging while using the hyped USB C is absolute nonse as is using FingerPrint Scanner without NFC. Makes no sense at all.

1+2 seems decent enough but not going 1440p is a missed opportunity.

Also LOL @ no NFC
to me any phone that goes QHD is the miss. 1080p is the bonus.

Yeah, but other than that, it's as incremental as it gets.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=6902
metal build, camera + soc update, ram is now 4gb and it's ddr4, fingerprint, type c. I'd say that's a bit better than incremental but in the end the price is about the same so it's fair either way.

to me any phone that goes QHD is the miss. 1080p is the bonus.

metal build, camera + soc update, ram is now 4gb and it's ddr4, fingerprint, type c. I'd say that's a bit better than incremental but in the end the price is about the same so it's fair either way.

I guess. It's just really nothing special. The price is okay, as long as you don't have to deal with their CS. My former co-worker had the digitizer issue and they made her take pictures from all sides and angles, record a video and put it on youtube, apply updates, until they finally accepted it and she was able to RMA it. That process took almost two weeks, because they took a while to respond each time and the time zone differences, of course.

Also, no Qi-charging, so who cares about that phone, really.

Doesn't OPO run L?
not when all the reviews came out praising battery life and whatnot. The 810 is probably the second reason. Which is why I really wouldn't mind if the Nexus 5-2 ran an 808. Assuming again the price will be low off contract.

Canadian dollar stays losing. The OP2 is about $100 more here lol.

jetsetrez

Man, OP2 seems like exactly what I want.. except no NFC ugghhh. The resolution is actually preferred for me for any added battery life, the price is killer, and I really like the design, but coming from iPhone.. I need that Apple Pay equivalent. :(

Please Google, $350 Nexus 5 with 1080p screen, USB type C, and Android Pay + fingerprint sensor. I'd even like to switch to Google Fi for it.

Man, OP2 seems like exactly what I want.. except no NFC ugghhh. The resolution is actually preferred for me for any added battery life, the price is killer, and I really like the design, but coming from iPhone.. I need that Apple Pay equivalent. :(

Please Google, $350 Nexus 5 with 1080p screen, USB type C, and Android Pay + fingerprint sensor. I'd even like to switch to Google Fi for it.
belieeeeeeeeeeeeve

terrier

not when all the reviews came out praising battery life and whatnot. The 810 is probably the second reason. Which is why I really wouldn't mind if the Nexus 5-2 ran an 808. Assuming again the price will be low off contract.

Canadian dollar stays losing. The OP2 is about $100 more here lol.

a question, just curiosity. Why 808 and not 805? Seems 805 is the better SOC to me.

a question, just curiosity. Why 808 and not 805? Seems 805 is the better SOC to me.
no reason, never really looked it up. If 805 is better then lets go with that. But again the phone would have to be OP2 price or lower. Aint no one paying flagship prices for this. Specifically referring to the LG nexus if that is forrealz. The huawei nexus I know will be high end as fuck.

terrier

no reason, never really looked it up. If 805 is better then lets go with that. But again the phone would have to be OP2 price or lower. Aint no one paying flagship prices for this. Specifically referring to the LG nexus if that is forrealz. The huawei nexus I know will be high end as fuck.

ah ok, thanks :)

Maybe 805 isn't in production anymore, dunno, but seems more widespread (Note4 nexus6) than 808 and maybe cheaper and more reliable (despite some minor heating issues too, but nothing major unlike 810 series). Also Krait cores. The Galaxy S5+ uses it and with a 1080p display (the Euro version at least) it even blows Note 4 performance.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's like the M8 to M9. A worse phone is being pushed as an upgrade.

Speaking of the Huawei Nexus, I assume it's all metal, like their other expensive phones and you said it's "high end as fuck". Does it still have Qi wireless?

I got the G4 and the shit runs fine. That 808 is pull it's weight. I'm playing MKX on it and it doesn't run choppy.

Seriously though, Sony. Xperia Z4 Compact - 4.7" 1080p screen, Snapdragon 808, 3GB RAM, >2500mah battery, microSD support, IP68 waterproof. I wouldn't have gone for the G4.

Talon

Two versions of the Moto G are real. 1 GB Ram/8 GB Storage + 2 GB Ram/16 GB Storage
At a media event in New Delhi, Motorola unveiled the Moto G 2015. The phone features upgraded hardware in the form of a 5-inch 720p display, quad-core Snapdragon 410 SoC, microSD slot, 13MP camera (the same sensor used on the Nexus 6) offering dual-tone flash and a f/2.0 lens, 5MP front camera, LTE connectivity and a 2,470mAh battery. One major addition with this year's model is the IPX7 certification, which allows the phone to survive in up to 3 feet of water for 30 minutes. Two variants of the handset will be on offer: a model with 1GB RAM and 8GB storage and a higher-storage version with 2GB RAM and 16GB internal memory.

The Moto G 2015 will be available for sale in India from midnight exclusively on Flipkart, with the 1GB/8GB model available for ₹11,999 ($187), and the 2GB version with 16GB storage for ₹12,999 ($203).
Hope the pricing is similar for US. What, probably $199 and $229?

http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-...isplay-13mp-camera-lte-and-ipx7-certification

No new Moto 360 at the announcement today? It starts in half an hour. The invitation says "XGX", the Verge doesn't mention the 360 in their "what to expect" article either and there were no leaks so far.

Speaking of the Huawei Nexus, I assume it's all metal, like their other expensive phones and you said it's "high end as fuck". Does it still have Qi wireless?

No idea, I guess it depends on whether or not the whole thing is metal. Which I think it is? But I honestly don't know that. If the whole thing is metal then I don't think it can support Qi.

I could see the LG nexus supporting it though :p

Saiyan-Rox

No new Moto 360 at the announcement today? It starts in half an hour. The invitation says "XGX", the Verge doesn't mention the 360 in their "what to expect" article either and there were no leaks so far.

No new 360? :(

Google announced a fix for that vulnerability for Nexus devices which will release next week but they didn't say if it would be an OTA or not?

I think Cyanogen already have it fixed anyway

No new 360? :(

Google announced a fix for that vulnerability for Nexus devices which will release next week but they didn't say if it would be an OTA or not?

I think Cyanogen already have it fixed anyway

Rumors are that the XGX is for the Moto X, Moto G and Moto X Sport. The invitation doesn't hint at a new 360 either, now that I think about it.

yZq56PD.jpg

Top Bottom