• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT5| The Sonic Cycle

This phone needs to be $300 or less. The battery will be horrible. It's a Nexus so you get horrible battery and camera. Reviews will call battery life disappointing. I bet battery life will be worse than the s6.
Nah I think battery life will be solid.

In fact this just puts into perspective how terrible the S6 battery situation is. It's QHD, roughly the same screen size, and 2500mah lol. And it's a fucking thousand dollar phone. What was samsung thinking.

And if it's 300/349 I think that's pretty damn good. If it is 349/400 then that's still decent. Canadians are gonna get fucked though because our dollar. I'll probably get the 32gb version. Honestly for a phone I'll likely only keep a year 16gb is probably enough but you never know.

zewone

That main reason I wanted to move on from my Nexus 6 was to get better screen on time.

But now I'm going to likely be giving up AMOLED and a larger screen for roughly the same battery life.

I just need to get a nice portable battery it seems. Fingerprint sensor would have been nice.

That main reason I wanted to move on from my Nexus 6 was to get better screen on time.

But now I'm going to likely be giving up AMOLED and a larger screen for roughly the same battery life.

I just need to get a nice portable battery it seems. Fingerprint sensor would have been nice.

the huawei nexus might have better battery, unless you're not interested in that one. Get an X play.

Nah I think battery life will be solid.

In fact this just puts into perspective how terrible the S6 battery situation is. It's QHD, roughly the same screen size, and 2500mah lol. And it's a fucking thousand dollar phone. What was samsung thinking.

And if it's 300/349 I think that's pretty damn good. If it is 349/400 then that's still decent. Canadians are gonna get fucked though because our dollar. I'll probably get the 32gb version. Honestly for a phone I'll likely only keep a year 16gb is probably enough but you never know.

Samsung uses a much more efficient processor than Qualcomm. Battery life will be worse on the Nexus. I guarantee it. Watch and see.

ArchAngel

You can wait for Marshmallow, it pushed my battery from 4h SoT to 5.5h at work :)

If it's $300/$350 I'll definitely buy one, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're going the pricing route of the original and end up doing $350/$400 which seems kind of ridiculous.

zewone

the huawei nexus might have better battery, unless you're not interested in that one. Get an X play.
I'm not too interested in the Huawei. I prefer the aesthetics of 5-2. Play I'd likely be all over if it were available in the US. I'll have to see how much it will be after the "import" tax I'll have to pay. I may still pick up the 5-2 because I like shiny new things.
You can wait for Marshmallow, it pushed my battery from 4h SoT to 5.5h at work :)

Yeah, Marshmallow has done wonders for my N6 battery life. I've been using it for about a month of so. :)

Yeah 2700mah on a 5.2 inch 1080p screen on an optimized marshmallow build should get good battery life. At WORST it'll be above average.

It's one of those things where you wish it was better but all in all, we're still getting a sequel to the nexus 5 and it still has a scanner and type c and whatnot. It could have been worse. This is android, again. Maybe it's easy for me to forgive it because I know I'll probably upgrade again next year.

I might wait for the Huawei N6 just for a break from LG. Not that I've been disappointed with the build quality on the N5 and N4 or anything, but I'd like to give a phone from another manufacturer a try after having two straight LG phones.

But I'm assuming that the N6 will be at roughly the same price point as last year's N6. Is that correct?

Disappointing will be the number 1 word used in reviews.

lol I don' t know why you're beating this drum. You're not going to be right.

Seems like you're just trying too hard to fight the fact that the most glorious nexus/android phone ever made (nexus 5) is getting better in every single way. It's literally a nexus 5 with better specs and better battery.

Sure it would be better if it were better by a greater margin but hey it will still be an improvement.

Wow, just saw that pic of the new N6. If that's legit, that's definitely an ugly-ass phone.

I'm really behind on phone stuff and was only vaguely aware the N6 was even getting refresh this year.

I bet the huawei nexus looks better in person/better quality renders/different colours but yeah that hump is....something.

I agree. The coloring will be infinitely better. In fact, the renders that Upleaks had made it look much nicer with the black bar being mirrored at the bottom. Still, it's a puzzling design choice.

The rumor is that the phone is made of metal, so the black "window" is to allow for all the sensors (NFC), cellular and wifi signal, etc. to function properly.

Seems like you're just trying too hard to fight the fact that the most glorious nexus/android phone ever made (nexus 5) is getting better in every single way. It's literally a nexus 5 with better specs and better battery.

Sure it would be better if it were better by a greater margin but hey it will still be an improvement.

He's doing it for OnePlus-sempai. In his honor!

tzare

:/ I thought it would be 3000 mAh.
2700 is fine. Why 3000 and not 3100 or 2900? It is only 10% less and while having 25 min extra of SoT is nice it probably won't be bad at all and allow a full day easily. As long as M behaves when in standby mode,seems to be the case, then it will be ok.

Btw the gpu is not as good as 805's adreno 420 but using a 1080p panel is a good choice

Fatalah

So, even though I've disabled Google Calendar notifications for my Exchange account, they're still popping up.

Anyone ever run into this?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Huh. The past few days when I get out of the car, the phone tries to pop up Android Auto or Car or something, it flashes a second, then goes away. What is it?

EmiPrime

2700 is fine. Why 3000 and not 3100 or 2900? It is only 10% less and while having 25 min extra of SoT is nice it probably won't be bad at all and allow a full day easily. As long as M behaves when in standby mode,seems to be the case, then it will be ok.

Btw the gpu is not as good as 805's adreno 420 but using a 1080p panel is a good choice

People like a round number.

I guess we will see who is right soon.

So what's the best/cheapest Verizon (even better if it doesnt have Verizon logos / bloat) Android phone I can pickup on Swappa right now? Nexus 5-2 seems like the logical phone I want this year, but I want a phone now so I have a few months to get use to Android and migrate everything over to google.

or should I just pickup a Moto G while I'm at best buy today? I dont really like used phones..

Nexus 6

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Called the OG Android Police 2700 mah rumor to be true. You 3000 hopefuls were delusional.

well the part about the greatest android phone ever made getting better is a fact :p

How much better is the subject here. But undeniably better.

I'm just talking about battery life. I'm sure camera will be mediocre too, but of course it is an improvement over a 3 year old phone. It's been disappointment across the board for Android this year.

I'm just talking about battery life. I'm sure camera will be mediocre too, but of course it is an improvement over a 3 year old phone. It's been disappointment across the board for Android this year.

I'm actually confident that it will be as good as the G4's -- or at the very least, not garbage like the One Plus Two's.

Still, I agree with you that Android this year has been slacking big time. I blame Qualcomm being late with their shit. I can't believe we're still launching phones with 808's and 810's this late in the game.

Pure is out in a few days. Nextbit is being revealed tomorrow. I'm gonna guess the Pure will be better than either Nexus if you don't care about a fingerprint scanner.

The Pure is QHD with a 5.7in screen, and it only has 3,000mAh.

It will have worse battery life than the Nexus 5. That's for sure.

Camera sounds good though.

Talon

Oh, Android. It never ceases to amaze me how you can lose a whole 3% of battery life from less than 3 minutes of web browsing.

Saiyan-Rox

Pure is out in a few days. Nextbit is being revealed tomorrow. I'm gonna guess the Pure will be better than either Nexus if you don't care about a fingerprint scanner.

Nah fingerprint scanner all the way. The Style looks great but if I wanted it I wouldn't have sprung for the OP2

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yeah, there's a lot of dealbreakers there :-/

Less battery than a Nexus 7? A fucking camera dimple of a tablet? Awful sharpening and knackered WiFi out of the box with Asus history of updates?

Yeah, please give is a new Nexus 7 Google.
Battery is weak. Who cares about camera. Screen is weird. WiFi is weak.

All true. But it's still the best Android tablet out there for the money. And for once, multitasking works.

Yeah, there's a lot of dealbreakers there :-/

Less battery than a Nexus 7? A fucking camera dimple of a tablet? Awful sharpening and knackered WiFi out of the box with Asus history of updates?

Yeah, please give is a new Nexus 7 Google.

This is as good as it gets for Android tablets breh

Quixzlizx

I'm more upset about the lack of 64 GB option than I am about the battery. 16 GB is nowhere near enough, so I don't think 32 GB is going to make me very happy.

Saiyan-Rox

How do you like the OP2 so far?

so far the battery life is wildly inconsistent today I got home with 15% left and Chrome taking 13% battery and Google Services taking 14%

The fingerprint scanner is getting a bit worse and i've noticed that when your press it there's like a second delay before you're actually taken to the home screen which you don't get with on screen navigation. it got quite hot earlier too while on chrome browsing on my lunch break.

Oh and that old Nexus case is back this time with a flip cover

https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/638462761048129536

Top Bottom